Start by marking “Home for a Spell” as Want to Read:
Home for a Spell

Home for a Spell

(A Bewitching Mystery #7)

Back to work at her antique shop, Enchantments, Maggie's broken leg makes helping customers a lame proposition-but that doesn't mean the rest of her life is slowing down. While her boyfriend, the magically- inclined Marcus, has some unfinished business to attend to and her best friend is getting ready to tie the knot and move away, Maggie decides it's time to find her own ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Berkley Books (first published November 23rd 2010)

Start your review of Home for a Spell
Myhotstylist
Jan 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
uggg... what a HOT MESS this book was. Mrs Alts books are becomming more and more chick lit than anything. Skim reading worthy at best. The dead body didnt appear until about the 6th chapter, and the entire 7th chapter was a re-hash of all the first 6 chapters. I was litterally able to skim read the last 2 chapters to get a resolution. I seems the NIGHTS are not active at all anymore. Pfft... so much for the whole paranormal theme they had going.

Im sad to say I honestly dont care anymore what h
Elizabeth Drake
Jan 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books, witches
I am getting less and less involved in this series as it goes on. The main character continues to annoy me and her love life bores me to no end. The plot plods along with little to no comic relief and, perhaps the most irritating, for a book that is often shelved with paranormal fiction or modern fantasy - There were no elements of the supernatural whatsoever!
Lea
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crappy
Couldn't finish this crap-tastic book for the life of me. I kept thinking 'maybe once they find a dead body it will get interesting'. Close to half-way through the book, reading painful text and over-wrought dialog (from what I can only assume is a 17 year old writer on a red bull binge) I still didn't have a body, a plot, or any desire to keep reading.
Marissa
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest book in the Bewitching series by Madelyn Alt has heroine Maggie O’Neill side-lined by the broken ankle received in the last book (A Witch in Time). The ankle just isn’t healing as fast as she hoped for and now Maggie feels she’s being a drain on her boyfriend, Quinn. At the same time, her best friend is getting married and preparing to move out of the upstairs apartment where they both live. Feeling a little lost, Maggie decides it’s time for a change and starts apartment hunting. Whe ...more
Andrea Guy
This book was Cute with a capital "C." I found this one at my local library and was seduced by the cute cover. This is one of the few series cozies that I've read that made me wish that I had read the other books in the series. This is Book 7 in the A Bewitching Mystery series. It isn't that this book can't stand alone, but I wanted to know more of the back story between Maggie and her ex-boyfriend.

This is a cozy mystery, but it is more cozy than mystery. The mystery just didn't do it for me. It
Barbara ★
A thoroughly enjoyable cozy mystery set in Indiana. Once again, Maggie O'Neill was in the wrong place at the wrong time! Here she is just trying to rent an apartment when she finds the manager floating in the complex pool. Poor Maggie. If you're reading this series, then you know ex-boyfriend/cop Tom Fielding is involved, as well as her boss, Felicity Dow and her boyfriend, Marcus Quinn. Oh and don't forget her cat, Minnie plays an important role, witches familiar and all that. A quick fun read.
Susan
I generally enjoy this series, but this particular episode drove me nuts! Maggie has been growing as a character throughout the series. However, in this one she reverts to a two year old throwing temper tantrums and hissy fits throughout. It is as if Alt read somewhere 'romances must have tension to keep it interesting' so she threw in a bunch of gratuitous non-issues for Maggie to agonize and whine about. I read these books primarily because they are mystery novels; if I had wanted to read a fo ...more
Erin
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, other books in the series are paranormal comedies and have received high ratings. I thought this was boring and not very interesting. The murder did not happen until Chapter 6 and the solving of the murder was not very thrilling. So, not a fan.
Keriann
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish this one, it was so boring. Nothing ever happened. I got about halfway through and gave up. I hardly ever stop reading, but this one was a chore to even reach the spot that I did. It's a shame because it had potential.
Beverly
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches, 2017
I would have liked this book a lot more of the series didn't end here. It was slated for at least two more books, and they were postponed several times, then fizzled out. Not a satisfying ending to the series...I keep wishing that she would take the series back up!!
LaRaine P
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca-fun
I think maggie's sister needs to be shot in the foot. Then she would have something to bitch about
Risa
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not very bewitching... (very very little "witching" / paranormal at all). Not a very engaging or compelling story.
V
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a mystery / thriller with a little paranormal skills in the protagonist. This book is too simple and juvenile for me.
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Maggie has overdone it and her broken ankle is not fixing as it should, when she realises that Marcus has put his studying on hold to look after her (and finds out that her best friend Steff and Steff's fiance Dr Dan will be moving in a few months) she decides to look for a reasonably priced (rent wise) ground floor apartment, she finds a possibility through Marcus's Uncle Lou and whilst the apartment manager gives her the creeps she doesn't anticipate finding him dead before she could sign on t ...more
Nicole
I know I read this book, but I don't remember anything about it (including how much I liked or disliked it).
IslandRiverScribe
This is the 7th entry in the Bewitching Mystery series, with a storyline that begins approximately two weeks following the conclusion of the previous novel, A Witch in Time. Like its predecessors, this is definitely not a standalone novel. The previous entries in the series have built considerable backstory that is necessary to the comprehension of all that happens in this tale.

