Start by marking “Born in Tibet” as Want to Read:
Born in Tibet

Born in Tibet

Chögyam Trungpa—meditation master, scholar, and artist—was identified at the age of only thirteen months as a major tulku, or reincarnation of an enlightened teacher. As the eleventh in the teaching lineage known as the Trungpa tulkus, he underwent a period of intensive training in mediation, philosophy, and fine arts, receiving full ordination as a monk in 1958 at the age ...more
Published October 10th 2000 by Shambhala (first published August 30th 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Born in Tibet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born in Tibet

Emelia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RTC
Shaun
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Pick Your Spokespersons Carefully

The Tibetan issue is clouded by lies, propaganda and poor spokesmen. I became disillusioned with the Tibetan plight years ago as I slowly began to learn that the violence and injustice that characterized Chinese and Tibetan relations for decades was no more, yet the government in exile kept shouting that it was and the CCP denied that it ever was. I became disillusioned when the Dalai Lama changed his stance, going from claiming that a real genocide was taking pl
Harry Rutherford
Born in Tibet is the story of Chögyam Trungpa’s early life in Tibet. He was a year old when some monks turned up and announced he was the eleventh Trungpa Tulku and hence the supreme abbot of the Surmang monasteries in eastern Tibet; at twenty he managed to escape the Chinese occupation and make his way to India.

So the book really has three main subjects: his traditional religious education, the increasing impact of the Chinese on Tibetan life, and the adventure/survival story of escaping cross-
Kim
Nov 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was sorely disappointed in this book – it shifted my perception of Buddhism in a way I wish it hadn’t.

The journey the man did to escape from the Chines invasion of Tibet could have been interesting. It’s a bloody long way to India via all those mountains, and that a group of people managed it is amazing. But the drone of the story-telling made me not really care after a while. I kept hoping they would run out of leather to boil or eat their actual last bit of food and expire. I lost count of h
Alex
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story. I study Shambhala Buddhism which is the lineage started by Chogyam Trungpa. This book is his biography from birth until about age 20 when he escaped with other monks from Tibet to India. It is a harrowing and heartbreaking story. It was very interesting to read about life in Tibet pre-China. They sound like a very simple, spiritual people. The escape sounded intense. Glad to have read this story.
Steven
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Amazing story! It's fascinating to read of this kind of escape in the first person. The epilogue in this 1971 edition seems a little sad, which makes sense given the psychological trauma of having to leave your home and start over in a different world.
Also, reading about his post-Tibet life, it seems the trauma of escape had some long-lasting ramifications.
Annasaurus Rex
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It gave me a context for how Buddhism was first brought to the United snakes that I didn't understand, and am only beginning to understand. Great read. It didn't get a 5 because I only give 5s to a book that I would read twice.
Chia Wei Sheng
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transports you back in time

Excellent biography of sorts, the details gives one sufficient mental space to imagine oneself in their journey and struggles during their escape from tibet.
Thomas Thornborough
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a somewhat long and quite difficult read but also a very interesting look at pre-Chinese occupation of Tibet from the inside out. It is also written from the perspective of a privileged class and because of that there are certain difficulties faced as a reader. It is hard a lot of the time to be sympathetic to the narrator and there are certain events which are hard to swallow. A silly example that got to me: about four times he quotes accounts where the Chinese force the servants and ma ...more
Mara
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a very unique autobiography focused on the author's life from birth in Tibet through his escape across the Himalayan mountains and into India during China's invasion of Tibet. In addition to being eye-opening in regards to that region of the world during that period in history, it was similarly eye-opening regarding Tibetan buddhism and a way of life non-existent anywhere else in the world.

The destruction that communism wraught on a peaceful country was disheartening while the Tibetan
Deb W
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an astounding work that informs the reader of the the Tibetan peoples before the Chinese occupation and of the upbringing of a Tibetan tulka (incarnation of a previous-lived Tibetan holy man). From his birth to his coronation to his flee from Chinese Communists capture and possible death, I read in rapt wonder that all this happened in so short a time.

After reading this book, I am compelled to read more by the author and recommend it to those interested in a greater understanding of Bu
George Ilsley
A fascinating glimpse into monastic life in Tibet before the communist Chinese takeover. Trungpa's evocative style is not meant to be always taken literally. In other words, there are hidden teachings here. As well, we can only see the life from the point of view of privilege; other more ordinary lives are almost invisible in this text. Nonetheless, a classic text from a modern master (and trickster).
Janne Asmala
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This unique book gave me an insider view of the achievements of Tibetan culture and of its downfall amidst the Chinese occupation. It is also a fascinating glimpse inside the head of one of the great spiritual masters of our times.
Jade Kranz
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A vivid depiction of monastic life in Tibet, and of the hardship brought by the Communist invasion.
Mariana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
He practices non-violence during Chinese persecution at a young age.
Scott Rennie
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting read, I did find it a bit dry at times but also some great insights.
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy the read. I thought I would, but didn't.
Maria
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in the last two years. A great journey!
Tapalleaf
it is the book which i really wanted to read
Wendy
Nov 28, 2009
Mark Bourdon
Oct 18, 2012
Laura Anne
rated it did not like it
May 11, 2015
Victoria Talbot
Jul 20, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chogyam Trungpa
  • Women Of Wisdom
  • The Guru Drinks Bourbon?
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Thrashing About with God: Finding Faith on the Other Side of Everything
  • In the Shadow of the Buddha: Secret Journeys, Sacred Histories, and Spiritual Discovery in Tibet
  • Turtle Feet
  • Invisible: A Memoir
  • Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing
  • Firewater: How Alcohol Is Killing My People (and Yours)
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Girls Come Marching Home: Stories of Women Warriors Returning from the War in Iraq
  • Jailed for Freedom: American Women Win the Vote
  • Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer
Vidyadhara Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Tibetan: ཆོས་ རྒྱམ་ དྲུང་པ་ Wylie: Chos rgyam Drung pa; also known as Dorje Dradul of Mukpo, Surmang Trungpa, after his monastery, or Chökyi Gyatso, of which Chögyam is an abbreviation) was a Buddhist meditation master, scholar, teacher, poet, and artist. He was the 11th descendent in the line of Trungpa tulkus of the Kagyü school of Tibetan Buddhism. He was al ...more
“have forgotten it all, and anyway there is nothing to remember; everything is illusion, yet I am confident that all is well.” Just before his death the old man said, “When I die you must not move my body for a week; this is all that I desire.” 0 likes