Start by marking “The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria

(The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) #7)

Near death from an attack by Slow Mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of Sisters who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures known as the Little Sisters of Eluria have murder on their twisted minds. In his current, wounded condition, there's almost nothing the last gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from ...more
Published June 22nd 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.
James Jankiewicz This is not a normal book with only words, nor is it comic-book-like. It is a graphic novel, i.e., the story is told graphically (drawn + color) with…moreThis is not a normal book with only words, nor is it comic-book-like. It is a graphic novel, i.e., the story is told graphically (drawn + color) with dialogue and text overlays. (less)

Start your review of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria
Matthew
This was a very good adaptation of the short story from King's collection Everything's Eventual. At times I thought I was going to go 4 stars (I didn't really get into it until about halfway through), but it ended at a full 5 stars.

The story of the Little Sisters is very creepy and mysterious. Also, it's perfect transition story between Roland's early life in Gilead and the Dark Tower stories from the novels. As the world decays around Roland and unknown evil begins seeping in, Roland must find
Manuel Antão
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I've never read the Dark Tower series, so it was with some trepidation that I tackled another Stephen King universe.

Suffice to say that by the end of it, I wanted to read the full series, which I've just added to my TBR pile.

It's quite noticeable that "Little Sisters" is nothing but an interlude in an overall broader canvas. Nevertheless I was hooked from the get-go of the story, despite the fact that's it has more action than I'd expect considering for much of the story Roland is bed-ridden and
Paul Nelson
Naaah…hmmmmmh….yeah…erm…ugh….Ahhhh…..for fucks sake…shhhh! Yeah this was middle of the road all the way, didn’t like, didn’t hate it and at the same time wasn’t blown away by it either. In fact I’m just getting sick of vampires I think I‘m having a vampire meltdown.

There’s not even a decent vampire joke about.
Q: What is a vampire's favourite fruit?
A: A neck-tarine.
I mean come on, I’m never reading vampires again, that’s it.

2 vampires are sitting at a bar when the bartender asks the first
Alondra Miller
5 Stars

This series can't get too much better, than what it is. Consistently good.
Char
This was a disappointing foray into a side story of the Dark Tower.

What I liked about it was its connection to King/Straub's novel, The Talisman. (Which is one of my favorite books.) If you've read it, you know that young Jack is trying to save his mom, (who is a Queen in another world), and she is very sick. When we first meet her, she is in a huge tent, fighting for her life. That huge tent is the main setting for this story. (A nice explanation of this comes in the foreword.)

This tale comes
Annerlee
Good graphics. This kept me entertained for an evening, but I really need to read the novel version to really soak up the atmosphere and make my own puctures in my mind's eye.
PUMPKINHEAD
I remember reading Stephen King's original short story and liking it quite a bit. It turns out that the graphic novel pretty much nailed how I pictured 'The Little Sisters Of Eluria' while reading it. It had the same vibe, menace, and atmosphere as what I envisioned in my mind's eye. The artwork is high-quality, subtle and atmospheric when it needs to be, and doesn't skimp on the blood and terror when the horror comes into play.

The tale is of a young Roland Dechamps (lead character of the Dark
Andrew
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so in finishing the first book I knew I could not resist picking up the next and seeing what was going to happen next. In one way not much at all and in another quite a lot. The story now sees Roland on his quest and his hunt for the Good Man. However the story really is little more that a rest-bit, if what happens next could be seen as such.
My scoring of this title is somewhat lower for two reasons - the first is that it appears the artwork has changed subtly and I am still not sure I am
Shannon
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
FROM MY REVIEW OF THE FIRST GRAPHIC NOVEL

I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first mission which led to him meeting his first love.

King was creatively involved in the making of this graphic novel. I
Karissa
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the 7th book in the Dark Tower graphic novel series and was the creepiest and most disturbing book in the series to date. I actually found it intriguing and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Roland’s horse is dying and he decides to stop by a small town to get help. However the town is seemingly deserted. That’s when Roland is attacked by slow mutants and carried away by them. Roland is sure of his demise, but then the slow mutants are stopped by the Sisters of Eluria. The Sisters of Eluria take
Tiago
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I think this was actually my favorite volume of the series so far, as well as one of my favorite horror tales ever, totally not expecting it, loved it to bits. Scary as hell, torturous to experience it and truly romantic, just perfect, with art by Luke Ross, who is slowly turning into one of my favorite comic book artists.
Colleen Martin
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror-sci-fi
Well, the honeymoon is over - I'm definitely not as enraptured with the Dark Tower graphic novels as I used to be. I don't know if it's because they're starting to venture into familiar territory or what, but all they're doing at this point is making me want to re-read the actual novels. While the illustations in "The Little Sisters of Eluria" aren't as bad as the preceding one, they're not nearly as good as they used to be. With the early books, I would just sit and marvel at how gorgeous the ...more
Becky
I enjoy this story for what it is - a little addendum to the Dark Tower series. This adaptation is well done, and I really like the artwork. I like the fact that, this volume at least, seems to have moved away from the jagged, sketchy type art that the previous ones have had. Looking at Roland's face in this volume wasn't looking at a nest of skintone and shadow - I could actually see his features.

