Start by marking “Holiday Sparks” as Want to Read:

Holiday Sparks

House-sitting for her parents seemed like a good idea, until the microwave blew up and the lights went out.

Now Chloe Burke thinks upgrading the electrical system of her childhood home while they are away would make the perfect Christmas gift. Fortunately, there's an electrician in town who can get the job done by the holidays.

Scott Quinn has wanted to get his hands on the
Published December 6th 2010 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Holiday Sparks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holiday Sparks

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Holiday Sparks is a short story from the Naughty and Nice Anthology, and since each story has also been released as a short, I'll review them separately.

Chloe Burke has come home to house sit for her parents who have taken a holiday cruise. It’s been a long time since Chloe has been here, and much to her surprise the house is an accident waiting to happen. She learns this the hard way when she tries use the microwave and loses electricity to half the house. Had she found the note her mother left
Dina
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how much my enjoyment of this read was affected by the recent change in my reading time, which has been seriously reduced due to my going back to work full time, but the end result is what matters: I loved it! It was such a cute and sexy Christmas story!

Web designer Chloe Burke leaves the comfort of her condo in Boston to spend the Holidays in her small hometown in Maine so she can house-sit her childhood home while her parents are on vacation. Not every old house comes with ancient
♡Karlyn P♡
I read this as part of the anthology 'Naughty and Nice', and found this story to be the stand out winner. A great holiday romance read.

Web designer Chloe Burke returns to her small hometown in Main to house sit while her parents take a long cruise. Master electrician Scott Quinn is thrilled to get a call from his high school fantasy girl to help fix electrical problems at her parent's old house. Chloe does not remember Scott, but the attraction sizzles between these two quickly. With Chloe going
Norma
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
So I promised the husband I'd buy no more books for a while. I have a ton in the bookshelf and on my kindle that are waiting to be read. BUT, I'd heard so much about this book that I couldn't resist. What a fun book! I loved the story and the characters. As always with a novella, my complaint is that I would have liked to spend more time with them. Definitely worth the look I'll get from the hubby. And for under $3, it's a bargain for sure. :)
Ridley
This might be my favorite story of hers that I've read. The plot is properly paced for the short story length, there's great sexual tension, the characters felt like real people and it had a resolution that fits the story and the characters perfectly.
Crista
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Re-read Dec. 2012. Not quite as good as I remember, but still worth the quick read!

This was an excellent Christmas novella. Although it's very short (7 chapters), it does manage to pull off a bit of depth.

I liked this couple. The hero has been infatuated with the heroine since high school. I love books like this! I loved the humor in this book and the dialogue was quick and snappy. I finished this book in one sitting without a problem and finished it with a smile on my face.

I recommend this boo
Ruth
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet little story, with likeable characters, and a lovely ending. I really enjoyed reading it, and I ended up with one of those Ahh! cheesy grins on my face. In fact the only really bad thing I can say about this one is the cover with the Britney Spears lookalike and 18 year-old bloke behind her.
Carrie
I sat down and read this with a cup of tea and a shortbread cookie, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. A sweet, romantic holiday story with decent character development.

(Okay, I lied. I sat with a cup of decaf coffee and stale banana bread. But the tea and shortbread sounds so much more sophisticated! :::sigh:::)

ETA 8/6/13
Enjoyed it on audio. Good narrator.
Kristen
4 to 41/2 stars

A wonderfully sweet and moderately steamy Christmasy novella. I loved it!

Note: This book is part of the Christmas anthology Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection.
MountainKat
12.13.12
This was a very sweet holiday story. I liked both Chloe and Scott and thought they fit together well. I really enjoy the way Shannon Stacey writes, it just works for me.

