Start by marking “Elfquest The Hidden Years” as Want to Read:
Elfquest The Hidden Years

Elfquest The Hidden Years (Elfquest #8.1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  942 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A quintet of lavishly illustrated short stories that fills the gaps in the long history of the Wolfrider elves. Share the ill-omened birth of Skywise the Stargazer. Feel the heat of the tempest as the grown-up chief's daughter Ember strives for her own freedom. Experience the joys and sorrows of a mortal human cub growing up among the Wolfriders... and more
Published June 1st 1993 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published March 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Elfquest The Hidden Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elfquest The Hidden Years

Nancy
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
My review (on just "Little Patch") can be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/05/2...

The series ElfQuest by Wendy & Richard Pini is what first brought me into the comics/graphic novels world years ago. I was introduced to the series by my high school boyfriend (now my husband ♥) and I was enthralled. The Wolfrider saga was complex with a multi-generational elf tribe and long running storylines. The art is outstanding with such beauty and detail, and I bought the books for year
Lisa Feld
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of issues 1-5 of Hidden Years, and they're mostly one-shots, little vignettes from various points in the Elfquest continuity. The art is absolutely, jaw-droppingly stunning--Wendy Pini is at her best in terms of the grace, motion, and expressiveness of the characters, and instead of the usual heavy inking (many of the early comics were meant for black and white, with color added only in later printings), the inks here are minimal, with gorgeous color adding light and life to ...more
Sean Dunn
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Hello readers!
I couldn't finish such an undertaking as 'The Hidden Years' without pointing out this is no Trade Paperback, with 4 or 6 standard issues grouped together... this is the entire Hidden Years storyline comprised of 29 issues.
When I set out to read all of ElfQuest, I had no understanding of how the story would work. I knew there was some time-travel stuff, as well as the Tribe being split up. I was actually pretty worried that it would be disjointed, and incohesive. Thankfully, I could
Leelan
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is the best collection of stories from one of the best graphic series ever drawn or written. One story stands out, "Little Patch", in which one of the immortal elves adopts an abandoned human child. Seeing this ever-young elfin woman watch her mortal son from from infant to child to adult to dying old man just pulls at your heart. You share her joy and pain through it all. Pini's art wonderfully tells the story in all its sweetness and pain.
Jewels
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was a little reticent at first, because this set of comics weren't drawn by Wendy. However, I could see hints and bits here and there that made it worthwhile in the art. Besides, the story was awesome and I am still a bit mystified by Tier. It jumps to black and white towards the end but it's not a harsh change; rather it harkens back to the days when the Pinis first set out on the journey that became ElfQuest. This is an awesome continuation of that journey.
BavarianWolf
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was when Wendy came back to do the art in her comic and for me that is the first reasons I got into Elfquest was the art. This book is a collection of a few of the comics that fill in some gaps from BOOK 8 in the original series.

The first story in the book is about my favorite elf Strongbow
Lafcadio
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Martha
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Colleen
" 'Stop! Danger!' Oh, my good cub! He freezes and falls silent as death." "He'll neither move nor speak 'til mother says all is safe." "They might be his own cubs, those who bind him, bless him and leave him there for the wolves." "I can't blame them."
Wai'ala
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
All time one of my top favorites in the EQ series. Several short stories that are vital for the overall storyline. Many of the stories compiled in this book are sad and heart wrenching, but beautifully told and illustrated like only the Pini's could do. A MUST Read!
Canita
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Getting a peek into some of the "untold" stories in the Elfquest saga is a treat. As a HUGE fan of Nightfall and Redlance, reading the story of their daughter's motherhood is a treat. Wendy Pini is one of the most talented artists around!
Shira
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part of my great ElfQuest reread. So far I think this is the weakest of the bunch, you could really see the growing pains with new artists and authors struggling to find their footing.
Michelle
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply, one of the most beautiful graphic novels you will ever see. Truly inspiring. I first read these back in the 90s and to this day they remain a favorite.
Hykel
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This was a nostalgic read. These were the comic books we had in my house when I was a kid. I'm not much for graphic novels, but I did manage to remain interested enough in this one to finish.
Madeline
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
By far the most beautifully colored of Wendy's books. Also contains some of the best short stories.
Stephanie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I don't remember liking this one as much as the rest of the set. I guess maybe it was because I was looking forward to more books, and this just didn't hit my expectations.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic blend of fantasy and comics. Incredible characters and story line. Highly recommended
Susan
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
collects books 1-5 of the Hidden Years series.

Tyleet's awesome! I named a dog I had after her. Healer's gift was so apropos
Ken-ichi
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, elves, escape, comics
This collection is one of the finest in the series, and might be my gold standard for great art in comics.
Katie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah... so many good nuggets. The story of Little Patch...
Deanna Ingebrigtsen-Hardin
Ryan Selby
rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2012
  • The Big ElfQuest Gatherum
  • Against the Wind (Elfquest: The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #4)
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • Animal Crackers
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries, Vol. 1 (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #1)
  • Kabuki, Vol. 4: Skin Deep
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams (Girl Genius, #4)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • The Dark Gods (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #5)
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Wire Mothers & Inanimate Arms: Harry Harlow and the Science of Love
Wendy Pini is one-half of a husband and wife team with Richard Pini that created, most notably, the Elfquest series.

Wendy was born in California and adopted into the Fletcher Family in Santa Clara County. Early on, she developed as an artist and was the illustrator of her high school year book. She submitted samples of her artwork to Marvel Comics at 17 that were rejected.

Pini attended Pitzer Coll
More about Wendy Pini

Elfquest (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Fire and Flight (ElfQuest #1)
  • ElfQuest 2: The Forbidden Grove
  • The Complete Elfquest: Book 3: Captives of Blue Mountain (Elfquest #3)
  • Elfquest Book #04: Quest's End
  • Siege at Blue Mountain: Book Five in the Elfquest Graphic Novel Series
  • ElfQuest:  The Secret of Two-Edge (Siege at Blue Mountain part 2)
  • The Cry from Beyond (ElfQuest #7)
  • Elfquest Graphic Novel 8: Kings of the Broken Wheel
  • Dreamtime (ElfQuest Reader's Collection, #8a)
  • In All But Blood (ElfQuest Reader's Collection, #8b)