Start by marking “Lorax” as Want to Read:
Lorax

Lorax

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  230,437 Ratings  ·  3,233 Reviews
Dr. Seuss, pseudonym for Theodor Seuss Geisel, is world renowned for his inventiveness and wit. His stories are instantly recognizable by their use of fantastic words, clever rhymes, and unusual creatures-drawn in his distinctive style.
Published February 24th 1998 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Lorax, please sign up.

Petra Eggs
January 2015

A one-paragraph review of a children's book I didn't like has generated more trolls and their inevitable sock puppet alteregos than any other of my reviews, I've lost count of the number of them. I delete some of their comments, some delete their own (and their profiles), some GR do. But what is there about this review or about the book that generates this kind of over-the-top reaction from obviously mentally-unstable individuals?
_____

Maybe I'm just not a Dr. Seuss person but I hate
Archit Ojha
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks

Oh Lorax, what did we make of your world.

Your beasts that were,

The trees that were dear.

The Lorax project is a commendable effort on behalf of Dr. Seuss Enterprise and Random House.

Apprises the children of the fact that they just might be the last generation seeing a lot of things.
Tim
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
You can have your Silent Spring and Inconvenient Truth. The Lorax and his lesson of unless is, to me, the most moving piece of environmental literature ever. It shows that a) good children's literature doesn't have to be simplistic or happy to be effective and b) that you certainly need not be a member of a political group to appreciate the message that our drive to industrialize must not happen at the expense of our planet.
Alejandro
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of the very best books by Dr. Seuss!

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!!

UNLESS someone like you.

It’s not.

This is one other of the best ever tales by Dr. Seuss.

Like, The Sneetches was crafted in the 60s, it’s not wonder that The Lorax was conceived in 1971, since it was the decade where ecology finally became a relevant issue in the conscience of people.

A powerful story showing in a very open way, how grimm will be our future (and sadly,
Ronyell
“The Lorax” is one of Dr. Seuss’ most memorable books as it is about the importance of taking care of all of the trees in the world. “The Lorax” may have some controversial issues, but it is still a great book for both children and adults to treasure for many years.

Dr. Seuss’ story about how chopping down too many trees can destroy the Earth’s environment is truly powerful and moving as it realistically portrays what can happen to the environment when trees are cut down through Dr. Seuss’ childi
Michael Finocchiaro
Now who would have thought that Seuss back in the 60’s would have already been concerned about the destruction of the environment – so much so that he wrote this incredible and addictive story (asked for by my son two to three times a week). My kid is always asking me about the Once-ler “Why can’t we see his body? Why did he make the Barba-loots go away? Why did he cut down the Truffula tree? What is a Thneed?” The lessons are so simple and yet so subtle here – and it is great on so many differe ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Hate to see less than 5 Stars for a Seuss!

I'm taking my Grand-girl to the the movie [her first IMAX] today and remembered I should rate in GR.

I was raised on Seuss, my kids were raised on Seuss and now a third generation. What is not to love?

Happy Reading!
Robert Bickers
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so it's a heavy-handed enviromental terror-tale. It's also the Seuss book that stuck with me the longest. Of all the books I read as a little kid, it's the one that I still remember making me feel something.

I'm a conservationist-not an environmentalist by any stretch. The Lorax didn't teach me to hate industry or chew on organically-sustainable bark. It taught me to care about nature. To this day, decades after I read and re-read it, the drawing of the barren wasteland still gets to me.
Trish
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books by Dr. Seuss in general, but The Lorax is definitely and by far my absolute favourite!

Now, for any who have seen the film and not read the book yet, I should say that the book is slightly different, because the story is slightly shorter, which would not have worked for a movie.

Nevertheless, or maybe exactly because of this, the book with its' magnificently cute drawings and wonderful rhymes is even more beautiful.
A very important book to teach people (not just kids) about the impor
Foad
UNLESS someone like you
It's not!
Skylar Burris
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This gets five stars for being beautifully written, and one for being heavy handed, which averages out to four for me. I'm a conservationist, but there is no nuance in The Lorax's presentation of environmentalism: the book simply demonizes business.

The Once-ler is an extreme negative caricature of the capitalist: what he offers society as an entrepreneur is not valuable in any way, he has no regard for anything but his own profit, and he proceeds with reckless abandon. Of course, in a world tha
Andrea
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So, I understand that this book was written a long time ago, before this kind of environmental fairy tale was popularized, and perhaps when it was needed more. But it still seems like a total straw man (hello? can't you just plant your own grove of sustainable truffula trees?). And does the Lorax have to be such a jerk about everything? Maybe he could propose some sort of compromise . . . I guess as a kids' book it's supposed to be simple for kids to understand, but kids aren't that dumb. I like ...more
Cruth
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Author/Illustrator: Dr Seuss
First published: 1971

The ankle-biter had seen the animated movie The Lorax with her cousins and was keen to read the book. I was wary because a) I understood the movie was substantially different to the book, and b) her reading ability (vocab and comprehension) IMO surpassed Dr Seuss. BUT she'd been "studying" Dr Seuss at school in relation to poetry so I picked up the book and mo
Salymar
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*After watching and reading The Lorax by Dr. Seuss*

Pollution is one of the major problems of the world.
Pollution that is brought by thousands of reasons.
One of those reasons include: millions of trees being chopped down (not just in one forest) causing smog to constantly spread and form in numerous parts of the world.
And at some point or another, we will begin to realize that having water and fresh air of high quality, in the amount we wish, and whenever we wish to use it, will become extremely
Jason
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has nobody read this book? All these years and we are still chopping down trees, creating loads of pollution and happily killing off animals.

