Start by marking “Bound to Last: 30 Writers on Their Most Cherished Book” as Want to Read:
Bound to Last: 30 Writers on Their Most Cherished Book

Bound to Last: 30 Writers on Their Most Cherished Book

Bound to Last, an array of writers come to the passionate defense of the printed book with spirited, never-before-published essays celebrating the hardcover or paperback that matters most to them-not necessarily because of its content, but because of the significance it holds for them as a one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable object. Whether focusing on the circumstances behind ho ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about Bound to Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound to Last

Start your review of Bound to Last: 30 Writers on Their Most Cherished Book
Mikki
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I love books. I love books about books. I especially love books about books that are loved by those who write them, so, by all reasoning, this should have been an easy winner.

It's beautifully designed -- deep burgundy with a worn appearance of bent pages, rubbed edges and curling corners which give the book a well loved feeling, a favorite that's been pulled from the shelf time and time again. On the back cover in large capital lettering it screams out:

LOVERS OF THE PRINTED BOOK…ARISE!

I liked
Don
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shortly after my mother passed away, I awoke at 3 AM and could not get back to sleep. My mind was alive with memories of an idyllic childhood filled with laughter and love. I got out of bed, went to the BARD website, and downloaded Waddy Piper's classic, "The Little Engine That Could." My earliest childhood memory finds me listening attentively as my mother read that incredible story, probably for the zillionth time. Somehow, I never tired of it. Even now, as a 57 year old adult, there are times ...more
Andrea
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A round of applause.
Khalia
Sigrid Nunez's mother saddened me: a woman who adored books but only could afford few. A bibliophage always desires ownership of books that strike our fancy. Being a woman connected to Nigeria, Chris Abani's essay on unrestricted freedom to read in childhood led him to Another Country by James Baldwin, left me desiring more avenues for myself.

This anthology proves stellar.
Eric Stinton
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
It felt a bit perverse to read this on my phone, but it was worth it nonetheless. For having 30 different writers, there was a weird uniformity to the voice of the collection, but no essay was worse than "pretty good." Here are the ones that stick out the most to me:

The Stranger by Anthony Swofford
The Shadow of the Sun by Nick Flynn
The Bible by Joyce Maynard
Les Miserables by Louis Ferrante
The Viking Portable Dorothy Parker by J. Courtney Sullivan
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy by Terre
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Interesting tales of the book most prominient in the lives of various authors. Those of us who love books will relate to the tales, some which border on obssesion with a particular book. Many of the chapters are an argument against e books because physical books have texture. Paper books have an aesthetic not duplicated in the plastic, odor free, generic face of an e reader. Every book I read on my kindle looks like the last. Ironically, I read this book on my kindle, but halfway through it I re ...more
Dean
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
A serviceable read if the premise of 30 writers espousing on their most 'cherished' book appeals to you. Writing is good overall, but the collected authors run the gamut from established to obscure which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preferences. This is a good looking book though - nice stiff cover with blatant design homage to 'Catcher in the Rye.'
Keith
I received this book as a gift and misunderstood what it’s about. It’s not, as I thought, the best book that the contributors have read but the most cherished. This gives the book a latitude that is often charming and often very sad. One example is the guy trying to read Pynchon’s latest novel before he goes blind.
Elizabeth
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I loved this, but rarely for the reasons it was advertised/introduced: as an ode to the physical book. While some writers reflected on this more than others, this was really just a series of interesting, personal essays about 30 cherished--and quite varied--books.
Cassandra
Apr 20, 2011 is currently reading it
Came upon this book by chance in looking for books by Sigrid Nunez, which I never found. Turns out she wrote a chapter in this book. So I bought it on a whim. Her most cherished book: Edith Hamilton's Mythology, also one of my most cherished.
Michele
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!!! I love reading books about books and this one is truly great. The essays by the authors are written well. This book inspired me to read new books, and I will read this one again!
Kevin Ramirez

• Burn the Place: A Memoir
  • Real Life
  • The Yellow House
  • The Adventurer's Son
  • Citizen Reporters: S.S. McClure, Ida Tarbell, and the Magazine That Rewrote America
  • Sincerely, Harriet
  • Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
  • Happy Singlehood: The Rising Acceptance and Celebration of Solo Living
  • Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo
  • The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World
  • The Hard Tomorrow
  • What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance
  • The Berenstain Bears at the Teen Rock Cafe (Big Chapter Books)
  • Billie Holiday: The Musician and the Myth