Start by marking “A Wind in the Door” as Want to Read:
A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  94,302 Ratings  ·  2,181 Reviews
Every time a star goes out, another Echthros has won a battle.

Just before Meg Murry’s little brother, Charles Wallace, falls deathly ill, he sees dragons in the vegetable garden. The dragons turn out to be Proginoskes, a cherubim composed of wings and eyes, wind and flame. It is up to Meg and Proginoskes, along with Meg’s friend Calvin, to save Charles Wallace’s life. To
Audio, 0 pages
Published May 8th 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Wind in the Door, please sign up.

C. Unless a novel says it portrays another period, release year is present day. "A Wrinkle In Time" came out in 1962, 3 years after the moon landing.…moreUnless a novel says it portrays another period, release year is present day. "A Wrinkle In Time" came out in 1962, 3 years after the moon landing. This sequel was published 11 years hence and Madeleine rejoins the Murrys in a year, thus we would picture 1963. First release year would be an easy answer for the setting, if not for asking Mrs. Murry if she remembered details about the moon landing. The children themselves, especially this family, would well remember a current planetary event!

It's a shame we can't ask Madeleine but perhaps she left an interview with someone who did. It seems she wanted to move the present day to her series' reprisal, 1973. That makes Meg a baby during the moon landing and her Mom a married woman of at least 20. Louise (the doctor) posed the question of memory oddly for a 14 year-old event but picturing the Murrys in 1973 works.

I don't remember if "A Wrinkle In Time" introduces their town's location. Mr. Murry drove from the Washington, D.C. environs briskly enough for everyone to merely wonder why Meg and Calvin were home late from school. Charles Wallace was driven home with Louise (the larger) at the beginning of school, say 9:30AM, for having brought a snake to pets day. Let's say he fell ill at about noon and his Dad was phoned by 2:00PM. Meg delaying after school might amount to 7:00PM. They must be on the northern US east coast. Charles Wallace does own a S'ouwester raincoat, which seems to be Atlantic Canadian and US apparel. I am not a mathematician but LOVE reading comprehension puzzles like this!(less)

Lennox
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tween-years
Madeleine L'Engle is probably one of the reasons why I think magic and faith and science are ultimately compatible.
Morgan
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Morgan by: Jenn Allen
Now this is what I'm talking about! If 'A Wrinkle in Time' is hot cocoa, then this book was Ghiredelli's Peppermint Hot Cocoa with marshmallows and $100. Seriously.

Trusting the advice of those I loved, I decided to perserver and finish 'The Time Quartet'. So it was onto AWITD and it rooked. Wow, that was me spelling rocked. I thought it was entertaining so I left it for your enjoyment. Anyway, I digress...

This book was great. It joins the same crew; Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin, and throws i
stephanie
there are some things, i think, that you read that will always stick with you. for me, one of those things is the scene in this book with progo, and the discussion he has with meg about the importance of naming. how once you are named, you are - no matter what.

i read this later, again, in college, and i read it as a history student, and through that lens, it says fascinating things about the relationship of history and memory, and what history is, and how we leave legacies. like many of l'engle
Ali M.
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is too often asked to be another Wrinkle in Time, when in fact its sparse cast of characters and relatively uneventful narrative seem like L'Engle's deliberate effort to make it the opposite.

Wrinkle is all about recognizing the universal "song" of the cosmos, and stepping into it. A Wind the Door, however, is about recognizing the cosmos already inside the entity of the human being, and how our choices and sense of identity have an immeasurable effect on the song itself.

L
BAM The Bibliomaniac
"Why do people always mistrust people who are different?"

I think I may have enjoyed this more than Wrinkle. More science-based
And of course, a dragon can never go wrong with a dragon tale
Also it didn't have that strange, abrupt dad ending like Wrinkle.
Andy
Is it weird that I really loved A Wrinkle in Time and I fiercely disliked its sequel? I don't remember it being this bad when I read it as a kid, but bad it is. There are hints of the delightful whimsy of the first book, particularly in the Mr. Jenkins face-off and the "classroom" meeting with Sporos. But there are many more scenes of purported seriousness which aren't handled well at all. The climactic scenes, which I think were supposed to be moving and exciting, were unbearably ham-fisted and ...more
Christina
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Talk about strange... This book has a strange resemblance to an episode of the Magic School Bus where they travel inside one of the students... Only that was more believable. I think where L'Engle loses me is that she feels like she needs to explain everything - why not just leave it at - Charles is sick and we are going inside of him to fix what's wrong - see, I just said the same thing she did only she took half the book to say it. Sometimes its better just to leave it to our imagination. If y ...more
C.B. Cook
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, classics, a-bit-odd
Well... if there's one thing I can say about Madeline L'Engle's books is that they're... not normal. Definitely and completely weird. But still really cool.

At some points, I thought it was way too weird... but I couldn't put it down!!! PROGO!!!!!!!!! *cries* Whyyyy!!!! And also, Louise the Larger is so cool. Go snakes! (Can't believe I just said that.)