11.21.13
Reread in audio. Loved it again and the audio version was good too!
Miss Kim
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, contemporary, e-book
What a hot little story. I only wish it was longer. Would have loved to get to know Chloe and Scott more.
Sharon Mariampillai
This was an alright read. I thought that there was no much to the story, which made it kind of boring to read. Also, I thought the romance was lacking. I thought the characters were okay. I did not love them nor dislike them. I can’t wait to see how her series turn out. I hope I enjoy them more. Overall, an okay read.
Kelly
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one was cute. Popular girl returns home and finds someone who captures her interest. I liked that Scott had been shy and quiet back in high school and he'd found his path since and blossomed. So to speak. I liked that Chloe wasn't the typical mean type of popular girl, they simply ran in different circles and their paths rarely crossed back then.

Now that they have...sparks are a flyin'!

There's banter. There's sexy times. There's banter during the sexy times. And there's a dog. *thumbs
Judi
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Looking for a little holiday read to get you in the Christmas spirit? Well then look no further than Holiday Sparks from Carina Press by Shannon Stacey because it is the perfect holiday stocking stuffer for your E-reader.

I’ve read three books by Shannon Stacey this year and each one has delivered on the laughs, making me smile from ear to ear, great banter between the main characters and always a great, feel good story. My first Shannon Stacey read, Exclusively Yours is one of my favorite reads
Malinda
3.5-4 stars

This was a cute short story. I really liked Chloe and Scott and enjoyed their story.

Chloe is a web designer that lives in Boston. She's back home for a few weeks watching her parents house in her home town while they're on a cruise. When she gets there the first thing that happens is she blows a fuse and takes out half the power in the house. When she looks for a breaker box she finds old, decrepit wiring and so she calls an electrician.

Scott is the local electrician and a good guy. H
Nicole
Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: December 6th
How I got this book: NatGalley

Chloe is house-sitting for her parents when she inadvertently blows a fuse she had never seen before. She calls the local electrician, and when more sparks begin to fly at her first glimpse of him, she decides to do a whole electrical re-wiring of her parents house as a Christmas gift.

Scott has had a huge crush on Chloe for as long as he can remember, and when the chance comes to spend almost every day with her, he j
Kaetrin
I read this novella in the Naughty and Nice anthology when it first came out (scroll down a bit to see the brief reviews). Sometimes when I can’t decide what to listen to next a novella length story is low risk – this one was only a couple hours long so the time investment was small. And, I had fond memories of the story. Chloe Burke is a web designer who lives in Boston but has come back to her small Maine hometown ot housesit for her parents in the weeks before Christmas. Electrical problems l ...more
Danielle
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is my first Shannon Stacey story and I loved it! It was perfect for getting me into the holiday season.

Chloe Burke returned to the small town in Maine where she grew up to house sit while her parents are on a cruise. After having some electrical problems, she contacts a local electrician, who happens to be a hunky former classmate she couldn’t remember. Scott Quinn had always had a crush on Chloe in school, but back then he wasn’t much to look at, and she was one of the cool kids. Chloe dec
Shari
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Chloe Burke is house-sitting for her parents over the holidays while her parents go on a three week cruise. Upon arriving, she immediately blows a fuse warming up coffee. Attempting to through the breaker switch, she realizes that electrical system in this old house is, well plain old and a fire hazard. Searching through the phone book, she finds an electricians number and calls right away to get the fuse replaced.

Scott Quinn is a local electrician, having lived in town all of his life. Chloe Bu
Danielle
4.5 Stars

*Got this for free on Audible from their Christmas in July discount*

Considering it was free, I didn't expect that much from it. I knew it was going to be short (3.5 hours I think). But I was pleasantly surprised! The characters were so adorable and cute together. I loved how she was kind of his 'dream girl', which I thought was super cute.

Chloe Burke is house sitting for her parents, while they are on a cruise. Since her father is one of those 'do-it-yourself' kind of guys (but never a
Melissa
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Shannon Stacey (and if you're not, you're totally missing out. She's a fav contemporary author! Auto buy!) then you'll be thrilled to know this might be a short story, but it's packed with her trade mark tongue in cheek humor, emanates emotion with every page, and was just an all around great read.
This was a reread for me ~ I'd read it last year, but I totally enjoyed it again.
Chloe & Scott decide they'll just have a holiday fling, but they just genuinely like and enjoy o
Michelle K
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
Really liked it!

