Start by marking “Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)

Thirst

(Ava Delaney #1)

Ava Delaney calls herself a hybrid - a living, breathing human who happens to have vampire poison running through her veins. The only thing greater than her thirst for human blood is her capacity for guilt. She does her best to avoid the human world, for everyone's sake.

When Ava accidentally enslaves a human while saving him from a vampire, she realises she has to look for
Published November 28th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Thirst, please sign up.
Cindy There's no reason an older teen couldn't read it. There's some profanity, mostly mild, and lots of sexual tension, some violence. But there's no…moreThere's no reason an older teen couldn't read it. There's some profanity, mostly mild, and lots of sexual tension, some violence. But there's no actual sex. Not sure if the series gets steamier as it goes along though.(less)

Jillian -always aspiring-
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who don't mind reading the same vampire formula over and over
Vampire Novel Writing 101:< /b>

(1) Include two boys in a possible love triangle with the heroine. Even if your novel lacks in substance, you can give your reader the illusion of deep emotion by giving empty lust and sexual tension in the story from time to time. Make girls feel that they too can have their cake and eat it too by leading along two boys. Never mind that it's rare in real life for any girl, no matter how great or TOTALLY AWESOME, to have two boys compete for her affections be
Kenya Wright
This book is like that great guy your dating, BUT he's not really doing it for you.... There's no shivers of pleasure when your eyes meet.

He's just that nice guy.

Your friends ask, "How are you and ----?"

You yawn, explaing, "He's a nice guy. He's just not.... THE GUY for me."

This is Thirst.

Thirst and I went out on a few dates. And I'll admit it... I slept with Thirst on the second date (I'm such a floosie!), but I can't even describe the sex to you or even the conversations we had on the date.

A
Kara-karina
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm guilty again of reading a book solely because of the redheaded cover! Which is very nice, by the way.

My advise, read it if you have absolutely nothing else to read. This is like an emergency supply when you are in the queue or on the train and want to pass the time but have no other book at hand. It's readable, and it's easy, but quite empty.

There is no depth, there is no original plot, more like non-violent, non-blood drinking variation of female Blade, a slightly OCD daywalker and Ebay se
Grace the Book Queen
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
This book was okay at best but I'm intrigued enough to continue with the series. Ava's actions irked me a bit throughout the book, but I've been told she gets better and also stronger the further the series goes on. There was some unique aspects about the vampires in this universe that I hope will be explored more fully as the series progresses.
Carrie
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Ava Delaney is different, she's not quite a vampire but not quite human either. When Ava's mother was pregnant she was attacked and killed by a vampire, Ava was born right before her mother died and some of the vampire's poison stayed in her making her somewhat of a hybrid.

Ava does everything she can to fight her cravings for blood and to live like a normal human shutting herself off from others to not harm them. When she comes across a man in danger from a vampire and steps in to help she acci
Penelope Fletcher
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
One of the better vampire novella's I've read. Surprisingly, I wanted her to fall head over heels for Carl. Don't ask me why ... Peter had everything going for him. Cover is lush.
Emma Shortt
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to enjoy this book. The first couple of pages were odd, written in numerous tenses I considered just deleting it. However I am very pleased I stuck with it, because Thirst is an excellent story and the lead character, Ava, is really likeable.

I'm holding out for a Peter/Ava love in and am skipping off right now to download the second book.

Oh, did I mention it's currently a free read?
Marsha
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
First let me say, "Thirst" has such a beautiful cover and although you should never judge a book by it's cover, it truly did entice me to read the book. "Thirst" is a modified version of one of my all time favorite movie series, Blade. Ava Delaney was born a daywalker. Her mother was bitten by a vampire while pregnant and died during Ava's birth. Ava's upbringing was shrouded in secret and left to a religious zealot grandmother who never failed to inflict her personal brand of exorcising the bad ...more
Celine
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Thirst was enjoyable. It was al right. It just didn't stand out for me.

Ava is a half-vampire, and the only one at that. When she by accident binds a human to her, she doesn't know what to do. And know two rivalling vampire clans are fighting to capture her and use her powers. Only Ava is completely unaware of what she can do.

This is pretty much a basic vampire story. The main character is a pretty girl that everyone either wants, or is jealous of. But she's not perfect! She hasn't talked to a hu
Keeleigh
Another dnf on my record. 20% this time.

