Start by marking “What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)” as Want to Read:
What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)

What to Expect the First Year

(What to Expect)

Some things about babies, happily, will never change. They still arrive warm, cuddly, soft, and smelling impossibly sweet. But how moms and dads care for their brand-new bundles of baby joy has changed—and now, so has the new-baby bible.

Announcing the completely revised third edition of What to Expect the First Year. With over 10.5 million copies in print, First Year is
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 832 pages
Published October 16th 2003 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about What to Expect the First Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Expect the First Year

(_.- Jared -._) ₪ Book Nerd ₪
Babies are definitely scary your first time. I mean there's this new little life that's counting on you get things right and if you screw it up they might die! No pressure though, right? Thank God our child came with instructions. Amazon claims that the book was published just like any other book but I swear it must have been hidden somewhere in the placenta. Because shortly after the birth of our baby, it appeared out of nowhere and it never left my wife's side until she finished it. The book w ...more
Chad Warner
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: What to Expect When You're Expecting
I read this because I liked What to Expect When You're Expecting. I liked this one even better. It's packed with facts and practical advice. As a first-time dad, I found it especially useful.

The chapters on illness and first aid are overwhelming; I quickly gave up on trying to take notes. I skimmed the chapters to become aware of what could happen, but I'd rather rely on advice from the pediatrician or medical staff in the event of serious sickness or injury.

I found the section on baby sign lang
Kathrynn
Another manual that should come home from the hospital with the newborn! I devoured this book and have a lot of highlights! A must have for new moms and dads. Nicely laid out.

I'm glad I got this book out of the shelf to add to GRs. I found a Mother's Day card to me inside it from my Grandmother! God rest her soul.
Ashley Buhrke
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: First Time Mommys
Actual Rating: 3.75/5

A great guide to the ever growing unstable wet squish that is your baby!

I didn't find this book as important as the first one (which was my savoir having known NOTHING about babies!), though it is still very well written. It's incredibly informative and a great guide for following the development of your baby during his first year of life.

My rating isn't indicating anything wrong with this book. There's nothing wrong. It's perfect. But I found it to be more of a fun guide -
Carrie
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I will preface my review by saying that, apparently, my parenting style is referred to as "Attachment Parenting" which I understand is an institutional term for "Damn Hippie". I simply do what feels natural and right for me and my baby. I have learned to trust my baby, listen to her pediatrician (with a discerning ear), and phooey on anyone that tells me I HAVE to do X-Y-Z to make sure she scores high on the S-A-T. (seriously, if she doesn't eat solids at 120 days old, she will still learn to ...more
Kelly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A straightforward survey of child development during a baby’s first year written largely in a question and answer style. I especially appreciated the “Developmental Milestones” section (to see what the average baby should be doing per month) and the “Baby Basics at a Glance” boxes (to see what each month of your baby’s first year should look like in regards to sleeping, eating, and playing). Like What to Expect When You’re Expecting, I didn’t read this cover to cover but only read the sections w ...more
Tracy
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is good, and it's definitely the most popular baby guide. But, there are other books that are better, like the one from the American Academy of Pediatricians, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child. I felt this book included too many topics that were just hype. It also covers topics in an inflammatory way, and then more calmly states the actual facts at the very end of a topic.

For instance, it lists a number of foods not to give your child the first or even second year. I was starting t
Alicia Bayer
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I dislike this whole series of books. The author spends too much time making her beliefs sound like facts in some areas (like against co-sleeping and for "crying it out") and then pandering to both sides (like bottle feeders and breastfeeders) in other areas in an obvious attempt to sacrifice the best baby advice for coddling to readers who may not have gone the path that's best for baby and don't want to feel bad about it. The advice is more along the lines of my mother's generation than the cu ...more
Christina
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Very unhelpful and I found it to be a bit biased or maybe just one-sided. She definitely has opinions so if that is what you're looking for maybe you'll like it. I also hated the way it was organized by month rather than by topic. If your baby isn't on the exact same path as she expects them to be then you will have to leaf through looking for the info you want. Also the Q&A sections of each chapter are strange. I didn't really find any useful information in the book. I don't know if there a ...more
Amanda Coak
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Babies don't come with instruction manuals, but if they did, it would probably be this book - which is a beast of a read filled with monthly data/milestones to expect, medical information, and tons of feeding advice. I was overwhelmed reading it, but I'm glad I have it on hand for the future. I also realized that I KNOW NOTHING as a new parent AND WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO?!, but at least there are books like these that provide tons of important info.
Tessie
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good basic overview that shows both sides of parenting traits, even if it is slightly biased towards one side.
Smita Jha
I think like a lot of people who loved "What to Expect when you're Expecting' I have mixed feelings about this book.

It was helpful and had a lot of useful information organized by age. But I think the first year is more about time ranges for things to happen and some specific issues just occupy more of your time. I spent half my time trying to figure out nutrition for the baby (breastfeeding and then solids) and then dealing with teething. Colic wasn't much fun either. The development stuff was
Anne
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some basic information that's useful, and tables for common OTC drugs based on weight and type of suspension at the back that are great for when internet access is out and you need to look them up. And this book helped teach my husband how to change a diaper.