AND I CANNOT FIND MY COPY OF THE FIRST BOOK. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M LOSING MY MIND.

(A couple of hours later: Found it. Duh, I put it in my se
Mel
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, read-in-2016
I finished this book with 30 seconds to spare before the end of tbr takedown.

3.5 stars.

I really liked this one more than book 1. I think this one was just more exciting and I cared about the characters a bit more.
My only issue honestly is that this can't be a children's book. I BARELY understood what I read, so how can a child understand?

Still unsure about continuing on the series. But it was better.
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
A wind in the door starts out much darker than the first book in the installment - A wrinkle in time. While this one centers on the idea of good prevailing same as the first book did, I suppose it takes into account that the reader has grown a little since the release of the first book, and therefore comes across much darker than A wrinkle in time did (it's something we have observed with the story of Harry Potter as well).

The thing I love best about the books of this series is how they treat ch
kristy duncan
Mar 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I disliked this book so much it almost made me unlike a wrinkle in time.

1-no segue
the first wasnt mentioned at all, not that they had already had an adventure, how she met calvin nothing!!

2-monotonous
the author really wanted her point to get across and though this book is for children I dont think it was necessary to restate the same concepts 8 and 10 times at least!!

3-plot
simply weak. where the first book was imaginative and interesting the first one limited and contrived. it seemed like sh
Spider the Doof Warrior
I like this second best in this series, but the problem is why does Charles Wallace have to adapt to his school rather than the asshole who picked on him having to STOP PICKING ON A TINY 6 YEAR OLD BOY BECAUSE HE'S SMART? What is wrong with society that being smart is bad, but bullying is considered normal and something you just have to deal with.

Bull! It shouldn't just be something to deal with. We should let people know that bullying is terrible and they need to stop doing it.

Other than that,
Moonlight Reader
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-women
L'Engle project - February book.

Meg & Calvin confront the opposite of something, which is nothing, with the help of Charles Wallace's imagined dragon, which is actually a cherubim, and the elementary school principal. Like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole, space and time, large and small, have little meaning when cosmic evil can act at a cellular level.

This book is weird as hell, extraordinarily original, and deeply touching.

Read on, bright and dangerous object.
Andrea Fontana
Aug 07, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yawn. This book gave me anxiety attacks by imprisioning me in the same scene for 30+ chapters. Goes absolutely nowhere. I can't believe it's even related to A Wrinkle in Time. No wonder I'd never read it in school.
Ivonne Rovira
I loved A Wrinkle in Time both when I read it as a third-grader and when I re-read it in my 40s. Somehow I never got around to reading the sequel The Wind in the Door until now. Who knew that I hadn’t missed much?

Madeleine L’Engle created Meg Murry long before anyone ever heard of The X-Files’ Dana Scully, of course, but they’re two peas in a pod. Meg traveled all over the cosmos with her whiz-kid little brother Charles Wallace Murry, thanks to magical beings and the fifth dimension, for God’s s
Arielle Walker
Re-reading A Wrinkle in Time felt like opening a gift on to find the exact thing you always wanted - but in the wrong colour. Almost perfect but then weirdly, slightly, unsettlingly off. The audiobook was better, as the narrator was fantastic, but there was no shaking the realisation that the story had become rather... preachy.

Still, it had wonderful, lovable, quirky characters, gorgeously surreal settings, and a pure grey chill at its core that made the stakes feel constantly high.

Hoping for mo
Andrew Leon
I never read this one when I was a kid, so I was coming at it completely fresh. And, at first, I thought it was making a difference in my reception of the book, because, at first, I was really enjoying it. The first third of the book was really good. I was impressed and everything.

Yes, there will be spoilers.

This one is two years after Wrinkle; Charles Wallace is in school and is having difficulties fitting in. He also thinks he's found a dragon in his brothers' garden. The first part of the boo
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I had very low expectations because A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books and I couldn't imagine how the next in the series could possible live up to the first, but this was great! Thought-provoking with so many profound, highlightable lines. I know now that this will be one of my favorite book series!
Sarah Augustinsky
I was slightly disspointed upon reading A Wind in the Door. I adore and loved A Wrinkle in Time when I read it, and I was expecting something as wonderful and beautiful as that.
Although this book is good, and is thoughtful, it lacked more of the relationships that I loved in the first book in the Time Series. I love Calvin and Meg together, and though there were some cute thoughts and things, not very many. There was also hardly any Charles Wallace, which left me a sense of a missing piece after
Christine Smith
I tried really, really hard to like this book but I just...didn't? First of all, even though it takes place just a year after A Wrinkle in Time, it didn't acknowledge the first book at all. In fact, it contradicted it! It was like the same characters but an utterly separate story. That was just bizarre. Secondly, there was no plot... The whole thing was just complicated, philosophical bits of dialogue after the next. The first half wasn't so bad, I rather enjoyed it. But literally the ENTIRE sec ...more
Vera
Childish (but it is a children's novel), and full of plot holes, this book spends half the pages on circular dialogues that mean nothing other than WE DON'T KNOW. Dear Author, Philosophical questions like Is size relative and Is time relative and Can we throw out every law of physics and save the universe, by saving one little kid whose life, for some unexplained reason, will decide the fate of the rest of the universe, those questions should not be in a children's book. Maybe try reading C.S.Le ...more
Brian
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in two days. I couldn't stop reading. The read brought me back to such childlike wonder and delight. I remember why I used to live by the philosophy, "Why read a book if it's realistic. If I want realistic I'll stay in this boring world." I found the book a thrill ride and full of excitement and felt childlike awe throughout.

