Start by marking “Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)

Hannah's Journey

(Amish Brides of Celery Fields #1)

Levi never expected to find the embodiment of all he wanted in a woman in the softunpredictable.

Levi
Published May 10th 2011 by Love Inspired Historical (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hannah's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah's Journey

Start your review of Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
Rachel Brand
RATING: 8 OUT OF 10

I was initially rather sceptical of the premise of a story based around an Amish woman and a circus owner but this book turned out to be very compelling and enlightening with regards to life in 1920s Florida. The circus details were fascinating, particularly to someone whose only knowledge of circuses comes from Enid Blyton books, as was the information about the new Amish settlements that formed in Sarasota in this period.

All the members of Hannah's family were v
Brenda Thomas
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story, Hannah goes to Levi a circus owner to help her find her son. She believes that he was on the train because he was fascinated with the animals...
So he tells he while help her but she has to come so if he is there she can get her son.
She has to get permission from the Bishop and her father in law and sister in law travel with them.
He has to make a lot of accomodations for them because they are plain people and are not use to extravegance. Along the way, they
Michele Benchouk
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storage
For some reason, I just couldn't get caught up in this book. I really enjoyed the others in this series, and this one had some interesting twists, but I couldn't sustain my interest and it took me forever to read. The characters are compelling and open, but it bothered me that it kept referring to Hannah's "former husband" instead of using his name. I can't imagine that the Amish fail to use a lost loved one's name after death, even when they are considering moving on in a new relationship.
Sandra
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-book
I often read books with an Amish Story line. After reading the back jacket of this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. It is not your average Amish Story. I was pleasantly surprised. I did enjoy reading Hannah's Journey and will be reading more by this author. I liked the way she writes and found her description of the characters and locations very interesting.
Debbie West
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great book
Camille
Hannah's Journey by Anna Schmidt

We selected this book as our January 2012 group read.

What a unique combination of topics in this book! Hannah's Journey is historical Amish fiction (and if you know me, you know this is one of my favorite blends). But beyond that, this particular book also has much of the plot involving life in a traveling circus!

Who would have though, the Amish and traveling circuses. A very unique blend that is almost counter-intuitive.
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Title: HANNAH’S JOURNEY
Author: Anna Schmidt
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
May 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-82868-5
Genre: Inspirational/historical/romance/Amish

Hannah Goodloe is an Amish woman, desperate to find her eleven-year-old son, Caleb. Caleb had visited a circus the day before and that night had vanished. Hannah believes he ran away to join the circus, so she gathered her courage and went to visit the owner of the circus, Levi Harmon, to request that h
Fredell Boston
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An unusual tale of an Amish widow, her rebellious son and the circus owner that unites the two. "What could bring an Amish widow and a wealthy circus owner together? Though Hannah Goodloe knew she'd violated countless unwritten laws, she had to visit the only man who could help find her runaway son. But when the enigmatic Levi Harmon agreed to take her on his train, the results were utterly unpredictable.
Levi never expected to find the embodiment of all he wanted in a woman in the soft-spo
Kate
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Levi Harmon, satisfied with his life and fortune, he has built for himself. He receives a visit from Hannah Goodloe, an Amish woman searching for her 11 yr old son Caleb who has run away and thought to be amongst the staff of his traveling circus. Levi makes her an offer to accompany him on his circus train to search for and bring back her son. When she approached the bishop about Levi's offer, the bishop requested two others of her family need to accompany her. Onboard, Levi comes up with a bus ...more
Veronica
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kate
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I belong to a group of Amish fiction lovers here on GoodReads, and each month, two books are chosen for the group to read together. January’s ‘Amish’ choice was ‘Hannah’s Journey’ by Anna Schmidt. Most books in the ‘Amish fiction’ genre are set exclusively in the Amish community itself. This book was set primarily amongst a circus community in the late 1920s. Hannah’s son, Caleb, has run away with the circus that wealthy Levi Harmon owns, and Hannah turns to Levi for help in bringing her son hom ...more
Diane U
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in the mid-1920's in Florida. I have never read an Amish book whose community was from here. Hannah, along with her sister in law and father in law, take a train ride with the circus to find her son Caleb who ran away with the circus. It was discovered early that he was safe but the train had to make it's way to back to Wisconsin. The trip was interesting as they were in contact with circus performers but they stuck to their Plain ways.

