Start by marking “A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32)” as Want to Read:
A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32)

A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld #32)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  49,632 Ratings  ·  1,445 Reviews
Tiffany Aching -- the boldest heroine ever to swing a frying pan against the forces of evil -- is beginning her apprenticeship in magic. She expects to work hard, learn spells, and become a witch. She doesn't expect to find herself doing chores, caring for the careless, and trying to outthink an ill-tempered nanny goat. There must be more to witchcraft than this!

But as Tif
Audio, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published December 14th 2004 by HarperAudio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Hat Full of Sky, please sign up.

Cliff Jr. There is so much re-description of the Nac Mac Feegle in the beginning and general recapping throughout that I don't think you'll be lost if you start…moreThere is so much re-description of the Nac Mac Feegle in the beginning and general recapping throughout that I don't think you'll be lost if you start with this one. It's a stand-alone story in its own right, whether you know how Tiffany Aching got her start in witching or not.

That being said, you've really got to read The Wee Free Men, so if you choose to start with A Hat Full of Sky, it should only be because you're too impatient to wait until you can get ahold of a copy of The Wee Free Men.(less)

Charity
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Nac Mac Feegles hae got me tawkin' lae 'em. Crivens! It's a wee bittie story o' hags right enough, the big wee hag o' the hills bein' the verra center o' it all, but it may gi' ye a bad case o' the thinkin'.

I dinna like tae stop readin'.

(To the the Bigjobs: Discworld just keeps getting better and better. Keep a sharp eye out and you will see many references to other stories hidden in the telling.)
Lyn
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Terry Pratchett’s best.

I don’t often gush for a book, but this one was very good. Pratchett’s 2004 Discworld story Hat Full of Sky (and second featuring Tiffany Aching and her friends the pictsies – the Nac Mac Feegle wee free men) was a joy to read.

I’d like to see this made into a film just to see how a clever and talented director handled Miss Level. Like all of Pratchett’s Discworld books, this is wryly funny and sardonically playful and he takes on some heavy themes like family, tradi
Carrie
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is technically a young adult book (and yes, I do read grown-up books, I just went on a bit of a YA tear after my Powell’s extravaganza), but the only reason for so labeling it is that the main character is a teenager. It is hard to explain how great this book is if you haven’t read any Pratchett, but, then again, why haven’t you read any Pratchett? His books about the Discworld started out a pun-filled parodies of fantasy novels, and have evolved into satires on our modern world that usuall ...more
Algernon
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Dedicated to the memory of Sir Terry Pratchett, who passed away soon after I started reading the book.

I have made, over the past twenty years, many friends among the inhabitants of the wacky disc-shaped world sailing through space on the backs of four elephants, carried in their turn by a giant turtle. Starting with Rincewind, then with Sam Vimes and his Ankh-Morpork guards, Lord Vetinari, the wizards of the Unseen University, the banana loving Librarian, the sentient multi-legged Luggage, Moist
Juanes
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Freakin' Terry Pratchett rules. What in the world have i been doing with all my life? I have so many books to read! However i sit inspired by the bravery of Rob Anybody and, therefore, i shall fling myself head first with no helmet...one fearsome book at a time. A Hatful of Sky is a follow up to The Wee Free Men. It picks up just where the other left off and continues Terry's incredibly witty fantasy which clearly stand a bar above other fanatsy.
Muratcan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Pratchett favori yazarlarımdan biri ve her Diskdünya kitabını bitirdiğimde neden favorim olduğunu tarif etmek için farklı bir neden buluyorum.

İnceleme yazmaya çalıştım bir on dakika, yazıp yazıp sildim. Söylenebilecek o kadar şey var ki kitap ve kitabın yaptığı şeyi ne kadar iyi yaptığı hakkında; ne yazsam kitabı anlatmaya yetmeyecek. Belki yarın gündüz gözüyle bir şeyler yazmayı denerim ama şimdilik bu kadar. Genel olarak Diskdünya serisini herkes okumalı. O kadar ince işlenmiş bir mizah
Ümit
Tiffany Sızı'nın maceraları sürüyor; ve ilginç şekilde, insanı kendisine bağlamayı başarıyor. Bir DiskDünyasever olmasanız dahi, ilgiyle izleyebilirsiniz bu seriyi; zaten en başınabuyruk ilerleyen kitaplar da bunlar.

