Start by marking “Ernie Pyle in England” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ernie Pyle in England

Ernie Pyle

Ernie Pyle in England

Ernie Pyle was one of America's most popular newspaper columnists. Late in 1940, he went to England to observe and write about the Blitz. Pyle wrote about daily life and the scenes and people he encountered. His columns from December 1940 to March 1941 were compiled in this volume.
Hardcover, First, 228 pages
Published 1941 by Robert M. McBride & Company

To ask other readers questions about Ernie Pyle in England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ernie Pyle in England

Steve
Pyle was in England from November 1940 until March 1941, reporting on the Blitz. The book is comprised of Pyle's columns from that time. None of the columns run longer than 6 pages, and usually much shorter. Pyle's easy going voice (and acute eye) dominates. At times he seems almost overwhelmed by the damage caused by the German bombing (especially at Coventry and Bristol), but he's even more impressed the British spirit to resist. There are couple of instances when his column turned into propag ...more
Mary
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having just read a military history of he Battle of Britain, I was looking for a civilian companion piece and had the good luck to come upon this book on Amazon (and for 99 cents on the Kindle to boot!). In a series of straightforward, down-to-earth, self-deprecating and charming dispatches from all over England, Pyle takes the reader on nighttime walks through the blacked-out streets of London, evenings spent deep under London in bomb shelters and up above in the comparative luxury of The Stran ...more
Becky
First sentence: A small voice came in the night and said, “Go.” And when I put it up to the boss he leaned back in his chair and said, “Go.” And when I sat alone with my so-called conscience and asked it what to do, it pointed and said, “Go.” So I’m on my way to London.

Premise/plot: Ernie Pyle in England was first published in 1941. It gathers together Ernie Pyle's newspaper columns from his time--three or so months--in England (and Ireland and Scotland). (He was an American journalist.) At the
Nancy
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I've always been interested in Ernie Pyle since I first saw Burgess Meredith play him in the movie "The Story of GI Joe." My father told me about how everyone read his dispatches from the front. This book contains the dispatches he wrote while traveling around England, Scotland, and Wales observing how the British were, both as a nation and as individuals, handling the constant bombardment from German planes (and heavy artillery across the Channel aimed at Dover) and preparing for the potential ...more
David Dennington
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book partly because I'm a Londoner who grew up and played on the bombed out ruins of the city as a child. I liked Ernie Pyle's descriptions, his warm character shined through. I gave the book five stars not only because it was so readable, but for the tremendous effort he put into it--crossing the dangerous Atlantic to England, arriving in Lisbon, and then braving Hitler's bombs and traveling around England Scotland and Wales inspecting the damage and meeting th ...more
Book Him Danno
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ernie Pyle was a well published newspaper correspondent prior to and during WWII. He went to England in late 1940 and left in early 1941. His purpose was to report on how the average English person was enduring the war and near nightly bombing by the Germans. This book is composed of the articles he wrote during his trip and was first published in 1941. These articles give a clear understanding of the times and conditions under which they survived. I found the book to be easy reading and truly i ...more
Mikey B.
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A straight-forward and moving account of London and all of the British Isles when she stood alone in 1941 against Nazi Germany. This was written before the attack on the Soviet Union in June 1941.

Pyle is an unassuming writer who always brings heart and humanity to his subject matter. He is a first rate journalist who truly knows the meaning of listening, observing and absorbing. The mood and fortitude of the English people is brilliantly evoked at this critical moment in history.
lc
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jsmacclellan
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People living everyday in the midst of war - how England reacted, and pulled together in the midst of the unthinkable. Ernie Pyle shows us the most ordinary details, and they add up to a picture that feels authentic. He describes not the epic heroes - but the everyday ones, which Mr. Pyle says have it harder, because their tasks have to be completed over and over more than a thousand times.
Patricia Mann
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Pyle had a wonderful way of making you care about every single individual he wrote about. A very engaging read about what it was like during the blitz Hitler carried out on Britain to break their spirit, but he never did. Also makes you think about what it would be like if we had bombs dropping on our houses and around our communities. Let's hope it never happens.
Lisa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I liked this book very much. I suggested it to my husband, history buff and Ernie Pyle fan, and he suggested it to me, reader of great stories. We were both entertained and informed and got equal satisfaction from it.
Lori Hendrix
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was nice to read first hand accounts of Pyle's experiences during the Blitz in Great Britain. I've read fictional accounts before, but this book included information I'd never heard and made me want to learn more.
DeWayne Todd
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! This compilation of first hand correspondence from Ernie Pyle during the blitz is insightful, inspiring and emotional. A great time locked view of history. Real people. Real moments. “Dear Hitler - Thanks for the criticism. Yours, Low.”
Steven England
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernie Pyle

