Start by marking “Here Comes the Groom (Special Forces, #1)” as Want to Read:
Here Comes the Groom (Special Forces, #1)

Here Comes the Groom

(Special Forces #1)

If Jocelyn Swann weren't so furious, she'd probably laugh. Her best friend, Dan Jansen, has launched a campaign worthy of his Special Forces training to arrange their wedding, from music and minister to flowers and food. What part of no does he not understand?

Their marriage "agreement" was a tipsy scrawl on the back of a coaster…three years ago! It's not a question of love
Published January 11th 2011 by Harlequin Superromance (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Here Comes the Groom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Comes the Groom

Sam (AMNReader)
If you've read Karina Bliss, odds are you know better than to assume she's got a light, cotton candy touch. This is not an exception. A zany set up: two best friends, one retiring from special forces where he's meet with some trauma, one caring for her grandmother sinking further into dementia. Sprinkle in a promise "if we're not married by 33," and a hero hell-bent on making it happen. In a funny, honest, really weird yet not creepy way.

He basically plans the wedding (my INTP heart swoons) and
Coco.V
Nov 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (11/3/2018)! 💝

Blurb:
Love heals all wounds...

Special Forces soldier Dan Jansen has come home from Afghanistan with one objective: to marry Josephine Swann. First he has to convince his childhood friend that their marriage 'agreement,' a tipsy scrawl on a beer coaster three years ago, is binding. And that platonic love is enough to build a passionate future on.

Protect those you love...

Jo has only thought of Dan 'that way' once; the night before a surgery that
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

Este es uno de esos romances que te sorprende, lo quieras o no. Porque con esa premisa tan descabellada e inverosímil lo que menos te esperas es que la autora vaya a lidiar con temas tan espinosos, complicados, reales y dolorosos como los que arroja a esta historia. La verdad es que me ha dejado helada. En el buen sentido de a palabra. Esta es una de esas historias que es más de lo que parece.

Lo dicho, ni en un millón de años podría creerme que la idea d
Calisto
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wtf, wanted-plot-beta
I'm not sure what to say about this book. Normally I steer clear of contemporary category romances, but this was in the tbr of a friend and had been rec'd in another blog. It is well written, has an interesting premise, and has good characters.

So why two stars? Well, to be honest, the more I think about this story, the less I like it. I'm giving two stars because I think it could have worked with some story/plot editing.

The first problem is the blurb because to me it sounds like a light, romant
Jacqueline J
Fun book even with the serious issues it deals with. I like the perseverance of the hero and the way the heroine learns to give in and accept his love. Liked the over the top ending. Looking forward to the other 2 guys' stories now.
Ana
I loved the book, way better than What the Librarian Did IMO.

First of all, I love the friends-to-lovers theme, and this book delivered. Jocelyn & Dan are good friends and make a great couple.

The book had some funny moments, especially in the beginning. Dan's idea of bullying Jocelyn into marrying him (in a good way, mind you) by planing the wedding is unique, and probably something that wouldn't goo so good in RL, but here it works like a charm. I loved Jocelyn's reaction when she realised
Carrie
While I enjoy how this author writes, the premise of this story didn't work for me. Along with Jocelyn, I was irritated that Dan wasn't listening to her and was bulldozing her into marriage. I liked Dan and I liked Jo, but I didn't like the set-up. But I might have still given it a higher rating, since I did like the characters and the underlying emotions were very well handled, except for the crazy ending. I can't believe that Bliss couldn't think of some other way to deal with it. Honestly, if ...more
Alison
As you can see from the cover of the kindle edition this is a re-release of an old M&B novel. I thought it weathered quite well, but then I'm on holiday and everything reads better on the beach, right?

So Jocelyn (Jo) Swann is getting drunk in a hotel, trying to get laid, when her best friend Dan Jansen v-blocks her. Little does he know that she is trying to have one last fling before surgery the next morning. She even tries it on with Dan, only to be thoroughly rejected.

12 months later and D
Elizabeth
Love the first two thirds, then it felt like the author jumped the shark. Otherwise, the book might have achieved 5 stars (on my 5 star romance scale). That said, I really hope to read more books by Ms. Bliss soon.

The first Karina Bliss book I’ve read, but it won’t be the last. One night while drunk, Jocelyn agrees on the back of a beer coaster to marry her friend Dan. Three years later after returning from a tough deployment with special forces, he tries to take her up on the offer. And he goe
Jacquie
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review
No wonder this is on my re-read shelf!