Terry Pratchett'ın son dönemlerinde yazmaya giriştiği Tiffany Sızı serisinde dikkatimi çeken başka bir şey var: Hakiki İngiltere'ye dair, bitmek bilmez bir sevda. Zaten DiskDünya'nın en DiskDünya olmayan kısmı sanki, tüm olayların vuku bulduğu bu Tebeşir denilen yer; burada büyüden ç
Valerie
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For a children’s book it has more complexity than I would've expected. I remember after reading Tiffany Aching’s first book I thought it was just so strange and didn't get what was going on at the end. The climax in this one had a similar sort of the thing going but I understood it better this time around. Maybe it’s because I'm older or that Pratchett explained it easier this time, I don't know.

So here we have Tiffany in the beginning of her witch training and things are not going the way she
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my LOCUS Y-A list.

I think I’ll always have a soft-spot for imaginative young-adult speculative fiction and as the good people at Locus did such a grand job with picking their Sci-Fi winners, I’ll trust them to single out some special y-a books too.

I've never t
Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You
I can not seem to convince anyone to try Discworld.

Damndest thing, I would think that his great stories, great insight, and amazing humor would be an easy sell, but I can't convince most readers I know to so much as read the first page in my copy of "The Colour of Magic," even if they're voracious fantasy readers.

Maybe it's the fact that I use the words "fantasy" and "funny" in the same sentence. Most fantasy writers are the most humorless artists imaginable, so it seems like the dissonance is t
Fiona
I was going to say, this isn't what I should have been reading - I seem to have found myself with a to-do list as long as my arm at the moment - but it's exactly what I needed.

In A Hat Full of Sky, Pratchett tackles growing up in the sense of taking responsibility for things, and understanding the difference between the things you want, and the things you actually do. As someone who has spent quite a lot of the last six weeks howling "It must be so nice not to have to take the initiative/solve t
Marta
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pratchett is brilliant an witty, as usual. Tiffany is the most talented young witch - teaming up with the greatest old witch, my personal favorite, Granny Weatherwax. Deep, mystical, sandy, and very human lessons are learned. The Nac Mac Feegle never abandon Tiffany, nor Special Sheep Liniment. The quirky side characters are fun: Miss Level with her two bodies and circus past, along with Oswald, the obsessively tidy poltergeist. We also get a much more jovial version of Witch Trials than in hist ...more
Andi
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are the best.
YouKneeK
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Hat Full of Sky is the 2nd book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. I really enjoyed this one, maybe slightly more than I enjoyed the first Tiffany Aching book. It had an equally good story, and I thought it was a bit funnier.

In this book, Tiffany is now eleven and she leaves her home on the chalk for the first time so she can learn how to be a proper witch. She travels to the mountains where she’ll serve as an apprentice for a witch named Miss Level, who is a bit unusual. Meanwhile
Kaethe
2010 August 17
2004 August 20

Well, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is out, and Terry Pratchett is in for the read aloud. As fond as I am of the former, I'm perfectly willing to cast it aside. Tiffany Aching is a marvelous character who thinks all the time. As does Pratchett. Unlike Lewis, Pratchett's world is rich and detailed and it works. The Nac Mac Feegle are delightful low-comedy anti-fairies and a good foil to the thoroughly mundane business of sheep-farming.

As an aside, Pratchett has just descr
Nathan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wee Free Men, while still entertaining, didn't catch me on reread quite like it did the first time through. A Hat Full of Sky on the other hand was pure magic and everything I remember it being. My favorite Aching book.
Annemieke
I quite enjoyed the first book of the Tiffany Aching arc of Discworld, The Wee Free Men, but A Hat Full of Sky steps it up a notch. I love how Terry Pratchett plays with words. There is a subtlety and then sometimes it is so in your face. It is a gift. Tiffany Aching is a tad different from the rest of his Discworld books as this is more of a middle grade/young adult read. It is just a bit easier to be drawn into the world I feel.

