Start by marking “The Shadow Things” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Things

The Shadow Things

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The Legions have left the province of Britain and the Western Roman Empire has dissolved into chaos. With the world plunged into darkness, paganism and superstition are as rampant as ever. In the Down country of southern Britain, young Indi has grown up knowing nothing more than his gods of horses and thunder; so when a man from across the sea comes preaching a single God ...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Ambassador-Emerald International

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Things

Allison Tebo
Did not finish . . .

Jennifer Freitag is a good writer, and very reminiscent of one of my favorite writers - Rosemary Sutcliff - but I was very disappointed by this book. I had expected a little more from this author, but unfortunately, she is like so many other Christian authors that seem to find it imperative to fill their books with gratuitous content that adds nothing to the book itself.

Rosemary Sutcliff was not a Christian writer, so I expected to find scenes in her books that needed editi
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for violence, intense content, and mild romance
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I started this book because I wanted to listen to something on my Kindle while I worked, and I am trying to read a bunch of books from the Homeschool Authors blog this year. I knew I was going to get a well written story, but I was not prepared to be amazed by it.

This story captured not only my imagination, but also my heart. I don’t think I have ever read a book with so many hard/sad events in
Schuyler
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Abridged review; check out the full version here.

You know a book has captured you when you start bargaining with it.

"If you end this way, then I will review you on my blog tomorrow. If you end this way, then I shall be really unhappy and THINK about reviewing you on Friday."

I'm sure the book was terrified at the possibility of delay.

There are many things to admire about the story crafting; the first of which is what others have mentioned before me. Word weaving is a skill to be learned, mostly t
Suzannah
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like many of the home educated, I grew up reading the occasional Rosemary Sutcliff book. Sutcliff's novels were often set in ancient or early medieval Britain, meticulously well-researched and exquisitely written. While I did (and do) appreciate Sutcliff's deep characters, historical detail, and mature writing style, there always seemed something missing in her books. They rarely left me feeling satisfied; often, they left me depressed or (as with The Shining Company) deeply traumatised! Eventua ...more
Katelyn
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
The best part of The Shadow Things, in my mind, is the quality of the writing. The author was able to create such vivid pictures within the words she wrote. Pictures of light and beauty, thunder and pain. There is such a depth in them, such a knowledge behind them, and such a grace to them. They pull at one's heart and make it ache. Without a doubt, Jennifer Freitag is an adept, and grace-filled author. Her prose is beautiful, effortlessly beautiful. Her writing reads like magic.

The characters
Debbie
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, historical
"The Shadow Things" is a Christian historical novel set in southern Britain, apparently sometime in the late 5th century. There was a nice level of setting and everyday historical detail to bring the story alive in my imagination.

The main focus of the story was about a few members of a pagan tribe choosing to follow Christ and the conflict between them and those in the tribe who still followed the pagan ways. The story contained a number of discussions about God and how Christ can give salvation
Abigail Hartman
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
A vivid story set in a dark and oft-forgotten time and place - the Downlands of Britain just after the fall of the Roman Empire. The writing is beautiful and at times heart-wrenching, and the whole story carries a powerful theme.
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good! A sweet, truth filled story, leaving me hungry for heavenly things, thirsty for living water and so glad to belong to the kindhearted "Christos".
( Also, I loved its size! Long enough to be well told, but short enough to not require too much commitment : )
Elisabeth
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The Shadow Things is an unusual book, at least in my experience, both in its choice of subject and the fearless way in which it delivers its message. Set in ancient Britain, it is the story of a pagan chieftain's son who receives the Christian gospel from an outsider, and faces difficult choices and persecution from those closest to him following his acceptance of it.

I felt for a while in the first part of the book that there was a good deal of exposition; that the characters' interac
Rachel Heffington
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers 14+
The Shadow Things....
Reading Jennifer Freitag's book was like reading one of Rosemary Sutcliff's Roman-Britain novels--only better because Jenny happens to focus on Christianity in her plot and characters, which I loved.
Her descriptions, as usual, are impeccable and blood-red and living.
The plot centers around Indi, a young man and a pagan, and his journey to Christ through a series of dark, desperate, and impacting events. I loved the characters--Indi, yes, but the side characters: Procyon, the
Kendra Ardnek
I read this because I follow the author's blog and have heard some pretty high opinions. It took me a while to get into it though, partly from computer/kindle issue.

