Start by marking “ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword” as Want to Read:
ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword

ElfQuest: The Searcher and the Sword

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  451 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Led by Cutter, the elfin Wofriders have experienced equal parts truimph and tragedy, loss and gain. Now, the elves must adapt to a world without the Troll smith, who forged their weapons and tools. Two quests, two heroes who will change the Wolfrider's way forever! Age 12+.
Published May 1st 2005 by Elfquest (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about ElfQuest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ElfQuest

Mauri
The human tribal cultures based on insects were...weird and not as well done as I would expected based on Pini's previous work. Shuna's tale was saved from utter unoriginality by shape-changing Kimo and I'mnotexactlysurewhyheishere!Dart.

It was nice to have an update for the Wolfriders, especially Strongbow and Moonshade's part, but in the confusing tangle of stories after the war to restore the palace, we seem to have lost track of a few people. With Ahdri's fate redecided, where is Windkin? Now
Ian
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The_Mad_Swede
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy, 2012
So, I finally caught up with reading the Pini's ElfQuest tale from 2004, and I really enjoyed it.

Granted that I felt a little bit out of the loop — there seems to be a lot of story in the gap between this volume and Rogue's Challenge from way back when, which (at least to my knowledge) was the last full Pini production on ElfQuest before this volume — but it is a good story and very nicely framed. At the centre of it all is Shuna, a human woman who has been adopted by the Woldriders (who are no
Jenevieve
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Review first published on My Blog.

The story of Shuana after escaping with the elves when the regained the shards of the Palace and her trying to integrate more into human life after several years with the Wolfriders. It also follows Treestump as he finds an abandoned troll lair with the forges and means to make metal weapons there and becomes obsessed with learning those secrets.

As always, the artwork is exquisite and the story engaging. I love how the stories reflect what is going on with soci
C.E. Murphy
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Huh. I bought this out of loyalty to ElfQuest, and barely read it. But with new ElfQuest being featured on BoingBoing now, and telling stories involving the characters from this GN, I had to go back and really read it.

It's not bad. It's nowhere near my favorite story, but there are bits that are inspired, bits that bring me straight back to the passionate teen love I had for EQ. It also raises a question straight off about the circularity of the ElfQuest timeline, and of course I hope THE FINAL
Logan
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I loved the original Elfquest comics when I was a kid, but never got into all the sequels and spin-off series until now. I'm happy to see that the art hasn't changed much, nor have the elves, unless both are slightly more mature. But I didn't feel that this book was as dark as the original story, even though it did deal with the issue of spousal abuse. It feels a little like the art has been changed to address a younger reader, even if the storyline is aimed a little older. Nevertheless, a grati ...more
Kristina
I picked this up from the library when I saw it because I loved ElfQuest as a kid and the characters have always stuck with me.

This felt different though. Maybe I'm older, maybe it was mainly that it followed a human that lived with the elves for a while. Either way... it didn't feel like the old comics. It was an okay story overall though, but if the library has them, I think I'll just go look for the old stories.
Jeff
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good standalone story. This is my reintroduction to ElfQuest and while I know there are a ton of stories written prior to this, I didn't feel lost at all in the story or with the characters. A nice introduction or a oneoff for anyone just wanting to get an idea as to what ElfQuest is basically about.
diane
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Just filling in some of my Elfquest gaps - it's all online for the reading! Fun and odd - a human child of the Wolfriders, Treestump becomes smith... things evolve.
Victoria
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved this series as a kid, so I picked this up when I saw it at the library. Seems like I missed a lot in the last few years, and although I loved the artwork, the story was blah.
Rob Pereira
Kind of boring almost sounded biblical
Mervi
Jul 25, 2015
Happily Mortal
Apr 03, 2012
Nicola
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2012
Cat Skyfire
Jul 25, 2013
Alaina
Aug 25, 2011
  • The Big ElfQuest Gatherum
  • Against the Wind (Elfquest: The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #4)
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 4: The Hypothetical Woman
  • Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 3: Strange Visitors from Another Century
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
  • Showcase Presents: Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • Infinite Crisis Companion
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)
  • Rann-Thanagar War
Wendy Pini is one-half of a husband and wife team with Richard Pini that created, most notably, the Elfquest series.

Wendy was born in California and adopted into the Fletcher Family in Santa Clara County. Early on, she developed as an artist and was the illustrator of her high school year book. She submitted samples of her artwork to Marvel Comics at 17 that were rejected.

Pini attended Pitzer Coll
More about Wendy Pini

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)