Start by marking “Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)

Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia #2)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  313 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
On a snowy February morning, London art dealer Rachel Tenison goes for a jog through a dark and deserted Holland Park, Still giddy from the previous evening's adventures, her legs; wobbly from too much drink and too little sleep, she trips and falls at the bottom of an icy hill. Lying on her back, enjoying the sensation of snowflakes melting on her skin, she savors the une ...more
Audiobook
Published 2009 by BBC WW (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady Of Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady Of Pain

Marianne
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our Lady of Pain is the second book in the Mark Tartaglia series by British author, Elena Forbes. When a naked body is found in the snow in Holland Park, posed in prayer, a Swinburne poem stuffed in her mouth, DI Mark Tartaglia and his Barnes Murder Squad investigate. On closer examination it transpires that the victim, an attractive, wealthy and well-liked art dealer, had secrets of which even her family and closest friends were unaware. Then a journalist claims a link to a year-old cold case, ...more
Karen
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, united-kingdom
OUR LADY OF PAIN is the second novel from English writer Elena Forbes - her first DIE WITH ME received a much deserved nomination for the Crime Writers' Association John Creasey New Blood Dagger award.

This book picks up with the same investigation team headed by DI Mark Tartaglia and DS Sam Donovan, called in when a most bizarrely "displayed" body is found in a snow covered London park. The naked corpse of a young woman is kneeling down, her head bent right over touching the ground, her face alm
Fictionophile
Just turned the last page of "Our Lady of Pain" by Elena Forbes. The second installment in what is shaping up to be a superb British police procedural series.

The first book in the series, "Die with me", I reviewed on my blog on June 13, 2009.

"Our Lady of Pain" is set in London, in February, with DCI Mark Tartaglia and policewoman Sam Donovan working an intriguing murder case. The body of a beautiful young art dealer is found by a passing jogger naked and frozen in Holland Park. Her body is posed
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in this book is dead. The police are looking to find who killed her of course. What makes this interesting vs. other murder/mystery novels is how much this is about her. Yes, we learn about the other characters, some who are rather complex as well. You go deeper and deeper into the victims world & she isn't the type of person everyone thought she was. She affected many of the living even after death. She is beautiful & alluring, but she is also a mystery. A woman with ...more
Mike Gabor
A woman is found in Holland Park murdered and posed as if in prayer. Mark Tartaglia and his partner Sam Donovan are assigned the case. As they investigate they find that the young woman had lead a rather kinky lifestyle. Another murder that happened a year prviously also has them wondering if a serial killer may be at work.

I found this book mildly entertaining. The plot is well thought out and moves along at a brisk clip. The characters are fairly well defined and the ending wasn't bad. Faint pr
Joanne
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another riveting mystery starring Mark Tartaglia of the London Murder Squad. Again, the descriptions of the London sites are so well drawn, I feel like I'm there. Forbes is a master at convincing the reader of the guilt of a character, only to have the premise turned upside down in the last few pages: very skillful. If I have one small criticism, I hope that in subsequent books, Sara Donovan is not always going to be unsuspecting enough to again be victimized by the villain. She needs to ...more
Karen
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. Good police story with characters I liked. The ending was not as good as good as others. (Why it gets a 4 instead of a 5), but I will read more of this author if I get a chance and there are more book in the series at my library.
Pgchuis
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent until the end, which was a bit much!
Gary
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was going very well until the end, when it deteriorated. The ending was extremely annoying especially if you read the previous book. The author needs to get new ideas.
Cindy
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll read the next one in the series. But if the one female cop ends up in danger yet again, that's it.
Scarer-Boo.
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read, I bought it for a absolute steal!
I really enjoyed the angle of the investigation it was a change.
Would recommend to anyone who loves crime novels a little less intense.
Sandie
Similar in style and cadence to the stories of Robert Goddard and P. D. James with a little bit of Ruth Rendell thrown in for good measure. Our Lady of Pain is a wonderful and literate murder mystery that engages the reader from the very first page.

While the plot is driven by the investigative team's probe into two brutal murders, the true beauty of the book lies in the author's meticulous development of the characters and their surroundings. The reader is allowed a voyeuristic look into the da
Thomas Paul
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several things that I look for in a mystery. The story should make me care about the characters. There should be plenty of clues. The solution should be an “of course” moment. It should be well-paced. “Our Lady of Pain” has all of these. The author does a great job of avoiding the “sophomore jinx” by writing a good follow-up to the first book in her series.

Rachel Tenison, a beautiful art dealer, is found dead in a park one snowy winter morning. Her body is found in a way that suggests
Icewineanne
This is the second book in the Mark Tartaglia and Sam Donovan detective series. While I did enjoy this novel (it's an easy, light read), it is not as absorbing as her first book.

The victim was a femme fatale, whom women disliked and one that the all the men, including Mark Tartaglia, even in death, obsess over. Then another murder that occurred a year ago is brought to the crime squad's attention and they wonder if the two murders are linked.

