Start by marking “And God Came in: An Extraordinary Love Story” as Want to Read:
And God Came in: An Extraordinary Love Story

And God Came in: An Extraordinary Love Story

Chronicles the spiritual odyssey of Joy Davidman, the brash, difficult and challenging woman whose marriage to C. S. Lewis in 1956 astounded the world. Based on research and extensive interviews of family and friends.
Paperback
Published August 1st 1991 by Crossway Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about And God Came in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And God Came in

Carlene Byron
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, faith
A rare and exciting story about someone who discovered that God made more sense than dialectical materialism (Communism). The intellectual journey of Joy Davidman, the woman CS Lewis married, should be encouraging to any Christian who thinks they've met a person with impenetrable spiritual walls.
Edward Waters
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first full-length biography ever published of Joy Davidman, who, though a noteworthy poet and author in her own right, would be most remembered as the wife of British scholar and author C.S. Lewis. The story of their marriage and of her tragic, premature death from cancer was already familiar to me from a number of sources, mostly focused on Lewis; yet I knew only generalities concerning Davidman's earlier life in America. AND GOD CAME IN does much to correct this and is built on ex ...more
Tiffany
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This was one of the most satisfying biographies that I have ever devoured. I laughed and I cheered for Joy - and I wanted to cry for her at times. The margins of my book are filled with penciled notes, because I simply couldn't help myself. Mr. Dorsett is a gifted writer. By the time I finished the book, it felt as if I'd actually met those whose lives have already been lived.

Since reading this book, I have an even greater respect for C.S Lewis and also a new-found one for his wife, Joy, whom I'
Terri
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick read on Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis. It is a straightforward telling of how exactly Joy ended up in England meeting Lewis. And it is an honest look at her marriage to Bill Gresham and what transpired to lead to divorce.

I was struck by the lack of friends Joy found in Lewis's friends; she was met with suspicion that never went away. Her funeral was notable because of all Lewis's friends who refused to attend.

Lyle W. Dorsett manages to convey the utter sadness Lewis felt at J
Mary Montgomery
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't know anything about Joy Davidman except that she married C. S. Lewis. As with most people, there was a lot more to it than that. This book was fascinating and so was she. It was very interesting to learn more about her and her life.
Pam
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Enough detail to be worthwhile, but brief enough to sustain interest. Fascinating and thought-provoking!
Lisa Matheny
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
outstanding. loved the subject, loved the story, loved the writing.
Edward Waters
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first full-length biography ever published of Joy Davidman, who, though a noteworthy writer herself, would be most remembered as the wife of British scholar and author C.S. Lewis. The story of their marriage and of her tragic, premature death of cancer was already familiar to me from a number of sources, mostly focused on Lewis; yet I knew only generalities concerning Davidman's earlier life in America. Dorsett himself is not a flawless writer, but his work here is built on extensiv ...more
Auntie
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm only adding this because there is no despcription available on the site. I liked the book. I just didn't love it.

In late 1956 an item in the Times of London stunned England's literary set. Confirmed bachelor and celebrated Christian apologist C.S. Lewis announced his marriage to Joy Gresham. His choice could not have been more unlikely. Joy was American, a divorcee, an ex communist, and a former athiest. Yet this extraordinary and fascinating woman made a great impact on Lewis and his writin
Patricia
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of the movie "Shadowlands," I appreciated knowing the background of Joy Davidman Gresham, the wife of C.S. Lewis. Dorsett (the author) did extensive research and first person interviews with Joy's friends and family members to craft a comprehensive account of her life. This 150-page work first relates her childhood, youth experiences, and writing career as well as her concurrent journey from non-practicing Jew, to apostate, and then to passionate believer in Christ. Finally, it is a sto ...more
Ryan Linkous
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another splendid biography from Lyle Dorsett. He masterfully tells a true narrative about the life of Joy Davidman while working from primary sources that no one else has used in publication (except there was a recent biography just published about Joy Davidman). This was the first biographic work on Joy Davidman.

