Start by marking “Responsive Web Design” as Want to Read:
Responsive Web Design

Responsive Web Design

(A Book Apart #4)

From mobile browsers to netbooks and tablets, users are visiting your sites from an increasing array of devices and browsers. Are your designs ready? Learn how to think beyond the desktop and craft beautiful designs that anticipate and respond to your users’ needs. Ethan Marcotte will explore CSS techniques and design principles, including fluid grids, flexible images, and ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by A Book Apart (first published March 1st 2011)

Responsive Web Design by Ethan MarcotteDesigning for Emotion by Aarron WalterHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithMobile First by Luke WroblewskiCSS3 For Web Designers by Dan Cederholm
A Book Apart
28 books — 27 voters
Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
44 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine Nelson
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very short book; I think it took me an hour or so to read all the way through. BUT...it brings together all the threads of the Responsive Web Design concept in a clear and useful way. (He's self-deprecating about it, but the math for calculating a flexible grid's proportions based on a pixel grid is easy and just what I needed.) I ended the book fired up to do design this way from now on, and to go back and update sites I already have out there. Great color screenshots, easy-to-read code. And ...more
Matt McClard
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Silly comment reader, don't read this comment when you could be reading the book this comment is about. It's awesome and might change web development for the better for the rest of humanity and you are just wasting time reading a review that has little to nothing to do with it.

Seriously, go read the book. You could have already read the first page by now.
Jeb
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh.
This book was uselessly beginnerish.
I can't imagine that anyone who'd pick this book up would be less than an intermediate Web designer. Beginners are way too focused on the functionality of their products to really think much of design beyond the basics. This book is targeted toward them and they're not going to read it.
Graham Herrli
Finally a book written by a designer who can actually write. Ethan Marcotte has a lively style, supporting his statements with vibrant anecdotes, analogies, jokes, and concrete examples. He grounds the book in traditional architecture and art history just enough to give it depth without detracting from its focus of responsive web design.

My favorite quotation from the book is:
Pretend for a moment that you're working as a front-end developer. (If you're already a front-end developer, well, prete
Corey Capetillo
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I've just finished going through the book and it's examples. It's quite handy in that it's collected several techniques for building a 'responsive' layout design. However, only look to this book for theory and history. This is NOT a step-by-step guide in building a responsive site from scratch. Previous experience in HTML, CSS, and Javascript is highly recommended.

See, this book has been written like many of the web development (html/css/js/php) tutorials you can find online by simply performing
Stringy
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: front-end web developers
Like all the previous items from A Book Apart, this is concise, useful and finds room for a little humour too. This one is about making websites that will cope with the multitude of different browser sizes and contexts web developers have to deal with these days.

I've read almost all the articles Marcotte references, and had started using some of the principles before beginning this book. But Marcotte brings them altogether in a way that has thoroughly convinced me to give up on merely elastic la
Deena Katma
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
For beginners in web design.. This book represent basics and concepts in build responsive web pages.
Steve
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design-n-dev
Is it too soon to call this book seminal? A decade ago, Jeffrey Zeldman's Designing WIth Web Standards certainly fit that description, convincing many of us to drop our table-based layouts in favour of accessible, standards-compliant CSS layouts. By my estimation Ethan Marcotte's 'Responsive Web Design' looks set to become just as formative by calling for another new approach to designing websites - this time, one better suited to the ever-increasing number of devices and browsers that people us ...more
Adam Wiggins
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Responsive web design is the idea that, when creating a web page, it should work seamlessly and correctly on all screen sizes and devices, from an iPhone or Android phone up through a widescreen desktop computer. But with so many computing devices available today (and many more coming in the future), you can't hope to customize the experience for each device.

Instead, the page's HTML, CSS, and Javascript should adapt to the device's reported capabilities. This book uses an example site to demonst
Chris
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found the whole book particularly interesting and believe anyone web-business-related can benefit from reading it.

Why I find it interesting? Because:

1. The book is technical enough for dev people not to get bored when reading, but covers all the fundaments: fluid coding (em, %), media-queries, progressive enhancement rather than degradation. (Chapters II - IV)

2. The book is not technical to much for designers - going through 'technical' part of the book gives design-heads an idea of what dev
Reido
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Web design is a field that's always progressing with time. And as a web designer it might seem intimidating. Because new standards are brought into play every 3 years, of even sooner. So it's a field that in which reinventing your self is is not an option. This book goes over the new creative method for designing websites that's sustainable for creating pages for all different devices. I would say if your feeling alarmed about approaching this new coding method. Don't be. Ethan Marcotte makes hi ...more
Davy
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
(3.5) Finally finished this book again! When I had read this the first time, I didn't notice the bit regarding working with engineering collaboratively, but I appreciated the recommendation to get to a live prototype in code and iterate the design with engineering, rather than spinning your wheels in a design tool.

