Start by marking “Strength to Love” as Want to Read:
Strength to Love

Strength to Love

4.6  ·  Rating details ·  1,870 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
This is a collection of classic sermons preached by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Paperback, Large Print, 273 pages
Published April 30th 1996 by Christian Large Print (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Strength to Love, please sign up.

Mel Foster This book doesn't get the attention it deserves. I was in Atlanta this January at the MLKJ National Historic Site and this book was not among those…moreThis book doesn't get the attention it deserves. I was in Atlanta this January at the MLKJ National Historic Site and this book was not among those for sale in the store.(less)

William
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin Luther King Jr. may be seen by many people, unfortunately, as a cliche historical figure. Everybody feels as though they know a lot about him, but in reality most people know nothing about him besides the fact that he was a civil rights leader who got assassinated. I personally have always wanted to pick up a book by MLK Jr. because I have never been satisfied with the info that black history television programs and school classes gave me. Don't get me wrong, those sources gave me good in ...more
Ted Mallory
Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior wrote that "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" in 1963.

Just last week Nigerian President Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan said that "A terrorist attack on any of us is an attack on all of us."

I shared both quotes with my Civics class, but one eighth grader wrote on the board under Dr. King's words that "no one gets this." I asked if they'd like me to discuss it with them and the same student said, "no, we don't care either."

That made me
Emily
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Africa, it was life changing. Martin Luther King, Jr. was not only an amazing leader for the African American community's fight for social justice, he also offers so much wisdom for all of us with words of guidance in love, faith, hope, and strength. He challenged me to become a thinking Christian, not just a following one.
Talat
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in social justice, Christianity, or extraordinarily eloquent writing
Recommended to Talat by: Professor Donald Matthewsan
Shelves: christianity
Dr. King's eloquence, rhetorical power and Christian witness inspire at every turn of phrase. each page is saturated with prophetic power. "Strength to Love" (1963) is a collection of sermons that Dr. King delivered in the late 1950s and 1960s and edited for print. I feel challenged to identify what the most powerful part of this book is. Every page seems to bear the best of the book's message. Dr. King's gospel of social justice and non-violence consistently radiates forth. Of special interest ...more
Nick Klagge
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book of King's sermons to be very moving. I started thinking about reading it because of the whole tiff-taff over the fake King quote circulating on Twitter after the OBL assassination. (Despite not being a direct quote from King, it certainly expressed a sentiment consistent with his philosophy, and was more or less a paraphrase of a passage in this book.)

Before reading StL, I was of course familiar with King in a cultural sense and had read a couple of his writings such as "Letter
Efox
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
"Admitting the weighty problems and staggering disappointments, Christianity affirms that God is able to give us the power to meet them. He is able to give us the inner equilibrium to stand tall amid the trials and burdens of life. He is able to provide an inner peace amid outer storms. This inner stability of the man of faith is Christ's chief legacy to his disciples. He offers neither material resources nor a magical formula that exempts us from suffering and persecution, but he brings an impe ...more
Will
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read
Two words: Read It.

Whether an agnostic, devout protestant, curious catholic or even aethist... this is the quintiessential compilation of sermons and speeches by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Read and discover why we celebrate this man. A visionary beyond words, yet it is through words that we understand the greatest realms of his imagination.

Im still an agnostic, but after reading I feel like ive finally discovered the power of "the word" and gained respect for a man of his time but who was o
Marcian Enache-Poti
One must read this book to understand that Martin Luther King Jr. is more than the historical figure who fought and won against racial injustice and whose tragic end marked an important page in history. Just as strength to love is more and beyond the mundane romantic understanding our society generally tends to invests in the word "love".
Unexpected, impressive, inspirational and a valuable lesson about life, virtues, attitude and meaning. And it all sums up to love.
This book feels like the essen
Allie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is a collection of 15 of Dr. King's sermons, which were originally published in 1963. I swear, almost all of them could have been written today, and they would still be just as relevant, just as applicable. Here was an amazing man with an amazing point of view, who was passionate about justice and loving towards others, and who didn't need to scream the loudest in order to make a difference. Brilliant work. I had never heard any of his sermons or speeches before, besides the "I Have a Dream ...more
Liz

