Start by marking “Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me” as Want to Read:
Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me

Exploiting My Baby: Because It's Exploiting Me

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  436 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Teresa Strasser made her baby a spleen and some eyebrows.
He got her a book deal.
Everyone loves babies-and pregnant women-so TV and radio personality Teresa Strasser decided to use this obsession to her advantage. She came up with a way to provide for her newfound family and help other mommies- to-be with this down- and-dirty memoir about first-time pregnancy.
An award
Published January 1st 2011 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about Exploiting My Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploiting My Baby

David
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I'm not this book's target market, being that I'm neither female nor pregnant. But my wife is pregnant, so books about pregnancy have been a topic in our household. I've found a couple of good books for expecting dads, but my wife complained that all the books for women are either technical books or "Hey, girlfriend, you're a goddess because you're pregnant" books. She wanted to read the Dad books just so she could have something more realistic and sensible, but also fun to read.

Then I re
Gail
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know who Teresa Strasser was before ordering her book (it popped up with some other baby-related books I was ordering on Amazon and so I thought, "Why not?) I was hoping for some LOL moments from this one. Those never really happened for me.

But I did have to chuckle over just how many essays I could certainly relate with being pregnant myself (two in particular: 1) her thoughts about the women who tell you to "Go to the movies/date/vacation now because when the baby comes, you nev
Wanda
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I barely made it through this one. Though rarely, some of the things she wrote about were funny, mostly she just complained too much. She also felt sorry for herself way too much. I am currently pregnant with my second child and neither pregnancies have warranted the amount of boohooing and complaining that she has done in this book. She chose to get pregnant. She needs to suck it up and deal with it, her self proclaimed problems could be much much worse. She has a lot of mommy issues as well. I ...more
Whitney
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved loved LOVED this book. I truly wish I could be friends with Teresa Strasser... She's hilarious and I'm pretty sure she would like me too. :)
Michelle
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book was the funniest pregnancy book I read-and I read a few. Although Teresa Strasser's willingness to be vulnerable and honest about her experience with pregnancy might not be for everyone-I loved her dry sense of humor and courageous willingness to keep it real. This book is way more intelligent and well-written then the other pregnancy books I read, including Jenny McCartney's and up there with the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. Would highly recommend it for a sensitive, think ...more
Ciara
this is one of the better pregnancy memoirs i have read, for sure. & i have read quite a few, because they have been my favorite thing to read for the last few years as i come to terms with my baby rabies. strasser won me over right off the bat with an intelligent, darkly humorous writing style, & her very first chapter was about how she convinced herself (for no real reason other than being 38 years old) that she would be incapable of conceiving. she got pregnant pretty quickly anyway-- ...more
Priscilla Rouse
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teresa Strasser is an inspiration to me. Her self-deprecating humor and obvious intelligence will draw in any reader. I have no children and I adored this book. My Mother did as well at about age 73 when she borrowed it from me and said she couldn't put it down. Teresa makes you feel as if a friend is writing you a very detailed letter about her adventures in everything from getting pregnant to the birth itself, the jewish rites of passage after birth and everything in between. She has been quit ...more
Michaela Johnson
Post Read Update: She's a little "Jenny McCarthy" style for my own personal tastes, but the book was funny, so I have to give her that. I enjoyed hearing her idea of pregnancy problems and appreciated her honesty when it came to a lot of different topics that seemed a tad dramatic.

I'm writing a very similar book...I picked this up because I intrigued by the title, and read the intro - she touches on exactly what I've found -- there's not a lot of pregnancy books in between the highly technical (
Adam
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Teresa Strasser ever since she joined the Adam Carolla radio show way back when and I recognized her from "While You Were Out." I've enjoyed her humor for a long time, and it was fun to read about her experiences with her first pregnancy.

Being a man, there was a lot in this book to which I could not relate first-hand, but could relate to second-hand with what I remember of my wife's first pregnancy. It made me really grateful that my wife is so mellow about things. I can't im
Allison
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non
I'm not a mother, not pregnant, and do not particularly plan to have children. I didn't listen to the Adam Carolla Show while Teresa was his newsgirl. Still, I felt like she had to be funny to have been Carolla's sidekick, so I picked up this book when I saw it. Despite not identifying with Teresa's need to have a child, I was drawn into this book. It was funny and self-deprecating and honest. She talks about the issues she had with her own mother, and how much she worried about turning out like ...more
Lenore Webb
Exploiting My Baby: woman's health

Teresa Strasser shares on her blog and in this book an uninhibited and edgy look into the life of a new mother. With Strasser’s honesty about her flaws and fears along with a candid look at the highs (having doors opened and seats offered) and lows (leaking breasts and uncontrollable gas) of pregnancy, EXPLOITING MY BABY takes on many of the things that annoy real moms.

This is the book I am sending on to my Turtle's momma. With this being her first pregnancy, I
Bobbie Greene
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because I identified with Strasser's sense of humor and her constant anxiety and need for information. (Yes! I'm not alone in these feelings!) Her writing comes across with such an openness, that it really does feel like you are listening to a close friend talk about her pregnancy. I also appreciated the parts of certain chapters when she warns things like: If you've never had a c-section, you might want to skip this part. Trust her! Among the jokes are real tips for a ...more
Katie Christian
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I actually read a couple somewhat negative reviews about this book and I truly do not understand them. This is a GREAT book! Anyone who liked Jenny McCarthy's book will be blown away by Teresa Strasser. She's witty and honest and I relate to her because we share similar beliefs and perspectives on life. This book also opened me up to a whole new genre of books. I knew all about the text-book style baby books that all basically just tell you to eat well. Then there was Jenny McCarthy's book that ...more
This was a very fun read - Not at all the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" type book I was afraid of when I saw the cover. The author is very funny and self-deprecating. She comes across as the type of girl you'd want to go have a beer with, and she manages to write about the more sentimental aspects of her pregnancy without getting all "gag me" mushy.