In this story the murder occurs about one-third of the way through the book. Again Maggie and Marcus discover the body
Doris
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, cozies
I read several in this series back to back, although not in order. I have to say that this one did not hold my attention like the previous books – I actually fell asleep reading it.

One of the strong points of this series, and this book, is the building of the relationship between Maggie and Marcus, who were attracted to each other from the first meeting. Here, they are working together on compromises and becoming one, instead of the normal series books which have the main character going back a
Rachelle
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again: For an 'empath' Maggie is extremely obtuse. Should the reader be able to see a motive for murder before the 'psychic' does? I don't think so. She's too busy mooning over her oh-so-perfect-best-man-in-the-whole-world boyfriend, and not working at the job she's always flaking out on to be reading signals or clues or being observant in any way.

Also, the witches in this series are appearing less and less magical. They posture a lot. Play wi
Marlyn
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie O'Neill is slowly adjusting to her recently discovered empathic abilities. But breaking her leg and being forced to stay with someone, even if it is her new guy Marcus, is frustrating for the normally independent young woman. She's even more frustrated when she finds out that Marcus is considering delaying going back to school for a degree until she's better. Since she can't go back to her own basement apartment, and her best friend/neighbour Steff is moving away anyway, she decides to lo ...more
Kirsti
Never a good idea to start a series with book 7, although with Mystery it generally doesn't matter. It does with this series though, because there is obviously a lot of background information I'm missing (Tom, Magick, Liss, Steff all that jazz) I felt slightly off kilter the entire time, although I did enjoy the book itself. I felt like the mystery element was a little lacking though, because the body takes a long time to appear, and the actual mystery was one of the weakest I've read in any coz ...more
Darkand
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Madelyn Alt does it again with another wonderful installment of her Bewitching series. This one really didn't have that witchy flavor but it was still a great read. I'm hoping to see more of the supernatural themes (from previous installments)in Maggie's future as she continues on her path of personal enlightenment and I really enjoy the growing relationship between Maggie & Marcus ~ if I could request a little more steam please ~ *heh*. Now if we could just fix Liss up with a hunky warlock or s ...more
Sue Em
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed this "witchy" series and I enjoyed this one as well. There was less paranormal edge, but the characters are still fun. While the nefarious activities of the victim are more obvious to the reader than the characters, the solution to the mystery isn't.
Anne-Kathrine
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
I have really enjoyed this whole series so far. Love seeing Maggie grow :) Love the romance between Maggie and Marcus :) Looking forward to reading the next book.
N.N. Light
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I can't get enough of this series!
Clara
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally liked the main characters of the book, namely Maggie and Marcus. Yet the criticisms in the other reviews are quite accurate. Not only does the story move very slowly but the author had Maggie repeat several times each experience she had to a new person- definitely lots of skimming rather than reading at these parts. But what actually made it really hard for me to read this book, and actually left me quite frustrated and angry, was the following:
(stop here if you don't want small spoi
Bedrooped Bookworms
I really loved the first few books in this series, and I think they quickly went from paranormal murder mysteries to relationship dramas with a tiny amount of mystery and an even tinier amount of paranormal. There are so many plot lines that could have been written into this story that were skipped. We haven’t heard from the N.I.G.H.T.S group in several books. A few members pop up occasionally, but no group magick of any sort. Maggie and Liss have a great relationship that isn’t explored much mo ...more
Wanda Paryla
Juliewheatcox.Net
This story felt plodding until around the last third or so when it finally got interesting. The main character’s run-on sentences got to be a bit much at times. She talked like a teenager rather than a grown adult.

Nothing about the book felt developed. The only backstory was Maggie’s past relationship with Tom, but there was no indication how long it had lasted or how serious it had gotten.

Liss, Marcus, & his uncle all seemed like great people, so there were redeeming qualities throughout the bo
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives
Not enough murder mystery and way too much about the heroine’s life. This wouldn’t be as much as a problem if her life was more interesting. The book was also repetitive, recapping the plot too often and going on and on about how the town was suffering from some unknown evil. It was nice though to see the author acknowledging the big problem with any series of cozy mysteries - too many murders for a small town.
Brady
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disgusting transmisogyny made me wish I'd never picked this one up, or frankly any of the others before hand.

A bad and senseless choice when it could have been taken in literally any other less offensive direction. If the next book ever comes out I won't be reading it.

I hope someone else gets saved from reading this bs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Thank You Dr Seal 1 3 Oct 04, 2014 09:17PM

• Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Better Read Than Dead (Psychic Eye Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • A Vision of Murder (Psychic Eye Mystery, #3)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1)
  • Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1)
  • Potions and Pastries (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
From the Authors Website

Madelyn Alt is the national bestselling author of the witchy and hip Bewitching Mystery Series, published by Berkley Prime Crime. The Bewitching series features small town single girl and fledgling empath Maggie O'Neill, her witchy boss, and an unlikely circle of ghosthunting friends, the N.I.G.H.T.S., as they investigate an increasing level of paranormal disturbance--not

A Bewitching Mystery (8 books)
  • The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1)
  • A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)
  • Hex Marks the Spot (A Bewitching Mystery, #3)
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • A Witch in Time (A Bewitching Mystery, #6)
  • In Charm's Way (A Bewitching Mystery, #8)