This has to be one of my all-time favorite books. What a stalwart saint MLK Jr was, and I pick this book up again and again to be reminded what it means to love my enemy, persevere in trial, and be courageous in having a tough mind and soft heart. He has taught me to be a better Christian and laid out the sharp keenness of his mind and theology and how it encompassed his worldview, how it should shape & challenge ours, and ask us to critique whose Kingdom and whose cause we are living for.
Margo Kelly
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally copyrighted in 1963, the content of this book still applies significantly to our lives today.
James Klagge
A book everyone should read. I had read it before many years ago, but re-read it now for an adult Sunday School class at a small black church. Many people knew little about King's speaking beyond the few video clips you hear over and over--"I Have a Dream" and "I've been to the Mountaintop." These are sermons he preached in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The book was originally published in 1963, but this 2010 reprint is missing two of the original sermons, with no explanation.
The main thing
Tim Williams
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy to have read this collection of sermons over the past few months. I did so slowly, at times when I felt greatest anger over the GOP and Trump's repudiation of social justice and disregard for civil discourse. These sermons indeed grounded me and helped me think productively about the question "what can I do?" In that regard, reading these sermons also complemented the political sermons I hear often at my own church, a small social-justice-oriented Episcopal church in western Oreg ...more
Northpapers
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quoting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a bit like quoting Jesus. You sense sometimes that the people doing it the most haven't spent a whole lot of time with his work.

If they did, they might feel either unworthy or afraid to use his words so often and out of context. There might be something damning to their belief system or point right before or after the line they choose to quote.

In this collection, Dr. King the preacher and prophet calls out for Christian engagement with a troubled world. He'
Mel Foster
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mel by: Dr. John Tyson, Houghton College
This excellent book should get more attention. It wasn't even offered for sale at the gift shop at the King historic site in Atlanta! Five stars doesn't mean I always agree with him. But there are some chapters and passages that are worth all the attention I can give them. Everyone--*everyone*--should read the chapter "Loving Your Enemies."
April
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will read this book again and again for the rest of my life.
Jon Beadle
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Highly recommended to those who love to appropriate MLK for their own purposes.
Dar
I consider myself a person who was “informed” about Martin Luther King, Jr. I knew the timeline of events in his life, and what he stood for. But apart from I Have a Dream, I had never read or listened to his work. I am so glad I remedied that.

First the content. The sermons reveal how King’s faith was carried forward into social action. I could see the development of his scholarship and ideas, and how he used them to challenge his own Black Baptist church tradition, daring it not to be complacen
Donovan Richards
A Big Deal

Martin Luther King, Jr. is a big deal. I recall learning about his life and his influence on civil rights early and often in grade school. I heard his famous “I Have a Dream” speech long before I knew what it meant. King County—where I live—originally named after William Rufus King is now named after MLK.

Yet for all I’ve learned about King over the course of my education, I knew little about the origins of King’s thought. Aside from a passing mention of King as a Baptist minister, the
Julie Failla Earhart

Strength to Love by Martin Luther King, Jr. 158 pages
There was more to Martin Luther King, Jr. than as the leading representative of the early 1960s Civil Rights Movement. He was a Baptist preacher first and foremost. And here we have a collection of his sermons, some written while he was jailed.
This is the third of the five books King collected/wrote before his tragic assassination in 1968. They were composed during the years 1955-1963. It’s also one of his most requested works.
Theses short and
Omar
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. Absolutely thought-provoking and heart-centered.
I've read many apologetic writings and though this is not labeled as such, I'd definitely say that it is certainly a work of Christian apologetics in many senses. It deals with the Faith and the Reason of Christianity. It's about the terrenal duties and celestial rights of the Christian. It challenges you to use both your lips and your hands, theory and practice, as you follow Jesus in this world to the coming. King addresses bot
Nathan Miller
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although focused on Kings teachings about God and the application of Christianity to the persistent problems of humanity, this book is very engaging to Christians and Non-Christians alike.