There are so many great things I could say about this book, I don’t know where to start.

SAS Special Forces soldier Dan Jansen returns home from Afghanistan carrying a ton of guilt and almost desperately focuses on the one good thing in his life- his best friend, Swannie. He decides now is the time to enforce the pledge they made to marry each other by the time they turn thirty-three.

Except, his bride-to-be is surprisingly reluctant.

Jo Swann is fight
Autumn
what a great story that was.

Maybe is a misconception that i expect superficial plots when i read short Harlequin novels. I was pleasantly surprised to see otherwise.

in "Here comes the Groom" I felt very compelled with both characters as well as the plot.

the Plot dealt with real issues but they were dealt in a charming way. what i thought worked for the story to give it the right depth in its short length, was that the H/h were best friends with a lot of history behind them.

I really enjoyed Ka
Wench
Aug 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nopetopus
Because when a woman says she doesn't want to get married, it's TOTALLY a non-abusive, non-rape-culture thing to PLAN A HUGE WEDDING ANYWAY AND FORCE HER IN TO IT.

And that's why this is on the NOPETOPUS shelf.
Miranda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mobi-files
I received a copy of this book I'm exchange for my honest review.
I really liked this book, I really did. BUT I did not care for Jo very much. I didn't like the fact that she hid everything from everyone. Nor the fact that she was so dang resistant to Dan even after they admitted their feelings to each other. The end was a bit surprising, what Jo did to help Dan, bit good. It's weird to not see an epilogue on a book. I look forward to those to get a small glimpse of the HEA.
Shirley Wine
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable

This is an old title reprised but a pleasant enough re-read. Not quite as good as some of her other books, with it's predictable pitting of a serviceman against the odds ... a rather quirky ending.
LB
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ptsd-probably
This book was just so... weird! I just finished it and I am completely bewildered.

Dan gets out of the military and hasn't seen his best friend Jo in almost a year but he's decided he's going to enforce a drunken marriage pact they made years earlier on a beer mat and occasionally joke about. Without discussing it with her or even telling her he's back in town he sends wedding invitations to all her friends and family. She thinks it's a funny joke at first, but then quickly finds out he is actual
KatiD
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-review-ish
One of my very favorite romance themes is the best friends to lovers one. Here Comes the Groom puts a delightful twist on the storyline, making it a unique entry into this well worn trope.

Jo and Dan have known each other and been best friends almost their entire lives. Jo runs a successful newspaper, and Dan is a soldier. Just before Dan is to be deployed to Afghanistan, Jo, drunk as a lord, makes a pass at him. He's shocked and angry with her for changing the playing field between them, especia
Dana S
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't love this much as Karina Bliss's previous book, but it was still a very enjoyable read. Jo and Dan were such well-crafted characters and I was sucked into the book.

The blurb is misleading, not in terms of plot, but tone, it makes it sound like this book is a romantic comedy and it's not, the book deals with a lot of heavy issues. There's a good dose of humor here, but I thought What the Librarian Did actually had more humor in it.

Dan's back home after a deployment to Afghanistan and i
Chelsea Kumer
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dan and Jo are best friends who long ago made a marriage pact as a joke, which Dan then decides to take seriously. He starts planning the wedding against Jo's wishes and does everything possible to talk her into it. It sounds silly, I realize. But there is a lot more going on in this book then is apparent. In the interest of not spoiling the story, I'll just say that Jo and Dan have both been through and are still going through a lot of tough stuff. They are problems which I believe a lot of peo ...more
Holly
This was a sweet friends-to-lovers tale. Jocelyn and Dan have been best friends forever. They agreed, during a night of drunken revelry, that if they were still unmarried at 33 they'd marry each other. Both knew it was a joke, even if they did write it down on the back of a bar placemat and sign it like a contract. Now, on the eve of Jocelyn's 33rd birthday, Dan has changed the rules of the game..he's decided he really wants to marry Jocelyn. But neither of them are the kids they were when they ...more
Jacky
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not the light hearted romance I expected. The description is somewhat misleading. You have survivors guilt, dementia, breast cancer, divorce, disability due to war, mastectomy, and death. Very heavy subjects wrapped around a romance.

