Start by marking “Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix #2)” as Want to Read:
Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix #2)

Skavenslayer

(Gotrek & Felix #2)

Gotrek & Felix return to the city of Nuln to lie low and gain some steady employment. Being a sewer-jack would seem to be fairly mnudane work until the skaven raise their furry heads. The maze of sewers provides a perfect staging post for the foul chaos rat-men, as they seek to overwhelm the city. Luckily there are two people below ground who like a good fight. ...more
Published April 3rd 2003 by Black Library (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Skavenslayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skavenslayer

Start your review of Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix #2)
Joseph
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thud and blunder in the best possible sense of the term.

As in the previous volume (Trollslayer), this is structured as a collection of longish short stories; unlike in Trollslayer, there's a much stronger linkage between the stories.

After the events of the previous book, our heroes Gotrek Gurnisson, trollslayer-at-large, and his traveling companion/amanuensis Felix Jaeger (excerpts from whose book form the headers for each of the chapters) have come to the city of Nuln. Unfortunately, so have th
Matthew
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book two of the Gotrek and Felix series continues with our heroes trying to eke out a living in the great merchant city of Nuln. Much like the first book, Skavenslayer comprises of a series of short stories. This time, however, each story revolves around a central narrative concerning the titular Skaven, a race of cunning ratmen, and their efforts to conquer the city. I enjoyed Skavenslayer much more than the first book, as it brings out one of the Warhammer universe's more unique aspects, in bl ...more
Holden Attradies
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
This was the first Warhammer book I've read. I've heard from most people that play Warhammer that the books are pretty hit or miss, but since this is my first I don't really have a good field of reference. Regardless I enjoyed this, so either this was a hit or the books are better than the picky nerds make them out to be.

The writing style took a bit to get used to. Every few pages, and towards the end of the book every few paragraphs the center of narration shifted. It made the book feel very fa
Eli Parker
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is the worst thing I've read in quite a long time. The story is told in a series of episodes (Feels like it may have originally been published in a magazine or something?) in which the nefarious rat-man Skaven try various plots to invade the generic fantasy city of Nuln and are repelled with minimal effort.

I'm told that the heroes are more fun if you read the first book in the series, and I admit, I haven't. Gotrek is a disgraced dwarf who wants to redeem himself with a noble death in
Mark Proveau
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book in the series. Introduces Gotrek and Felix's annual nemesis, and really gets the series kicked off, leading to all the great adventures and characters they will meet going forward. As opposed to Trollslayer, this one is a proper novel, not a short story collection, and it's where I really got sucked into the series the first time through. Trollslayer was enough to wet my appetite, but the series really hits the beginning of its stride with Skavenslayer.
Steve Shepherd
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Skavenslayer is far better than Gotrek and Felix's previous adventure, Trollslayer. Where Trollslayer sped through multiple adventures way to fast for my liking, Skavenslayer focuses on a single, very detailed adventure, and brilliantly captures the races of man and skaven.

Gotrek and Felix are some of my favorite characters in fantasy literature. Take a fearless dwarf seeking death at the most powerful enemy, and a less than confident former nobleman who owes him a blood debt, and you have two v
Alice
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games-workshop
The main problem with this book is it’s just not that good.

I picked this up purely for the skaven content, which did not disappoint, and the maniacal mindset of the skaven characters hides all of King’s writing weaknesses. Who cares how cohesive the plot and structure are? They’re diseased, mutated, mad rats! I’ll forgive a multitude of writing sins if it means getting to read the ratmen’s dialogue and ridiculous schemes.

The human driven sections make the bad writing obvious. The characters re
汗屍 勞
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Memorable quote: "Two babies with one bludgeon"

This book essentially centres on the adventure of Felix and Gotrek in the city of Nuln. The book is divided into 3,4 chapters, each one describes an encounter with the Shaven. The final chapter is about the siege of Nuln, which is the cumulation of all previous chapters.

I also like how the King depicts the Shaven. They are evil and cunning enough to induce great atrocities, but at the same time they are just funny enough to keep the overall tone of
Paolo Zanella
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Second book of the series, this one, like the previous one, is strongly episodic in nature.
It has a stronger unifying theme than Trollslayer, that being the Skavens plotting to topple the city the main characters have taken residence in.
The Skavens constitute a peculiar shift in the standard doom & gloom tone of the Warhammer setting: the are silly, paranoid and comically inadequate at organizing their plans.

Sadly the book is just the usual reapplication of the standard template used in most of
Marco Baier
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I think of this book, the word "Shit" comes to mind...

Woah there fanboys, no need to bring out the torches, this has nothing to do with the quality of the book (which is awesome) but the profession of our two heroes at the beginning of the book. They are sewer jacks, making sure that the canalization network below the city Nuln stays clean.

You know what else you find in sewers (apart from the obvious). Rats. And some of them walk on two legs and talk.

Enter the Skaven.