However, some of the information is just not great. I would recommend skipping the whole section on breastfeeding and reading some better books on it instead. The growth, eating, sleep, and sibling sections have been spectacula
Courtney Hatch
Great resource just like the other "What to Expect..." books. The library was out of copies in English, so I got some nice and needed Spanish practice with this one which was fun to learn some medical/baby terms I didn't know. Anyway. I liked that the chapters never said "this month your baby will..." because all babies are so different. I'm glad that the book makes an effort to acknowledge all the different ways children develop.
Meghan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let's be honest - I've only read through the "first month" chapter, but I feel like I'll always be coming back to this book to read and reread. And it's not going to sit on my "currently reading" book forever!

Things I like so far: the page with all the milestones and the step-by-step instructions on swaddling, changing diapers, nursing, etc. I'm sure there's more, but I'm in cram mode and I forget!!
Adriana
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phew! This is a fantastic book but I am so glad to be done with it and move on to another book. It is incredibly long but that is just because it is so thorough! I just love this series! Any question you can think to ask about parenting is usually covered in these books. This will be a great reference book once our son comes into the picture!
Ann Sosnowski
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I know this book (and other baby books) can be controversial. While I didn't agree with all the advice, the book was a great companion to the first year of my son's life and understanding his growth and what to look forward to. Great resources in here especially for health, food and engagement/play.
Megan
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book often made me feel like the worst parent in the world. It is very single-sided about most parenting stlyes that my husband and I are practicing, such as co-sleeping. If you are approaching parenting in a very loving and nurturing manner, I do not recommend that you read this book.
Amy Alice
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Did not like the tone of this. And when I read that you shouldn't buy your baby yellow or green as a gender neutral option "because many babies can't pull off those tones" I was out.
Kate
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I need a research based infant development book that cites studies. I don't believe anything. Sigh
Jaclyn Harrison
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the month-to-month chapters. I also like that she lists milestones by the percentage of children that reach them by that age (90%, 75%, 50%, and 25%).
Jason Strayer
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baby: the owner's manual. It's a massive tome -- and of course I wouldn't expect anyone but me to read it cover to cover -- but the material is indexed and organized chronologically, so it is accessible to the stressed out parent. If you have a question in month four about what to buy your infant in the toy department, this book has the answer. For those competitive types, the handy chart of development milestones starting on page 106 will help you determine if your little one is already getting ...more
Sandra
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has been invaluable to me this first year of parenting. It gave me a helpful guideline for what to look out for and answered my silly developmental questions when I couldn't trust the Internet and felt too stupid to call the pediatrician.
Jennifer B.
Overall a pretty useful guide. Definitely repeats itself a lot, but it's quite complete. Definitely gives one an appreciation for everything parents (especially mothers) go through that first year, and the babies, too!
Sara Crocoll Smith
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
An incredibly helpful reference guide. I will keep it on hand to consult as needed!
Kerry
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s a good framework for things to know in the first year. It’s not totally comprehensive, but it gave me a good foundation of things to discuss with my pediatrician and doctors.
Shelly
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. Lots of good info! A little overwhelming at times, but a great resource to have. Probably would have given it a four, but the chapters were sometimes set up randomly at times.
Lauren
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a whole year to get through this book! Ha. I did find it helpful to read it month but month to check that baby was on track with sleeping and eating. Might even get the second year book as a new resource.
Sonia Nasmith
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book even more than the classic What to Expect While You’re Expecting. I think it was because there were a lot more surprises, questions, doubts and fears when the little guy actually joined us! The reason I gave it a rare (for me) 5 star rating was for 2 main reasons:

1. how it is organized. It is organized month by month so you can read as your child grows over the first year. Each month touches on several very relevant issues pertaining to the child at that age — developmental m
Sera
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: New Parents
Shelves: parenting, own
Overall, a useful book but there are some organizational problems with it. Nothing major, though. I'm likely to purchase the next book in this series, because it gives nice examples of interactive activities that you can do with your child to work on development. Plus, it has recipes for those of us who like to make our own baby food, and it has FAQ throughout that in some instances, provides very useful and detailed information.

I read the Sears book in conjunction with this one, and I found thi
What to Expect the first year 5 27 Dec 13, 2018 12:47PM

• Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • A Child is Born
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • Baby and Child Care
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care
  • Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • The Complete Book of Breastfeeding
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
Heidi Murkoff is the author of the What to Expect® series and author of Eating Well When You're Expecting, The What to Expect Pregnancy Journal & Organizer, What to Expect the First Year, The What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook, and the What to Expect Kids series from HarperCollins. Her interactive website is www.whattoexpect.com, and she lives with her family in Los Angeles, California.

What to Expect (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • What to Expect at Bedtime
  • What to Expect Gift Set
  • What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook
  • What To Expect Pregnancy Planner
“Kids who know they’re cared for and cared about have fewer behavioral problems and stronger relationships. •” 0 likes
“The following houseplants are poisonous, some in very small doses: Dumb cane, English ivy, foxglove, hyacinth bulbs (and leaves and flowers in quantity), hydrangea, iris rootstalk and rhizome, lily of the valley, philodendron, Jerusalem cherry. Outdoor plants that are poisonous include: Azalea, rhododendron, caladium, daffodil and narcissus bulbs, daphne, English ivy, foxglove, hyacinth bulbs (and leaves and flowers in quantity), hydrangea, iris rootstalk and rhizome, Japanese yew seeds and leaves, larkspur, laurel, lily of the valley, morning glory seeds, oleander, privet, rhubarb leaves, sweet peas (especially the “peas,” which are the seeds), tomato plant leaves, wisteria pods and seeds, yews. Holiday favorites holly and mistletoe, and to a lesser extent, poinsettia (which is irritating but not poisonous), are also on the danger list.” 0 likes