Start by marking “Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days” as Want to Read:
Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days

Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  15,689 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews

Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days is a collection of interviews with founders of famous technology companies about what happened in the very earliest days. These people are celebrities now. What was it like when they were just a couple friends with an idea? Founders like Steve Wozniak (Apple), Caterina Fake (Flickr), Mitch Kapor (Lotus), Max Levchin (PayPal

Published January 25th 2007 by Apress (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Founders at Work, please sign up.

Monica If you are still looking, Elon Musk: Inventing the Future
by Ashlee Vance is the book you're looking for!

Otis Chandler
Feb 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Loved every second of this book. Each chapter is a different story of a startup founder. I read it slowly so it wouldn't end, and read many chapters twice. My biggest take was that most founders didn't necessarily know what they were doing - or even that they were on to something big. But they were all determined to start a company - that was the only thing they all had in common.

Here are some good quotes from the book:

"I'd say determination is the single most important quality in a startup foun
Mohamed Diab Embbya
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No structure, no themes, but 30 odd interviews with tech business founders, and yet it worked and made for a great read.

The business media usually distills fundamental concepts such as team building, creating a good product and perseverance to the point where you either get a generic phrase or a string of dull paragraphs where a single generic phrase would do; the effect is that reading about business becomes a boring activity, but Founders at Work was different.

It's not a how-to book but narrat
Paul Rivera
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
everyone has a bad day/week/month.
TarasProkopyuk
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Книга хороша тем, что она богата на истории многих значительных стартапов начиная от самого зарождения интернет бизнеса в США и особенно тем, что истории исходя из первых уст, от их основателей в форме интервью.

Больше всего мне было интересно узнать о многих вызовах, которые падали на плечи руководства и основателей компаний, их поворотные пути в истории развития, а также что именно двигало ими, что же заставляло упорствовать, чего они в итоге достигли и какой ценой.
Annie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Great read. An insightful look into the experiences of successful founders. One thing I learned is that even the best venture capitalists turn down unicorns.
مؤسسة هنداوي للتعليم والثقافة
تحميل مقتطفات من هذا الكتاب مجانًا
Herve
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great book, so great I decide to write this post even if I have not finished reading it: Jessica Livingston in Founders at Work has interviewed 32 entrepreneurs about their story. The lessons are convincing, fascinating. Without asking for copyright, I copy here some quotes. The book is just a pleasure to read even if sometimes the Q&A are too specific about the start-up, but I assume it is part of the exercise. A Must-Read.

Paul Buchheit, creator of Gmail about Risk Taking

CHAPTER 4 Joe Kraus Cofounder, Excite

CHAPTER 5 Dan Bricklin Cofounder, Software Arts

CHAPTER 6 Mitchell Kapor Cofounder, Lotus Development

CHAPTER 7 Ray Ozzie Founder, Iris Associates, Groove Networks

CHAPTER 8 Evan Williams Confounder, Pyra Labs (Blogger.com)

CHAPTER 9 Tim Brady First Non-Founding Employee, Yahoo

CHAPTER 10 Mike Lazaridis Cofou
Mark
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
fascinating first-hand accounts from founders of now-ubiquitous companies: hotmail, gmail, paypal, yahoo stores, hotornot, apple, etc etc. strangely, the technical aspect is rarely the most difficult part of the company - most of the founders say marketing the product was crazy hard.

interesting factoids you'll pick up from reading the book:
* hotornot was implemented in an afternoon to rate some random girl one of the founders had seen recently. the site spread virally and they had over 50,000 pa
Arjun Balaji
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish there was a 4.5 on Goodreads. This book came into my hands highly recommended by several people and when I received it as a gift, I devoured it. Most of the advice in this book is timeless, and any fan of Paul Graham's essays will really enjoy this.

However, to me (an 18y old, reading in 2013), a lot of the interviews in the book, while interesting, were a bit dated. Because of how much the VC landscape (how money is raised, how interactions are had with VCs, etc), the cost of technology
Saurabh
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This one is a brilliant, brilliant book.
I'm so glad I picked it up and it's worth every paisa of the 450 bucks I paid for it.

If you think you are the entrepreneur kinds, this book is a must read.

If you haven't started your company as yet, it might just push you to do it - and for those who have started it and are getting completely sloshed by the experience, it shines a nice bright light on you - letting you know that eventually everything will work out -- and even the biggest companies today we
Andrus
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating stories about early days of pre-2008 technology companies like Apple, Blogger, TripAdvisor, etc. Some of them were absolute gems worth a 6-star review, others that got into fine details about uninteresting stuff by today's standards (technical aspects of hardware in early '80s) needed faster page flipping. But all in all a must-read for early stage startup founders.
Jef
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
One of the few books I've yet to finish, while it's great to see the journeys of the entrepreneurs in these stories there is mostly technical and very intricate details and the stories tend to drag on..