Without spoiling the
Iain
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fine book, but a bit disappointing after Trollslayer. I think that's for two reasons: first we see _much_ less of Gotrek. This really is a story focused on Felix. which is fine, but when several minor characters say and think more during the tale than the tale's dwarven co-star ... I wasn't happy with the shift. Second, the book is less an anthology and more a cohesive whole. Part of the charm, I found, in Trollslayer was the variety. As each story stood more-or-less alone they were able to be ...more
Jake
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a bit of an odd one, rather then a normal novel, it is actually a series of short stories, connected by their central villain, the Skaven, and their setting, Nuln.

I really enjoyed discovering the Skaven's invasion method, and the inane ways their trickery leads to them backstabbing each other. Each main Skaven leader had some of their own unique personality which was really fun.

Felix really takes front stage in this story, with Gotrek being less involved, which was ok as it create
Geoff Battle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Skavenslayer is definitely an improvement on the fragmented Trollslayer. The structure is similar, with each chapter controlling the plot in a very linear fashion where each chapter sets up a villain to be dispatched, it's scenario by numbers akin to a roleplaying game. The characters are still rather two-dimensional and the action is to the point and little more. Skavenslayer does has have a stronger plot that draws the chapters together, rather than a disparate collection of stories which made ...more
Jonas Birk
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whereas the first entry in this series, Trollslayer, suffered from a flat plot, this one does not. It takes place in a single location and each story adds to the next to create a cohesive narrative. The main characters are still entertaining, as is the supporting cast. It also benefits from several characters appearing in multiple of the chapters—again, unlike the first entry.

A great example of heroic fantasy.
Nicola
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
old school, Old World, Warhammer Fantasy. I read it in my youth while RPG'ing Warhammer Fantasy and loved picking up immersive novels for the setting. It's a different experience picking up the novels again as an adult when many years have passed since I last read books of this ilk. My tastes have somewhat changed and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much although it was fun to reminisce.
Ross
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Plenty of action, a little too dependent on the Skaven destroying themselves or ruining their own plans in a comical way at every high point in the book. But an easy fast read with a great city-wide battle taking place in Nuln. Needs more input from Gotrek as well, too much of Felix and his blandness.
Metal Nyankos
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When mighty Skaven say-speak to man-things, man-things listen, yes-yes!

Frends and reeders of books - be warned! Only evil man-things of the trecherus surface world -- may they be poxed furever -- will say-speak that yoo shud not eye-read this akounting of most doo-bee-is deeds comited against yoor frends the Skaven! Yoo shud bee quik-quik too see for yoorself! Too not eye-read this werk will meen bad things wil hapen too yoo! Go QUIK! Yoo do not hav much time!

-Yoor frend
Christopher
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
***1/4: even the best sword & sorcery tends to work better as a series of inter-connected short stories and novellas rather than as an epic novel. This trend continues here as some repetition and bloat sets in. That said, I was very entertained as the characters are great! ...more
Eric Barnum
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Skaven, rat people on steroids, make this story. Their bumbling approach to tech interjects a fun dystopia into this fantasy setting. They are everything I ever wanted ratmen to be.
Mindaugas
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much stronger novel if to compare with Gotrek & Felix, book 1, but still much space to improve. I enjoyed it. ...more
Christopher Downing
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some seriously laugh out loud moments from the Skaven POVs.
Luke Lybert
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My personal favorite. Love the Ratmen. I am still biased.
Chris
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Certainly an improvement on book 1 - Trollslayer. Greater development of Felix and Gotrek.
Kenneth
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer
Gotrek and Felix faces the 4 Skaven clans at Nuln.
Tony Gallo
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The original! I remember loving this as a teen, now sure how well they would hold up today!
Andrew Alvis
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome book concerning our favourite Dwarf and Man partnership, foiling the plans of each Skaven sub-group and boy does it get heavy in the final stretch.
Ciaran Darcy
One of the best books in the series to my mind( along with the next book). Great story, introduces a fantatstic character and fleshes out the 2 heros a lot more than Trollsalyer did
Paweł Wajlonis
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fun to read!
Carl Phillips
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Better. A longer, more interesting story that reveals more world-building and insight into the setting (likely why people read BL books to begin with).
Lambert Cook
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read and introduction to the world of Gotrek and Felix for me. I look forward to the remaining books in this series.

• Necropolis (Gaunt's Ghosts #3)
  • The Daemon's Curse (Darkblade #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts #2)
  • Blood Sport
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts #1)
  • Reaper of Souls (Darkblade #3)
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • A Place of Quiet Assembly (Warhammer)
  • Drachenfels (The Vampire Genevieve #1)
  • Bloodstorm (Darkblade #2)
  • Kineater (Warhammer)
  • Warpsword (Darkblade #4)
  • Slayer of the Storm God  (Gotrek & Felix #10.5)
  • Lord of Ruin (Darkblade #5)
  • False Gods (Horus Heresy #2)
  • Genevieve Undead (The Vampire Genevieve #2)
  • Hereticus (Eisenhorn #3)
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. ...more

Gotrek & Felix (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix #1)
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix #3)
  • Dragonslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #4)
  • Beastslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #5)
  • Vampireslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #6)
  • Giantslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #7)
  • Orcslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #8)
  • Manslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #9)
  • Elfslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #10)
  • Shamanslayer  (Gotrek & Felix #11)

News & Interviews