Start by marking “A Sister's Promise (Sisters Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Sister's Promise (Sisters Series, #1)

A Sister's Promise

(Sisters Series #1)

Kate Hopper can list a million reasons why she doesn’t have kids. No, more like reasons why she shouldn’t have kids: genetics, a dysfunctional family, and ultimately, the fear that she wasn’t cut out to be June Cleaver or Carol Brady or Claire Huxtable. TV moms always made it look so easy, but Kate knows better.

When Kate’s little sister, Joely, refuses a medical treatment
Published November 13th 2010

To ask other readers questions about A Sister's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sister's Promise

John Aubrey
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jason Stratham DVDs on the shelves. Check.

Hunting rifles in the case. Check.

Spike tv playing. Check.

Less than zillion pairs of shoes. Check.

I'm a guy. Settled. So why did I enjoy Karen Lenfestey's Sister's Promise so much? I read it after meeting Ms. Lenfestey at a library book fair. She seemed a nice enough person so I decided to give her novel a read. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. It was after all about a woman in conflict over whether to be a mother. First thing that popped into my head
Lynda Kelly
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
I got fed up with both of the sisters featured and packed this in at 63%. It wasn't bad till then but they were either insipid, lazy, selfish or self-obsessed and I'd had enough of the pair of them !!
One sister was so full of self-flagellation it got irritating and the other was all me,me,me.....
She did that awful thing where Americans write drug as opposed to dragged and the same using shined and not shone, then he instead of she, teacher's and not teachers' and freshman in place of freshmen. I
Nenette
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
The storyline was good. It centered on the bond between two sisters, at the same time touching on more sensitive topics like genetics, to have or not to have children, child abuse, school politics. I also liked the flow of the story, except that I felt that the ending was a bit rushed or sudden. Probably the author wanted to put in some element of surprise there; but I was more disappointed than surprised. There was a lot of nice scenes, a lot of details in the earlier chapter, and I felt that t ...more
Judy Stanton
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really did not enjoy this book. The characters are all ridiculously self-centred especially the main character who literally turned every situation to be about herself. If I had been reading a print copy it probably would have been thrown across the room in disgust at least once at her behaviour.
Nanci
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
The writing was just so, so. The characterization was just so, so. The storyline was just so, so. The ending was predictable. It did leave itself open for other books in the series, but I won't be spending time reading them. The only redeeming factor was it read fast, so I could move on to something else. I wouldn't have finished it, if I weren't reading it for a challenge.
Dorothy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This one meandered and stalled a bit, then completely lost me in the last two pages. I had to read the snippet from the next book to confirm what happened. Not a heavy read at all and the characters annoyed me (except Mitch, who stayed genuine), so I would rank this as a decent beach read.
Amy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Boring.The characters were just self centered sketches.
DonnaJo Jo Pallini
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Quick read. Honestly the personality of the sisters was a little irritating to me. Kate, the older sister, was always so worried "something" was going to happen and it got a bit annoying. Joely, the younger sister, didn't care about anyone but herself. An interesting twist at the end.
Donna Antaramian
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This story centers around 2 sisters; Kate and Joely. Kate is married to Mitch, is a school counselor and in a marriage that neither want children. Joely is single, wants child but just has been diagnosed with Lupus, her treatment would leave her infertile. Somehow Joely corners her sister Kate into promising to have a baby.

There were times I found the 2 sisters quite irritating. I found both sisters to be pushy and often spoke out of turn. I did not feel the book was well written – it really ne
Trista Priest
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I suffer from lupus and the author was spot on with symptoms and the emotions that are felt with first diagnosed. From the relief of finally knowing what is going on to feel like giving up at times. The author did an amazing job expressing the reactions from the people closest to her as well. This is a disease that not only affects the person that is diagnosed, but everyone that is close to them. The emotions were so raw and the characters very relatable. I look forward to reading the next two b ...more
Mary Anne
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
aA good story about the bond of sisters, especially ones whose early life was marked by tragedy. The story also touched on a couple's decision not to have children and the impact it has on them when one reconsiders.
There is also the element of a disease with genetic implications and the impact that has on a decision to have or not have children. There are some complicated issues that come into play. The story is well told, the characters mostly likeable, and it was a hard book to put down.
Karen
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Like Emily Giffin's "BabyProof", "A Sister's Promise" tackles a somewhat taboo subject--the idea that not all women want to be mothers. Reconsidering her stance on this issue causes Kate Hopper to confront her past while igniting conflict within her marriage. Karen Lenfestey was awarded the Midwest Writer's Fellowship for this novel. With strong scenes and emotions, "A Sister's Promise" will spur heated book club discussions and the characters will linger with you long after the last page.
Barb
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Having spent most of her life being her sister's caregiver since her mother was too ill to do it, Kate's adulthood is no different--but now her sister has an autoimmune disease and asks Kate to do what she really wants for herself: to have a baby.
Are there some things you shouldn't ask even your sister to do for you?

