Start by marking “Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4)” as Want to Read:
Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4)

Next to Die

(SEAL Team 12 #4)

Penny Price dreads the sound of her ringing phone. She's convinced that the person barraging her with threatening calls is a man who got away with murder--her father's. Armed with evidence but branded a target, Penny's only salvation is the playboy nextdoor--Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander Joe Montgomery. The sole survivor of the worst disaster in Special Forces history, Jo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 1st 2007 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Next to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next to Die

Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighThe Darkest Hour by Maya BanksUnlawful Contact by Pamela Clare
I Love A Man In Uniform
1,524 books — 1,568 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardAfter the Night by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareNaked in Death by J.D. RobbUnlawful Contact by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
1,966 books — 2,851 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4)
Paige  Bookdragon
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, read-2015, meh
You know it's a sign to DNF a book when instead of being engrossed in the story, you're wondering if your Dragon City egg has hatched or if you have to feed your Blizzard Dragon to gain a few XP.
Jonetta
Navy SEAL Joe Montgomery was the Officer in Charge (OIC) of a mission gone horribly wrong. He returned hollow and damaged, both physically and emotionally. His neighbor, physical therapist Penny Price, finds her way into his head and eventually his heart, while dealing with her own family nightmare.

The beginning of the story had my heart pounding and I could vividly visualize that ill-fated mission. His mental struggles felt authentic and hooked me emotionally. Penny seemed to be the ideal anti
Buggy
Opening Line: “Break contact” Joe whispered through the interteam radio, and he and the three SEALs in his command stepped off the trail to descend as quietly as possible into the wooded ravine.”

Well as it turned out I’m in the minority with Next To Die because I liked the idea of this story more than the actual follow through. I guess I was just expecting more from my dark, tortured hero, who was meant to be “drowning his quilt in a potent mix of alcohol and isolation” after becoming the sole s
Auntee
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense
Lt. Penny Price is a physical therapist in the Navy. Her hunky next door neighbor, Joe Montgomery, is a Navy SEAL Lt. Commander recovering from injuries he suffered in a mission that went so horribly wrong that he was the only survivor. Joe is dealing with a lot of survivor's guilt and blames himself for the loss of his teammates and takes to the booze.

His neighbor Penny (who has a long standing crush on him and who he has never really paid much attention to) coincidentally becomes his physical
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was just about to file this series in the 3 star category when Marliss Melton ups the ante and produces a four star read. Three storylines overlap seamlessly and one in particular links this book back to the Seal Team 12 theme. Additionally, the major romance between Ms Average Penny Price and the love 'em and leave 'em Joe Montgomery develops in a very realistic way which makes a nice change from the insta love in a lot of today's romantic suspense novels.

One secondary character I find very
Christa
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksfree-com
Next to Die was another wonderful romantic suspense novel by Marliss Melton. Although all of the books were great, this fourth book in the Seal Team Twelve series is my favorite so far. I enjoyed the dynamics between the hero and the heroine, and it was good to see several characters from the previous books mentioned.

Joe Montgomery is the only survivor of a SEAL mission that turned tragic. He is having trouble dealing with the aftermath of the incident, and he doesn't appreciate what he sees as
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Romantic Suspense

Next To Die is a really good romantic suspense read. It's obvious that author Melton has a lot of respect for military men and women and tries hard to be as accurate as possible in her depiction of military etiquette and protocol. This is book four in Melton's SEAL Team 12 series, and I read it without reading the first three books, so I was a little bit confused regarding some of the characters. However, I still really enjoyed it and plan to read the rest of series.
Anita
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better and better. All the books can be read as standalones, but the characters from previous books make appearances as supporting characters, but their stories aren't rehashed. I really, really like that. The romance is slow to develop and the mystery/suspense takes its' time to develop. Unfortunately, I nailed the baddie from the beginning and it made me sad.

Joe is a commander and normally doesn't lead the team on an op, however, his senior chief has a high fever and the
Pamela(AllHoney)
My fave of the series so far. Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander Joe Montgomery comes home from a tragic mission a changed man. His next door neighbor, Lieutenant Penelope (Penny) Price has a crush on the tormented SEAL and problems of her own. Exciting, yet heartbreaking at times. There is a second romance between Penny's sister, Ophelia (Lia), and Navy SEAL Vinnie DeInnocentis.
Wendy
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mar-16
Loved this 4th book in the SEAL Team 12 series!
Angela
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Next to Die
Marliss Melton
Warner Books

Penny Price happily leads a typical, boring life, secretly harboring a crush on her playboy, Navy SEAL neighbor—until her father’s killer begins stalking her, and leaving threatening messages on her answering machine that is. Desperate to help the FBI catch the killer, and keep herself and her sister safe, Penny enlists the help of her handsome neighbor.

Joe Montgomery hasn’t participated in a field mission for years, and just his luck the time he does he’s in
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars (rounded down due to grammar irritations, but I may raise to four when I get over my ire...)

One thing that really irritated me (I'm probably the only one but...) a few times the author narrates with "Lia'd vs Lia had" and "father'd versus father had". It felt so off as it wasn't a character's speech pattern but the narrator and it was like nails on a chalk board and pulled me out of the story each and every time. While I was pulled out of the story I would rant and then had to remember
Robin
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Navy SEAL Lt. Commander Joe Montgomery is having trouble coping with the death of several Navy SEALs under his command. He is not sleeping and is drowning his guilt in alcohol. His neighbor, Penny Price, notices his injuries and begins asking him questions. Joe puts her off with a cold shoulder, but that doesn't last long when he discovers Penny is his new physical therapist. As Joe and Penny get to know each other, he learns that someone is harassing Penny and her younger sister, Lia. They beli ...more
fleurette
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't think I have read anything by Marliss Melton before but I'm glad I did it now.