Extolling the virtues of love, humanity and understanding King explores how we can reach out to each other and become true brothers, maybe not under God in my opinion but still the principles apply, that if you educate and reach out to those that hate and preach intolerance you can slow and virtuously change th
Melissa
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! I don't agree with MLK's views on social reform but he does an amazing job of telling the importance of love when faced with conflict. You can feel his love of God and how we as Christians should go about living our life. This book was written during the fall of segregation but so much can be related to what our country is facing today. Truly miss his presence today. I think so much is lost today about who MLK was and what he did and stood for the the 60's. I can honestly say I d ...more
Neil Mercer
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During this horrendous election cycle I have become angry, depressed, and struggled with the racism in this country. In my despair I sought out a teacher who knew what it meant to suffer and respond to a horrible situation in a honorable way. After reading this book I have learned more about MLK Jr. than any history class. MLK Jr. had an abundance of grace and truly walked the talk. This book should be read by everyone to showcase the life of a true Christian.
Abby Dollarhide
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally read my first Martin Luther King Jr. sermons and now have a higher standard for all sermons. His passion lives through his words, especially his hope for a desegregated community of equals, nonviolence, and forgiveness. He lived his faith out with a vision that grew from a local bus protest to a worldwide dream.
David Lasley
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just a window into the thoughts of an historical giant, this book was a breath of fresh air to my faith. His treatment of topics such as compassion, fear, and social action reminded me that Dr. King was first and foremost a pastor of the Christian faith. I wish I had read this sooner in life and highly recommend it.
My Pseudonym
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply: This is one of those books where every single sentence is a philosophical work of genius. You could read just one line and ponder its meaning all day. A very clever and insightful piece of work, written by a great man generations ahead of his time.
Melissa Gerding
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible, timeless truth. To read his famous words in the context of his sermons is enlightening, moving and powerful. This book is giving me courage to love. Dr. King is a remarkable servant and blessing from God.
Evan Kostelka
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I don't know if I have come across a better collection of sermons. Martin Luther king Jr knew how to weave theology with poetry and philosophy and science and give it flesh. Why have I never read this stuff before?!
Deedi (DeediReads) Brown
I was expecting profound words on racism. What I was not expecting was a viewpoint on disarmament in the Cold War as well. It makes me sad that these words are still so politically relevant today, but at least these words do exist. Highly recommend, even if you are not Christian/religious.
how relevant today? 4 30 Jul 26, 2012 07:15AM
  • The Upside-Down Kingdom
  • Ağrı'nın Derinliği
  • Loaves and Fishes
  • The Cross and the Lynching Tree
  • Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World
  • Systematic Theology, Vol 1
  • Credo
  • A Theology of Liberation
  • Exclusion & Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation
  • Christian Reflections
  • Red Letter Christians: A Christian's Guide to Faith and Politics, a Citizen's Guide to Faith and Politics
  • Education and the Significance of Life
Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the pivotal leaders of the American civil rights movement. King was a Baptist minister, one of the few leadership roles available to black men at the time. He became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the Montgomery Bus Boycott (1955–1956) and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1957), serving as its first president. His ef ...more
More about Martin Luther King Jr....

Nonfiction Deals

$8.49 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“One of the great tragedies of life is that men seldom bridge the gulf between practice and profession, between doing and saying. A persistent schizophrenia leaves so many of us tragically divided against ourselves. On the one hand, we proudly profess certain sublime and noble principles, but on the other hand, we sadly practise the very antithesis of these principles. How often are our lives characterised by a high blood pressure of creeds and an anaemia of deeds! We talk eloquently about our commitment to the principles of Christianity, and yet our lives are saturated with the practices of paganism. We proclaim our devotion to democracy, but we sadly practise the very opposite of the democratic creed. We talk passionately about peace, and at the same time we assiduously prepare for war. We make our fervent pleas for the high road of justice, and then we tread unflinchingly the low road of injustice. This strange dichotomy, this agonising gulf between the ought and the is, represents the tragic theme of man's earthly pilgrimage.” 162 likes
“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.” 159 likes