I'll be reading it again, and plan to read the other three in the series, as well as her other books. I'm debating where to raise Madeleine L'Engle on my favorit
Amber
I'm so glad I'm rereading this series. So good.

Also, when I get my little furry friend in the (hopefully near) future, I will be naming them Proginoskes.
Kathryn
There’s a lot in Madeleine L’Engle’s Wrinkle in Time series that I don’t understand - partly because some of it isn’t real(!) but partly because the bits she has based on real physics are physics, so therefore almost incomprehensible to me from the get-go! Having said that, I still enjoy her books. I enjoy the interactions between Meg and Chales Wallace, and also Meg and Calvin and will be interested to see how their relationships develop as the series continues.

I listened to this as an audioboo
Kat  Hooper
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. Life's too short to read bad books!

When I was a kid, Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time blew my mind. I’m sure that’s why I remember it as one of my favorite childhood books. Reading it gave me the first inkling of the immenseness of the universe and that the concepts of space and time were much more complicated than I had realized. I think it was also the book that started my life-long love of science fiction. B
Badseedgirl
This second book in the Time Quintet is much shorter and much less "sciencey." I was impressed that Ms. L'Engle dealt with bullying. I mean the book was written in 1 973. Bullying has only really become a hot button topic in the last couple years.

The answer to bullying, "love your bully, and learn to deal with it." And this is where this book fails to live up to the first book. Instead of a story based on science, this book relies too much on the quasi-religious belief in the interconnectedness
Victoria
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastically powerful novel every bit as great as "A Wrinkle in Time," although in a slightly different way.

Meg and Charles Wallace are rejoicing at having their family whole again. Their father is back, although still working for the government, and life just seems better. The only shadow on the family is the bullying that plagues Charles Wallace at school, as the stiff principal of the elementary believes in "toughening" the kids up.

But then things begin to turn for the strange again. Cha
Ab
The second in L'Engle's trilogy of A Wrinkle In Time. Upon re-reading this book I find it pretty amazing that traveling through space and time can put the crew onto another planet in another galaxy; can put them onto a planet that is completely hypothetical and based on nice visual thoughts and compounded into another space; can put them INSIDE of Charles Wallace's mitochondrion, Yadah (yeah, it's named), where the farondolae (little ultra-microscopic organisms inside the mitochondria) are getti ...more
Bill
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A significant book for me growing up, and still a powerful read now that I'm a grown-up. L'Engle does an amazing job, here and in the rest of this series, describing how human actions have significance beyond our comprehension. Even in a world of cosmic forces, celestial beings, and alternate realities, everything that humans do truly matters. Even something as simple as choosing to dislike another person (as Meg does with her brother's principal, Mr. Jenkins) can have far-reaching consequences ...more
I hadn't read this since middle school and didn't remember the plot particulars but they all came back to me. Gravely ill Charles Wallace, something wrong with his farandolae (which his brilliant mom, incidentally, is currently isolating and existence-proving.) There are cherubim, teachers, friends and family fighting for his life INSIDE his body! They had to get sub-microscopic for this, but size is relative. No big whoop.

My thoughts while rereading (SPOILERS!!):

Awww...kything! I remember you.
Literature Spelun...: A wind in the Door 1 3 Mar 06, 2017 09:07PM
Around the Year i...: A Wind in the Door, by Madeleine L'Engle 3 24 Oct 09, 2016 01:45PM
101 Books to Read...: Time Quintet 02 - A Wind in the Door 3 13 Sep 20, 2014 03:18PM
I just ordered this book, is it good???? 32 123 Jan 04, 2014 07:00AM
Book Bin Science ...: A Wind in the Door 3 16 Jul 16, 2012 09:42PM
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • The Grey King (The Dark Is Rising, #4)
  • Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • The Girl with the Silver Eyes
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • On Fortune's Wheel (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more
More about Madeleine L'Engle...

Time Quintet (5 books)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3)
  • Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4)
  • An Acceptable Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #5)

“Don't try to comprehend with your mind. Your minds are very limited. Use your intuition.” 403 likes
“Progo,' Meg asked. 'You memorized the names of all the stars - how many are there?'

How many? Great heavens, earthling. I haven't the faintest idea.'

But you said your last assignment was to memorize the names of all of them.'

I did. All the stars in all the galaxies. And that's a great many.'

But how many?'

What difference does it make? I know their names. I don't know how many there are. It's their names that matter.”
60 likes