Start by marking “Yesterday's Weather: Stories” as Want to Read:
Yesterday's Weather: Stories

Yesterday's Weather: Stories

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  557 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Man Booker winner Anne Enright's story collection "Yesterday's Weather" is a series of moving glimpses into the lives of ordinary men and women struggling with the bonds of love, family, and community in an increasingly disconnected world. It exhibits the arresting images and subversive wit that mark Enright as one of the most thrillingly gifted writers of our time.
"Yester
Published June 1st 2009 by Grove Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Weather

Joel
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I usually don't like reading short stories, these I really enjoyed. Although whenever reading Anne Enright "enjoyed" seems a contradiction as she is an Irish writer with all that it means. The story of the wife enraged by her husband's infidelity captures the unspoken pacts made in marriages.
Mark
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have decided that there are two types of fiction writers: those who study writing and then write about life and those who study life and then write. I prefer works from the latter type of writers and Anne Enright fits very comfortably into this category. Barely a page goes by in this collection without genuine insight or poignancy into what it means to be human. Her writing in both these stories and The Gathering, her last novel, is prickly. Her narrators aren't always likeable, but they alway ...more
Barbara
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of Anne Enright's short stories, published originally between 1990 and 2008. They are presented in reverse chronological order, with the most recent ones first. This has an interesting effect. The stories in the first two-thirds of the book are truly outstanding, with surprising honesty and deceptive simplicity. The last stories are all self-consciousness. It's fascinating to see that growth in a writer over 18 years.
Petra
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories that were not uplifting or fun to read. The stories represented the worst of human character with no plot and I felt no connection to the character's.
Melanie
May 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of short stories to begin with. I kept hoping the stories would get better as I continued to read, but they didn't!
Cathy
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
found the stories disjointed and not so compelling.
Cynthia
I'd probably give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

The first half, or so, of the book's stories are written in Enright's mature, sophisticated, painfully sharp, sarcastic, rare style. The women in her stories are never simple-minded or sentimental. But, they are always filled with feeling. I appreciate, as in, I understand, the view she gives of the underside of intimacy. She writes about the things we don't admit, to ourselves, partners, friends, family. I think most people are more or less obliv
Steve Petherbridge
Anne Enright is long established as one of Ireland's most interesting and individualistic writers, accomplished in both novel and short-story formats. This collection, compiled for the American market, is humourous, witty, tender and realistic, depicting, the rapidly changing Ireland from the 1960's to the present day, especially the lives of women, who to all intents and purposes were, in severe cases downtrodden, but, usually controlled and educated by the State to lead lives of servitude. Thi ...more
J.I.
Some of the stories in this collection simply appealed to me on a shallow level: the funny quips and the beautiful prose. Most of them, however, made me stop reading and think; and after I had gotten lost in my thoughts, and had looped around back to the story, I realized that there was so much more.

I cannot do it justice in this little review blurb, but here is a brief impression: Enright is unsentimental, but very emotional, she is witty, clever and cruel, she is kind and giving. Her characte
Lawrence
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho hum! There was a sameness to the stories and the characters' voices as they respond to loss, infidelity, non-connection. That sameness quickly becomes irritating and predictable after only a few stories. I just didn't feel either enlightened or engaged in the book overall; rather I was just weary and relieved when it was all over. Yes, she can occassionally write a good phrase but the range of her concerns comes across as very limited, this despite the stories being drawn from more than a dec ...more
Brenda
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to broaden my horizons and enlighten myself by trying some modern, award-winning literature, but ended up very frustrated with this book. The stories are depressing, disjointed, and random glimpses into the lives of ordinary people. I couldn't relate to any of the characters. They were extremely unhappy people who either made irrational and often unhealthy choices in some effort to make some kind of change or obsessed about how terrible their situations were.
I only have one more story
Elizabethmarchal
Anne Enright really knocked me out of my socks with this book, which surprised me as I usually don't like short stories as much. I was amazed by how she developed such depth of character in short stories. Her dialogue hit me as very real, and I felt she wasn't afraid to allow her characters to be complex and have flaws. I was amazed by how she picked up the brilliance of Lolita, which I always thought relied upon the length of the story, and spun it into something understandable in a short story ...more
Stacey
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I should actually say that I'm giving four stars to the stories that I read. This collections combines all of Enright's stories into one volume, presented in reverse chronological order. I couldn't get into her early work, but the more recent ones are amazing. She does first person voices to rival George Saunders, and presents marriage and motherhood in a way that I've rarely seen. And I would kill for her sentences.
Ben
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really understand the negative feedback to this collection of very fine, understated, generally very sad, very short stories.

