Start by marking “Favorite” as Want to Read:
Favorite

Favorite

Five years have passed since sixteen-year-old Angie Favorite's mother disappeared without a trace. Since that day, Angie has managed to go through the motions of everyday life--until the summer morning when she's abducted from a mall parking lot. Angie narrowly escapes, and her attacker is arrested, but he takes his life in jail before he can offer an explanation for his c ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Skyscape (first published November 1st 2009)

Anne
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is Karen McQuestion's second novel, she originally was a very succesful self-published author and was given a deal by the Amazonencore programme. 'Favorite' is a short (just over 160 pages) novel aimed at the Young Adult market.

The premise for the story is great, the blurb is enticing and my expectations were high. I found it a very easy to read book, with a pretty straightforward plot line, but could have been much better developed. The story centres on Angie - a sixteen year old girl who
Andre
Mar 31, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was all over the place. The premise was enticing, which is why I started reading it in the first place. Unfortunately, I think the author was a little unsure of what she was trying to accomplish.

The protagonist of this first person narrative, Angel Favorite, is sixteen years old during the events of Favorite, and her language is consistent with someone of that age. Her thoughts, though, are more of what I'd expect from someone who is nine or ten. There is some mild cussing, so I don't
Gina
Angie Favorite's mother disappeared from her life on her 11th birthday and for 5 years, Angie has been hoping and praying that her mother would someday return safe and alive, even though everyone else assummed she was dead. Angie and her brother, Jason, live with their grandmother while their father tours the country with his band. The book opens with Angie picking up her grandmother's dry cleaning. When she leaves she is approached by a strange man who grabs her and tells her he wants her to se ...more
Ashley
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Favorite was a good novel, though better suited for a younger teen audience. This was my first venture into Karen’s work, and I was very eager to read Favorite after reading the description. This book was nothing like I was expecting at all, but in a good way. I was expecting a much lighter read, but what I got was a dark thrilling mystery that changes the entire life of a 16 year old girl forever.

Karen McQuestion has a particular way of writing that is crisp and fresh, and very into the teenage
Kitty Austin
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TITLE: "Favorite"
AUTHOR: Karen McQuestion
PUBLISHER: Amazon Encore
RATING: 5
AGES: 14+

REVIEW: This is an amazing story and one easily readable within a day. Angel Favorite's mother disappears when she is in the third grade, never to be seen again. The police soon give up the search and Laura Favorite is assumed dead. Suddenly Angel is attacked at 16 years of age only five years after her mother's disappearance and no one understands why. As accusations begin to fly and strange things start to happe
Katherine Coble
If you write a book from the first-person perspective of a 16yo, at least try to sound like a 16yo.

Heather
(This review will be on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)

The synopsis to Favorite by Karen McQuestion sounded intriguing. I love thrillers, so this seemed like a good book to read. However, why it wasn't that bad, it wasn't that great either. It was just okay.

The plot to Favorite was interesting although it seemed a bit all over the place in some areas. Angie is attacked. The attacker's mother, Mrs. Bittner, calls and gets a hold of Angie to invite her over to apologize. Angie reluctantly goe
Halima
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so the story had me hooked and I didn't want to put the book down because I wanted to find out why it happened and what it was leading to. However, the last part of the book felt rushed to me and so much happened in the space of a few pages. I don't know if I liked that or if I would complain had there been another ending to the story. Also, the ending felt like I was watching a really bad movie scene.

Barbara Sissel
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FAVORITE may be categorized as a young adult thriller, but I found myself pulled into the story that revolves around a number of richly layered themes involving love, loss, and the often-complicated bonds of non-traditional families. This impactful story finishes up with a twist you won’t see coming. I loved it from page one.
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Favorite is a very, very short novel, but Karen McQuestion packs a lot into its 160 pages. The plot is interesting enough – missing mother, attacked daughter, creepy mother to the attacker being all sweet and ‘let’s get to know each other and I’ll do something to make the fact that my son attacked you and left you unconscious with a fractured skull all better’ – and Karen McQuestion knows how to ramp up the action.

The story starts off right with the attack and from there, the reader travels alon
Catha
I just stumbled upon this book on Amazon in the Kindle books section. Apparently that's where you can get McQuestion books. I bought it because it was only $1.99 and most people gave it multiple stars.

It is a very good, quick read. Not gonna lie, it even scared me a bit. I found it to be a page turner (or clicker in my case!). I am not sure I loved it enough for 4 stars, but definitely loved that I liked it a lot AND it was so inexpensive. I will definitely read another McQuestion novel.
Stacia
This is the kind of book I probably would've enjoyed more if I was part of the target audience. It's definitely Y/A - an easy read but a bit simple and obvious I thought. It reminded me of something I would've written myself. I'd recommend it to someone about 15-20 years younger than my advanced age.
Donna Fasano
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent YA novel. It reminded me of Flowers In The Attic. Recommended!
Amy
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
still, i violated my rules and finished reading it. at least it was a quick read, with a good ending. it was kind of the reading equivalent of an afterschool special with a scary twist.
Casey Carlisle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Actual rating 2 3/4 stars.