Dorsett does not mask over Davidman's flaws, yet has an overall positive assessment of her. He also tells Christian biography well: he's not afraid to speak of the workings of G
Clara Roberts
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating biography of one of the great minds of the previous gneration. I read her book Smoke on the Mountain many years ago. This commentary on the Ten Commandment was an excellent read. This book shows her progression from a bohemian, to a communist, to a commiteed Christian. Joy Davidman's I.Q. was off the charts. She was brillant but rather impatient with those of lesser intellectual ability.
Kat Coffin
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Completely fascinating. I've read "Lenten Lands" and most Lewis biographies have a good deal to say about Ms. Gresham. I've seen her as a mother, a wife, a lover--but never as her own person. I found that I related quite a bit to her, especially her strong desire to prove herself to her overly critical father and her tenaciousness. I definitely would like to read some of Ms. Davidman's works and learn more about her.
Mickie
Nov 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting chronicles of the live of Joy Davidman. It gave me insight of the time period of when she lived. I am planning to look up some of the books mentioned that she and C.S. Lewis wrote. I would recommend it. It was a different read than some of the other books I have read, but that is what I love about book club.
SallyStenger
This book is a biography of Joy Davidman, C.S. Lewis' wife. It will be mainly of interest to C.S. Lewis fans who want to know everything they can find about him. It is a fairly short, readable biography that presents a complete account of Joy from birth through death. C.S. Lewis fans will be especially interested in its account of how she met him.
Rebecca Foutz
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
It took me forever to actually finish reading this book, yet it is an interesting glimpse of C.S. Lewis's life from a completely different perspective. The book is about Joy Davidman Gresham, who was C.S. Lewis's wife for a few brief years. But even though it is about her, it also includes C.S. Lewis and the influence they had in each other's life. Good book.
Kathy
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading about the life of Joy Davidman, wife of C S Lewis, was inspiring and refreshing! I love her spunk, genius and transformation from material atheist to Communist to Christian. God came into a life once again in a marvelous way. Every time I hear about His faithfulness to change hearts, it brings joy to my soul!
Amy J. Whetten
This is subtitled: An Extraordinary Love Story
Joy Davidman
Her Life & Marriage to C.S. Lewis
This is a biography recommended by her son, Douglas Gresham. I am fascinated by this woman of courage and intellect who finally achieved faith, who won the devotion of one of my heroes, C.S. Lewis.
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. The writing wasn't amazing, but I love the story of Joy Davidman's life. Dorsett does a great job presenting her as a person instead of a saint, and the story of her relationship with C.S. Lewis is romantic and lovely.
Stacy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating glimpse of a life I tend only to think of as it relates to that of C. S. Lewis. Dorsett's biography of Joy Davidman Lewis transforms her from being a prop in Lewis' story to a person in her own right.
Dianne
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Developmental Psychologists would love this book. Nature vs. Nurture indeed. Fascinating and repelling personal history of the unlikely future Mrs. C. S. Lewis. Her childhood as an Atheist Jew, Socialist, active Communist and where her complicated life took her, good and bad.
Justin Wiggins
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book!
Deane
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author pulled no punches when describing the relationship between Joy Davidman Gresham and C.S. Lewis. A very interesting read....now have C. S. Lewis' book "A Grief Observed" to read next.
Barb Terpstra
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I would actually give this a 3.5 - very interesting story about the woman CS Lewis married, and her own journey from communism to Christianity. She was uber smart!
Connie Whisler
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read, especially if you are a C. S. Lewis fan. A truthful, factual look at the woman who captured Lewis' heart. Once I started reassign it I couldn't put it down.
Michael
Interesting to hear Joy Davidman's testimony and learn more about her relationship with C.S. Lewis
Kris
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Story of C.S. Lewis' marriage to Joy Gresham. Fascinating account of their history together and unlikely but beautiful marriage.
Rosie Hopkins
Oct 12, 2011
Kaity
Jun 07, 2015
Jodie
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lyle W. Dorsett received his B.A. in history (1960) and M.A. in history (1962) from the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and his Ph.D. in history from the University of Missouri-Columbia (1965). He began his teaching career at the University of Missouri, moving briefly to the Univ. of Southern California and University of Colorado at Denver, before he joined the history department at the Univer ...more