I thought this story had a good premise but it wound on WAY too long, what with everything falling apart as Kate overthought every single aspect of her life.
Andrea
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
An okay read

I liked Kate for the most part. She's very naive and immature for her age. Her sister Joely selfishly asks Kate to have a baby and Kate ultimately agrees. I did not like that Kate isn't mature enough to be responsible for her own life and make her own decisions. Everything may have turned out okay in the end but that's the fantasy. Real life never turns out so well. I'm on the fence about reading the next book.
Amy Gothard
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is quite different from what I am use to reading. This book had a personal health issue that touched my heart so deeply. The sisters relationship was inspiring and the outcome of the book was surprising.
Anne
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a really good book, there where some parts I wish would have had a little more detail. I thought the story line was excellent and the writting was good.
Kari Beh
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Starting the second one now.
Ronda
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
The story was fine but I didn't like the two main characters.
Kay-Dee
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this story very charming. Following along with the hardships two sisters are forced to face and seeing how their close relationship effects the decisions made was interesting. I was honestly shocked as Kate became increasingly committed to the promise she made her sister, Joely. Even more surprised at Kate's husband response (won't go into more detail as not to spoil anything). The only complaint I have, overall, is I felt the final maybe 25% of the book felt rushed. The story went pract ...more
Joy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A Sister's Promise
Here we meet sisters Kate and Joely. They have a closeness that only siblings that grew up in less than ideal situations can truly understand.
Though there is a second book, the way this one ended without a real cliffhanger, there's no feeling of having to continue if you don't want to.
I may not.
Though I thought the writing was good. I felt the characters were a little flat. Kate is supremely wishy washy and a pushover. Joely, to be honest, is manipulative. Many of the charact
Judy
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a heart breaking story most of the time. A story about two sisters, that lost both their parents early in their lives, went to live with an aunt and uncle that did not care or love them much. The story just gets sadder after that. They both have lives filled with issues. While the book was well written and I can't say that I did not like it, for that reason, I wish I would not have read it. It was depressing and I generally don't like to read stories like this. I was reading and hoping ...more
Norma
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books having Sister titles grab my attention and I wasnt disappointed. A drama that holds sisterhood to heart and loyalty that one sister does for the other. I could feel the pain of one sister because my own sister is going through what this one was going through. I recommend this book,you wont be disappointed.
There is a continuation to this book, and my ebook let me read alittle of the beginning so I could know it continues.
Milton Edgeworth
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit annoying

The main character is so self involved, so judgemental, you want to just shake her. But, all too often you realize that far too many of us are often just as selfish. It is sad that we often blame failures of other family members and the past to form our own behavior and we justify ourselves by blaming our past for our own failures. A rather depressing look at human interactions.
Leni Rayburn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a major problem with the premise in that the sister is diagnosed with Lupus which the author presents as a fatal disease. It's a life-long disease which requires major coping skills on part of the patient and the doctor but carries less than a 10% mortality rate. ALS or Huntington's diseases, genetic & invariably fatal would have been better choices. All that angst wasted in my opinion!
Eirlys
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very moving

I gave this book five stars because it was an enthralling read. I liked the different personalities of the two sisters and how they dealt with life's problems. It had several twists that surprised me and kept my interest throughout. I want to read more about Joley and Kate.
Becky Everett
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I like it at first. Then it was hard to finish. Don't know why they added in some of the other topics that had nothing to do with having a baby. The main character was very self centered. I like others had to read the last chapter and the next preview of the next book to figure what happen. I was looking for a easy read of two sisters bonding over a baby. That is not what this book is about.
Laura Lamb-susca
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
There is not much I can say. I thought the book was terrible. It was basically about two women from a dysfunctional family. The book is essentially all about how they only think of themselves, their needs and wants.
April Wilson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
There were a couple of situations that I felt had a rushed resolution, but overall it was an enjoyable read. The ending was a bit of a surprise (pleasant) and I found myself reading it a second time to be sure I read right.
Crystal w
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Well every time i thought this story was going somewhere it didn't It was a bit too slow for my liking. I liked the story itself but it was so slow and then completely rushed at the end. It was an ok book with a decent story.
Rachael Kiplinger
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good story and brought out good information about Lupus. I did not like the way one sister made the other sister promise to do something that was not something she wanted to do. I don't believe most people have a 180 degree change of heart about something so big.
  • Buying Time (Legacy #1)
  • Seven Days of Friday (Women of Greece, #1)
  • Purling Road - The Complete First Season: Episodes 1-10
  • Lost And Found (September Day Series, #1)
  • Condemn Me Not
  • Love Will Take Me Home
  • Wild Raspberries
  • Taboo Desires: 3 Sexy Tales of Lust and Passion
  • The Day We Met
  • The Clash of the Bridesmaids
  • Celia's Journey
  • Goodbyes and Second Chances (Bleu, #1)
  • The Case Of Billy B
  • The Recruiter
  • Tangled: A Southern Gothic Yarn
  • First Do No Harm (Benjamin Davis)
  • Just Friends
  • The Cuckoo's Gift
Karen Lenfestey, a Midwest Writer’s Fellowship winner, writes “happy endings with a twist.”

Karen has a B.A. in Advertising from Purdue University and a M.S. in Counseling from Indiana University. She is active on Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter and on her website, www.karensnovels.com.

To be the 1st notified of new releases and giveaways, sign up on www.karensnovels.com.

Sisters Series (3 books)
  • What Happiness Looks Like (Sisters Series, #2)
  • On the Verge (Sisters Series, #3)