Start by marking “Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers #4)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  11,359 Ratings  ·  598 Reviews
The year is 1902 - it's been twenty-three years since Peter and the Lost Boys returned from Rundoon. Since then, nobody on the island has grown a day older, and the Lost Boys continue their friendship with the Mollusk tribe, and their rivalry with Captain Hook. Meanwhile in London, Molly has married George Darling and is raising three children: Wendy, Michael, and John. On ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Disney Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Sword of Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Sword of Mercy

Cassandra
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I liked it!!!
***Borrowed the audiobook CD’s from the library

The cover is definitely Peter Pan-ish and makes you think of magical adventures.

This is the 4th book in the series, and while I loved listening to it with my son, it was not my favorite. I think I really liked Molly and Peter together, so it was weird having it be her daughter…at least for me.

It is another fantastical adventure for Peter and he makes some new friends and reunites with some old friend
bookme4life
This book was a surprise -- I thought book 3 (Rundoon) was the last in the series. However, having this book certainly makes sense as it makes the final connection between the Starcatchers series and the original Peter Pan.

Happily, this book is also better than the previous book. Book 3 was definitely the weakest link. This book is as good as the first one -- my favorite -- and in some ways is a stronger story, though there's less character development and less dealing with Peter's loneliness th
Sella Malin
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book was terrible. At the beginning, it was okay, but it started getting really really REALLY boring in the middle, and by the end I was just skimming through it and I just wanted it to end. I was reading it for more than a month, because I dreaded picking it up and so I wouldn't touch it for weeks and I hated reading it. And when I did read it, if I wasn't skimming, I'd read it really slowly because there was so much freaking long description and it was so boring.

Bleh bleh bleh. I don
Nicole Catherine
Courtney
My real rating may be more of a 2.5? I can't seem to rate a book about Peter Pan any less than a 3, though.

I must admit, I am a bit disappointed with the ending. It ends well and all, but my favorite part about these books has been that they are the prequels to J.M. Barry's Peter Pan and explain many of the details of Mr. Barry beloved classic. One huge flaw in this story is that Peter meets Wendy and shares the adventure with her...So it doesn't make much sense that Wendy and Peter are supposed
Wendy
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the final book to the Peter and the Starcatchers series. It occurs over 20 years after the previous book. Molly is now married to George Darling and has three children (Wendy, John, and Michael). George has forbidden her to talk about her past life as a Starcatcher and when she is approached by one of the Lost Boys who returned to London with them in the last book she is hesitant to believe the story he is telling her. he has been assigned by Scotland Yard to the palace and saw (and fel ...more
Kathy Davie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Fourth in the Peter and the Starcatchers fantasy adventures series for children loosely based on J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan .

My Take
This was great fun to read as we dipped further into the original Peter Pan's characters with Wendy, John, and Michael Darling although it's really only Wendy who plays an active part.

Some proofreader messed up. Fighting Prawn is suggesting that since the castaways have done such a good job helping the Lost Boys fix up their hut that they would be ideal to help fi
Amrita
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If loving this series is being a kid, then I am a kid.
But this book was disappointing compared to the first three.
Amy
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children
This was another good story of Peter with the introduction of Wendy, John and Michael. I was disappointed in adult George Darling, but liked meeting the adult lost boys. However, I am really getting tired of Lord Ombra not staying dead.
Michelle Isenhoff
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This final book in the Starcatchers series was an afterthought by the authors, written at the request of readers who weren’t satisfied with a trilogy. It’s crafted with the same humor and style, but it takes place twenty years after the others and, incidentally, one year before Mr. Barrie published his classic Peter Pan play on which the Starcatchers is based.

Molly is all grown up, the original Lost Boys are aging, and “when the starstuff falls stopped, the group you knew as the Starcatchers gra
Katie
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the main problem that I have with #4 is this: Peter's back story is fully revealed now. This is hardly a prequel. 'Sword of Mercy' lacks those 'OH!' moments, in which you are delightedly piecing together Peter Pan's life as it relates to J.M. Barrie's play.
Instead we're left slogging through a 'meh' plot involving boring locations and recycled villains. I mean, really? How the heck did Ombra survive AGAIN? And where did the Skeleton come from? Where do his horrible powers come from?

