Start by marking “Cauldron” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,937 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The author of Red Phoenix and Vortex outdoes himself--with an epic adventure straight out of tomorrow's headlines. When France and Germany unite against America, Britain and the Eastern European democracies, the former Soviet Union is caught in the middle of a trade war that turns into a shooting war.
Mass Market, Warner Vision Book editions, 740 pages
Published April 1st 1994 by Warner Books (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cauldron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cauldron

Matt
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fantastic book in regards to its genre. When looking for a fictional story of modern war, it seems that overwhelmingly people recommend Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising and Larry Bond's Cauldron among the top handful of books in that genre. If you're interested in reading a book about how a plausible (that's subject to opinion) large scale war could break out, along with the details of how war and battles are fought with modern equipment and technology... then I'd highly recomm ...more
Alan Chen
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fun
Summary: The book is competent enough for a long trip when you have literally nothing else to do, your expectations are low, and you need to kill time in a semi-enjoyable fashion. However, I expect much more than explosions caused by see-through characters.

A technical note: Although the book is supposed to be set in the mid- to late-1990s, the book mentions several technologies (F-22 Raptor, V-22 Osprey etc.) that fell behind production schedule and entered service many years later.

The premise o
Mark Peterson
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read Red Phoenix and Vortex by Larry Band a long time ago but I enjoyed them a lot as I recall. I saw Cauldron in the used book store and picked it up.

The events that lead up to the war seem remote today and probably would have felt that way in the mid 90s when this came out. But once you suspend your belief on that, the actual action depicted in the book was interesting and exciting to read. The some of the technology described I believe is old now and the military has even better weapons to
Dick Gullickson
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A gripping European WW III novel with France and Germany pitted against a US-UK led coalition. One of the nice features of this long page-turner is that there is adequate character development with some heroic and enviable figures on each side of the fight. The discussion and application of military hardware will be fascinating to any military historian or tactician. Well worth reading.
Steven
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
About the manipulation of the EuropeanEconomy and a war in Europe caused by France and Germany trying to force other European nations to enter into a single European common market. Very enjoyable and would like to read it again in the future.
Dan Smith
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of characters in this book.. some major, a lot of minor.. there are a lot of scenes in this book... all tie end together at the end..

It was a tough book to read, but in the end, a great book. Took me longer than usual to complete it, but in the end, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Stefan Vucak
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
After his collaboration with Tom Clancy, Larry Bond tries to emulate his more famous partner, but fails with this work.
Carter Brooks
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War, from a soldier's point of view

Having read the author's two intense novels on new Korean wars, I dove into this realistic portrayal of a WWIII starting in modern Europe. As with his earlier novels, the author spells out the awful details of mortal combat from national leaders, military brass down to the cockpit and foxhole realities. A spellbinding adventure from cover to cover, this is a must read for military enthusiasts and action readers.
José Manuel
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice book, at the beginning it's quite "slow paced", it invites to abandon it but it improves a lot after a short time.
Gary L. Kieffer
So so

Not up to his earlier works. Some events seemed "ripped from the headlines." But others were just so far fetched as to beyond believe. Good read though.
Hilmi Isa
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
1997-1998 merupakan jangkamasa yang membawa perubahan kepada benua Eropah. Untuk menguatkan Eropah (dari segi politik,ekonomi dan ketenteraan),di bawah pimpinan Perancis,Francois Desaix (Menteri Luar Perancis) mencadangkan penubuhan European Confederation (EurCon).
Bermula dengan penyertaan secara sukarela Jerman (dan berkepentingan untuk memastikan ekonomi Jerman tetap terpelihara),beberapa negara Eropah turut menyertai. Ada juga negara-negara Eropah ini yang menyertai dalam keadaan terpaksa. D
Graeme Lee
Nieve

The basic story is fast paced and exciting but stretches the imagination too far sometimes.The plot is weak in several places but overall it is not hard to read
Ed Egbert
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading!

Well written and easy to follow. Not as far out as one would think in the current economic climate in the world today. I highly recommend this book to all who enjoy a good story and action! E
Nigel
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good outing from Larry Bond. Whilst there is the usual element of doubt that you have has the reader as to whether leading politicians would go to war for the reasons expounded by Mr Bond once you get passed this the rest is all too believable. At the writing this review (early 2017) some of the political background set out is all too real. The fear of foreigners, politicians that preach isolationism and our country first are all growing in popularity. While the world doesn’t have the l ...more
Allen Thomas
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cauldron

A very well written book based on fiction, or not. This is a fast read that sounds like it could come true at any moment. If you like military action books, you will love this book.
Alex Reinhart
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I've read a few of Bond's books now and they're getting predictable. Evil villains with big armies who end up being incompetent military commanders, unwilling to listen to bad news but surprisingly willing to commit their troops to doomed attacks.

The plotting is intricate but sometimes unrealistic and predictable. Enjoyable, but I think I've had enough Larry Bond for a while now.
Luke Henning
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good techno-thriller. Larry Bond has done the WWIII genre in the past, teaming with Clancy on "Red Storm Rising". I enjoyed this book a lot, it was a cheap download and well worth it. Portions seemed predictable but maybe I need to break away from this type for awhile. One of these times the "bad guys" will win...
Matthieu
Jun 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Some of his books are really excellent. This one has a huge problem: it's completely impossible to believe a single second in the global scheme. France and Germany against Poland? No way! Well, it's possible but you would need a major shift and half a century to reach this point.

The second problem is that the book is really not accurate when it comes to French / German weapons and tactics.
Brian
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Before the European Union, Bond wrote of the dangers of such an alliance in this page turner. The economic turmoil is very relevant for today's readers, even though the book was released 17 years ago. As always, Bond tells a masterful story with epic battles in this chilling tale.
James Langham
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tom Clancy fans
An interesting account of a war between a Franco-German led alliance and a US-UK-Polish-Hungarian alliance. Good technical details and interesting politics. Let down a little by very negative French characters. Recommended for fans of Clancy's earlier books.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Full war in Europe precipitated by world wide economic crisis brought on by protectionist policies. Given that this absolutely did not happen in the 1990s, the premise suffers a bit, but still a fascinating view of the actual warfare."
Pxipenguin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book after the likes of Ludlum Nd Clancy! It was very long and, at some points, very tedious, but taken as a whole it provided plenty of reading pleasure, no matter how realistic it was. I'll be reading other books by this author.
Randal Carter
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent read, angled to the young adults books section. Action, a bit of romance, plot that is far-fetched but full of heroes and villians.

Fanciful what-if? novel about terrorism and the heroes of Delta section. Great escapist fiction.
Chuck
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Economic recession throughout Europe creates an unholy alliance between France & Germany. Their efforts to persuade other countries to join them causes a virtual WWIII. This one is a page turner.

Andriy Klyuchevskyy
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story of possible future of EU
George
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terrific story and hard to put down once started.
Brian
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lightweight military action novel - an ok beach read but not the best (or worst) example of the genre. The bad guys start out being sneaky and smart and end up being dumb and predictable.
Alan Smith
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Too long
Dan
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It started out a little slow, but after the introductions or after the first 150 pages, it moved pretty quick.I will try and read more of Larry Bond's books.
Graham
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, military, europe
I mean, I'm a sucker for happy endings, but somehow an even MORE neoliberal EU+G7 doesn't seem like it was worth fighting for (also lol nefarious French)
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Arc Light
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Red Army
19636
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a ...more
More about Larry Bond...