In this book our Tifany is two years older and she is finally star
Raluca
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I found my first Tiffany Aching book (it was I shall wear Midnight and bless Terry's soul for finishing The Sheppard's Crown before he crossed the great black desert) I realized I had found a friend. There's something truly magical in the way Sir Pratchett uses words and even the smallest keen observation to make a notion so different than it was before, to make you realize something that you knew perhaps all along but hadn't seen it properly until you read these words and I think that's wh ...more
Robin Stevens
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tiffany is a fantastic heroine, and these are some of my favourite Pratchett books. I think that anyone 10+ could read and love any of his books (although you might be a bit confused about some of the jokes he makes, as I was), but these are particularly about and for kids. Re-reading them now, they're as funny and adventureous as ever. A perfect way to get into Pratchett. 8+

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing material, online or in
Dakota★Magic in Every Book
There's a reason that Terry Pratchett was such a well-known and loved writer. He's able to put into words universal feelings and experiences and weave them into a story that is funny, charming, and poignant.
Christopher
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faye
First read: 2004

Re-read: August 2015

The plot: Almost two years have passed since the events of The Wee Free Men and the now eleven year old Tiffany leaves the chalk to become an apprentice witch to Miss Level.

However she is not alone; she has attracted the attention of the 'hiver' - a wandering, conquering mind that is desperatly searching for its next body - and it has set its sights on Tiffany.

There is so much to love in this book. Pratchett has based his ideas of witchcraft on the historical
Angie
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Tiffany Aching is off to learn how to be a witch. She is going to apprentice with Miss Level, who is a witch with one mind but two bodies. Tiffany is leaving her beloved Chalk behind, but she knows she needs to learn to be a witch so she can come back and be the hag of the hills. Rob Anybody has a new kelda and Jeannie isn't too thrilled about Rob's concern for Tiffany. Afterall, Tiffany was kelda for a while and engaged to Rob even if that was just for show. But when the Nac Mac Feegle's realiz ...more
Lauren
A Hat Full of Sky is entertaining and fun read about a young witch in training in the classic fairy style.

In the first Tiffany Aching book she rescues her little brother from the Fairy Queen and becomes the kelda of the wee free men. The macfeagle are not exactly like brownies in that if you leave them milk they won't help you do your chores. If you leave them whiskey they'll try to help but it won't be the sort of help you'd want. She realises she's a witch despite all prior claims by witches
Mary Catelli
The second Tiffany Aching book. spoilers ahead for the first one.

Miss Tick has arranged for Tiffany to work for a witch, to learn the tricks of the trade. (Her parents are assured she's being hired for her skill in cheese making.) Roland, the Baron's son, is awkward and infatuated when she leaves. The Nac Mac Feegle have acquired a normal kelda, Jeannie, who married Rob Anybody and does not entirely approve of Tiffany. Hag of the hills or no, after all, she was their acting kelda and engaged to
Michael Jones
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults and kids who can already deal with Harry Potter
Well, I'm giving this one 5, because if you like Nac Mac Feegles, to me, this is the funniest one of all! We listened to the excellent audiobook together, and it had us rolling for 15 minutes at a time with laughter.

For those of you that don't know them, they are little Celtic Scottish pixie guys who wear kilts and defend the clan to the death! They are the fiercest warriors 5 or 6 inches could ever pack into a body!

The other thing is that my family has been going through the book of Proverbs c
Jane Lebak
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding I do like TIffany Aching (sorry, Patient Husband -- I know you don't like her). I like her because of the way she stands at arm's length from the world and the way she puzzles things out. I also like her for her genuine attachments to people who aren't really there. She's very attached to her deceased grandmother, for example, but she's not especially attached to her parents. She loves the land where she grew up, but she isn't so much attached to specific aspects of the land.

I liked
Melaslithos
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children, humor
Pratchett is the perfect remedy when you are in need of a smile. Whatever I am doing, however busy I am, I will always drop anything for one of his book.

It was the case to for this one. I just couldn't drop it once I started. Good thing for me that it was on a Friday night, and that there wasn't too much consequence to going to sleep past 3:00 am because of it.

Tiffany Aching is great, and she is an even greater witch in the making. The Nac Mac Feegles are just so Nac Mac Feegly.

I read this book
Claudia L. R.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amo esta saga, amo la poesía y el humor de Pratchett, amo a Tiffany. ¿Qué más puedo decir? Si me demoré en leerlo fue por problemas personales, pero es una lectura maravillosa que recomiendo a todos.

Terry, sigues viviendo en nosotros.
Stacey
I love these books, they're so funny and quirky.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Hat Full of Sky 1 4 Sep 10, 2012 09:17AM
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 4709 likes
“Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” 1224 likes