The
J.Elle
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm, I see by the title above that this book was NUMBER 4 IN A SERIES. I HATE it when a book does not clearly state somewhere on the cover or jacket that it's part of a series. But, I was able to read this without any confusion and without suspecting it was even part of a series, so the fact that it stands alone is good. I saw in the "thanks" portion in the book before starting it, that the author had thanked "Disney" and that confused me until I started reading and realized it's a take on Pet ...more
Joanna Hoong
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sara
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the first three books in this series and was was SO excited when I heard this was coming out. Once I was a few pages into it however, I was unsure of whether I'd really connect with this book due to Molly being "grown up" and married. I felt sad at times because Peter remembered the girl Molly that he loved and here she was with kids of her own. I have to say that they did an AMAZING job of capturing me just as easily as they did with the first three books. Once Peter had is few moments ...more
Russell
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to learn that there was a fourth book in this series. I loved the first two books and liked the third, but was not sure where the story would pick up for a fourth book. Well, twenty years passed and now Wendy, Michael and John were brought into the story. Again, I love how Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson have created there unique plots which integrate elements of the traditional Peter Pan story. This fourth book was just as good as the first two.
Brigham Inkley
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew me away. In this book you finally get to see who Molly really is. You also get to meet Wendy, Michel, and Jon who are actually Molly's children. You also get a whole new band of characters that you fall in love with instantly plus the severely underused characters emerge in this book. So, yeah.
Rebecca McKinnon
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This was really fun. The first three books deal with Peter and Molly, Wendy's mother. In this book, Wendy makes her first appearance and Peter comes back to London for the first time in twenty years. It's a quick read, and a great adventure!
Kym
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of the series.
However, still a big fan. I enjoyed the revisit to old favorite characters and meeting new ones. The backstory is told in a smart and sweet way that has me hooked on a series that typically would not be my cup of tea.
Katrina
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copies
This makes me sad. The first three books were great. This one wasn't. I want to keep loving this series, and in order to do that, I can't force myself to read the next book. This series should have stuck with the three books it was intended to have
Miranda
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
only one word can be used to discribe this book. well two really... well no, three words.
IT'S ALMOST AS GOOD AS AVATAR!!!
make that six words
Amber
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!! My kids and I have really enjoyed listening to the audiobooks. I can't wait to listen to Peter Pan together. Highly recommend!
Conny
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On my son's summer reading list but we all loved it. If you like young adult/youth books try this series/
Will McMackin
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book leads to the Disney peter pan
Melissa
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest pieces about this series is the anticipation of how it will get to the point where we remember the storyline from Disney's Peter Pan. So much action adventure and suspense, this is a great series for middle grade boys who are reluctant readers!

"The year is 1902 - it's been twenty-three years since Peter and the Lost Boys returned from Rundoon. Since then, nobody on the island has grown a day older, and the Lost Boys continue their friendship with the Mollusk tribe, and their
Justin Domnitz
Peter Pan’s prequel adventures continue twenty years later in the fourth book in the Starcatchers series. This book is just as good as the first three, but I got a little lost in the climactic battle. This was probably due more to reading four of these in a row than to any fault of the authors or the story. There’s a fifth book on the series, but I’ll probably wait a bit and come back to it fresh. I still recommend this series to young and old alike. It’s really entertaining and super fun n to r ...more
Mikey Golczynski
Decent, but completely unnecessary. 2.5 stars. There were things that didn't get explored that I really wish had been. In Rundoon, the connection between Peter and Ombra was discussed as Peter had managed to separate completely from his shadow to avoid Ombra's touch. Peter later thinks about how he feels as if he's a different person somehow. Well, forget ANY mention of that. The whole thing just feels tacked on.
Pryotra
This is probably the book where inconsistencies are the most clear between this and the original Peter Pan. Also, it's a little depressing to see the characters I've grow to like either dead, killed during the book or just old.

Though the fighting bear was awesome. The bear and his handler need their own series.
Camille Hoffmann
Definitely a fun series :). It was fun to have the tie-in with Wendy, though it doesn't really make sense with the original story ;). I wish the Skeleton had been explained a little more- he's a creepy dude and I want more of the backstory behind him- where on earth did he come from?! I know some people wish the authors had stopped with the original trilogy, but I really enjoyed this 4th one :).
Aidan
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
  • Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4)
  • The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, #7)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
  • Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (Leven Thumps, #5)
  • Arcade Catastrophe (The Candy Shop War, #2)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Tigerheart
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand (Disney Fairies #2)
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Time Quake (The Gideon Trilogy, #3)
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

Peter and the Starcatchers (5 books)
  • Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1)
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers, #5)
“Someone was tapping on the window.” 12 likes