Start by marking “Mystic Warrior” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mystic Warrior

Tracy Hickman

Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles #1)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  892 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

From the husband-and-wife team comes a monumental new dragon-laden fantasy series. "The scope, detail, meticulous planning and weaving and winding storyline . . . are just breathtaking."R.A. Salvatore.

Audiobook, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mystic Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic Warrior

Jim
3 stars is a bit generous, but it is an interesting premise. 3 unique, if narrowly described worlds that are mysteriously connected. I'd like to learn more about it in the other 2 books of the trilogy, but I can't take the writing any more. The characters are flat, too conveniently ignorant, stubborn, or stupid depending on what's needed. The dialogue is awful. There's not too much repetition, but enough that it's annoying.

Years ago, I read some of the Dragon Lance books & liked them. IIRC,
Sam
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very short review since this book has been out for a long time and I'm sure there are plenty of reviews on it. I thought the world was interesting enough to bump this up to 2 stars. There's kind of a weird multiple universe sort of thing with overlapping magic that I would be interested in exploring further, but all the characters fell super flat for me. I don't care about any of them and it's almost to the point where most of them actively annoy me. If I hadn't been borrowed this book to read ...more
Zachellis
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystic Warrior is a tale of three different worlds. All of them occupy the same space, but on a different plane, and communication between these worlds is only possible for certain people through what appear to be dreams. On the faerie world, the inhabitants are under attack from hordes of satyrs and centaurs as their way of life is threatened. On another, goblins scour the countryside looking for ancient machines that can be made to work, especially signs of the old Titans who inhabited the la ...more
Tyler
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I have read a book which so heavily depended on a sequel to continue its story lines. And I have to say, it is really annoying! Nothing is resolved really and hardly anything makes any sense yet. That being said, it is an interesting direction that the Hickman's took for this set of worlds, I'm not familiar with any works that function like this. True, it does bear some resemblance to Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle in the different worlds, but a unified world as th ...more
Joy
An interesting premise based on Mystics who have dreams that cross dimensional realms where they either go mad or find they can tap into the magic of metaphor. Their world is ruled by dragons who have made themselves their gods and; as is typical with religion, it's dirty secrets are horrific.

The writing is continually engaging and the mystery of what is really happening is dangled far enough ahead to keep you reading. THe protagonist is in denial of his real and considerable power, having lost
Bradley
A truly strange setting with three linked worlds overlapping each other in weird and frightening ways. Definitely an interesting fantasy read.
John Randall
My fault, thought this would be science fiction but it is fantasy. The only character I liked was Mimic although he kept changing jobs from engineer to technician (I.e., inconsistent).
Katherine Moss
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another great start to a series. A bit different from what I'm used to
Petra Eriksson
I started reading this book 2008 and stopped when I had one third of left. I don't know why but I do that sometimes. I should perhaps have started over from the beginning but when I start reading again it dosen't take long before I remember and I find it boring reading books I have already read if I did not really, really like it.
I had one thing that quite bugged me the book through, the name Galen. That is the Swedish word for mad and perhaps the two writers even knew that, if you think about
Claire
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was torn between giving this book 2 stars because I didn't really like it that much and 3 stars because the world was interesting. 2.5 stars, then?