This has to be Dr. Seuss's most serious book, he tones down the silliness and tries to get across his warning. The illustrations are wonderful, the start is so bleak and drab, all shades of grey and once the story gets told the colours are so vivid they jump out of the page at you, only for you to watch the grey come back as the trees get cut down.

Wonderful
Renee
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This review consists of three parts: 1. My son's review (5 years old), 2. My daughter's review (8 years old), and 3. My review (the Mom). These are excerpts from the full review. To see the whole thing, visit us at www.motherdaughterbookreviews.com :)

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it: I liked the funny, interesting names like Lorax and Once-ler. I liked the Truffula trees – they look like long stumps with hair. I didn’t like that the Once-ler was cutting the trees because the tree
Taylor
never polute, RIGHT ON
Arman
This is easily Dr.seuss' best book I've read so far. It's full of rich moral tips for kids reading the story. They'll bump into concepts of greed , saving this planet , importance of every individual in changing the world we live in and maybe even more worthy things for the first time.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. If there'd be a particular motive inside me to be a father someday, it'd definitely be due to the drive of reading these awesome children stories to my kid!
Kathryn
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been many years since I read this book and I was actually hugely impressed. First, it's simply brilliant Dr. Seuss in terms of the writing style and illustrations--gotta love the fishies and bears and that cute little Lorax--and did anyone notice how Grinch-y the Once-ler's hands looked!?--and the rhymes and "nonsense" words that really make so much SENSE. Gosh, I love me some Dr. Seuss! And I love that, in the end, it is a young person who is entrusted with shaping the world--yay, empowere ...more
Stephen
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
3.0 stars. Another classic Dr. Seuss installment. Not up to the level of his best work (e.g., The hat wearing cat, the grump and the emerald breakfast with ham) but still a fun one to read to the kids.
Katie
"Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

I meant to read this book for Earth Day (even though I know I've read it before but I can't remember when), but I forgot, so I read it today instead.

In case anyone doesn't know, this is the story of how a being called the Once-ler comes upon a forest of Truffula trees and decides that he wants to cut them down and use the tufts of the trees to make Thneeds and turn a huge profit. It shows the negative side ef
Ridhika Khanna
And for a few minutes, I became a kid again. I remember my first animated movie as a kid was "Dot and the Whale". It was based on a similar environmental theme. A girl named Dot rescuing a whale with the help of his dolphin friend Wilson. I spent countless hours watching it again and again.
It left a strong impact on me and maybe became a reason for me to pursue scuba and mountaineering.
I felt the same after reading "The Lorax",.

A sad plight of our environment today where everybody is busy consu
Julianna
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Children's Fiction w/a Message
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been a huge fan of Dr. Seuss since childhood, but there are many of his books that I didn't get a chance to read as a child. The Lorax is one of them. I first read it several years ago with my own kids. That's when I realized Dr. Seuss was far more than a writer and illustrator of humorous, whimsical picture books. He was a man with a lot of depth, who cared deeply about things like social and environmental issues. After initially reading The Lorax, I knew I had to l
Gavin Abdollahi
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better, it's not.

This is Dr. Seuss at his very best.
Unlike almost every single one of Dr Suess' books, the Lorax is not just a jumble of made up words. It's not just silly fun, like the Cat In the Hat, either.
It's a story with a meaning, and a very good message.
Set in an alternate future where trees are all but gone, and the world is now a swirl of smoke and smog, a young boy visits the Onceler, a strange, green being whom w
Sirajam Munir Shraban
চমৎকার একটা ফযানটাসির জগৎ। গাছগুলো সব চকলেটের মতো। অসমভব সুনদর সুনদর রঙ তাদের! গাছের পাতা থেকে রেশমের মতো সুতা পাওয়া যায়। কিনতু এই চমৎকার রঙিন দিন এখন অতীত :( । বরতমানে কোনো গাছই আর পৃথিবীতে অবশিষট নেই। কী ছিল সেই কাহিনী, কেন সব শেষ হয়ে গেল? ছনদে ছনদে বলা আছে এখানে। এই বইটিকে ভিততি করে একটি এনিমেটেড চলচচিতর নিরমিত হয়েছিল। মুভিটাও দারুণ হয়েছিল। [পিডিএফ লিঙক] ...more
Antje
What a brilliant way to teach kids about environmental awareness! The story of Lorax and his attempt to protect his fellow animals for the loss of their livelihood is just heartbreaking. Written in vivid rhymes it also is a pleasure to read it aloud. Even as an adult I enjoyed reading it a lot and it won't be the last time I did.
Michael J.J. Tiffany
Classic social and economic treatise on the tragedy of the commons and the futility of environmentalist agitation in the absence of property rights.
Philip
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Philip by: Timothy Krecsmar
The Lorax is not a story about the environment, it's a story about economics.

I had never read The Lorax before yesterday, and I hadn't watched the movie. In class, we're studying economics when another teacher said, "hey could I bring in The Lorax tomorrow?"

Obviously, I'm familiar with Dr. Seuss - and the book, but I'd never read it. Still, I trust this other teacher who has yet to let me down. "Sure, bring it in."

The rest of this review is going to be a 7th grade social studies lesson, meant t
Shoa Khan
"Unless someone like you
It's not."

Read this for Dr. Seuss's birthday this year, and ended up being unintentionally color-coordinated! #HaseenIttefaq :D

adding books to the bookshelves 2 3 May 02, 2017 09:36AM
LDS Ladies Book Club: June 8-14: The Lorax 9 18 Jun 12, 2016 07:21PM
the lorax 2 12 Mar 03, 2016 11:59PM
  • Animalia
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • The Paper Bag Princess
  • The Wump World
  • Serendipity
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • The Three Questions
  • Everyone Poops
  • Squids Will be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables (Picture Puffin)
  • The Story of Ferdinand
More about Dr. Seuss...

11 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
8355 likes
“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” 1432 likes