probably very helpful for the technical co-founder
Yaseen Hamdulay
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit outdated but really inspiring. It's interesting to note the patterns between the different founders stories. The most unexpected being that many were unaware of the importance or enormity of the project they were in the process of undertaking.
Slavo Ingilizov
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great value. I've always preferred interviews with real people rather than a subjective opinion. This book not only tries to hit a specific topic, but also intentionally tries to just provide comparison data about some of the most successful entrepreneurs.
Sergey Leschenko
Most stories are interesting as a history of Internet and software industry.
I really like chapter 24, interview with Philip Greenspun (ArsDigita), but the rest is hardly inspiring for me.
Tadas Talaikis
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Why this one is great? I can hear the minds of interviewees as they are, without useless "I know why" abstractions.
Andrew
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best part of this book for me is seeing how much businesses change as they go from idea to reality.
Muhammad Hakim Asy'ari
Jul 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
persistence&perseverance, things never work out right the first time.
José Vasco
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Third time reading it and first time I could actually finish it. It's extensive in the variety and background of interviewee founders yet constant in its quality. I love it. Great insights from many different people of many different backgrounds. To re-read.
Robin
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it in the plane to my start-up.
Thought it was a great book with a lot of interesting insights and even though it was mostly about tech/internet and from 2006 it was still pretty valuable and just interesting to read/learn.
Wish there was a follow-up book.
Marjolijn Kamphuis
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite books.
Yevgeniy Brikman
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful inside look at how a number of different startups were created. The book reinforced a few interesting trends for me:

1. Very few founders knew what they were doing when they first started; many of the ideas emerged accidentally, after many failures or experiments.

2. You *can* get more done with crazy hours and virtually all successful startups require them.

3. VC funding seemed to be an ingredient in the success if most startups, but was often a double edged sword, causing problems l
Lorenzo
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Book. Sometimes I'm really surprised at the point certain interviews end. I will turn the page, and find that I'm on to the next interview quite unexpectedly and go back to see if i skipped a page. Very Shoe Dog style writing, with you learning as much about the founders as their companies with some very valuable nuggets in each interview. She always makes a point of asking "What advice would you give to entrepreneurs?" When you ask such an open ended questions to some of societies most in ...more
Gretchen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peter
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting book. Initial impression was that the author had been quite lazy by choosing to leave the book in the format of:

Q: ...

A: ...

After reading ten or fifteen chapters, I realized how right she was. Reading this book is like taking all of these interesting people to coffee. It is helpful to read their stories and thoughts in their own words. There are clear threads that run between the founders and their sense of what made them successful(or failures). For example: write a business pl
Tom
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Founders at Work is a collection of 32 interviews done by Jessica Livingston of founders of tech companies. Many of the big names are present: Apple, Adobe, Yahoo, etc. A bunch of people have reviewed this book already, including those who are interviewed for the book, so I thought I would give my personal favorite parts of the book without trying to be comprehensive. The official site could certainly fill you in on the breadth of the book.

To me the most interesting interviews were:
- Steve Wozni
Scott
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting collection of interviews with the founders (or early employees) of 32 different technology startups, from Craigslist, Firefox and Flickr to Yahoo! and Apple.

Because it's a collection of interviews, the usefulness of the stories or the ease of reading vary depending on who is being interviewed (and to a smaller extent, the author's questions). Some founders are better at reflecting upon and summarizing their experiences to be generalizable to readers and aspiring entr
John Abassian
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Founders at Work: Stories of Startups’ Early Days” is a very insightful book, full of informative material and entertainment at the same time. The book, while basically is just a large set of interviews, offers readers a very powerful and insightful look into the entrepreneurial process.

The book is a series of interviews with founders of large and successful technology companies, such as Apple, Yahoo, Paypal, and Hotmail, to name a few. The interviews are done in a very effective manner, short
Rodrigo Rivera
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Livingston hat ein sehr gutes Kompendium geschrieben. In jedem Interview erzählt der Gründer von einem erfolgreichen (IPO oder erworben von einem großen Konzern) amerikanischen oder kanadischen Startup über die ersten Tagen der Firma: Vor/während und nach der Gründung.

Alles ist in einem sehr lässigen Stil geschrieben und das Englischniveau ist nicht anspruchsvoll. Der Inhalt ist aber sehr lehrreich. Generell betonen alle Gründer, dass ihre Idee ursprünglich sehr anders war und nur durch
  • Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
  • Eric Sink on the Business of Software
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A "Cheat Sheet" to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competit ion
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
  • Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software
  • The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • The Founder′s Dilemmas - Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup (The Kauffman Foundation Series on Innovation and Entrepreneurship)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Over the years, I've learned that the first idea you have is irrelevant. It's just a catalyst for you to get started. Then you figure out what's wrong with it and you go through phases of denial, panic, regret. And then you finally have a better idea and the second idea is always the important one.” 3 likes
“the less energy people expend on performance, the more they expend on appearances to compensate.” 2 likes