Penny has a crush on her neighbour from Navy SEAL Joe who has just came back from the mission only he survived. While Joe is dealing with the demons in his head, Penny has to face her father's killer. It's good she has her sexy neighbour so close.

I definitely liked the characters, they are interesting and well developed despite the fact that the story is quite short. I also like the background romance between P
Colleen
My favorite of the series thus far. Maybe it's because of it's ties to a real mission that went horribly wrong, I don't know, but the main characters in this book seemed so real. Really pulls at your heart strings!!
Elaine
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love those seals! Great series!
Jazzypom
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it

If you're tired of mawkish romances, or the pretty pretty sugar spun writings of Ms. Roberts, Ms Melton's books might be up your alley. Currently, she's writing a series of books about men in the elite US Navy organisation - SEALS. Her male characters are different from the other writers out there, like Roberts, Quick ,Krantz, McNaught or Philips.

These aren't the slick, brooding Heathcliff archetype favoured in most other romances, these men are mean and hurting but have their own moral code.
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Next to Die is the 4th book in Marliss Melton's Seal Team 12 Series and my favorite book so far.

This book centers around Navy Seal Joe Montgomery who is home after recovering from injuries from a mission in Afghanistan that killed his entire team. He is suffering with survivor's guilt and drowning himself in liquor to get through the guilt he feels. His neighbor is Lt Penny Price a physical therapist in the Navy who has had a crush on Joe for awhile but he hasn't noticed Penny since h
Amy
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book at 2:00 this morning -- a great read, part of Melton's "Navy Seals" series, Penny Price dreads the sound of her ringing phone.She's convinced that the person barraging her with threatening calls is a man who got away with murder--her father's. Armed with evidence but branded a target, Penny's only salvation is the gorgeous hunk next door--Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander Joe Montgomery. The sole survivor of the worst disaster in Special Forces history, Joe has been drowning hi ...more
Kristen
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you love great romantic suspense with a twists, you'll join the Navy Seal Series by Marliss Melton. In Next to Die, Lte. Penny Price is a physical therapist, who has deep feelings for her next-day neighbor, Commander Joe Montgomery. But she wants a family and marriage, when he's just a play boy, who doesn't know how she feels. But when he meets her after saving the war, she helps Joe in more ways than one, by talking and listening, and by taking his heart. Montgomery has some emotional guilty ...more
Carrie
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
3.5-4* Overall very enjoyable, but a little shaky in spots. Two intelligent adults ought to be able to express their feelings to one another. It's called communication! It wasn't a major problem in the book because the suspense plot kept the feelings of the main characters from being the only conflict going on. That's what saved this from being just an average, 3* read. I enjoyed the secondary characters as well. Melton remains one of my favorite authors for a quick, satisfying romantic suspense ...more
Stephanie
Penny and Joe are a great couple. I loved the build up to their relationship. Considering the circumstances the story was based on, it was not too much on the angsty side.

Lia, Penny's sister, and Vinny one of the other SEALS is a great side story.

Marliss Melton knows her stuff and writes very fast paced romantic suspense with medium steam.
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, suspense
A good romantic suspense with plenty of exciting action and an enjoyable secondary romance. I really liked the heroines humanity and how she reached out to everyone. SEAL Commander Joe comes home from a terrible mission to find his neighbor Navy Lt Penny has taken care of his cat.
Mareli
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Truth to be told, Penny is a bit lame for me. I prefer heroines more lively. And, I didn't like the fact he didn't take notice of her until she went knocking at his door... :(

But the story is good.

Onto the next one
Kathrynn
Book #4 in this series and I enjoyed this entire military-style, modern, romantic series. There are two wonderful romances going on at the same time in this one. I liked them both.
Sunny
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a little skeptical because I was underwhelmed by book one. However, each book since has been better than the last. I hope the trend continues. On to the next book.
Deborah
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this one as well as I did the other ones. It seemed to drag a little bit. However, it was a captivating, suspenseful romance. I liked how you got a brief update on the previous characters. I would recommend it.
Maeve
Our heroine, Penny, is actually fine. Her sister, on the other hand, needs to be booted - this chick totally ruined the book for me - selfish, self-centered, narcissistic, you name it. And the "hero" - well, Penny deserved better - but he did improve towards the end.
Choilyn
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the suspense scenes!!! Love Joe Montgomery!!!
Vicky
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it. Nice easy read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)
  • Hard Target (Cobra Elite, #1)
  • Marked  (Hostage Rescue Team #1)
  • Deadly Fear (Deadly, #1)
  • In Her Sights (Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunters, #1)
  • Born Wild (Black Knights Inc., #5)
  • Disavowed (Hostage Rescue Team #4)
  • Nobody But You (Cedar Ridge, #3)
  • Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)
  • The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1)
  • Isn't She Lovely (Redemption, #0.5)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • To Die For (Blair Mallory, #1)
  • Deadly Heat (Deadly, #2)
  • Beg for Mercy (Dead Wrong, #1)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Seduction Game (I-Team, #7)
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
aka Marliss Moon.

Marliss Melton is the author of over a dozen counterterrorist/romantic suspense stories, including two Navy SEALs series (SEAL Team 12 and Echo Platoon), a counterterrorist Taskforce Trilogy, three novellas, and two short stories. She relies on her experience as a military spouse and on her many contacts in the Spec Ops and Intelligence communities to pen realistic and heartfelt s

SEAL Team 12 (8 books)
  • Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1)
  • In the Dark (SEAL Team 12, #2)
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • Don't Let Go (SEAL Team 12, #5)
  • Too Far Gone (SEAL Team 12, #6)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • Long Gone (SEAL Team 12, #8)