I really hope to read more by Teresa Strasser and hope she doesn't get trapped in the "Mommy Books" genre. (Her strange realtionship with he
Louise
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Thersa Strasser's humor, I like the writing style but I find the subject tedious, I am 80% through so I will probably power through to the inevitable conclusion. This is her first book so I look forward to maybe reading something less "breedery" by her in the future. If she follows up with a toddler memoir I'll pass but I feel she's too talented to get stuck in a rut with Mommy books.
Misha
Bathroom reading. My aunt gave me this book. Strasser is funny, neurotic and honest about her insecurities, which made me like this more than I thought I would (the title alone kinda turned me off). She also goes into how hard it was to learn, initially, that she was having a boy--and I love my boys hard-core, but I struggled with this, too, before I held them. There is a line I couldn't find again that made me laugh--something like: "My boy will like books and hate binge drinking." Yes.
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I know she is trying to be funny by writing this book but I found all the whining very annoying. The only thing about her pregnancy I could relate with was her c-section and time in the hospital. The rest of it I couldn't relate to. I would have loved to hear more about how she handled it after the baby was born.
Kim Reed
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of pregnancy memoirs, and this one really touched me. Strasser actually has some new things to say in an overstuffed genre, and it was exceedingly well-written. The only flaw was how she felt the need to undermine her own points with self-deprecation at every turn. Would love to read a follow-up on her first year of motherhood.
Dawn
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the pregnancy book genre it deserves 4-5 stars but compared to all books it's only a 3. It's a light read, entertaining. Her writing is really good--especially compared to most pregnancy memoirs. There were some parts I skimmed but overall I would recommend it for someone in the mood for a prego memoir.
Paul
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I good memoir of pregnancy and childbirth from someone who is both very funny and very neurotic. The book is almost all taken from T's blog of the same name, for which I deducted a star. It's nice having the book, but nearly all of it is online as well.
Still, it's not too expensive so people (especially Adam Carolla fans) should support T and her amusing/paranoid thoughts.
JR Foster
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is a pedicure for the mind...So I hope all who read it, sat back, relaxed & enjoyed it! It was hilarious, REAL w/pinch of educational! For soon to be Moms she really has experiences, most can relate too. It great to read a light hearted reality book on pregnancy, especially since we spend so much time reading our important books and planning for baby.
Emily Rhoads
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it more than Belly Laughs because it wasn't so snarky and judgmental. She was well-rounded. At the end of the story, she was more than just a woman bitching about gaining weight and being constipated. It was hilariously fun to watch her grow into someone who fully understood the meaning of motherhood.
LGMF
I'm about half way through this book. It's hilarious at times, but also incredibly ANNOYING at others. I can't decide if I should keep reading it, or burn it (which isn't possible since it belongs to the library). I'll probably plow through it just so I can place it on my "read" shelf.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most exciting book I've read but not to bad. The way the reviews were you'd think a person would be laughing all the way through this book but that wasn't the case. If you want some light reading about one woman's pregnancy experience then this is a fairly good bet.
Matthew
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot of fun. The author is clearly a skilled writer. I was genuinely amused throughout. I didn't know who Teresa Strasser was before reading this book but was drawn in by the title. I would recommend it primarily to pregnant women who don't mind some coarse language.
Brianna
May 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought there would be a lot of funny bits and pieces, while possibly learning something useful along the way. Nope. Mommy issues, and mostly complaining, she basically had nothing positive to say until the baby was born.
Elizabeth
A realistic look at pregnancy. No doctor-speak. Just a humorous real-life perspective on the overwhelming feelings and concerns of having a baby.

There is a fair amount of swearing and sarcasm, so this book is not for everyone.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
A must read for pregnant women everywhere! An easy pregnancy full of unicorns and rainbows? Ha! Teresa talks about the dirty side of pregnancy from morning sickness to hemorrhoids laughing all the way.
Shannon Spollen
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure women who are pregnant or have been pregnant before really enjoy this book. Not fitting into either one of those categories, I still found it highly entertaining because Teresa is smart and has a great, self-depricating sense of humor.
Andrienne
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book about pregnancy. There is probably one chapter that I didn't like, but everything else was a joy to read. Her stories are really funny. There are plenty of books about pregnancy, but Teresa is a really good writer. Highly enjoyable.
  • B-Sides and Broken Hearts
  • Brooklyn Love
  • Obsessive Consumption: What Did You Buy Today?
  • Afterbirth: Stories You Won't Read in a Parenting Magazine
  • Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family
  • Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living
  • This Lovely Life
  • Half Baked: The Story of My Nerves, My Newborn, and How We Both Learned to Breathe
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Alternadad
  • Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • The Baby Dilemma (Safe Harbor Medical, #8)
  • Catching Babies: A Midwife's Tale
  • A Baby Before Dawn (Lights Out, #2)
  • The Madame Paul Affair
  • If It Was Easy, They'd Call the Whole Damn Thing a Honeymoon: Living with and Loving the TV-Addicted, Sex-Obsessed, Not-So-Handy Man You Married
  • Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?: Confessions of a Gay Dad
Teresa Strasser is an American writer and television personality known for hosting the first season of the home makeover show While You Were Out on TLC. She also co-hosted The Adam Carolla Show.
More about Teresa Strasser

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis