Start by marking “The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story” as Want to Read:
The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story

The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  4,959 Ratings  ·  250 Reviews
In the weird glow of the dying millennium, Michael Lewis sets out on a safari through Silicon Valley to find the world's most important technology entrepreneur, the man who embodies the spirit of the coming age. He finds him in Jim Clark, who is about to create his third, separate, billion-dollar company: first Silicon Graphics, then Netscape—which launched the Information ...more
MP3 CD, 0 pages
Published August 15th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The New New Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New New Thing

Mark Ruzomberka
Mar 29, 2011 Mark Ruzomberka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to fathom Jim Clark, whom this book is really about, lead three different Billion Dollar companies: Silicon Graphics, Netscape, and Healtheon (WebMD). He and his companies are the focus of this book. The author also gives a heck of a review of the crazy times that were the late 1990s in technology but as well as the stock market. I think Biff Tannen (you know Biff from Back to the Future) would have been better off with this book than his Sports Almanac. Imagine knowing the exact comp ...more
Darwin8u
Aug 31, 2014 Darwin8u rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
“Never was a man’s love of risk so beautifully amplified by his environment as Clark’s was in Silicon Valley.”
― Michael Lewis, The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story

description

I did like Lewis' exploration of the relationship of Investment banking and the information technology companies that seemed to weed up in Silicon Valley during the late 90s. The normal venture technology relationship seemed to invert in Silicon Valley. Power shifted from the money men to the idea men, or perhaps not even the ide
Amber
My least favorite of the in-depth Lewis books, but that's not saying much. Unlike Liar's Poker, which Lewis thought would bring sweeping change by bringing some sketchy practices to light but still rings true, The New New Thing feels dated now, 10 years later. Nonetheless, as someone who understood the late 1990s tech boom only peripherally, this book was insightful, both in terms of those companies' business models (or lack thereof, as the case may be) and some of the relevant personalities. (S ...more
Tom
Dec 25, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis, Michael, (1999) The New New Thing, W.W. Norton & Company, New York, NY. A witty and insightful look into the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Silicon Valley, told as a story of the adventures of Jim Clark, a serial entrepreneur. One of the best books ever written on the Valley.
Riku Sayuj
First let down by Lewis for me. Slightly more detailed review to follow.
Richard Block
Hero Worshipping the Devil

Michael Lewis - one of my favourites - often centres his books around heroes - whether nice or nasty - and the New New Thing has his most blatant hero so far - Jim Clark. He is as repulsive as a hero gets, often confusing us with his selfish, ludicrous behaviour. Lewis falls for Clark like a high school sweetheart - blindly in love, yet somehow keeping enough of his senses to avoid being buggered to death.

Jim Clark is a genius, and as such invites our sympathy. Having a
Remo
Este libro ha envejecido, no demasiado pero da la sensación al leerlo de estar leyendo un libro de historia, todo lo contrario que con El póker del mentiroso, que sigue hoy tan vigente como entonces.
Me encanta el olfato que tiene ML para elegir los temas sobre los que escribe. elija lo que elija, hasta ahora, siempre me ha parecido el tema más interesante del mundo.
En esta ocasión asistimos a la creación, ascenso y pinchazo de la burbuja de las puntocom desde primera fila, siguiendo la historia
Scott
Aug 21, 2014 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, like most of Michael Lewis' books, but it felt less engaging than others. But, despite this book being published over a decade ago, it's still relevant and provides a lot of interesting context for the beginnings of the tech industry as we know it today.

One main takeaway was how Jim Clark helped to shift the startup value system to favor labor (founders) and their ideas/execution over capital (VCs), but that's only true for some companies (Google, Facebook, etc.) but not for others,
Shivam Sharma
Mar 10, 2016 Shivam Sharma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what Michael Lewis does not emphasize enough in this book (and he should have) is the fact that this is not just yet another story of from rags to riches but the story of just how the mania of the internet bubble came to existence in the 90s and how that influenced not just the traditional investors, wall street bankers and the silicon valley then new venture capitalists.... it shows u how the technicians, the coders, the hackers, the wizards, the architects of the new world who were supposed to ...more
Mattaca Warnick
The New New Thing chronicles a few years in the life of Jim Clark, billionaire founder of Netscape and Healtheon. Part biography, part internet success story, The New New Thing doesn't have the same focus as Moneyball or The Blind Side, meandering from Clark's various business successes to his obsession with building a computerized sailboat. The book would have benefited from a stronger narrative thread. Lewis's efforts to coin a phrase ("the new new thing") also fall flat.

Ultimately, Clark is
Zarko
May 11, 2013 Zarko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lewis' style of writing and have thoroughly enjoyed this book. My personal interest in Web and it's history was one of the reasons why I picked up this book in the first place and although it follows the career of one man, Jim Clark, the founder of Netscape, I still found it very interesting.
Stefan Fergus
Jan 14, 2015 Stefan Fergus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* - good, but not nearly as good as Flash Boys and The Big Short. Interesting stuff.
Pete
Apr 23, 2014 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, nonfiction
The New, New Thing (2001) by Michael Lewis looks at Jim Clark and the internet age. It’s one of a number of books including Nudist on the Night Shift and Triumph of the Nerds that looks at the first Dot-com Bubble in Silicon Valley.
Jim Clark founded Silicon Graphics Incorporated (SGI) which was the computer company that brought real-time 3D graphics to the market. Clark laid out a chip called the geometry engine that was a VLSI design that performed matrix transformations, clipping and mapping a
Peter L
Feb 24, 2014 Peter L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd of Michael Lewis's books I found via some excerpt in Vanity Fair or the New York Times that changed my life forever! His ability to tell a story while at the same time pulling out and discerning the key insights to his protagonist's success -in this case new Billionaire and Angel Investor Jim Clark fresh off of knocking one out of the park and shaping what we now cannot go without everyday -the internet- via his venture in Netscape!