Round about 30-40% of the way through I finally got my Kindle app to behave and was I was hooked. I could not put the book down.

This is a type of story that you don't see often - or, at least, I don't see very often - unless you go back and read books by Henty or Sutcliff. It's about a chieftain's son in a changing Britan. Rome is go
Leanna
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had ment to write a review for this book long ago...I am afraid I was so much so in awe of the story and wordcrafting I had read that I only ever got as for as commenting my thoughts in a pages read update status. "There are times one wishes books weren't so vivid. Then one wouldn't feel the need to cry or want to punch the villians. That I supose is the mark of a great writer. Amazing story crafting, Jenny Freitag" For a more cohesive and informative review I would probably recomend Katie's r ...more
Jonathan
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical fiction readers
Shelves: general-fiction
Full disclosure: the author is my sister-in-law. I mention this not to justify the review I’m about to write, but simply by way of complete honesty. In the same interest, if the book were in any way significantly flawed or deficient, it would be my duty to say so. Happily this is not the case. More than just a tale of trial and suspense, this story is imbued with the timeless truth of the Light of the world.

Toward the first part, the story itself is quite compelling. The brisk pace of events f
Carmel Elizabeth Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts:
Wow. This book is so spiritually encouraging and inspiring, yet without being...stuffy. It was very refreshing, in my opinion. The characters were well-written and believable (those of you who know my qualms with Elsie Dinsmore will know how much this meant to me). I have to say, my favorite character was Indi. Ack, I just loved reading about him. His thought-processes were similar to mine. His patience was ah-mazing.

When I first started it (I took it to school ready during study h
Ness Kingsley
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm very much a fan of Rosemary Sutcliff and this books possesses echoes of her style – in the beautiful prose which almost reads like poetry.

This isn’t a clichéd book. Seriously. It isn’t. The twists and turns I found to be entirely unexpected – especially the ending.

And it isn’t a pleasant ‘let’s eat rainbows and ride unicorns’ tale. Oh no, of course not. There was a particular character who only appeared in a few scenes yet who I grew attached to. I was rooting for her survival. She was so wi
Jillian
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading the last page, setting it down, and just letting it soak in, one can't help but ask themselves why an author like this remains so obscure.

Jennifer Freitag is brilliant.

It's quite an unimpressively-sized book, with a lovely but fairly simple cover design--nothing flashy, nothing showy--but as for what's between those covers...there's nothing unimpressive or simple there!
It has a wonderful set a well-rounded, very likable, and fully believable characters. I loved the post-Roman Bri
Ashley Tahg
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Thats the one word to describe Jenny's novel. The emotion was pure cut, nothing overally dramatic. It was realistic, gripping, and heart rending all the same. Indi's change of life and believe wasn't a dramatic all of a sudden thing, but it wasn't drug out to such an extent of boredom. His broken hearted devotion to Sillvia when she cheated on him. Lenag's quiet love for Cynr even during his cruelets moments (though, her last straw might've broken when during the certian part towards ...more
Serena
Jennifer Freitag has a beautiful writing style. I have enjoyed following her blog for some time now, and was excited to discover The Shadow Things in my local library. And the writing did not disappoint--it was full of rich description and well-woven language.

In fact, it was a beautiful novel all the way through. I found the plot riveting, and Indi's journey moving. All of the characters, good and "bad," were very well written and fleshed out. And the introduction of a loving God provides a beau
M
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book is set in Britain after the Roman Legions have left and the world has fallen back into darkness and paganism. Set in one of the tribes of southern Britain, Indi has grown up in a culture of angry gods that capriciously vent their whims on the people. Then a man from across the sea comes preaching a single God, slain on a cross. Indi slowly comes to believe the truth of the One God, yet in so choosing, he becomes the the scapegoat for everything bad that happens to his people. The book l ...more
Hannah
Jennifer Frietag is a talented author. Think Rosemary Sutcliff plus C.S. Lewis. Think beautiful words woven together like a tapestry, showcasing the incredible truths we find in the Bible, all through real-to-life characters.

