Start by marking “Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana” as Want to Read:
Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana

Reefer Madness: A History of Marijuana

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Reefer Madness, a classic in the annals of hemp literature, is the popular social history of marijuana use in America. Beginning with the hemp farming if George Washington, author Larry "Ratso" Sloman traces the fascinating story of our nation's love-hate relationship with the resilient weed we know as marijuana.

Herein we find antiheroes such as Allen Ginsberg, Robert Mitc
Published November 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Reefer Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reefer Madness

J.C.
Apr 27, 2011 added it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
I read the same paragraph three times and decided to quit. Couldn't break page 55.
Nick
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
History of marijuana. Always best to get an understanding. Has interesting tidbits and what have you (i.e, George Washington cultivated this stuff!)
Elliott Bignell
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining but also truly enraging piece of American history. Sloman has been admirably thorough in detailing the recent history of this fascinating herb and the culture and law that has accrued to it. It cannot in all fairness be said that he has remained truly "objective" as he clearly has a position of his own. However, it can be said that he appears to present facts fairly and has researched the documentation and interviewed the survivors where possible.

It is entertaining becaus
Conor
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a 400 page book which could easily have been a 200 page book. Between actual content, Sloman waxes poetic about how rad marijuana is instead of actually reporting on the facts, which is great, because I'm totally on board with that, but ultimately a huge waste of time. Regarding the actual content, it's definitely comprehensive and he manages to make the book humorous and gratifying to the fellow activist at about every other attempt to do so.

Then there's Sloman's naive attempt to slide
Diane Schneider
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Where many other books look at the history of marijuana use in America, this book examines the history of marijuana legislation in America. The author's analysis of marijuana use comes from interviewing users that don't fit the pattern of the justifications used to create the laws. Written by a former editor of High Times, the research is extremely well-balanced. He talks to people that knew Harry Anslinger, the driving force behind the initial marijuana laws in this country, as well as people c ...more
Zip
Nov 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to understand the roots-or at least the stinky, smokable roots- of our culture wars
This social history of the ongoing marijuana prohibition in the United States is superior, framing all sides of the debate about the legality of marijuana, the rise of the moral entrepreneaur, and the historical roots of one salient social issue in the United States. The end gets sort of fuzzy as Ratso Sloman seems to lose focus-perhaps he sampled some of the subject matter of the book? although the end was not quite the devolution as was De Quincy's ' Confessions of an Opium Earter.' I believe, ...more
Littlevision
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
It took me forever to finish Reefer Madness. Parts of it were more interesting than others and some of it was rather dense, but overall, it's good. I liked it and there is a lot of good information in here.

I was a little confused about the fact that it's written in the third person, though. Larry "Ratso" Sloman tells everything like a huge story, which is fine, but it takes some getting used to.

I'm going to start referring to "repuke-licans" and "Marty the Marijuana mouse" in everyday life now.
Darren
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
really cool book. A lot of information that I had no clue about. It's a history of Mary Jane.
julieta
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drugs, non-fiction
A bit too "yeah man we all do this" in tone, but has some interesting stuff in it.
michelle
Apr 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: potheads, jazz lovers, pop culture fanatics... so pretty much anyone...
read this for my Deviance class in college, and loved every minute of it. definitely sensational, in more ways than one. plus, i just love that the author's nickname is "ratso."
Jennie
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Astonishing historical and social commentary. Didn't finish it (yet another nonfiction I abandoned) but I loved what I read.
Samuel Harris
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Crazy! Life in prison for just brokering a pot sale! The guy never even saw the drugs. Great stories so far and only half way finished.
Dan
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book, read it many a times over the years
James E Gaydos
Ok read

I read a couple of years ago, it starts out as a history book but turns into pot smoking stories. Like the author lost his way.
Dustn
May 04, 2015
Justin
Apr 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Emperor Wears No Clothes: The Authoritative Historical Record of Cannabis and the Conspiracy Against Marijuana
  • Too High to Fail: Cannabis and the New Green Economic Revolution
  • Why Marijuana Should Be Legal
  • Cannabis: A History
  • Pot Planet: Adventures in Global Marijuana Culture
  • Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?
  • Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence
  • Pot Inc.: Inside Medical Marijuana, America's Most Outlaw Industry
  • Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana - Medical, Recreational and Scientific
  • Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World
  • The Social Order of the Underworld: How Prison Gangs Govern the American Penal System
  • Heart of Dankness: Underground Botanists, Outlaw Farmers, and the Race for the Cannabis Cup
  • Smokescreen
  • The Hasheesh Eater: Being Passages from the Life of a Pythagorean
  • Kent State:  What Happened and Why
  • Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide
  • High Society: The Central Role of Mind-Altering Drugs in History, Science, and Culture
  • Foxfire 11
Larry "Ratso" Sloman is best known as Howard Stern's collaborator on what were then the two fastest selling books in publishing history, Private Parts and Miss America.

His most recent book, The Secret Life of Houdini, written with magic theorist William Kalush, was a New York Times best-seller and made international news when Houdini’s relative called for an exhumation of the dead magician’s body
More about Larry Sloman

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed