Start by marking “The Velveteen Rabbit ” as Want to Read:
The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  189,372 Ratings  ·  2,782 Reviews
A stuffed toy rabbit (with real thread whiskers) comes to life in Margery Williams's timeless tale of the transformative power of love. Given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, the Velveteen Rabbit lives in the nursery with all of the other toys, waiting for the day when the Boy (as he is called) will choose him as a playmate. In time, the shy Rabbit befriends the tattere ...more
Published 1992 by Mammoth (first published 1922)

Rachel C.
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and deeply touching. At Meredith's wedding last year, her brother and sister read a passage from this book, including the below - an inspired choice.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
Bill
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, favorites
A terrific book, even as an adult, but it gave me quite a scare as a little kid. See, I actually managed to get scarlet fever in the first grade, and because of The Velveteen Rabbit, I was terrified that someone was going to come in and force me to burn all of my toys like the kid in the book had to when he was sick. Thankfully, though, medicine advanced beyond toy burning in between the publishing of this book and 1982, so my G.I. Joes were safe.
Elyse
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I wrote a review about this book on this site at one time or another.......

The review may be lost ---my memories of this book never are!

I own it.......
Its a children's favorite!

*Thanks Duane --for re-visiting of memories from when you recently read it!
Agir(آگِر)
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Agir(آگِر) by: Christy
What is REAL?’ asked the Rabbit one day…
Real isn’t how you are made,’ said the Skin Horse.
It’s a thing that happens to you…

But these things don’t matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly

description

Carol
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1922, a REAL gem of a classic!
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Regine
Shelves: childrens, given-away
The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams Bianco (1881-1944) was originally published in 1922 when she was 41 years old.

Tonight is my first time to read this book. Shame on me. It only took 15 mins to read it and at first I was totally not impressed. I thought I already saw the theme of previously-cherished toys being discarded either in favor of a newer or more hi-tech toy or when the child becomes an adult used in Disney/Pixar's movie Toy Story. I also thought I already
Sylvain Reynard
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some children's books should be read by adults. This is one of them. It examines the transforming power of love.
Duane
Shame on you "Toy Story", you knocked off "The Velveteen Rabbit' and didn't even say thank you. Of course this was published in 1922, seventy-three years before Toy Story, so most of today's children haven't read this, which is a shame because it's a sweet story, soft and gentle like the little rabbit.
Terence
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My nieces
Recommended to Terence by: Maevisvintage
This is my teddy bear:

His name is “Teddy” and I have no recollection of getting him, but he has been with me for over 35 years. I can’t say that he and I were (are) as close as the Boy and his Rabbit. I have no memories of sleeping with him nor of fervently clutching him when afraid nor of making ersatz bear dens for his comfort but he was always on the periphery of my life. Lurking on top of my dresser, carelessly tossed on the bed or (today) carefully packed away with a few other childhood tre
Maggie Campbell
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It doesn't happen all at once. You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Aryn
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book scarred me for goddamned life. I still can't get rid of a stuffed animal. Do you have any idea how many stuffed animals live in my basement because of this book?
Ronyell
Velveteen Rabbit

“The Velveteen Rabbit” is Rabbit Ears’ first classic story that is based off of Margery Williams’ popular tale and it is about how a toy rabbit learns the true meaning of being real. With Meryl Streep’s tender narration, George Winston’s soft music and David Jorgensen’s beautiful illustrations, “The Velveteen Rabbit” is an instant classic that children will watch over and over again.

What made this video truly memorable was Meryl Streep’s tender and soothing narration. Meryl Streep gives the st
Audrey
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful beautiful story. During my second year of teaching, I started taking 30 minutes or so on Fridays to read a children's story to my juniors, and then we'd discuss it in the context of a shared letters project that was ongoing through the year. It never failed that I would cry every time I read this story -- the whole concept of being real as it is explained in the book just moves me so much. When you are shabby and well-worn and your whiskers are rubbed off and your fur is patchy, ...more
Wendy Darling
My favorite book of all time . . . .with timeless themes of love and loss. If you've never heard Meryl Streep pitch-perfect reading of this book, or seen David Jorgensen's beautiful drawings, you've never really experienced it properly.
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What a beautiful and touching story. I was truly blown away by it's originality and subtle message... there is nothing much else to say: it is a heartbreaking story. I cried and cried and just wanted the opportunity to love the Velveteen rabbit forever.
Ammara Abid
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franco  Santos
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Quién le dio licencia a esta mujer para romper corazones? Quiero denunciar abuso de poder.
Sloan
This is by far my favorite book from childhood. My mother read it to me countless times. I really can’t express what this tiny book means to me. It brings me to tears every time I read it. It also makes me pull out my own version of "a velveteen rabbit," which is a little gray bear that I have had since the day I was born. It's funny but when I pull that bear out and hold him in my arms it brings a rush of comfort and a feeling that everything is right.

This story is a classic that should be rea
Paul Nash
Didn't everyone read this as a child? I sure did and I made my mom read it over and over. I saw a post of this today and was like, "holy shit! I forgot all about this book"...
So here is my small review on such a wonderful children's book! 5 stars
Mahsa
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
حیفه که وقتی بچه بودم ایت کتابو نخوندم... خیلی هم حیفه. یه قصه ی فوق العاده س که قبل از خواب بخونی؛ بخاطر سادگیش، بخاطر مفهوم قشنگ و تلخ و شیرینش، و بخاطر دوست داشتنی بودنش.
داستان از خرگوش مخملیِ اسباب بازی میگه و آرزوش برای واقعی شدن. از این میگه که با دوست داشته شدن میتونه واقعی بشه، که با دوست داشته شدن میتونیم واقعی بشیم...

Bob
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read this before and it was ever read to me as a child I don't remember it. This is another great book in my search for good reading and stories for my grandchildren.
booklady
I've lost track of all the times I've read this wonderful sweet story. But my favorite was when I copied and sent the following portion of it to my very REAL mom in a birthday card/letter to let her know how much she is loved:
“What is REAL?” asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... “Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?”

“Real isn't how you are made,” said the Skin Horse. “It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to
Jinky
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
My scanned copy (this library edition doesn't have Bianco and it's 44pg long; isbn:0385077483; I don't see a copyright date but process date of this book in the library stated 4/1/87)
Velveteen Rabbit

I read one of those Christmas toddler abridged board book version of this book a long time ago and found it to be a darling story. I wanted to see the original version so I checked this out from my local library. Sweet story. Oddly enough, I think I like the abridged version better (perhaps due to the illustrations
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath.

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of the earliest books I can remember...special place on my "childhood shelf."
Mia  Bakhthiar
IT'S MIDNIGHT AND I AM SOBBING DON'T TOUCH ME
Hilary
Beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story about how toys become real when you love them enough, we knew that of course but we suspect some might not realise this so it has a very important message.

There are some sad bits and it was hard to read aloud in places, but a happy ending!
RedL.
3/4 I Shouldn't Have To Let Go Stars

I am almost sure everyone has read this book, grown up with it, revisited it as an adult. I am not one of them. I have found references and quotes from/to it in many different places, but if I hadn't been gifted with it this Christmas, I would have probably never bought it for myself.
It is the endearing tale I thought it was going to be and it moved me, inevitably...I couldn't help thinking of the soft toys my children still want in their beds, how they hug th
Sandy (CA)
A charming story of the transforming power of love, the importance of overlooking shortcomings, and the real power of magical thinking.

I listened to a superb Librivox recording by Sabrina Sterling to be found in the collection entitled Children's Short Works, Vol. 005.
Around the Year i...: The Velveteen Rabbit, by Margery Williams 7 59 May 28, 2017 08:36PM
LDS Ladies Book Club: The Velveteen Rabbit: July 1-7 7 14 Jul 10, 2016 03:26PM
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • The Story of Little Black Sambo
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
  • What Do People Do All Day?
  • Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4)
  • Miss Rumphius
Margery Williams Bianco was an English-American author, primarily of popular children's books. A professional writer since the age of nineteen, she achieved lasting fame at forty-one with the 1922 publication of the classic that is her best-known work, The Velveteen Rabbit.
More about Margery Williams Bianco...
“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
1499 likes
“Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 336 likes