Start by marking “Surveillance (Ghost Targets, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surveillance (Ghost Targets, #1)

Surveillance (Ghost Targets #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  451 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Gods Tomorrow introduces a world with perfect surveillance of every human action.

Katie Pratt joins the Ghost Targets team to help maintain that database...just as a murderer is trying to bring the whole system down.
Published May 5th 2011 by Consortium Books (first published October 1st 2010)

Jessie
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michael Crichton fans, dystopia fans, fans of strong female protagonists
Shelves: own, consortium
The beginning is a bit slow and the only reason I understand most of the technical jargon because my husband is in software development. However, the characters drive the plot forward, and by at least a quarter of a way through the book, I was devouring every page to find out what happened next. It is really well written, and his setting is definitely plausible. I can see his future becoming our future very soon. All in all, great read!
Carlos Velez
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm partway through this book on my second read. I'll write a full review afterwards, but right now I just want to say a bit about how the author handled blending a rich and fascinating sci-fi world with the easy read of a fast-paced thriller. Don't worry, no spoilers here.

Aaron Pogue's unique, near-future sci-fi world inspires you to want to know more about it. Usually, fantasy and sci-fi authors with this sort of fascinating setting spend a lot of time telling about it to get their readers ful
Lance
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book left me somewhat ambivalent; throughout and at the end. Don't get me wrong, my heart pounded during the intense scenes and the book was definitely a page turner - but it wasn't exactly a satisfying, pleasurable read. I was surprised by my reaction, given that I loved another book I read by Pogue (Taming Fire), and Gods Tomorrow was even more highly rated on both Amazon and Good Reads. But it felt like the inferior book - as if, in Taming Fire, Pogue was starting to warm up to being a r ...more
Jane
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a free book from BookBub, but it really needed a clearer intro to explain how everyone's lives were being recorded, and it seemed to skirt the file storage and ethical issues of recording everyone. Helps if you know something about computer tech but also helps if you don't think too deeply along the lines of how only the writers of this code are the ones able to hack it!!
Scribblegirl
For a smart woman, the main character is amazingly stupid, naive and idiotic. The technobabble frequently made no sense and was badly described/explained. Figured out the bad guy about halfway through. Not a terrible read, but could have been a lot better.
Jan
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Short, fast paced crime technothriller. Looking forward to reading the other books inthe series.
JA Garrett
This holds the distinction of being the first book I ever read on my Kindle. But enough about me.

Basic plot (spoiler free!): Katie Pratt is a recently hired FBI Agent, and newest members of a unit called Ghost Targets. In the futuristic world the author creates, a super-advanced surveillance system called Hathor watches the entire world. Originally designed to just function as something not so different from our favorite apps on our smartphones today, within years it became so good at watching e
Jackie O'sullivan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling! I knew there were good reasons not to connect myself completely to the internet every moment of every day as so many others do.
Gina
Goodreads Description- We abandoned privacy and turned databases into something like gods. They listened to our prayers. They met our needs and blessed us with new riches. They watched over us, protected us, and punished the wicked among us. We almost made a paradise.

But there were those who tried to hide from the databases’ all-seeing eye. They used their wealth or power or intellect to turn themselves into ghosts within the endless archive. For years these ghosts have used their anonymity to p
Lyle Nicholson
I think the author is good, however, there were so many plot lines that didn't seem to work, and lulls in action, that I could only put this down to a first attempt.

There is so much telling in this book. The author is trying to get across this major element called "Hathor," that watches everything. After awhile, you kind of get tired of it, and want the story to move along.

There is also this major plot element of the protagonist leaving these messages for her father. Then, in the latter part of
Rex Libris
Every so often I feel compelled to dip my toe into the detective genre. More often than not I find myself disappointed. This time was no different.

This story takes place in the not too distant future (or present for some places, such as London) where every place is under surveillance and the government can track everyone's moves. The government, of course, loves this. However, some people can "ghost" themselves, or make themselves invisible to the tracking system. The protagonist works for the
Aaron Dubin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book taking place in the not so distant future as Hathor and Hippocrates see and hear everything we do. Need a new apartment, Hathor will find one and put it on your tab. Doors will open automatically as it senses you are approaching. Need to make a call. Hathor call Dad. How about in distress, Hippocrates will know you need help and send it to you. This is the world of Gods Tomorrow and our heroine Katie Pratt. It's an intriguing and somewhat terrifying future world. The writ ...more
Charlie Powell
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read very little fiction, but I’m glad I read this book. The author sets the story in a high-tech, near-future world. The FBI-drama story-line is engaging. I found myself constantly eager to see what happens next.