This was a good updated primer for RWD, but I think the Responsible Responsive book has more tactical knowledge for engineers looking to implement responsive designs.
Phat Nguyen
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books to start learning about responsive web design. What makes it great is that it's not just a technical book on how to apply HTML and CSS to create responsive websites, it discuss the history, the principles and motivation behind the RWD movement, as well as providing numerous links to other excellent articles about this topic.

After finishing this book I feel much more motivated to dig deeper and research about this topic.
Aleš Roubíček
Hezký průvodce v tvorbě responsivních webů. Knížka není moc dlouhá a má plno zajímavých podnětů k přemýšlení. Hezky zapadá do koncepce ostatních knih z A Book Apart. Jen bych očekával u druhého aktualizovanáho vydání, že ta aktualizace bude trochu rozsáhlejší, občas jsou některé věci dost out of date. Např. v knize není ani jednou zmíněn prohlížeč Chrome. Nadruhou stranu je to celkem fuk, protože zmíněné postupy fungují.
Carlos
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excelente libro introduccion al responsive web design. Lo que me gustó es que es muy conceptual y los ejemplos técnicos de como implementarlo son bastante puntuales y ejemplificadores. Me imagino que a la hora de realizar una aplicación completa es necesario saber mucho más que eso, pero lo bueno de este libro es el enfoque desde el punto de vista del diseño y no solo del código.
Jason Zimdars
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended. Along with HTML5 For Web Designers, it is easily the best of "A Book Apart" offerings. It's a quick read with concrete examples – you can start using what you learn here immediately. It is well written and even funny at times.
Kevin
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
A really well written and thoroughly illustrated conceptualization of responsive web design. This is a book for coders and non-coders alike that provides ammunition for the fight to redevelop organizational websites that can be accessed device nonspecifically. A very good read if you're in the throes of working on a new website and would like it to function universally.
James Cridland
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally buy books like this, but this is a great tutorial into proper responsive web design; very well written and simple to understand. I've not finished it - because halfway through everything kind of "clicked" and I could do the job I wanted to do. I'd recommended it.
Ricardo Rocha
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-development
Great book, It helps to understand why Responsive web design is important now a days, and gives some code that helps understand the concept and implementing the idea.
Paul
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good overview of responsive design; however, when you got to the end and the issue of mobile-first design arose, it felt a little as if the rest of the book took you to a partial dead end.
Angela
Sep 02, 2012 added it
It's so good! cool!
Ahmad Alfy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is indeed a must read for front-end developers and web designers as well. The practices applied within this book have been standards for so many years and we've been following them already. The book helped me explain to my fellow designers about the philosophy behind RWD and how can we effectively produce a responsive design with less iterations and frustration. Before sharing this book with the designers I used to work with we used to struggle with their intention to always have a perfect ...more
Venkatesh-Prasad
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book provides a good peek into responsive web design via CSS3 and HTML5. While it covers fluid layout and media queries, it is more introductory. If you are looking for either a deep dive into concepts, terms, and nuances or a how-to guide for various situations, then this is not the book. If you are looking for an introduction to fluid layout and media queries, then this is the book; however, I wished the author would have gone into more details about the dynamics/interaction between fluid ...more
Anton
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web, design
Хорошо объясняет идеи RWD. Можно за несколько часов прочитать и всё понять. Вполне подходит для широкого круга читателей, с минимальным опытом разработки.

С другой стороны, про организацию процесса здесь достаточно мало, про Mobile First только в двух словах и т.п. Мне кажется, что это важная книга, но переоцененная.
Albert Dong
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Very quick read but 150 pages for 3-4 main points is a bit excessive. On the plus, each one of those points is heavily reinforced and plenty of examples are given for each. Great intro book towards responsive web design
Michael Mali
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are some important principles contained in this book as it relates to responsive web design, but ultimately, a lot of what it taught were things I inherently understood anyway. As technology has evolved, this book has become slightly out of date.
Fatih Tirki
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very useful info for beginner, avarage spelling, clear language, technical details are also useful to make responsive website. Good, my developer just changed some from book at https://www.medyator.net
Courtney Jordan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Father of responsive design - 'nuff said. Great book
Danny de Vries
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still relevant. Period.
Sergey Nadolskiy
Книга нереально крутая и захватывающая. Я только только открыл первую страницу и не заметил, как прочёл последнее слово в книге. Книга БОМБА. 5+
Web Development 2 4 Dec 16, 2018 08:20AM
Skragglies - The Digital Marketing Agency 2 2 Dec 06, 2018 11:02AM
Boston SEO Services Los Angeles Office 2 2 Dec 03, 2018 07:13AM
Must To Have a Responsive And Mobile Optimized Website 1 2 Jun 12, 2018 01:14PM
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please help me fix a few things for this book? 5 12 Jan 18, 2018 05:45PM
Web design Sri Lanka 1 1 Sep 15, 2017 01:50PM
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • The Smashing Book
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Just Enough Research
  • Sass for Web Designers
  • On Web Typography
“If you're already a front-end developer, well, pretend you're also wearing a pirate hat.” 9 likes