One thing that kind of bothered me was the doctors. If I recall correctly, and I may not be (it's
Adam Smith
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-comic
A lone gunslinger in search of a place to tend his weakly horse finds himself in a sinister mining town with a dark secret. Heavily wounded after an attack by the slow mutants, Roland finds himself under the tender care of the Little Sisters, but all is not as it seems in this desert hospice. Can Roland find a way to escape before the Sisters finish their deadly treatment?

It has been awhile since I read the short story this is based off, but I feel the essential themes have been captured
David
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought that I had called it. I really thought that I knew what the Little Sisters of Eluria were.

And I was wrong. Wonderfully, perfectly, deliciously wrong. This one caught me up, took me for a ride, and slammed me back down cackling like a madman. A must read!
Nick
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the novella contained in "Everything's Eventual" not the graphic novel.
I enjoyed this creepy tale which fans of the series should appreciate. It's not heavy on the references but those interested in reading the series are best reading this story after book 4 to avoid spoilers.
Ea Solinas
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are countless bone-chilling creatures in Mid-World, but few are as creepy as the vampire nuns. Yes, I said vampire nuns.

Adapted from one of Stephen King's short stories, the graphic novel "Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, Vol. 2 - The Little Sister of Eluria" is a enduringly horrific, eerie story. Not only does it tap in every fear you've ever had about a hospital, but it brings back a lot of King's visceral, earthy horror into the comic books. And it has vampire nuns.

While exploring the
Robin Solsjö Höglund
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Marvel have gone above and beyond what any Constant Reader could've hoped or dreamed for with these volumes, as they've included a full hardcover for The Little Sisters of Eluria. This is directly based on the Dark Tower short story of the same name included in Everything's Eventual, which proves they're taking this very seriously and are collecting every last bit of Tower-related information to create the most comprehensive graphic novel series possible. Kudos!

Roland is wandering alone, save
Jonathan Echevarria
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mehmet
This is a prequel to The Gunslinger in some ways and definitely takes place after The Dark Tower, Volume 5: Battle of Jericho Hill. Roland is most likely traveling alone and probably searching for the Man In Black.

This story acts as a side story and you probably don't need to know much about the Dark Tower series to enjoy it. It is definitely a fun read and very creepy. The book is hinted to I believe in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger: The Battle of Tull perhaps only very slightly. But continuity
zxvasdf
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Comics in the 21st century... I just can't go back, though the appreciation for the building blocks of today's level of sophistication is there. One thing I don't miss in comics is the characters narrating their thought and subsequent actions. IT's like "OMG that creature recoils from lasers so I'm leaping towards that dropped blaster and grabbing it, skidding on my side as the creature tries to separate my head from my torso and blah blah." The beginning of this book was rampant with this, so ...more
Kate
It probably would have been better to read this in order, but since the short story this particular chapter is based on was separate from the Dark Tower novels (it appeared in one of King's short story collections), I didn't feel too bad.

Roland finds himself attacked by slow mutants in a seemingly abandoned town, and wakes to find himself in a strange hospital attended by women who look like nuns and call themselves the Little Sisters of Eluria. Soon, however, Roland realizes that these women
Nelly Aghabekyan
This was probably the weakest graphic novel in the series, and as much as I'd like to say that I did like it.. well, I just didn't. It took me months to read it and get over with. On the upside - the extras reminded of one of the first Stephen King books I've ever read, Desperation, and it was nice to have that irrational fear creep back into my subconscience. If such things can ever be considered nice, of course. Nostalgia, what can you do.
Colton Geschwandtner
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A graphic novel retelling of King's first Dark Tower Novella, TLSOE does and excellent job of bringing this piece to life. The detail in the art work is fantastic and fits the story very well. The Novella itself is also very interesting to read, the adaptation leaves some thing to be desired that are hidden in the art that need to be looked for
Rural Soul
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of 'Fantasy Western' who don't want to follow whole series.
Shelves: graphic-novels
That is totally separate story from the usual quest of "Dark Tower". Most probably its the most favourite volume of mine when it comes to to story or plot (Though art is always amazing in whole series) still that i am following complete series of Dark Tower comic.
John
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
One of my favorite Stephen King short stories.This graphic novel adaption was spot on as well.I really like where this series is going.
Gary Butler
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
31st book read in 2012.

Number 55 out of 263 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Helen White
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Zombies and vampire nurses. These books are getting shorter and stranger
Michelle Morrell
The illustration of SK's short story of the same name, Roland finds himself under the spell of some seriously messed up nuns. The world is moving on and we're starting to see the full horror of that.
Sud666
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
What an excellent volume! Roland is passing through a deserted small town called Eluria. As he treks through this seemingly deserted town, looking for a place to get his horse some medical help, he is attacked by a band of slow mutants. Overwhelmed and captured, it seems like the end for Roland as he is being tortured to death by the slow mutants.

Yet his life is mysteriously saved and he awakens inside of a medical facility where his wounds are being attended to by some concerned nuns. Yet, the
Rao Javed
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphical-books
This was a good part in The Dark Tower series, but something that had not much to do with dark tower itself. just an adventure. Never the less it was fun to read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Stand : No Man's Land (The Stand. #5)
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • The Stand: Hardcases
  • Stephen King's N.
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • American Gods, Volume 1: Shadows
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  • Treachery
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • The Man in the Black Suit: 4 Dark Tales
  • Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon
  • Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • Road Rage
  • Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell

The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born