Start by marking “The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)

The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
OH MY GRASS!

When Sal the sheep is bonked on the head by an unidentified falling object, it can only mean one thing: Lord Aries, the Sheep of all Sheepdom is in trouble, and the sheep posse must save him.

Little do the sheep know that the mysterious object is actually a cell phone dropped by a couple of baaaaad bank robbers who will do anything to get it back. And a couple o
Published February 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Quest of the Warrior Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quest of the Warrior Sheep

Laura (Madsen) McLain
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oxo, Links, Jaycey, Sal and Wills are rare-breed sheep living on an idyllic English farm. One day an object falls from the sky, hitting Sal’s head. Wills, an orphan lamb raised in the farmhouse kitchen, recognizes the object as a cell phone. Sal, however, has studied sheep prophecy and believes that the object is the mythical Baaton, tool of the great Lord Aries. The prophecy states:

For without the Baaton’s magic rays,
The Ram of Rams will die in days.
Only they can save his life,
And the world fro
Reader
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always kind of wondered why folks have never written parodies of the quest genre. This is probably the closest thing I've found so far. When a sheep named Sal is bonked on the head by a falling cell phone, he and his companions determine that it must be a sign. According to an ancient prophecy, their great leader will someday need their help, and the only way to aid him is to return the cell phone to him at his mountain. In doing so, however, the sheep manage to run into a bank scam, alien ...more
Josh Newhouse
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Warrior sheep meet the flawed dogs... I mean that would be awesome... Id write that crossover... Much like breathed's book this is a firmly tongueincheek talking bleating animal story... Too bad author is british... Fun read
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how love is great and worth to die for
Kerstin
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-2011
Kurzbeschreibung:
Mit aufgeregtem Blöken trotten sie los, um ihrem Schafsgott zu Hilfe zu eilen. Was sie jedoch nicht ahnen: Das Glitzerding ist ein Handy, das zwei Gauner unbedingt zurückhaben möchten...Eine rasante Jagd beginnt!

Zu den Autoren:
Als Christopher Russells erstes Hörsp
Leenchen
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Beschreibung von Amazon

Alles ist still auf der Eppingham-Farm. Die fünf Schafe grasen friedlich und käuen wieder. Bis plötzlich ein geheimnisvoller silberner Gegenstand auf ihre Köpfe plumpst. Ganz klar: Das ist ein Zeichen vom Großen Widder! Mit aufgeregtem Blöken trotten sie los, um ihrem Schafsgott zu Hilfe zu eilen. Was sie jedoch nicht ahnen: Das Glitzerding ist ein Handy, das zwei Gauner unbedingt zurückhaben möchten ...
Eine rasante Jagd beginnt! Ein Muss für alle Schaf-Fans ab 10 Jahren
Rumput Bergoyang
Saya tidak seperti sedang membaca novel, melainkan seperti sedang menonton film animasi besutan Pixar atau lainnya. Cerita ini juga sedikit mengingatkan pada film jadul yang sampai sekarang sering diputar di TV; God Must Be Crazy. Kenapa begitu?

Karenaaaaaaaaa….

Diceritakan di sebuah pertanian bernama Eppingham yang damai, ada lima ekor domba langka yang sedang merumput. Tidak juga sih, ada yang sedang menyeruduk, ada yang sedang melamun, ada yang sedang mengecat kuku, dan ada yang sedang bernyany
Cindy Hudson
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sal knows all the prophecies from her favorite poem, “Songs of the Fleece,” but she doesn’t know much about modern technology. That’s how she misinterprets a cell phone falling on her head from a hot-air balloon as a struggle between the great Lord Aries and his nemesis, Lambad the Bad.

Under Sal’s direction, the sheep leave their farm near London on a quest to return the Baaton (cell phone) to the great ram with the golden horns where he lives in the north. That’s when the fun really begins.

The
Lynn
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read that I think many youngsters would enjoy.

The heroes are a small flock of heirloom sheep which belong to a little old lady in Great Britain. She and her grandson care for them and they seem to have some affection for their people.

