Start by marking “To Live Again” as Want to Read:
To Live Again

To Live Again

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The dramatic story of how Catherine Marshall won her battle against grief and loneliness provides inspiring answers, not only for those who have known trouble and disappointment, but for everyone who seeks to live with widsom and courage.
Published February 1st 1996 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about To Live Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Live Again

Annette
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while on holidays in Cairns ages ago. It rocked my world!
Catherine Marshall is long gone, but I have always felt a real affiliation with her, her writing is so familiar, you feel like you are sitting down with her as she pours her heart out.

I am a fellow heart-pourer-outer, so Catherine Marshall, I love you.

So helpful for anyone who has suffered and struggles with the fallout, or even for those who just long for a deep and real encounter with God.

I have read so many other books by
Natalie
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read nonfiction books as heartfelt and inspiring as this one, I tell myself I need to read more nonfiction. :P (Seriously, this book is SO good. Please read it.)
Summisse
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I shared a portion of this treasure with a victim of 911 who had lost a husband in the towers. Her husband died a hero saving others. To Live Again is timeless, the wisdom in this books heals, and create a path for healthy grief.
Deborah
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I love Catherine Marshall's writing---I read this shortly after my dear Grandmother had died, and it was as though I was comforted and felt Grandma close by in Marshall's writing---I began to consume her books!
Susan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book beautiful, and heartwarming and a joy to read.

Catherine describes unexplainable experiences stunningly, in such a way that you really understand and see what she experienced. Her life is amazing and I think that her life after her husband died was better than when he was alive (dare I say it).

This story raises questions for me about the role of women. Throughout this story Catherine aims to honour her husband's memory and her husband in everything she does and has done, she is
Dan Chance
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
When Peter died he was a young man and though he had experienced an earlier brush with death, neither he nor his wife were prepared for his death. Catherine was numb for a while but her faith began to pull her through the bereavement. First she was drawn to publish his sermons, which she did as Mr Jones, Meet the Masterand then the story of his life as A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall. She was a talented writer but as she discovered her efforts were inadequate to bring the sermons ...more
Crystal
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those struggling with separation and loss, Christians, people seeking meaning in life
Shelves: christian
This book is old and a little dated/ conservative. but if you're willing to look past that, it's a really good book. Catherine Marshall lets people into her life and walks them along the road she walked to "live again" after her husband died at a tragically young age. Her faithfulness to his memory, and spreading the work that he did, has enriched the lives of many people, and watching her bloom into the talented author she later became was helpful and encouraging. The book is a testament to the ...more
Gary B
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Overall an enjoyable and entertaining read. Catherine takes us through the days and years following Peter's death and how God led her to and through her writing.

I found the chapter on life after death to be somewhat weird. Catherine discusses all sorts of situations and proofs for life after death. Whilst many of these need to be taken on faith, the overall proof for a Christian must be Jesus' resurrection and what the Bible says about it.
Curtiss Matlock
I remembered reading it years ago, when devouring Marshall's books, one right after another. I knew I needed it now, having lost my own husband. I am surprised by how personally it speaks to me. I had forgotten that it chronicles Catherine's writing journey. It speaks to me mostly about her determination to follow and trust God with her life.

Catherine Marshall's writing is honest and open and carries the reader along in her life. I love it.
Karin Grice
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1957, it's amazing how well this book has kept its relevance. A heart-felt but not schmaltzy or churchy account of suddenly losing a husband and what to make of the new life that follows. Anyone who has experienced the death of their beloved spouse will find this helpful support and reassurance that this existence is not all there is and that life can go on in surprising ways.
Danielle
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Catherine Marshall book; took me awhile to read this one. I started it long ago. As I was a bit emotional after Peter was born, it made me a bit teary eyed in some places when she was describing learning to "live again" after her Peter passed away.
Misti
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would love to chat out chapter 11 Is There Life After Death with a good friend and confidant. This book was about the loss of Catherine Marshall's husband, Peter, to earthly death and her healing and growing time in the Lord in its wake.
Martha
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-story
Wonderful story of a widow's journey to wholeness
Gillian Marsberg
I loved this book - I found it encouraged and drew me into a closer walk with God
Greg
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most definitely read again book. One has to read A Man Called Peter, as this book is referred to.
Gina
Feb 04, 2012
Christine
Jan 30, 2013
Karl Olson
rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mr Jones, Meet the Master
  • First We Have Coffee
  • Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart
  • Camilla, a Biography of Camilla Eyring Kimball
  • The Savage My Kinsman
  • Life Sentence
  • The Singer
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Surprise Packages (The Company of Good Women, #3)
  • Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement
Marshall was born in Johnson City, Tennessee.[1][2] She was the daughter of the Reverend John Ambrose Wood and Leonora Whitaker Wood.[1] From the age of nine until her graduation from high school, Marshall was raised in Keyser, West Virginia,[1] where her father served as pastor of a Presbyterian church from 1924 to 1942.[1]

While a junior at Agnes Scott College, she met Peter Marshall, marrying hi
More about Catherine Marshall...