At the same time, the book prompted me to think about some real issues related to the use and development of technology in our world. What is the proper role of technology? How intrusive should it be? Are the conveniences worth the loss of privacy? What spiritual implications might t
Susan
I didn't know what to expect when I picked up this book. It turns out it's a pretty decent police procedural/mystery, with just enough advanced technology built in to warrant being called science fiction. I liked the protagonist Katie Pratt and one or two of the other characters, but most of the characters weren't very well fleshed-out. What kept me interested was the story itself and the underlying questions it raised. Some of the same questions have been raised in the TV series "Person of Inte ...more
Amber
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Free ebook on Kindle but was not titled Gods Tomorrow but Surveillance.
Not a type of story I would usually read. I like mystery and thriller and scifi which this is all three rolled into one. I'm giving two stars because I'm just not sure of the main character, Katie.
It is an interesting premise and not set in the far off future but in the not so distant future. It is kinda scarey. The characters just left a bit to be desired but were still interesting to a point. Might give the second book a t
Elly Braunsroth- smisek
This is what I call a "painful read". It is based in the future following this rookie investigator as she tries to solve a murder. Sounds interesting right? But my problem is she works with all this high tech, futuristic programs. The author writes like we know what these things do and never explains things. I was lost throughout the book. I would find my mind wandering as I read. I just couldn't finish the book
Susan Otto
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably realistic and scary

We live in a technical age where internet is so readily available with all the data's collected and stored on hard drive, flash drives, are the cloud....I know that the book storyline is here now. Terrifies me what the author's writes is possible. Couldn't put the book down. Will have to get over my fright first before continuing with the series.
S. Otto
Johanna
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at this story. It begun with a struggle and I almost gave it up for being too technical. But for some reason I kept on going, wanting to read something different and this book really shocked me at how much I actually liked it.

The story moves forwards quite nicely especially after you get yourself accustomed to the future technology. The main character was very humane and I liked her.

It was a fun read and would recommend it to others too.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be surprisingly good. At first I thought it was going to be a bit slow and whiny but it really picked up and turned out to be a very interesting read. The tech angle was fresh to me and I liked how it all went down. I'm not sure if I'll read the rest of the series or not but I'm definitely glad I read the first.
Kristine Jared
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered about all your device this book will confirm them.

When newly minted FBI agent , Katie , gets thrown a simple case of murder, it becomes far more than she can handle. Enter Mr. Ghost or rather the inventor of all she once thought impenetrable. A great read for all those who believe tech has gone too far.
Gail
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I loved the whole book. Good job, author. It was a story within a story, etc. It takes you to places you love, hate and really wish you could be. Talk about space age. This goes beyond anything you can imagine. I can't wait to read the next book. Just pray that this isn't the future or we will all be in big trouble. Lol
Anton
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun book set in a very fun world -- with total surveillance by automated systems that is aimed at making like safe and convenience. The characters do come to life and I want to follow what happens with them. The plot is also believable, which is - funnily enough - important for good scifi.

I am really looking for more books in the series.
Kat
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concept, but I guess it would have seemed more original had I read it when first published. Unfortunately the subject of heavy surveillance in society (and the avoidance of), has become mainstream and negated a lot of what would have been unique story lines. Still a good read, and I'll probably pick up others in the series to see what other story lines have to offer.
Tara
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book! A classic cop action story but set in a world where there is near perfect surveillance. Thanks to technology. I absolutely loved this book. The descriptions of the technology and the implications on the real world are just familiar & believable enough to make give a lot of food for thought. Looking forward to reading more books by this author.
Richard
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was well written and the detective formula played well. The book stands on its own even though it is part of a series. I generally dislike books that end with an unresolved plot. I enjoyed this story enough that I will look for the next novel in this series.
Marti
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place in the future where no one has any secrets. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun. A young agent teems up with a seasoned agent --the type who has been there, and done that. The idea is to combat evil, which could cost them their lives.
Portia
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie and at first I didn't think I was going to like it. It was a bit confusing and slow at first, but it did pick up about half way through. It was just okay so I doubt I'll read any more in this series.
Pxipenguin
Good plot but .....

A good plot but poorly carried out. As usual the hero(ine) has the ability to shoot whereas others do not. The characters are ill defined and need work. Three stars.
Robbie
Wasn't sure I would like this one - it was a little too futuristic for me; however, the more I read the more into the story I got. There was plenty of action, good character development and a few twists that kept it interesting. I give this one 4.5 stars.
Natz
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Pleasant sci-fi book with well crafted and believable future tech. However the characters seemed too naive and I found the whole thing rather predictable. Read as kindle version (called "Surveillance")
  • Sweat
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • The Missing Link
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • Whiplash River
  • Kick (Jenkins Cycle, #1)
  • Blue Fall (The Tournament, #1)
  • The Budapest House
  • Buried Hope
  • Life, Inc.
  • Unholy Domain (PeaceMaker, #2)
  • Dead Men Kill
  • The Unforgivable Fix (Mort Grant #3)
  • Heretic (The Singularity Series, #1)
  • Fledge
  • Overkill (Paul Richter, #1)
  • The God In The Clear Rock
  • Senator
Aaron Pogue is a husband and a father of two who lives in Oklahoma City, OK. Aaron started writing at the age of ten. His first novels were high fantasy set in the rich world of the FirstKing, but he's explored mainstream thrillers, urban fantasy, and several kinds of science fiction. Author of the Dragonprince's Legacy, the Godlanders War, and the Ghost Targets series, Aaron Pogue has sold a quar ...more
More about Aaron Pogue...

Ghost Targets (4 books)
  • Expectation (Ghost Targets, #2)
  • Restraint (Ghost Targets, #3)
  • Camouflage (Ghost Targets, #4)

“he said. He was surprised his voice didn't tremble. He took some confidence from that.” 0 likes