Chloe Burke returns to her small hometown to house sit while her parents take a long cruise during Christmas. She quickly learns that her parents house is falling apart and is in need of repair. Especially the electical wiring. She blows a fuse after using the microwave minutes after arriving for her 3 week stay.

Scott Quinn who owns his own electical company is thrilled to get a call from his high school fantasy girl to help fix electrical problems. Almost immediatly there is "s
Taryn Elliott
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
After a little tweet from Angela James about how she couldn't put Shannon Stacey's book down I decided to give her another try. I wasn't completely sold on her when I tried her 2nd book, but figured hey...it's a short one. Ill give her another try.

I'm glad I did.

This was a very sweet story. And with all the erotic and thrillers I've been reading lately it was a welcome change. I read it well into the night last night after already being up LATE with my crit partner. It was well worth it though.
Thenia
Chloe is house-sitting for her parents while they're away shortly before Christmas, when she realizes that their wiring is in serious need of repairs.

Deciding to have everything fixed before their return, she calls their electrician, who turns out to be an old high school classmate who's had a crush on her for ages.

Scott has changed a lot since his high school days and now the chemistry between them is not one sided anymore.

Sparks fly between them and they succumb to their attraction, expecting
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Cute story. Stand-alone. Hot electrician, used to be the school's geek back in high school. The cheerleader he used to drool over is back in town to spend Christmas with her parents, and is waiting at their house for them to come home from vacation. While there she discovers their house needs a major electrical upgrade and calls Scott in from the phone book. She can't remember him, because obviously he has changed and is now a hottie. He still drools over her. They decide to have a holiday fling ...more
Wminbc
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sparks start flying when Chloe returns home for the Christmas holidays to watch over her parent’s house only to blow up the electrical panel and call in electrician, Scott Quinn. Scott is none other than the guy that pined for Chloe Burke all through high school. But things have changed since then; Scott is now a successful business owner and one hot guy. The added muscle and sex appeal are hard to ignore as Chloe tries to work while Scott re-wires her folk’s home and her heart. This is one roma ...more
Shannon

The Characters

Chloe Burke

Scott Quinn

The Story

It was nice to see a book where the man made a complete physical overhaul instead of the woman. Chloe and Scott are cute together. Though most of the book they were in their own little bubble, I’d love to see how their relationship plays out when they take it out to the real world.

The Random Thoughts

I didn’t really care for the way the narrator did Scott’s voice.

4 Stars
Sheryl
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Much better Ms. Stacey! After the farce that was Forever Again, i looked for another of your stories that i hadn't read, just to remind myself what a awesome writer you are. This little read was perfect! It was funny as; i kept giggling the whole way through, it was sweet and most importantly, it still had some hot, sexual tension which translated to some red-hot sex!
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Very short but steamy and cute with good chemistry! I really enjoyed it and would have loved it as a slightly longer book with more development; I could really see the potential. I loved Chloe and Scott and the small town setting. And Scott's dog was adorable too! If you're looking for a fun, sexy Christmas novella this is a great one to pick up.
  • Believe
  • Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection
  • It's Not Christmas Without You (Holloway, #1)
  • All She Wants for Christmas (Kent Brothers, #1)
  • This Time Next Year
  • Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1)
  • Coin Operated (Dirty Laundry, #1)
  • Hunk for the Holidays (Hunk for the Holidays, #1)
  • All I Want For Christmas
  • Under the Mistletoe (Lucky Harbor, #6.5)
  • Mine at Midnight
  • Holiday Hideout
  • Holiday Bound
  • Breath on Embers
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
  • Undead Sublet (Half-Moon Hollow, #2.5)
  • One Perfect Night
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shannon Stacey lives with her husband and two sons in New England, where her favorite activities are writing romance and really random tweets when she’s not riding her ATV. She loves mud, books, football & watching way too much TV.
“He gave her a slow but somehow very naughty smile. “Only very bad girls lie to their mothers.” 1 likes
“I was working up the courage to knock.” “I don’t look that bad in the morning.” “It’s pretty early. I wasn’t sure you’d be up.” 1 likes