Start by marking “Dairy Queen” as Want to Read:
Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  25,533 Ratings  ·  2,514 Reviews
When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D.J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.

Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. W
Audio, 0 pages
Published May 23rd 2006 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published May 22nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dairy Queen, please sign up.

Katie They end up having a "thing", where they both like each other and they both know it but they don't officially date in the first book. You get bits and…moreThey end up having a "thing", where they both like each other and they both know it but they don't officially date in the first book. You get bits and pieces about why the family split between Bill and Win and the rest of the family. Bill does come back for a day at the end of the book.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults and people of the female variety
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Tatiana
*Kat picks up book*

"What the hell is wrong with the cover? What were they THINKING?

*Twenty pages in*

"I'm reading a book about a dumb hick milking cows? Great! What the hell was Tatiana thinking, recommending me this book!"

*Fifty pages in*

"Hmmm, it's kind of interesting I suppose. D.J. is funny and cute... Brian is alright."

*One hundred pages in*

"Oh! I wonder what will happen next! This is really sweet! I didn't realize American football is so interesting and exhilarating!"

*Two hundred pages in*

"
Aj the Ravenous Reader
A very cute story about a 15 turning 16 year old girl named DJ who has only ever known life in her dad’s farm. She’s responsible, does what everyone expects of her, obedient and hardworking. Not much different from the cows she milks every day.

“And that’s what put me to sleep. Thinking about cows or elephant poops.” (LMAO!)

One day she decides she doesn’t want to be a cow anymore (and I mean this in a completely metaphorically way, so chill!)^^ and that’s where the plot becomes really interesti
Tatiana
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a light realistic YA story
Recommended to Tatiana by: ala
Shelves: ya, chick-lit, 2010
After being burned MANY times by crap YA books, I made a decision to only read those that at some point earned critical recognition (if I judged books by GR reviewer's ratings, I suspect I would have to work my way through nonsense like Hush, Hush, Evermore, and The Luxe and I am not sure I am up for it any more). Dairy Queen made it to ALA's list of best YA books in 2007, so I decided to give it a try in spite of the awful cover and title. I was not disappointed.

15-year-old D.J. is forced to ta
Emily May
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I finally found a spare two minutes to sit down and start reading this book, I suddenly ended up drawn in for a couple of hours discovering that Dairy Queen is just as ridiculously funny, silly, and heartwarming as everyone had told me it was. And strangely inspirational too - I love anyone who dares to break the mold, especially young females who challenge gender stereotypes and go their own way.

I will admit that I am not the biggest fan of chick lit novels, so I should warn you that thi
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

That's one advantage to not talking. After a while people stop talking back.

I swear, I swear to you....I am not a snob. Really!! Swear!! But come on...look at this cover. It's a cow. In a tiara. With a blue sky in the background and named after a restaurant I love. What's a girl to think when she sees this? Oh well, guess it's a moot point...

photo moopoint_zpse2boevpu.gif

Because this book was fabulous. (okay, I was guna use that GIF anyway because duh, friends, but it just worked out so well ;) )

Basically what it came
Megan
Dairy Queen has got to be the best book hidden behind the worst cover/title ever. This isn’t a book I would have given a second glance at if it weren’t for so many Goodreads friends raving over it. Even looking past the cover, the synopsis here doesn’t sound great. One special summer in which our young protagonist, D.J. Schwenk spends time with a guy who is “out of her league”, figures out some family issues and goes out for the boys football team? This has the potential to be quirky in an oh-so ...more
Vinaya
Back in the good old days when Net Galley was a bountiful god instead of the clutch-fisted miser it is becoming, I used to go wild requesting every galley I could find. One of the books I requested was a novel about a girl who plays baseball on a boy's team. I never did read more than fifty pages of that one - it was pretty dry, but it did make me a little apprehensive about reading sports-related stories. Which is weird because I LOVE sports-related movies. I couldn't tell you the rules of Amer ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maja (The Nocturnal Library) by: Limonessa
I never thought I’d have fun reading about a belching contest of all things, but that’s exactly what happened. Murdock’s Dairy Queen is just the kind of YA I can truly enjoy: loads of fun on the surface, yet if you remember to look a little deeper, for the most part it’s not funny at all.

I noticed a long time ago that authors often have problems with creating characters that are quite average. On one side, most of them don’t even want to because they’re convinced that nobody likes to read about
Flannery
DJ Schwenk is a teenage girl growing up on a dairy farm in rural Wisconsin. Her family suffers from a lack of communication and the departure of her two older brothers, along with her father's hip surgery, have put even more strain on DJ. Her workload at school is overwhelming when she adds in all the work she has to do to keep the family farm running. Dairy Queen chronicles a few weeks of her summer vacation...if you can call it a vacation.

If you have to listen to professors talk about stuff l
Maggie Stiefvater
I debated for a long time whether I wanted to put this one in my five star section, because I didn't think the ending was as strong as I thought it could have been. But ultimately, the insanely true voice (by turns very funny and very touching) and nice working of common themes through the book (saying this is a realistic YA novel about cows and football is at once the truest and least true thing you could every say) makes me give this five stars.

Definitely just -- great voice.

***wondering why
Contemporary YA: Dairy Queen 4 11 Jun 01, 2016 08:05AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #86 Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock 1 5 Jun 25, 2015 08:08PM
Yay or Nay? 28 121 Jun 14, 2015 07:28PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #23 Dairy Queen 1 3 Mar 30, 2015 09:27AM
Secret Bookworms: Realistic Fiction 2 13 Jun 19, 2013 03:00AM
  • How to Build a House
  • Fat Cat
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • Good Enough
  • The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely Lost It
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood
  • Trouble
  • Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie
  • Enthusiasm
  • Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, #1)
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • A Little Wanting Song
  • Suite Scarlett (Scarlett, #1)
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • Playing With the Boys (Pretty Tough, #2)
  • Swim the Fly (Swim the Fly, #1)
  • Knights of the Hill Country
  • Amazing Grace
361963
I grew up in small-town Connecticut, on a tiny farm with honeybees, two adventurous goats, and a mess of Christmas trees. My sister claims we didn’t have a television, but we did, sometimes – only it was ancient, received exactly two channels, and had to be turned off after 45 minutes to cool down or else the screen would go all fuzzy. Watching (or rather, “watching”) Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds ...more
More about Catherine Gilbert Murdock...

Dairy Queen (4 books)
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Heaven Is Paved with Oreos (Dairy Queen, #4)
“When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.” 1747 likes
“But it turns out that even if I don’t talk a lot, when it’s something that matters I still have a lot to say.” 39 likes