They aren't glimpses, not snippets, not really flash fiction. They are violent cross-sections of aged tensions and dormant fury, or love, or desire, or whatever. They are deft, sneaking, pinpoint, feinting and then kicking you in the liver.

'Nothing is incomprehensible when you understand that life is sad.'
Gwen
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
These short stories are written in a literary style, and for that, I enjoyed the writing style. But I had a hard time connecting to any of the stories, characters, or themes. I remember that I really liked how well written these stories were, but can't remember what any of them were about -- even a day after I'd finished one. So, were they really well written if I couldn't find a connection?
Alyssa
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only got through the first two-thirds or so. I liked most of the stories in the first part of the book and then became less interested and haven't picked it up in months. I may go back to it someday, if someone can convince me?
K.
Jul 22, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely despised The Gathering but since I never learn from my mistakes and have an unhealthy tendency towards masochism, let's give this a shot. Or maybe I'm just a generous and forgiving person who allow second chances...yeah, that's better.
Donna
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I usually have a strong tolerance for bad books. I usually feel that when I have selected a book, even if it is badly written, I will make my way through it to the end. In the hundreds of books that I have read (only some of them are listed on goodreads), I have put down possibly 3 books unfinished.

This is a record. I lasted until page 31. And I had to force myself to read that far.