As for this book... I read it two years ago. Twice, so that I could have clear thoughts about it. I still don't. Perhaps if I read it again, now that I'm a little older?
I'm confused by the book because my thoughts were so different from the other reviewers. For me, while the
Hayden
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was infinitely better than I originally thought it was going to be. I don't normally care for depressing stories, and mark my words, this one can get a little depressing with the pagan practices and how they clash with Christianity (actually, this book reminded me a lot of a biography of Saint Patrick that I read.) but it was also a very powerful story, despite the novel's short size.

I wouldn't recommend this to younger readers because it can get a little disturbing and there are some
Sarah Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so very intriguing. A great read! It displays well the struggle people of tradition have when thrust into a world of change.

This is the tale of Indi, a Chieftain's son in a pagan tribe, and his difficult journey of faith in the one true God, the Christos. Estranged from his own family and demoted a slave in his own home, Indi learns to rely on the living God and in return gains peace and eternal life.

To read the full review, visit my blog: Sarah, Plain & Average (http://sa
Isis Macnamara
Oct 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Warning! Warning! That's the warning label this book ought to have had. Advertised as "in the spirit of authors like C.S. Lewis" it is instead a novel about how pagans are bloodthirsty and wrong while Christians are gentle,good and right. It was pretty stomach churning and historically inaccurate to boot if you know anything about the tribes of Britain around the time the book takes place.
Angela
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 14+
This book was truly a masterpiece - just beautiful! There were some things I disagreed with, however, about her theology, but not so much that I wasn't able to appreciate the book. I thought it was pretty amazing the way the author was able to weave in all the "talks" about God without making anything awkward.
Valerie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love Jesus/Yeshua
Shelves: historical, christian
This little book started out unassumingly, but by the time I got to the end, I thought my heart would stop. Wonderfully written story of a young man's journey from the darkness of false gods to the Light of the true God, set in post-Roman Britain. Books like this make my heart sing.
Diana Jackson
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A much enjoyable if not challenging read. It was perfect for the moment for me and I know several others who would like it too. I've chosen it for my guest blog review on www.dianamj.wordpress.com
Cindy
Reveiw upcoming...
Eyebright
Mar 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennifer Freitag is an author of young adult historical fiction (THE SHADOW THINGS) and fantasy (PLENILUNE). THE SHADOW THINGS and PLENILUNE are available through Amazon.
More about Jennifer Freitag
“Though he slay me, yet I will praise him," he began softly, his voice a little tremulous at first. "I will rise up in the morning with the dew and praise his name. He has given me a place to serve him, a name with which to be known. He has called me forth and made my heart race with the wind on the Downs, made me soar with the blackbird in the evening. So though he slay me, yet I will praise him. Though sorrows be my lot, yet I will sing. When my last tear has fallen I will take up my song again, I will praise his most glorious exalted name.” 10 likes
“Creation groans, awaiting the revelation of the sons of God. It remembers, I think, in dreams, the wonders of the sinless, perfect world. You can hear it in the wild tinkle of the wind through the beech leaves, the splashing of water through cold, crystal streams, the beauty of a hind poised against the sky on a hilltop, and al through heartbreaking, beautiful things that surround us each day. They are memories, dear Indi, memories of long-lost days when God walked with man and all was well [...]
But all these beauties we see are but dreams in the night, whispers of a hope to come beyond the end of this Age, that wonderful Other Thing. [...] God will not settle for imperfection, but He works His own ways in His own time. That is what we are living for, that is what stirs our sweet dreams each night, both us and the world, and that is what keeps us going through the dark: knowing that a morning is coming. And while we love the beauty of our world, we must remember that it is only a type, a shadow thing, very faintly resembling what is to come.”
9 likes