Start by marking “The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  50,964 Ratings  ·  538 Reviews
Three classic plays, including Wilde's most famous play which attacks Victorian manners and morals.
Published March 10th 1985 by Signet Classics (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays

Sketchbook
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: currently
"Prism, where is that baby?" demands the damndest dowager in theatre history in OWs farcical masterpiece. Feeling blue ? Reread this comedic milestone for the most preposterous merriment outside of Noel Coward's "Blithe Spirit," with a bow to WS Gilbert and Sheridan. Wilde found his playwrighting voice just before The Fall. He turned unreal drawing-room nonsense into Art. Muffins, cucumber sandwiches, a handbag left at Victoria Station and a grande dame who burbles about train schedules : "We ha ...more
Luís C.
"Vulgarity is what others do, not us."

It should probably be born English to succeed in transforming a somewhat boulevardist plot in a humor anthology that raises a smile on almost every page...
We can not recommend tasting in entertainment as a tasty toasted muffin half coated with orange marmalade, especially as the language of this piece presents no particular difficulty.

Would you like some more tea?

Lisbon Book-Fair 2015.
Richard
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Richard by: Trevor McCandless
I used to be an inveterate playgoer (one year, 1989 I think, I saw 52 plays).

The action and dialog on stage can be pretty quick. And if you're seeing a play that was written in another time for a different culture, that might be too quick to catch.

For example, the first line of Lady Windermere's Fan is from a butler stepping up to the lady of the house and asking "Is your ladyship at home this afternoon?" Our modern minds would probably surmise from such a question that the butler is asking whet
Casey
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, favorites, classics
So hilarious!

There's this:
“How you can sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless."

"Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

"I say it’s perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.”

And This:

“To be natural is such a very difficult pose to keep up.”

AND THIS:
Marialyce
Oscar Wilde is such joyous fun! He makes us look at ourselves in the most ironic and funny ways. Certainly he was a master of satire and in this play, he has presented the characters in what I have come to think of as the stiff British way. I loved that is poked a great deal of fun at the staid Victorian period. Mr Wilde himself was certainly everything else but staid and perhaps in thinking of him, we see a man born before his time.

The play on the words "Earnest" is fun and yet its does point t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Salome, the importance of being earnest and lady windermer,s fan, Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
عنوان: سالومه، اهمیت ارنست بودن و بادبزن خانم ویندرمر؛ اثر: اسکار وایلد؛ مترجم: محمد سعیدی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، 1336، در 302 ص، چاپ دیگر: شرکت انتشارات علمی و فرهنگی، 1378، موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 19 م
مجموعه ی سه نمایشنامه: 1 - سالومه در 62 صفحه؛ 2- اهمیت ارنست بودن در 123 صفحه؛ 3 - بادبزن خانم ویندرمر در 116 صفحه
Vishy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read a play in a while – I think the last play I read was ‘Homecoming’ by Harold Pinter a few years back. So, I decided to read a few plays this year. The first one I got hold of was ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ by Oscar Wilde. I have always admired Oscar Wilde’s wit and humour and so I was really looking forward to reading his most famous play. I finished reading it a couple of days back. Here is what I think.

What I think

‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ is about two friends John
Zan
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote my masters thesis on Wilde's society plays so this text was something like my Bible for a year. Wilde's genius lays not just in his wit but also in his undermining of the social structure he wants so desperately to belong to even as he knows he never will. I think his first two society plays are underrated as I think some of his best drawing room twaddle occurs in A Woman of No Importance. A full act of nearly no action is absolute genius. Many brilliant lunatics.

3.3.11
I just read Lady
David
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: big-white-square
Lady Windermere’s Fan: "Do you want answers?" "I think I'm entitled to it." "You want answers?" "I want the truth!" "You can’t handle the truth!" Switch and repeat.

Salome: "They'll love it in Pomona." Mishima directed it in Japan!

A Woman of No Importance: A bit preachy and hysterical.

An Ideal Husband: "Do you want answers?" "I think I'm entitled to it." "You want answers?" "I want the truth!" "You can’t handle the truth! Oh, wait. It seems that you can." Switch and repeat.

A Florentine Tragedy: I
Yossor Jamal
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am glad that sir Oscar lived up to his reputation
  • Five Plays: Ivanov / The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / The Three Sisters / The Cherry Orchard
  • Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Sophocles II: Ajax/Women of Trachis/Electra/Philoctetes (Complete Greek Tragedies 4)
  • Plays Pleasant
  • Ten Plays
  • Mourning Becomes Electra
  • The Lion in Winter
  • Seven Plays
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
“The very essence of romance is uncertainty.” 6102 likes
“Actions are the first tragedy in life, words are the second. Words are perhaps the worst. Words are merciless. . .” 200 likes