Then you have Dan, who was moving full steam ahead with a wedding. All Jo had to do was say no and not show up if she didn't want to marry him, or stop being his friend. Dan was a least honest about what he was doing. Jo didn't decide to divulge her secret u
Gail
I liked this one a lot. Hero and heroine have made a pact to marry if they're both still single when they hit 32 (I think that's the age), but when he shows up and starts planning the wedding, the heroine isn't prepared. She thought it was just a joke.

They're both dealing with a lot of issues--he's back from Afghanistan, her Gran's dementia is getting worse, and that's just the beginning. This is just nicely, nicely done. Liked it a lot.
Tracie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Wow! Just wow!

This was an emotional read that tore at my heart. The issues are so current that at times it was tough to read about.

I love the friends-to-lovers trope. I also like the original take that he did the pursuing and planning the wedding, etc. This was a great story about friends who connect on all levels and 2 people who grow to love one another and need each other.
Aimee
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This was just one of those random suggested books. I decided I needed something different after listening to some paranormal books and got this. This was pretty decent. Not one of your typical romance books. This had some real issues in it and it made it more than a light fluff book.
Lynn Calvin
Friends to lovers - some serious issues well done although I guessed all of them early. Unhappy with the stalker vibe although the author redeemed it well. Still not ok with it, but will gladly read more from this author.

Christy
3.5 stars for the start of a wonderful series. I think Karina Bliss is such a talented writer. I wonder if she'll make the jump from category romances. I think she's earned a spot on my autobuy list.

Karen
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different story. It was really good, but it’s not very often I read a story where the Groom is the one who is pushing for the wedding.

Jocelyn (Jo) Swann, a no-nonsense single woman, she isn’t afraid to say what is on her mind, and she doesn’t take any crap from anyone. She runs a local news paper that was started by her grandfather and she cares for her aging grandmother who has dementia. Her best friend is in the SAS, Australian military. They have been friends since they were very y
Linniegayl
I've been reading this off-and-on for several days, mainly because I had a number of problems with the book. The book sounds as if it has a light-hearted (albeit silly) premise: two lifelong friends make a vow years earlier that if they're still unmarried at a certain age, they'll get married. The hero decides to hold the heroine to their deal, and when she refuses, he just plows on ahead planning every aspect of their wedding, down to inviting friends and family to attend. Everyone in their sma ...more
Jo-Ann Fitzgerald
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the first book in the series.

We've all had those friends where they want to be wild and use alcohol as liquid courage. This is what the heroine in our book does. Unfortunately, she didn't have enough of that liquid courage and decides to not go through with her plans because her best friend stops by. This was due to his SEAL area getting recalled for a mission.

Her best friend, our hero, decides to help her with plans. After our heroine kisses him. And she signs a napkin stating she'll
Bronwyn
3.5 Stars
I received a free copy with no obligation to leave my honest review.
This is the first book I've read by this author and she does have a lovely writing style, her book flowed nicely I felt and I do love a friends to lover tale. It was a little bit different to what I was expecting which was a lighter read but this one covered some big issues like Survivor's guilt, Cancer, Dementia, divorce/separation, Angsty teen and a wedding!!! So while I felt like the author handled all those big issu
Heidi
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this book as an ARC for my honest review.

Jo and Dan have been best friends for years and they have a pact that they will get married to each other if they haven't found a significant other by a certain time frame. Both Jo and Dan have secrets that very few people understand but neither one of them know of each other's secrets. I though this was going to be a typical alpha male special forces type romance but it really wasn't. There are a lot of issues that are brought up (almost too man
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • The Disgraced Playboy (The Notorious Wolfes, #2)
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • A Night of Scandal (The Notorious Wolfes, #1)
  • Heating Up The Holidays
  • A Whole Lot of Love
  • His Wife for One Night
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • A Marine for Christmas
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
New Zealander Karina Bliss has written a biography for a rock star, swapped identities with her twin, raised three orphaned children with her ex husband, worn a cow costume to a Bachelor and Spinster ball, considered marriage for the sake of a baby, and been mayor of a small town.

Oh wait, that’s her characters.

Outside her imagination, she’s always been a professional writer, first as a travel jo

Special Forces (4 books)
  • The Rescue Mission (Special Forces, #2)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • A Prior Engagement (Special Forces, #4)
“We've had fifteen years of being grown-ups when we could have got together and we never have. Doesn't that tell you something?'
'Yeah, that timing is everything. Hit on me again now.”
2 likes