Some examples of what I was dealing with guys:

"I glanced out into the hall to see my slutty next-door neighbour smirking at me from her doorway, her dressing gown opened just an inch too far."

Dude, she's in a dressing gown, mine falls open all the damn time. Even if she did sleep around all the time this bitchy sentence just makes you sound jealous.

"A woman bumped into me, and my fangs shot out straight away.

There's nothing really wrong with this sentence
Kelly
I'm not quite sure what to think of this book. My waffling has nothing to do with the writing or the story and everything to do with Ava's grandmother. I'm not going to lie, when a parental figure hands over her ward to have the devil beaten out of her she becomes unredeemable in my eyes. I had a tough time with her. I don't care how much she's "changed" or how she's spent 7 years hunting for the granddaughter she drove away... I found her vile and repulsive. This may be the mom in me rearing he ...more
Adele
Wonderful writing. The story is easy to follow along with. Right from the beginning the reader is thrown into the story; which is great. When the story moves along we learn enough about the history of the story just to know what’s going on. We aren’t given much to know why though.

I really love this series. The setting is in Ireland, which is awesome! In this first book, Thirst, we just get used to the characters. This world, really, and then we’re somehow at the end of the book? Crazy! Crazy goo
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
I just wasn't grabbed by this book, It was a bit of an effort to read to be honest which is why it gets one star I didn't hate it but I want to actually enjoy a book and feel like I haven't just wasted a few hours. I found it all a bit predictable and the main character irritated me.

(view spoiler)
Lorena
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
I got this book for free at Amazon.com, found it by chance and had no idea what the author was like or if she had any experience but since it was about vampires, I just had to give it a chance. Probably wouldn't have if I had had to buy it though, but it was entertaining and it made me want to read the second one. It's not really a 2 or a 3, more like a 2.5 since I liked it but it had some serious issues that rubbed me the wrong way as I was reading it.

It is not an overly descriptive book, you g
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars in anticipation.

The reason for 3.5 stars is it was short and diddn't feel like i truly connected to anyone (yet) due to this.

What i liked a lot
The plotline is simple its not confusing the Author doesn't overwhelm you with information but feeds it to you slowly. I can imagine she will build on this book and certain characters and aspects will be viewed in a new light.

The characters are also Great and not to many, Although i didn't really get to connect with them in such a short read i d
T.K.
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Though not much is original here, I really liked the main character, Ava. There was a little profanity and innuendo, but not bad (PG level). Then halfway through the book, one of the characters got a little stressed and started dropping the f-bomb every few words. After a couple pages of that, I just skipped to the end. I'm still curious about Eddie and the ghost-like presence, but not enough to wade through the language or another book.
Traci
This novella doesn't really have enough of a plotline to rehash in a review. There's a vampire/human hybrid named Ava who accidentally imprints or whatever on a guy named Carl and spends the whole book trying to unmake the bond. She has OCD. She has an abusive grandmother. She meets a vampire hunter named Peter.

I have this personal vendetta against books with reviews where people slam the books because they feel like the main female character is weak. To me, there is a big difference between be
Natalie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a fun vampire read. Honestly, I can't believe how many paranormal books I've read recently. After Twilight I gave up on them for a long time because I was too disgusted. I still do not think there is anything romantic about vampires, (big EW! factor and if you've ever read Dracula, you will agree.) but these books are cheap, and provide a break from thinking. Also, a lot of the heroines are not as annoying as Bella, so it's not that bad.

I appreciated this book because some of the typic
JenniferJ
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, z2012
The action starts out right away with Ava trying to save a human and ending up making him her slave by accident and not knowing how to get rid of him. Her troubles only maximize as she reaches out for help and everybody is trying to kill her for one reason or another!

This was a funny vampiric comedy of errors and my heart went out to poor Ava even as I was laughing my butt off at her predicaments. Here she is trying to help innocents and she seems to be the one who gets into trouble for it.

It do
Ahnah
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyed this one!! Would have received a 5 star rating except for the few spelling errors I found.

Great plot, yes, almost a complete Blade rip off, but a female Blade. Brilliant heroine, smart and not completely man crazy. Definitely more of a UF than PR and I cannot wait to read the rest of this series!

I love the quirk of having OCD be an issue for Ava(the main character.) suffering from OCD myself, I love the way it helps her to control her thirst.