All of a sudden a cell phone falls into their midst from a hot air balloon and this starts a great adventure, since they have no idea what it is and what is the significance of the object. They think it is an object that needs to return to the great g
Kristen
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I've heard of the picture book Russell the Sheep and instantly picked up on the connection between the chapter book and the picture book as soon as I saw this one. It looked like a fun middle grade read, so I picked it up.

While Reading:
This book will have you laughing and laughing hard. The sheep have such personality and they are diligent on their quest to find Lord Aries and help save this almost god-like figure from trouble. Paralleling the sheep side of the story is a story
Joe
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trimester-2
215 pages

One day five sheep named Sal, Lincoln, Jacey, Willis and Oxo are eating grass in their field when Sal is bonked in the head by a strange object fell out of the sky. The sheep don't know that it is actually a cellphone that some bank robbers dropped on accident from a hot air balloon. The sheep think its the the "Baton of Lord Aries". This is the god the believe in and think its a sign that have to protect the baton and return it to Lord Aries. Although the criminals will not stop at not
Chris
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I think I set myself up on this one by judging the book by a glance at its cover. I thought it looked amusing and expected some high jinks centered on some very silly and amusing sheep. Instead the book tells the story of some high jinks of some very silly and somewhat amusing people centered around some sheep--it was a different kind of comedy than I expected, so my inaccurate, assumed expectations left me feeling disappointed. The sheep are fun and slightly silly, but the people are much silli ...more
Markus
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little book about sheep who misunderstood a cellphone and went on a journey to the Sheep of Sheep. It was more silly than funny. It did make me smile sometimes but isn't a series I would continue.

One character I found kind of annoying was the sheep who rapped on the journey. Remember the stock "cool rapper" character from 90's cartoons? It just felt really retread and retro in a bad sort of way. Maybe it would have delivered more as an animation. I pictured, mainly because of the
Heather
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very funny. I found myself cracking up a number of times, and I loved how most people seemed to think that seeing sheep on the subway, a plane, or the streets of London was somehow totally normal. The sheep are not terribly bright (did we expect them to be?), but most of their human counterparts are not very bright either. Unwitting robber Luke and the alien/UFO-crazed Tony are my favorites of the human characters as they continue to be accidentally hilarious. I am excited to read The Warrior Sh ...more
Robert Bone
Jul 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK - Scarper Jack was much better. I did enjoy how the sheep descirbe normal everyday items, like the subway. You were trying to figure out from their descriptions what they were talking about with them. What I really liked about this book though is that you wouldnt expect who the evil villan was - you would of never saw coming. On the other hand, hae characters had obvious and predictable personalities, and it was full of terrbile puns. Some chapters seemed to be repeating themselves. It ...more
Shanshad Whelan
This a fine funny animal caper-adventure story set in Britain about a group of sheep who set off on a quest full of human misadventure. It's . . . not my cup of tea I'm afraid. It reads too much like one of those animal movies they do today (the chihuahua one or the cats and dogs spy movie). That's not necessarily a bad thing for middle grade appeal, but I found the humor level just didn't jive with my adult mind too much.

Still, probably fun for the younger middle grade set and a nice, fast pace
Jo Dunn
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Talk about one baaaaad little flock of rare-breed sheep (and I mean that in a very good way!). Oxo, Links, Jaycey, little Wills and Sal are heroes one and all!

I read a review of this (very) funny, quirky and utterly enjoyable (children's) book and, Ohmygrass!, it immediately jumped straight to my "must-read" list! If you love British humor, enjoy laugh-out-loud moments (lots of 'em!) and fast-paced adventure .. this is a book for you!

Highly recommended!
Lenore Webb
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Quest of the Warrior Sheep. This is a fun lil farce in juvenile fiction. Following just what Sal the sheep does when he was bonked on the head by an UFO. Rushing to the others they decide that it is a sign that Lord Aries is in trouble. The sheep posse takes off to save him while having to battle the bank robbers who are looking for their UFO (actually a cell phone). I can't wait to get the next book, The Warrior Sheep go West. I am sure that it will be just as fun.
Rebecca
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Content - hilarious. I read it out loud to my youngest children and I could not do justice to the characters. My teenagers would walk by, hear what I was reading, chuckle and stick around to hear more. It would be great for any kid who is old enough to read it on their own. The plot might be a bit tricky for the very young to keep track of.