He shares many anecdotes and stories with the raw detail
Glenn Conley
Oct 08, 2014 Glenn Conley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
After reading this book, I wanted to read everything Michael Lewis every wrote. Then, I found out he loves baseball, or some shit, and wrote a bunch of baseball books. Fuck that shit. Baseball sucks.

But, this book is fucking awesome. Lewis weaves a thrilling tale, with fascinating characters, just like a novel. Of how the west was won. How did all those big start-ups succeed, and why did those epic failures fail. As an entrepreneur, I find this book absolutely thrilling.

If you don't give a fuck
Thufeil Muhammad
Aug 14, 2016 Thufeil Muhammad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New New Thing gives an inside look on how the Internet boom came to life in the late 90's and how the world gravitated towards Silicon Valley companies. Michael Lewis' fluent storytelling kept me pleasantly engaged with his fluid narrative and his top-notch insights on the financial market industry. Great book
Ron
Aug 18, 2014 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. True life.

Great read. True life.

Story holds your attention. Want to make One Billion dollars? Who doesn't? Jim Clark helped dozens of people become millionaires. See how.
Brendan
Aug 23, 2015 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it would make more sense for me to have several billion dollars. I would enjoy it more.
Rejeev Divakaran
Easy reading, not much substance!
Iwan
Mar 12, 2017 Iwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
If not anything else, this book is mighty inspiring. Obviously Jim Clark is painted as a hero, but that's not important, what is important is that is paints a picture of how the democratization of the computer-world, and the Internet in particular, has changed the role of the engineer. Jim Clark is one of the first people to turn the nerd, the geek into a cool dude, one that leads instead of follows.
I particularly liked the passages on Hyperion, the sailboat with the highest mast, they were expl
Christa Van
Jul 04, 2017 Christa Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Clark is described as "an American treasure," "insufferable," and "infuriating." He is also the guy who headed three billion dollar businesses, and made his fortune by seeing what was coming and jumping on it way before there was a bandwagon and before anyone saw that he was right. In depth and covering less of the economics that Lewis in known for, you get a look into Clark but what we see is so confusing, I'm not sure I learned much. Still fun to read and hard to imagine, the idea of hoppi ...more
Francis
An easy and quick read like most of Lewis' books however it was a chore to get through some portions of it. I was more interested in reading about what was going on with Clark's various companies (Silicon Graphics, Haltheon, Netscape, MyCFO) but, instead Lewis spent about 100 pages talking about the man's boat. I mean, I get it, it was a metaphor to show that he was always searching for something bigger and better but, I just lost interest whenever the book went in that direction.
Rahmad
May 06, 2017 Rahmad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about Jim Clark during Healteon's founding

This book tells the story of when Jim Clark created His 3rd Billion dollar company: Healteon. This is not an account of how Healtheon was created but on Jim Clark during that time, which included his attempt to create a fully automated yacht. It is an interesting read if you want to know about Jim Clark the person.
José Vasco
Jan 26, 2017 José Vasco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The New New Thing is an interesting chronicle that takes us inside the perspective of serial founder Jim Clark. It shows how crazy and innovative the ways of Silicon Valley are and how certain phenomena related to valuations, companies and reputation are justified.
Peter Staadecker
Lewis has a dry, understated humour that is wonderfully apparent in both "The New New Thing" and "Liar's Poker". If you have an interest in the world of the dotcom bust ("The New New Thing") or the world of finance ("Liar's Poker") these books provide a wonderful insider's view.
Jacek
May 16, 2017 Jacek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was expecting a 'typical Lewis' - nice non-fiction centered about interesting characters. Got a GREAT business book instead.
Allison
Jul 17, 2017 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting take on the internet revolution
Jay
Mar 20, 2017 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent Michael Lewis book but not as good as his books on the financial markets. Reading the story two decades after the birth of the Internet is kind of strange. It amazes me how far we have gotten from when Netscape first came out; how much more the internet is used today for all sorts of information, entertainment and especially for communication. The story of Jim Clark and the new new thing has almost a feeling of nostalgia to it.
Julian R.
Jun 11, 2017 Julian R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible story on one of the greatest technology innovators in the world, written by one of the greatest writers in the world. Excellent!
Dan
Feb 20, 2017 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book that follows the story of Jim Clark, the founder of Silicon Graphics, Netscape, and Healtheon. After reading the book I still can't decide if he was a genius or just a guy who happened to be at the right place (Silicon Valley) at the right time (90s) with some maybe-not-even-right ideas (especially Healtheon) who got lucky.

To me Clark seems to be one of those guys who is really awesome in a book or a movie because he tells people like it is and doesn't mince words, but in real l
  • The Silicon Boys: And Their Valley of Dreams
  • Accidental Empires
  • Nerds 2.0.1
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Weaving the Web: The Original Design and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Fixing the Game: Bubbles, Crashes, and What Capitalism Can Learn from the NFL
  • On Competition
  • The Predators' Ball: The Inside Story of Drexel Burnham and the Rise of the Junk Bond Raiders
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
  • The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest
Michael Lewis, the best-selling author of Liar’s Poker, The Money Culture, The New New Thing, Moneyball, The Blind Side, Panic, Home Game, The Big Short, and Boomerang, among other works, lives in Berkeley, California, with his wife and three children.
More about Michael Lewis...

“His life was dedicated to the fine art of tearing down and building anew.” 1 likes
“There is nothing more satisfying to me,” he said, “than to create a complete self-contained world when a computer is controlling it.” 1 likes