Waiting to read the second installment
Anna Kļaviņa
It was the cover that grabbed my attention and fortunately the book wasn't disappointing as it often happens when I choose book because the cover is sooo-prettty-i-needz-it-now!!

I did like Ava thought she sometimes was annoyingly insecure but it's not really surprising after all abuse she suffered in her girlhood. I hope in the next series she is more self reliant. But Ava is definitely a likeable character.
Debs
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
A refreshing change from some of my vampire reads since it was free on Kindle I didn't expect much, which I think was a good idea to do as it was a short novel. A fast read with a good cover when reading keep thinking of the cover very related indeed.
I would read another of Claire Farrell's writes
Rachel &#x1f49a;&#x1f49a;&#x1f49a;
such a cliche! i used to love vampire books but it all went down hill after twilight. i wanted to read a good vampire book with a bit of diversity. this just bored the crap outta me, i put it down at 44% as it was wasting my time.
Hannah
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Vampire Literature
I promise to be brutally honest with my opinion, but it should not be taken as fact. Any reader should read it for themselves, before they decide if this book has any merit or not. Do not judge this book biased solely on my opinion. If you do, you might miss out on a great read. You never know. It could happen. My review may contain spoilers, but I really strive to be spoiler-free. I downloaded this book for free on Amazon.com. This book was not suggested nor “gifted” to me by the author. I ha ...more
Anna Boyett
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off, I found this a more realistic take on vampirism, with the portion explaining that vampires couldn't copulate because they're dead. finally! a vampire novel that isn't filled with ridiculous vampire romance and sex. even the mild attraction of the heroine to Peter wasn't nauseating- though interestingly enough I'd like to see an elaboration of the whole "dating the head vampire bitch's assistant" thing. as for the supposed "love triangle" between Peter, Ava and Carl, I didn't see it at ...more
britt scianno
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kind of book

I loved reading this book, for me I felt like it went so fast. Like I was so into it that I just finished it too quickly. I am excited to read the series...and others by the author. I definitely related to the relationship ava has with her grandmother, except with me it's my stepmom. If life was the way it was in this book I would probably end up in the same situation accidentally doing something crazy. I admired how strong she was about keeping her morals in tact, making sacrific
Tina
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ava is a strange kind of vampire. Her mother was bitten as she was giving birth and Ava is a half-breed. She craves blood but she is a day walker. The vampire covens in the area want her, but then again, who doesn't.This is a fast paced story about a girl just trying to be good but all the forces of nature want her bad. She can be tough but it's a lonely life.
This story kind of took a minute to get into but once you caught on, you didn't dare let go. The characters are developed and you almost
Julie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it

I have never heard of this author before, it came up on my kindle as something I might enjoy so gave it a go, glad I did, it started of a little slow but soon became engrossing, I really liked the characters they were well thoughtout, each having their own issues, I really enjoyed the plotline, I was hoping for a bit of romance but maybe that will come up in the next in the series, which I have got, its free so a great bonus.
Freethings Forme
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting book about a daywalker. Ava is alive as evidenced by her beating heart, but not human. Ava has fangs and is plagued with "Thirst", but is not a vampire. These are woes of being a half breed. Every direction Ava turns someone wants something from her or wants to use her for their own purposes.
I liked this book. It was easy to follow. I liked the characters and this story. Claire Farrell definitely wrote a stellar read.
Lauren McCreedy
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was all I thought it would be. For the first book in a free series I didn’t think it would be anything to write home about and I was right. I’m not saying it’s terrible only that it’s not memorable. It was a light and easy read but the characters seemed to lack depth and the love interest was so faint that it seemed non existent. It’s a pity as it has all the elements you want, vampires, hunters and magic. Hopefully the series gains some traction in the next book.
  • The Vampire from Hell: The Beginning (The Vampire from Hell, #1)
  • The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)
  • Shelter (Blood Haze, #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset (Sunset Vampire #1)
  • Demon Girl (Rae Wilder, #1)
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • Diary of a Vampeen (Vamp Chronicles, #1)
  • Endlessly (Endlessly, #1)
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)

Ava Delaney (6 books)
  • Taunt (Ava Delaney, #2)
  • Tempt (Ava Delaney, #3)
  • Taken (Ava Delaney #4)
  • Taste (Ava Delaney, #5)
  • Traitor (Ava Delaney, #6)
“Logically, I knew I was stronger than him, but I was raised to understand men were supposed to be stronger than women.” 1 likes