This lady has the filthiest tongue that I have ever been exposed to. Even in thrillers where the behavior can get p
Colleen
Yesterday's Weather: Storiesis Anne Enright's collection of short stories which were written over the course of 19 years. Enright, winner of the 2007 Man Book Prize for The Gathering (Man Booker Prize), is an Irish author and she writes melancholic stories very typical of many Irish writers. This collection includes 29 stories which are set in modern Ireland and tell mostly mundane tales of daily life. Enright skillfully creates stories with impact which is even more impressive considering the b ...more
Nicolemauerman
I decided to read this book of short stories after it made the top 100 New York Times books of the year list. While I didn’t find these stories horrible, I didn’t think they were great and often felt they were pretty unmemorable (as I write this, only a few come to memory). Most of the stories are about working class women living in Ireland. The author started with her newest stories first working her way towards the start of her career. I enjoyed the first stories and thought the second were bo ...more
Bruce Reiter
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She is becoming my favorite Irish author. This is a collection of short stories from 1990 to 2010. The short stories are short and present the benefits and negatives of living from a variety of perspectives and issues. I prefer her novels (only read one so far) because I need the familiarity of the characters and previous plot to focus on the message of the next section. In this collection of short stories, the author goes one better. She starts with the most recent story and travels backwards i ...more
Jane Anne
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great metaphor of how life moves only forward. U might want to look up yesterday's weather, but this character cdn't find it for time she was out of town. SPOILER ALERT. Especially enjoyed tale of lady w recent widower next (connected) house over. Man one of those who alws felt need to make snide, inappropriate comments to the woman (boy, do I identify w this! I've got three of these myself! No wait -- four -- forgot the 'Christian' woman one street over). Anyway, sweet, satisfying story. Turns ...more
Holly
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilement of short stories. Normally I love short stories, but I found these stories to be a) a bit disturbing b) a little vulgar and c) boring. Don't ask me how an author is able to write boring stories despite them being vulgar and disturbing, but she did a good job.
The one thing I did enjoy was the Irish culture and lingo as the author is from Ireland and most of her stories took place here.
Susan
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these were amazing and some were incredible. Anne Enright says in the foreword that she arranged the stories so the most recent came first. I did find I liked them slightly less as I went through which was a bit like reading a book that doesn't quite deliver. Some of the most recent ones were so good I had to wait a day to start the next one. And it was interesting to see how she's developed as a writer, in a backwards kind of way.
Jules
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of short stories when I began it, but I found that I liked the stories less and less as the book progressed. Afterward, I read that the stories were in reverse chronological order - oldest stories last - which probably explains their decreasing appeal: the author's writing improved tremendously over time. The first few stories in the book are wonderful. Those at the end - not so much.
Gordon
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, fiction
A collection of 30 portraits (short stories 10-12 pages in length), ostensibly about love, but perhaps really about how evil men are. By the third story with it's veiled threats of violence against women conjured by the sight of one with a long-since-healed throat slice, I suppose I knew what I was in for. Stories about forgiving distant and shallow men for their affairs, or else stories about getting one's (c)literal groove back through affairs. Lovely...
Beth
Jul 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yesterday's Weather is a collection of short stories that left me unfulfilled and wondering why I spent my time reading them. None of the stories left me with any sort of satisfaction for reading them, curious what else there might be to the story or offering any sort of life lesson. Each was merely a collection of words, and not necessarily in complete thoughts or sentences. Save your time and move on to another book on your list.
Keri
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the first 2/3 of this book of short stories. The author has an amazing ability to fully develop characters in the space of a few pages. The stories were arranged in reverse-chronological order, with the most recently written stories first. As the book wore on, I could feel the decline of the quality of writing. That said, again, a nice variety of storyline and interesting, Irish, sometimes tragic characters.
Emi Bevacqua
This collection of short stories made me feel stupid, it was frustrating because the author is a joy to read... but she crams so much in, too much to keep track of and it made me feel crowded and overwhelmed and then all of a sudden the story ends and I still didn't get what it's about or what's happening to who. And each of the 31 stories collected made me feel stupid that same way, in its own unique way.

Maybe I'll get her novels; The Gathering won a Booker Prize.
Kristine
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm still on my kick of reading books from or about Ireland and England after my vacation there last summer. This is a collection of short stories by an Irish author. It was fun to read about places I had visited like St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street. I found some of the stories delightful about quirky characters in interesting situations. However, some of the stories weren't very good, and I didn't finish reading them.
Mansfield Public ...: The"Yesterday's Weather" review by Sharon Wapen 1 2 Jul 28, 2014 01:14PM
  • Dictation: A Quartet
  • The Temporary Gentleman
  • Fanon
  • Blood-Dark Track: A Family History
  • A Better Angel
  • The Crock of Gold (Revised Edition)
  • One by One in the Darkness
  • Sleeping it Off in Rapid City
  • Waking Giant: America in the Age of Jackson
  • Story-Wallah: Short Fiction from South Asian Writers
  • T.S. Eliot Reads: The Wasteland, Four Quartets and Other Poems
  • Dangerous Laughter
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster
Anne Enright was born in Dublin, where she now lives and works. She has published three volumes of stories, one book of nonfiction, and five novels. In 2015, she was named the inaugural Laureate for Irish Fiction. Her novel The Gathering won the Man Booker Prize, and her last novel, The Forgotten Waltz, won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction.
More about Anne Enright...

“She tried to think of a number she could ring, or a site online, but there was nowhere she could find out what she needed to know. It was all about tomorrow: warm fronts, cold snaps, showers expected. No one ever stopped to describe yesterday's weather.” 0 likes
“We are very happy. Or, no. We are not happy, exactly. But we love each other very much, and this charges our lives with shape and light.” 0 likes