Was a very interesting take on wartime in the UK, provided a very ‘human’ account of how day to day life was. As an ex-pat abroad, it makes me proud of the way the British got through the darkest of times.
Jeff G
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read of his reports (Dec 1940 - March 1941) during his trip to England during the bombings of London. Delightful, personable writing style.
Peter J.
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shows why Ernie Pyle became a legend

His easy grace with words is remarkable. This book is for anyone fascinated by WW2. His analysis was spot on.
Joey
I really liked this one!
Max
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!

Wonderful insight into the British people before America's entry into the war. Pyle's descriptions are mesmerizing. A true craftsman who died doing what he loved and did his job well.
Rachel
Ernie Pyle was a Pulitzer Prize winning war correspondent. He spent much of WWII among US troops in both European and Pacific Theatres. Sadly, he was killed by a Japanese machine gunner off Okinawa in 1945. Before being stationed with the military, he spent time in England during the blitz. This book is a compilation of the articles he wrote while in England and is a fascinating first hand account of what life on the British homefront was like. If you have any interest in what it was like to liv ...more
Jim Mullin
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A definitive source material for WW 2 historians. Ernie Pyles writing is recognized as some of the best coming from a "You are there" reality copy emanating from WW 2.
colin jones
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book

I really enjoyed this book Ernie Pyle wrote it in a way that was informative but not depressive. It made me proud our country .
Vikas Datta
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely evocative.. a classic of journalism.
Tom
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought it provided an interesting insight into how the people survived the bombing - written, of course, in Pyle's excellent style.
Barb
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy Ernie Pyle's writing style. He reports first-hand on his observations in London prior to America's entering WWII.
virginia buckles
Peter A. Matassa
Feb 14, 2017

• Ernie Pyle's War: America's Eyewitness to World War II
  • The Loveliness Of Christ
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • The Longest Night: The Bombing of London on May 10, 1941
  • They Have Their Exits: The Best-Selling Escape Memoirs of World War Two
  • Fashion on the Ration: Style in the Second World War
  • Teddy Suhren, Ace of Aces: Memoirs of a U-Boat Rebel
  • Grace in Practice: A Theology of Everyday Life
  • Killing the Bismarck: Destroying the Pride of Hitler's Fleet
  • Up Front
  • Joe Rochefort's War: The Odyssey of the Codebreaker Who Outwitted Yamamoto at Midway
  • Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory
  • Reporting World War II Vol. 1: American Journalism 1938-1944
  • Eyewitness to History: World War II
  • Night Fighter over Germany: Flying Beaufighters and Mosquitoes in World War 2
  • Burn After Reading: The Espionage History of World War II
  • The German Aces Speak II: World War II Through the Eyes of Four More of the Luftwaffe's Most Important Commanders
  • Guns of Thunder (Faith and Freedom #1)
Ernest Taylor Pyle was an American journalist who wrote as a roving correspondent for the Scripps Howard newspaper chain from 1935 until his death in combat during World War II. He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1944.

His articles, about the out-of-the-way places he visited and the people who lived there, were written in a folksy style, much like a personal letter to a friend. He enjoyed a following in
“A bombed building looks like something you have seen before — it looks as though a hurricane had struck. But the sight of thousands of poor, opportunityless people lying in weird positions against cold steel, with all their clothes on, hunched up in blankets, lights shining in their eyes, breathing fetid air — lying there far underground like rabbits, not fighting, not even angry; just helpless, scourged, weakly waiting for the release of another dawn — that, I tell you, is life without redemption.” 0 likes