This read more like a middle-grade novel. While I enjoyed it, the tension built expertly, I found the pacing really slow. Also the protagonist Angie (Angel) felt immature most of the time. While she was ingenious and had a never-say-die attitude that was admirable, I failed to connect with her.

You get a sense very early on in the novel that there is a twist coming. And maybe I wasn’t paying attention, but I did not guess the actual twist. I had many scenarios lolling ar
Helen
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Received a complimentary copy from the author via Goodreads giveaway. Thank you!

Favorite was a surprisingly short book. "Novella" would probably be the accurate term. On one hand, I think there was a premise that could have been turned into a longer, more complex mystery. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to read a longer book written in this style.

One of the strengths of this novella is Angie's voice. She really sounds like a person who's recounting events that actually happened, thanks
Melanie Haynes
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this short little mystery! This is a good mystery for 4th grade and above. Or for anyone looking for a short interesting read. I love how the book progressed and the ending was very satisfying for the younger school children. It teaches them to trust their instincts and to trust the proper authorities to exact justice. I say 4th grade but mind you it would be last semester 4th grade on a normal reading level. Enjoyable up through middle school and for a short train ride on a day trip f ...more
Gabrielle
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when your mother disappears?

Angie's mom vanished on Angie's 11th birthday. Even though no one knows what happened to her, Angie believes that she is still alive. Then Angie is attacked but a stranger and narrowly escapes with her life. How much bad luck can one family have.?

A nicely written book for young adults. Nothing mushy. A touch of gothic horror in the descriptions that reminds me of books I read when I was young.
Eating Between
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author creates an eerie and mysterious environment that in my opinion brings a certain Misery meets Pretty Little Liar vibe to the story. I really enjoyed cracking the mystery that is Where is Angie’s Mother and the end will shock even the most experienced mystery reader!

Find the rest of my review here-
Shari Ring Wolf
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Authors 2nd Book

Was going to give 4 stars but read this was the author' s 2nd book and I've several of her novels...I had to go with 5 stars. Very short book, action adventure and coming of age all in one. It gets a bit....fantastic sounding at times--not as polished as later works by the author, or as believable. Still, I kept turning the pages and enjoyed it to the end.
chaitali roy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

Easy flowing language. Interesting read and premise. Character descriptions could have been more detailed . All in all good read
kim caldwell
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!

This was an incredible story of love, loss and how people can be so twisted. I really enjoyed this novel, and never would have guessed the ending!
Terri Bond
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real page turning thriller. It will keep you guessing until the very end.
Norma Mason
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride!

I refuse to post spoilers, but I highly recommend this book. The characters are well-written, the story sneaks up on you, and the ending is more than satisfying!
Karen Powell
Good read

This book was pretty good. You didn't figure things out too quickly and felt like it could have been made into a pretty good Lifetime movie.
Kimani Winston
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75
Agnes Marshall
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the writing and the story. I passed the book to my daughter and then ti my granddaughter and they both loved it as well.
Bernie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite review

Favorite is a short Young Adult book. The story begins with the attempted abduction of sixteen year old Angie Favorite.
Mary Thompson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
👍🏼

Another great story. The twists and turns keep you guessing until the end, then the author neatly wraps everything up in the concluding chapter.
L.A.
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Article first published as Book Review: Favorite by Karen McQuestion on Blogcritics.

Angie Favorite is kidnapped as she stops by the dry cleaner to pick up the laundry. The man is someone she knew from around town by the name of Scott Bittner. He kept dragging her even as she pleaded to be let go. “No, you need to see something” was the only reply each time. As she swung her arm at him and screamed, he seemed startled and let her go. As she took off running, he finally reached up to her in a woo
  • Worth Dying For
  • Dead Man's Eye
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (Throughout the Night #1)
  • Midnight Revelations (Werelove #2)
  • Ada: Legend of a Healer
  • Noise
  • Redemption
  • King of Paine
  • The Shifters of 2040 (Shifter Evolutions, #3)
  • Martyr's Moon (War of Whispers, #2)
  • Lucky at Love: Some Guys Just Never Give Up...
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)
  • A Hard Death
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • The Spare Wife
  • Sweetie
  • Black Machetes
Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and NPR. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives with family in Hartland, Wisconsin.

Her website:www.
“What do you like to read?” she asked. “Everything,” I answered, a vague reply but true. I loved thrillers, ghost stories, and stories set in different cultures. I liked reading about anyone who had an interesting life, from women who dressed up as men to fight in the Civil War, to the guy who invented Q-tips. If nothing else was available, I read junk mail and the backs of cereal boxes.” 0 likes
“Very few things in life are important enough to interrupt a good sleep.” 0 likes