Start by marking “Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)

Murder in the White House

(Capital Crimes #1)

Investigating the strangling death of the Secretary of State in the Lincoln Bedroom, White House counsel Ron Fairbanks hears that the Secretary was a womanizer with ties to a glamorous call girl, and finds evidence of unofficial connections with international wheeler-dealers. Fairbanks discovers only a few highly placed insiders had access to the Lincoln Bedroom that fatef ...more
Published October 30th 2001 by Fawcett Books (first published 1980)

Start your review of Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
Brina
My magical mystery tour rolls on with Margaret Truman's Murder in the White House. Truman is the daughter of former President Harry S Truman and after writing a touching biography of her father, turned her hand toward a series of mysteries taking place in the nation's capital. As a lover of both history and mysteries, I decided to give the first book in the series a try.

President and First Lady Robert and Catherine Webster are returning from a key trip to France where they had been promoting an
Arlene Starr
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murder in the White House, Margaret Truman
This is a murder mystery written in third person by Margaret Truman, President Truman’s daughter, who is familiar with the White House, and writes with authenticity. It is not based on factual events however. The book is divided into two parts, the first includes an introduction and a day by day transcript of events as they occur from June 12 throughout June 19. The last part presents the evidence and speculation and reveals the guilty. Don’t cheat
Britney
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books, rtyr
Not a bad start

3.5 star. The President assigns his Special Counsel Advisor to solve the murder. He wants to keep as much as he can from the press. As the killing is being looked into you get some insight into politics and things that possibly go on in Washington. Wasn't a bad start to the series. It will be interesting to see how the next one takes place after the finish in this one.
Heidi
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not a favorite of mine. It's a quick read; I'll give the book that. But that's just about the only positive thing I can say. The ending was really disappointing, and I thought the book contained a lot of unnecessary trash. Also, the author would randomly switch between 1st and 3rd person narrative right in the middle of things, and then suddenly switch back after a paragraph. I'm not sure if this was just really poor writing and editing, or if it was some weird attempt at creativity, but whateve ...more
Judith
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this many years ago. I didn't think it was great then and I don't think it's great now, but it's certainly readable and Truman is competent.

The basic plot: the secretary of state is found murdered in the White House. An investigation by the President's Special Counsel, Ron Fairbanks, a bright young man, reveals some darkness in the Secretary of State's handling of his job. There are different reasons he might have been murdered, but there is a limiting factor: only a small number of per
Doug Warren
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
After the first couple of pages I was coming up with one line reviews to cover this whole book;
"You know those conversations you hear old people having and can't believe anyone in the world would find them interesting, this book was just a boring old person conversation." and "This book would have never been published if she were not a president's daughter." &t.
But, it got better. The dialog was really good and kept the story going. The details and plot action, eh, not so much, b
Terry
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I knew Ms. Truman was a mystery writer, but I never had any interest in reading her works until I visited the Truman’s Little White House in Key West and learned Ms. Truman was inspired by Agatha Christie. Had the two been publishing at the same time, Ms. Christie would not have had to worry about the competition. I guess this was okay as far as a political thriller goes, but I figured out who did it early on, like before page 50. Usually I like figuring things out early and experiencing how the ...more
Keli Wright
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Maybe one of the reasons I loved it was because it was set in Washington DC and written by a first daughter...It was interesting to compare how things were doine in 1980 and how they are now..It is amazing that they even solved crimes back then with no DNA or ballistics or luminol or anything. ..I am going to read the rest of her books..it was a good quick read. I reccommend it for anyone that likes mysteries and the DC area...they even mentioned going to a st. in Alexandria t ...more
Ellen Moore
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. Truman writes extremely well and makes good use of her knowledge of Washington politics as a first daughter who had lived in the White House in creating her novel. I liked the book.
Cathy
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was my first Margaret Truman book. I enjoyed it and really like her writing style. I agree with some other reviewers that the story was a little lacking but it was a very quick read and I will definitely read more of this series as I understand it gets better.
Susan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
House of Cards set in the 1980s

