Start by marking “Dude: Fun with Dude and Betty” as Want to Read:

Dude: Fun with Dude and Betty

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Whoa!

Dude!

Learning to read surf-speak has never been so easy, or so much fun! It's, like, totally radical! (If you need a little extra help, check out the non-bogus glossary at the back of the book.) For beach boys and surfer girls of all ages.
Published May 3rd 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dude

Alana
"Surf, Dude, surf!" As the marketing for this book says, learning to read surf-speak has never been so non-bogus. Join Dude, Betty, and Dude’s most excellent dog, Bud, in this primer for beach boys and surfer girls of all ages (though I suspect the older set might take more wicked delight in this one than the mini-groms). You’ll laugh, you’ll boogie, but you most definitely will not want to bail on Dude before catching some gnarly waves.

Get stoked!

Seriously, though, Dude: Fun with Dude and Betty
Donalyn
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hilarious parody of the Dick and Jane books. Includes a glossary of surfer terms in the back.
Marian
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Retro and funny--
Megan
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
DUDE! Why you harshing on my mellow?
Wendy Kuzma
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
This story is written in the format of Dick and Jane books with a surfer twist. It is a fun read for those of us who grew up in the 80s! I suddenly feel the need to re-watch Encino Man and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure! :)
Aubrey
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Old school Dick & Jane style book that is so terrible it makes you laugh. Dude surfs gnarly waves while Betty gets a “totally rad tan” while laying out... Funny slang with a glossary, I would let middle grade students read for a “righteous” laugh.
Megan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
hilarious.
Melissa
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was like, most excellent, dude!
Courtney Pankrat
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious!
Andrew
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cool parents!
Shelves: humor
This book made me laugh soooo much, but I think it was unintentionally funny. The point of this book is to introduce kids to West Coast slang like "gnarly" & "harshin' on [somebody's] mellow." Omg "harshin' on [somebody's] mellow" is my newest favorite phrase by the way.

I had trouble deciding whether or not this book fell squarely into a children's genre. I don't envy the librarians who have to make this difficult decision either. It straddles a fine line between mockery of classic "Dick and
Sandy
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I suspect that the brilliants of this book will probably go right over kids' heads. But as a grown-up who totally gets that this is a parody of the classic, propper Dick and Jane books...this is pretty funny. It's so awful that you can't help but find it awesomely hilarious, filled with such lines as, "Look at Dude surf. Surf, Dude, surf!" and "Bud is harshing on Dude's mellow." What's not to love?
Shannon
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I like Dick and Jane books as much as the next lass, but this one landed in the uncomfortable area where I can't tell whether it's a joke or serious. JK, I reread it, and

Best line: "Betty is a righteous surf bunny. She does *not* live in the valley."

Nope, I take that back. "See Betty soak up rays. What a totally rad tan, Betty."

Also: "Most heinous, Bud!" "What a non-bogus babe Betty is."
David
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has to be the funniest book I've ever read!!! No other book had me crying 'cause I was laughing so much!!! OK, I admit it may go over the head of the typical picture book audience; but wow, I believe adults will love this... Dude's dog ate his burrito "Bud is harshing on Dude's mellow." Too funny, a must read.
Dona
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dona by: Lauren Tolman
Shelves: picture
Super cute, oh and gnarly. Brought back memories of the cottages at Gilbert Elementary School. Mrs. Pew's first grade classroom. Oh how I loved those Dick and Jane books. My friend Lauren swears that Dick and Jane returned as Mom and Dad in this soon-to-be-classic early reader but weren't Dick and Jane brother and sister? Clearly more research is needed.
Libby
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
My son and I had so much fun reading this! It was a silly take on the Dick and Jane stories, with the same result. Of course, instead of reading about Spot running, we learn how to read about Betty being a righteous surfer chick. So, my son now recognizes the work "righteous." Which I think is, well, righteous.
Leslie Lee
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dude Fun with Dude and Betty by Lisa Pliscou 2011. This realistic fiction book is about a guy who goes surfing for the day. Discourse is updated teen language with illustrations from the 1970's. Interesting combo.
Westerville
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fiction
It would be most heinous if you missed this surfer update of Dick and Jane. Includes a glossary of surfer lingo. Bodacious. - Becky, Teen Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Steve
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, read-2016
Hillarious take on Dick & Jane from a surfer perspective. My favorite line is when Dude's dog Bud eats his burrito "Bud is harshing on Dude's mellow".
Rebecca
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beth Shelby
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who grew up or spent time in California surf culture will get a kick out of this spin on Dick & Jane. Bodacious read.
Tina
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The entire family enjoyed reading it!
Ian
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted better wave paintings, they did a good job on the ocean still, but nothing great on moving waves. Did like the taco menu,betty got the nachos, dude the burrito.
Mr. George
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: src-2012
Dude, this is amazing. What a fun journey to Cali....sorry, it is funny cause it is true. I am going to read this for my summer reading club promos in my Spicoli voice. Narly
Dana
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book totally didn't harsh my mellow. Stokaboka!!
Julie
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: readers
This book is totally bodacious!
Rick
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Whoa!! This is the best beginning reader I have seen in like forever. I totally wish I had a stylin' cruisemobile!
Aug 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-book
I would never really want my kids to read this. I think it's definitely ridiculous.
Yara
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
Fun easy reader with surfer lingo, with a glossary in the back.
Brian Sendelbach
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My kids especially love the part where Dude's parents tell him to clean his room and do his homework...and Dude just runs out of the house and back to the beach.
Janet
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Here is Dude. Hey, Dude. What's up?
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I write books for children and adults. My latest, from Macmillan: BRAVE JANE AUSTEN: Reader, Writer, Author, Rebel, a picture-book biography.

More about Lisa Pliscou
“Wait.
It's cool!
Betty shares her nachos.
What a non-bogus babe Betty is.”
0 likes
“Uh oh.
Bud has chowed Dude's burrito.
Most heinous, Bud!
Bud is harshing on Dude's mellow.”
0 likes