Once they arrived in Wisc
Angela Holland
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This was my first book by this author. I enjoyed this book but to me it was a little slow moving at times. The more I read though the more I wanted to find out what was going to happen next. I like how Hannah and her family blended in so well with the circus family on the journey to find her son. The author does a good job in showing how close knit and friendly the Amish truly are. Another thing I enjoyed was that this told the story of how the Amish came to Florida. I don’t want to give away an ...more
Beks
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a plot line that required some serious emotional investment into the characters in order to enjoy the plot. Sadly the character who I liked the most was on of the sub-plot people who really didn't do anything throughout the story. The Amish plight put in here wasn't nearly as well done as in others I have read and well Hannah and Levi just weren't cutting it for me.

I did like the circus aspect, not something I have read about for a very long time...if ever...now that I think about it t
April Suter
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
In 1928 a young fatherless Amish boy from Florida runs away with the circus. His mother, Hannah, meets the owner of the circus, Levi, and pleads with him to help her find her son. This leads to a journey with her father-in-law and sister-in-law on a train to Wisconsin. Will she find love again and will Levi's past become a part of his present?
This is a quick read. It is interesting to learn about how a circus traveled in the 1920's. The best theme of the novel is how Amish traditions of fa
Spencer
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I'm going to preface with review by saying I am not Amish. I haven't ever really studied Amish culture. This book came to me in a box of various Love Inspired stories that were given to me by a friend.

This wasn't a terrible book for me but it was definitely one I'll only read the one time. The idea of an Amish woman and circus owner were very compelling to me but I didn't ever connect with either of the characters like I wanted to.
Paula-O
Apr 28, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story a lot, Hannah an amish woman has a son run away to the circus and she goes to the man that owns the circus for help not knowing that he grew up amish and left that life as a child running away and bacame a circus owner in life, Has God brought these two together to help both, you will be surprised at the way this story ends. if you like to read about the amish you will like this one.
Julie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish, romance
This book was a quick read but it wasn't as engaging as some other Amish books. The plot was different and so it was fresh in that way. I would have liked more emotional engagement between the characters and the reader. I didn't feel that I really got enough of that (although it wasn't missing altogether).
Lynda
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Book 1 of the Amish Brides of Celery Fields. Yea -- it's "a little far-fetched". An Amish mother travels with a circus train along with her father-in-law & sister-in-law hoping to find her son who has -- you guessed it -- run away to join the circus.

The plot drags a bit but not because of the plot premise.
The book has a happy ending and I happen to like happy endings.
Christy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish, historical
This unusual Amish story turned out a lot better than I had thought. Nice read.
Jenny
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun story. When I first read the back, I wasn't sure about the story. I was pleasantly surprised.
Mindy Mcc
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
From ERC lending library... nice sweet story.
Sue Klasing
Good story with a GREAT ending.
Cathy Daniel
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another Anna Schmidt book I ADORED!! Her characterization is amazing and the storyline always has a gentle , down home feel I just love.
Harlequin Books
Feb 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 19, 2015 01:46PM

• Property of a Noblewoman
  • Hester on the Run (Hester’s Hunt for Home, #1)
  • A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, #1)
  • Amish Christmas Twins (Christmas Twins #1)
  • Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie #1)
  • One More River to Cross
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Where the Heart Leads (Heart of the Prairie #2)
  • A Home in Drayton Valley (Heart of the Prairie #9)
  • A Whisper of Peace (Heart of the Prairie #7)
  • Why Shoot a Butler?
  • Chocolate a la Murder (A Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum Mystery Book 4)
  • The Glovemaker
  • Leper Priest of Molokai: The Father Damien Story
  • The Personal History of Rachel DuPree
  • Deja Moo (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #3)
  • Courting Emily (Wells Landing #2)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana, #1)
Anna Schmidt's historical novel, THE WINTERKEEPER, received a Five Star rating from Reader's Favorites. Reviews for the story have been strong including one from the Historical Novel Society that raved: "The storytelling and scene building are masterful and create an immediacy that keeps the reader turning pages. This is a writer who feels words as well as thinking them." Anna is a three-time fina ...more

Amish Brides of Celery Fields (4 books)
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • A Groom for Greta (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #3)
  • Second Chance Proposal (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #4)