Solid story, well written; perfect for a mystery lover. I couldn't help but imagine a young Francis Underwood as this story's President Webster. Love a good Washington intrigue.
Margie
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I have been meaning to read this for years. It was written by President Truman's daughter, Margaret.
Sharon
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old-fashioned whodunit, by a woman who knows the ins and outs of Washington politics. Even though these were written years ago, they still have plenty of intrigue.
Deranged Dreamer
Jan 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was terrible.
It had so much potential.
But in the end you dont care about any of the characters.
Jeannette
Ryan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was a great murder mystery set in our nation's capital, and penned by Margaret Truman, daughter of former US president Harry S Truman. set around a fictional presidency of Robert Webster, his wife Catherine, in his daughter Lynne. the protagonist in investigator is a security guy, and advisor to the president, Ron Fairbanks. the mystery is that Lansard ' Lan' Blaine, the Secretary of State, is found strangled in the Lincoln bedroom. Ron is tasked with the investigation, with high recommenda ...more
LeAnne
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a first book, it was good. Interesting characters. Built suspense with a slightly surprise ending (I had guessed some of it, but not all.) Having already read many of this series, I can see a slight difference from the later ones - there isn't as much in-depth, behind the scenes look at life in the book's location (in this book, the White House). After reading most of the other Capital Crimes books, I came away with an informative picture of life in the National Gallery of Art, the House, th ...more
Marguerite MacLean
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the first of a series by Margaret Truman that takes place in Washington DC. I had read Murder on the Potomac and enjoyed it, so I thought I would start at the beginning. In this first book there is a murder right in the White House and it falls to Ron Fairbanks, special council to the President to lead the investigation. It's a typical murder mystery. A lot of people are suspects and as we learn more about each character we develop an idea of who-done-it. I loved it because it takes plac ...more
Sara G
This is a decent political thriller style mystery, written by the daughter of an ex-president. The Secretary of State is found murdered in the Lincoln Bedroom of the White House after the President returns from a conference regarding an international trade agreement. The President is appalled, and appoints a young attorney who's friendly with his daughter as special counsel to investigate the murder.

I'll be honest, I only read this one because of the author. I saw some of her books a
Marisa Collett
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Rachel Burke
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. To be fair the first chapter (54 pages) were very, very slow. I was very, very concerned. However, once the book got started (Chapter 2) it was wonderful. Admittedly I'm a policy work who lives DC and politics, but I loved this book. The policy details, the history, and, yes, the mystery. The mystery itself was well thought out, as was the characters and the plotting. I honestly don't think anyone but a former White House residence and insider could have written th ...more
Bobbi
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Couldn’t put it down

Wow, I didn’t see that coming. With most mysteries I usually have a good idea of how it will end. This one completely surprised me. I have read in some of the reviews that the writing was, not as good as it could have been. Maybe so, but I couldn’t put it down and that rarely happens. Looking back, the characters may have been too one-sided, either good or bad, but that didn’t detract from the elegance of the story line. I will be reading more of this series.
Rebecca Mulligan
A wonderful first book!

Margaret Truman's entry into the world of mystery writing is a stellar addition to the genre. As an insider, she knows the workings of the White House and the political maneuvering that takes place in an administration. It is very cleverly plotted and wrongdoer is a true surprise that literally left me breathless. I look forward to reading the other books in the series and highly recommend Murder in the White House.
Leslie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
White House Politics and Murder

Suspenseful and well written. The intriguing plot has some holes put pulls you along fast enough that you don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. The ending was abrupt and left a lot of unanswered questions. All in all an enjoyable, game say and quick read.
Sydney
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, reread, mystery, pre2014
I find this story a bit boring, and dry, even though there are several scenes that could have been full of emotion. I also wasn't a fan of all the body shaming and sexist comments/ attitudes, though I'm sure many of those were simply the prevailing beliefs when it was written. I bumped it up a star because it's set in DC and there was a bit of behind the scenes info on the white house.
Dennis Phillips
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've tried to acess this book fairly but it's difficult to do when the author's dad is my all time favorite president. Keep that in mind when I say that this is a superb, well plotted and fascinating book. This the only Capital Crimes book I have at this time but my wife has read them all and assures me they are all great.
Bonnie Ainsworth
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is starting out to be a great series so far. Margaret Truman is a new author to me, and I think I'm going to find this series intriguing. I have no doubt I will enjoy some books more than others, but so far so good.
Dana Stone
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a fast pace which I liked.

It is the first Margaret Truman book I have ever read.
It pulled you in and you kept reading.
It had a twist at the end which I had not suspected at all.
It was interesting was the most political book I have ever read also.
Karen Billingsley
Excellent first time effort

I was referred to this series by a friend. I finally decided to check it out and I'm glad I did. Really good plot line. Good characters. Now I'm anxious to read another.
Lorraine
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old fashioned mystery!

Just plain fun written in 1980 - so good nostalgia for the pre-internet pre-cell phone age by someone who clearly knew the ins and outs of our Beloved hometown.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: pn 3 21 Jul 03, 2013 03:18PM

• Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2)
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • Murder At Wrigley Field
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • All Hallows' Evil (Susan Henshaw, #4)
  • Vineyard Shadows (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #12)
  • Death of a Schoolgirl (The Jane Eyre Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadow Waltz
  • Bitch Planet #7
  • The Source
  • Sequence
  • Lights Out Lucy (Music City Rollers #1)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • A Being So Gentle: The Frontier Love Story of Rachel and Andrew Jackson
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)