Mechanics - Nicely paced.

Squeaky Clean? - yes.
Joy
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun book to read. Five sheep go on a quest to save the lord of all sheep, Aries, who they fear is in danger after a golden object falls from the sky in their field. Hijinks ensue and these brave warrior sheep and some helpful, good-hearted humans manage to travel across Britain, foil a bank theft, and save all sheep-kind.
Nicole Harris
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I would have given it 4 or 5 stars except they kept talking about the sheep's four stomachs - which they have one stomach that is separated in 4 parts. Not the same as cows and isn't it bad enough kids are clueless about farm animals but to have more confusion by books like this? One simple fact that wouldn't have changed the story. I'm disappointed because the rest of the book was AWESOME!
William
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Five for all and all for five. Five lovable sheep warriors must deliver the baaton to Lord Aries in the north. The story is the journey they take to meet this goal. Our intrepid ovine are rare breeds, and each have their own character. And, ohmygrass, the adventure they go on. It is a good read. We might pursue subsequent books in the series.
Kyrie
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Five sheep, a cell phone, aliens, bank robbers and a quest to get to the North of England. It made me giggle. These sheep must be of the same mold as Sherman the Sheep (we're sheep, we're sheep, we're brave and we're bold, we go where we want, and not where we're told 'cause we're SHEEP!) At any rate, I fully expect Sherman to show up sometime and teach them that chant.
Josh Ua
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book, had me laughing from page 1, kept my interest all the way through. I especially loved the play on BARMI, knowing a bit of Brit humor came in handy.

A great read for loosing adult cares, as well as bedtime dream starter.
Lisa
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
Very enjoyable caper with cleverly intertwined subplots neatly tied off at the end. No death, no no tears, just a really good time. My daughter could've read it by herself, but it was a fun family read-aloud, too.
Tracie
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elem, fantasy
Funny story of five rare breed sheep finding a cell phone and mistaking it for a ancient sheep prophecy. The phone holds evidence of a bank transfer fraud and the sheep go on the run not realizing what they actually have in their possession. Mr. Popper's Penguins fans might enjoy.
Kristeen
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Larry picked up this book while we were at Uncle Hugos and told me to buy it. So I did. I might have liked it just a bit more if it had been about warrior goats. It would make a great claymation movie.
Betsy
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
One Sentence Review: Definitely good-natured, this book proves what we knew all along - their brains are not their greatest assets (though it is fun to see them coming up with their own whacked out mythology).
Whitney
A fun and quick read, pretty much exactly the type of humor you think it has. A fine book for children, or adults looking for some light and entertaining reading. Especially enjoyed the sheep mythology.
Christiane
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A band of five rare breed sheep are the unlikely heroes in this fast-paced, witty adventure story. The sheep encounter one extremely unlikely situation after another, but always manage to stay one step ahead of their hapless human pursuers. There's already a sequel!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Some Repairing needed 7 22 Dec 14, 2013 06:11AM
  • An Army of Frogs (Kulipari #1)
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • Tollins: Explosive Tales for Children
  • The Naughty List
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)
  • Rules for Ghosting
  • Guinea Dog 3 (Guinea Dog, #3)
  • Tiger Boy
  • Aliens on Vacation (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #1)
  • The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure (Chicken Squad, #1)
  • The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean (Harriet Bean, #1)
  • Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff
  • Freddy and the Men from Mars
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Crossing: How George Washington Saved The American Revolution

She has written most of her books together with her husband, Christopher Russell.
More about Christine Russell...

The Warrior Sheep (5 books)
  • The Warrior Sheep Go West (The Warrior Sheep, #2)
  • The Warrior Sheep Down Under (The Warrior Sheep, #3)
  • The Warrior Sheep Go Jurassic (The Warrior Sheep, #4)
  • Die Schafgäääng, Kommt ein Lämmchen geflogen (Die Schafgäääng, #5)