It was a struggle to finish "Mystic Warrior." I was interested in the faery realm and the goblin realm, and the story lines there, but the human realm was boring. And since most of the story revolves around the characters in the human realm, I was bored a good bit of the time. I finished it mostly to see what happens in the faery and goblin realms,
Matt
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy and Laura Hickman usually deliver on all things fantasy, but for my taste Mystic Warrior falls a bit flat about mid way through. The grand epic adventure they are so good at is missing in this tale; The story starts off good enough, but about half way through I become bored and just wanted something to happen. The main characters are interesting but the secondary characters feel less important, as if they are only there to push the story along. I didn't feel any of the desperation the char ...more
melydia
Do you like dream sequences? Then have I got the book for you! Anyway, this is about a human named Galen who can hear inanimate objects talk. This is widely seen as insanity, and one day he is whisked away in an annual ceremony (which he has thus far been able to avoid) where he learns the horrible truth about what happens to the crazies. Meanwhile, he connects via dreams to a faerie named Dwynwyn and a goblin named Mimic, and nobody's quite sure what the dragons are up to. There's a whole lot g ...more
Jen McGovern
Jul 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
the first book in a proposed trilogy entitled "the bronze canticles," this book begins as a typical sci-fi/fantasy book, set in what could be medieval times, if not for the presence of dwarves and other non-humans. however, through well-developed characters and a novel way of playing with time/space, the book won me over. it poses the idea that there are (in this case) 3 worlds, all of which are occupying roughly the same space and time, but which can only interact in dreams. throughout the book ...more
James
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book, but at the same time I had a few problems with it. I liked how the story progressed through the three different realms; however, on numerous occasions, I felt like I was just getting interested in the storyline of one of the realms and as soon as I was drawn into the book, the plot shifted to one of the other realms. This made Mystic Warrior a slower read for me, especially for a fantasy series. An example of this was the scene when Tragget and his mother were reading the d ...more
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a complicated book, with action happening in three different "worlds" which are connected through some "mystic" magic which we still do not understand or have any significant knowledge of by the end of the book - at least, I didn't! The main characters are interesting, and you develop some sympathy for them by the end of the book, so I have started into the next of the series. Fortunately I am on vacation, and so have more, longer, blocks of time to get into it and follow connections. My ...more
John
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was conflicted between giving this a 3 and a 4 star rating. I did like the book quite a bit, but it just didn't really reach out and grab me and make me want to read it. While I did finish this sooner than now when I post it, it still took me almost 2 weeks to plow through it which was disappointing in a way. It's kinda hard to explain...I think some of it was the three different storylines and that they didn't really overlap/interact with each other all that much which made it harder to read.
Chandra
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the first Tracey Hickman book since Dragonlance that I liked right off the bat. The concept and characterization was novel and made an immediate connection. I also thought it was refreshing that characters stayed loyal to their spouse throughout the book when it could have easily turned into one of them meeting someone new and exciting, plus they were no longer technically married anyway and becoming a cliched trope.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one and see how it all
Jenny Garner
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fantasy readers
Another good fantasy series from Tracy and Laura Hickman. This book is about three connected universes that are slowly being drawn together. The human world, the goblin world and the faery world. Galen, a human blacksmith, is trying to hide his magical powers. Anyone in this world with magic is deemed a lunatic. Galen is captured by Dragon Priests and imprisoned. His wife, Berkita and best friend, Cephas the dwarf set off to rescue him. Read this book to find out what happens to Galen.
Tim
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Although this book was full of good ideas it failed at putting them all together in a way that made sense. The book starts out with a “Thrice upon a time” with the idea of telling three stories from three different worlds that somehow were connected. Unfortunately we never found out how they were connected. I was very disappointed with this book and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
Pierre
Sep 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partial-read
Book didn't draw me in after the first chapter. I Didn't enjoy the writing style. First person narratives are dull, especially when the characters and settings are unfamiliar and not strong. Map style and place names were similar to Dragonlance setting, which is annoying, since this is supposed to be another world.

Meh.
Heather
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not really in love with this series, which is a shame as I normally really like Tracy Hickman's books that are written with Margaret Weis in the Dragonlance series. This series has left me feeling like I'm playing mental catch up so many times. There are often deliberate time gaps and content gaps where you're left trying to infer what has happened.
Katie Reid
This has an interesting, and different theme of magic from many of the fantasy novels I have read. I did enjoy it, but I found myself tuning it out much to often. I guess that it was a bit boring.
Louisiana36
I gave it 3 1/2 stars it's a good fantasy read. listened to it while at work and on dart. story lines was kind of confusing at 1st but it's telling of 3 world's the farie, human and goblins. one world affects the other in certain ways. each main character sees the other world in dreams.
Sophon
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have to say it wasn't a great book but not horrible either. Not quite like the DragonLance series in depth and character development. I haven't had the desire to read the rest of the series yet.
Hans
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was barely worth 2 stars, it got worse from there. If all Hickman's books are this bad he should really consider another career, and spare the world from things that bring disgrace to the entire fantasy genre.
Kelly
Just can't get myself back into this one. The first part was pretty good but then it switched to a another world and new characters. I could see how there was a connection but honestly i didn't care enough to find out the extent of it.
Sophie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012-list
first book in a trilogy. Plot is bit difficult to follow as three "realms" are present in the same world (human/dragon + faeries + goblins) but they are in some ways connected. Plus, there's no real "hero" or MC at that point. Maybe one character will eventually stick out in book 2....
Lynette White
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tracy-hickman
Another Hickman classic.
Chrissyreads
A good fantasy read, if not a little confusing at times and the ending seemed a bit rushed. Good characters, though, some of them didn't get enough scene time.

Overall, I liked it.
Boyd
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Compared to the other stories that Tracy Hickman has co-written, this was so-so. I didn't really get into the story, and the dual-world thing didn't really work for me.
  • Bones of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras, #1)
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga, #1)
  • Dawn of the Dragons (Lone Wolf, #18)
  • The Ruins of Myth Drannor (Pools #4)
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • Ashes of the Sun
  • The White Dragon (Chronicles of Sirkara, #2)
  • Savage Messiah (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • Land of the Burning Sands (Griffin Mage, #2)
  • Lord of the Rose (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #1)
  • Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more
More about Tracy Hickman...

The Bronze Canticles (3 books)
  • Mystic Quest (The Bronze Canticles, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99