In the first book, a possible romantic relationship
Shonna Froebel
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series featuring Mark Tartaglia. Tartaglia is a detective inspector on a murder investigation team in London. This story begins with the discovery of a naked, frozen body in Holland Park. The body is arranged and the clothing is nowhere to be found. Tartaglia and his partner Sam Donovan are on the case and find it hard to get to know the victim, Rachel Tenison. Rachel seems to have been a very secretive person, and even her best friend doesn't know everything she w ...more
Hannie
Het is al even geleden dat ik een echte thriller heb gelezen. Hiervoor heb ik een aantal chicklits gelezen en Nooit meer met jou van Lucy Dawson had wel wat thrillerelementen, maar was niet een thriller in de zin van er is iemand vermoord en de politie zoekt de dader. Onze Lieve Vrouwe van de pijn is een interessant boek en je wordt als lezer soms ook op het verkeerde been gezet. Toch vond ik het boek niet heel uitzonderlijk vergeleken met andere thrillers. Ook wordt het nooit heel spannend. Het ...more
Molly
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from the library accidentally. I meant to pit a hold on the book of the same title by Marion Chesney. I wasn't disappointed. This book is the second in a series but I was able to follow the story without having read the first book. I thought the author did a food job of making the characters interesting and the story wasn't too graphic. My issues with the story were that the characters drink a lot. Even during work sometimes. By the end of the book, I was beginning to wonde ...more
Marian
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd Elena Forbes book I have read. The main characters ( Donovan and Tagliata) are back to solve yet another crime. These characters draw you in without losing sight of their focus, solving the crime. There is no romance in this book (which I prefer) and no graphic sex acts descriptions...just pure crime and finding out "who dunit!) Fast pace book that you just won't want to put down. My only disappointment is that Forbes doesn't have her 3rd book written.
Laraine
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in Forbes' Mark Tartaglia mysteries would be a solid 4 star read. Forbes writes a taut and interesting mystery and this is no exception. In this one, Tartaglia and Sam Donovan are on a murder case...a beautiful art dealer is found in Holland Park, dead and posed. As they investigate her death, they discover she has a secret life involving S & M and picking up men in bars. And then this case becomes entangled in an older murder, which turns it right on its head. A good read.
Vivian
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms.Forbes's books are difficult to find in the US, so I purchased a copy for download to my Kindle. I really enjoyed this British police procedural, the setting and especially the characters. Absorbing mystery and resolution. I've ordered the latest book in the series in print from the UK, since it not available here or on Kindle. Comparable to the likes of Peter James, and Mark Billingham. Highly recommended.

Liza
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tweede deel van de serie die begon met Sterf met mij. Op zich een prima serie lijkt het, genoeg verbinding met de hoofdfiguren en een spannende plot. Jammer dat de lijn over de Bruidegom- moordenaar niet echt wordt meegenomen behalve in een paar losse referenties naar deze zaak. Verder prima vertier.
Janusch
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Only slightly better than the first book, with a story that's almost exactly the same as the previous. Again, it's only in the last two chapters that suddenly everything comes together and Tartaglia and Donovan solve the mystery (or rather, have the solution shoved down their throat). Not good, both generally and when it comes to detectives, but still entertaining enough.
Marilyn
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sequel to Die with Me, Elena Forbes' first mystery. I only gave it four stars because five must be reserved for P.D. James. Elizabeth George, Robert Goddard, Dorothy Sayers, Michael Connelly, John Connolly, and oh so many more.
Karen wadey
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book the story was good the plot had many twists and turns and I didnt guess the ending in advance so I would recommend this to others and certainly read another of Elena Forbes books!
Babs
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
Shelves: thrillers
I adored this 2nd book of Elena Forbes series. We learn more about Mark and Donovan along with some new characters as well. I am looking forward to the 3rd book. I got the kindle version of this and love it.
Emma  Kaufmann
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second book in this mystery series finds a very kinky female art dealer murdered by a sexual pervert. A real page turner, very atmospheric and like taking a holiday to London - amazing characterisations and evocation of London life.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is an awesome writer!! Absolutely loved it!
Brooke
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly entertaining, if somewhat unbelievable at times, British police detective mystery.
Jane
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
English setting
  • Blood Never Dies (Bill Slider,#15)
  • Walt
  • Beyond Recall
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • Good People
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • The Dark
  • The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson, #12)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Death by Design (Cetin Ikmen, #12)
  • Walking Into the Ocean (Peter Cammon Mysteries #1)
  • Eye Contact
  • Midnight Alley
  • Games People Play (Charlie Cameron Glasgow PI Series #1)
  • The Twilight Time
  • A Killing Tree: Detective Inspector Zig Batten 1
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
Elena Forbes is an English writer of crime fiction.She grew up in London. After completing a degree in French and Italian at Bristol University, she worked in portfolio management for a number of international groups before becoming a full-time writer.

She lives in central London with her husband and two children. The protagonists of her novels so far are Detective Inspector Mark Tartaglia and DS S
More about Elena Forbes...

Mark Tartaglia (4 books)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)