Start by marking “The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger” as Want to Read:

Who was in the manger that first Christmas morning?
Some say he would become a great moral leader. Others, a social critic. Still others view Jesus as a profound philosopher, a rabbi, a feminist, a prophet, and more. Many are convinced he was the divine Son of God.
Who was he---really? And how can you know for sure?
Consulting experts on the Bible, archaeology, and messianic
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Case for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for Christmas

Start your review of The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
This book is actually an abridged version of Strobel's Case for Christ, focusing more on Christ's birth, but also his resurrection, which, as the author points out, cannot be separated from each other.

Strobel set out to disprove Christianity by using his journalistic training and investigating Christ, using the same relentless search for proofs and facts that he used for his articles for the Chicago Tribune.

Included in this slim volume are his interviews with experts in archaeology, theology, an
Lee Harmon
This little book is excerpted from an earlier 1998 book by Lee Strobel: The Case for Christ. Like others of the series, Strobel’s MO is to interview other believing scholars and present his findings as a sort of scientific approach to uncovering the truth about Jesus.

Let me start by saying that I’ve never found much inspiration in Strobel’s “The Case for …” series. It feels to me like he demeans the beauty and mystery of Christianity by trying to bring it down to earth, proving the unprovable. B
Jennifer Stahl
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, approachable, short but intelligent, clear and convincing research into the claims of Jesus, authenticity of the Bible, and events surrounding the "Christmas story" in the New Testament Gospels. A great hand-off to someone who is looking for facts, sources, and thoughts on Christianity around the Christmas time ...or all parts of the year. :)
Jacob O'connor
I've been a Christian for over 20 years. In that time, I've prepared for everything. I can give you a dozen arguments for the existence of God. We could talk at length about Jesus's resurrection from the dead. I can riff on any number of apologetic topics. The great irony is, in all my gospel conversations, I've needed this information about thrice. The reality is, most people just don't think very deeply about religious matters.

For those who would like to begin, you can do worse than Lee Strob
Tom Weissmuller
I set this small book aside after reading the first half (over coffee) and deciding, the author is not questioning anything. I picked it up and enjoyed the balance of the book, (over another coffee), this time considering it a form of ministry. If you read it as a Christian, you will enjoy. If you are questioning Judaism and Christianity, it is less helpful because it offers very little substance when vast resources are, in fact, available. To the latter reader, I would suggest another resource.
Hope
The Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel was a disappointment. As a fan of both literature and theology, I grieve when I read Christian books that are flat and boring. Dorothy Sayers wrote that the truths of Christianity describe the greatest drama ever staged. That’s why I’m frustrated with writers who manage to wring all the life out of them.
Trix Wilkins
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deals with pressing objections to the existence and significance of Jesus and Christmas in under a hundred pages.

Despite the heavy subject matter, it reads like a series of feature articles you’d find in a publication like Time or National Geographic – interviews, accounts of court cases (being written by a law-trained journalist), and breakout boxes with titles like, “Who does Jesus think he is?”

My favorite part is Lee’s interview with Louis Lapides. It gets personal.

It’s not just abo
Tyler Collins
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
This is a wonderful and concise exploration into the truthfulness of the main tenants of the Christian faith. Strobel, as always, presents the reader with a defense of the Christian faith that must be given serious consideration. This book is an easy read and can be read straight through in several hours. Through his story-like retelling of his interviews with experts and professionals, one is left trying to think up objections to the answers given and often can't find any. In "The Case for Chri ...more
Dann
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
From Lee Strobel comes the holiday themed book The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger. Strobel adapts segments of his previous work The Case for Christ to examine whether or not Jesus’ biographers can be trusted, if the archaeological and forensic evidence support the Gospels, and if Jesus met the Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah. The narrative is well-written, with Strobel introducing each topic with an anecdote from is career as a repor ...more
Terri Palermo
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that this book is actually an excerpt from The Case for Christ until I began reading it. I suppose this is a good idea, breaking down such a great book into smaller pieces so that it will be read by more people, thus perhaps bringing them to their own investigation.
Dan Curnutt
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading this short little book I realized that much of the material that he discusses was also in "The Case for Christ." That doesn't mean that this little book can be effective, it just means that much of the material is covered in his longer writing.

The Case for Christmas is his document that sets out to examine and determine the truth about the Virgin Birth of Christ in a little town called Bethlehem. He proceeds to interview several people who will help him to document whether or no
Dale
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lightweight Version of The Case for Christ

I picked The Case for Christmas up for free on Amazon.com as a Kindle e-book. For a freebie, this is a solid introduction to Lee Strobel and his style. But, if you purchase this book as a stand-alone book at the regular price of $1.99 it has issues.

Issue #1. This book is a essentially an edited, truncated version of Lee Strobel's signature book, The Case for Christ . Now, I like The Case for Christ because it is very thorough and includes a
Jerry Simmons
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For several years I have wanted to read The Case For Christmas by Lee Strobel. I finally had the opportunity and want to share my experience with you.

The Case For Christmas is a fairly short book (96 pages) and is an easy read even though the content is not at all simplistic. Using his investigative reporting background, Lee Strobel seeks to answer the question, “Can we really trust the biographies of Jesus to tell us the true story of His birth, life, teachings, miracles, death, and ultimate re
Kymberly
LOL!!! I read this last year and totally read it again. It was so good then the second time!! I want to give it as Christmas presents this year. (1-10-09)
reread with my hubby this year! enjoyed it again and this will be our giving Christmas gift next year.
Brian Eshleman
Repackage of Case for Christ. Not new, but as it had been a few years since I read the original, it was good to be reminded of Christ's preeminence.
Erin Odom
I enjoyed this book but not as much as The Case for Christianity, which I read a number of years ago. I feel like much of the information in this book was recycled from the original.
Sherri Tullis
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise examination of the eyewitness evidence, scientific evidence, profile evidence, and fingerprint evidence to prove that Jesus is the Messiah.
Sara
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting this to get me in the mood for Christmas!! I can't wait!
Eric
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted to me by my brother-in-law with whom I have carried out conversations about Jesus Christ and beliefs inherent in being a complete Christian.

The author contends that first God has to be an objective reality if he’s going to have meaning beyond my own imagination.

"We know that first, Jesus was a Jewish teacher; second, many people believed that he performed healings and exorcisms; third, some people believe that he was the Messiah; fourth, the was rejected by the Jewish leader
James Cloyd
Once again, Strobel has managed to write a whole book defending a case without mentioning, much less addressing, the biggest challenges to it. He knows exactly which questions are safe to ask, and exactly how to nuance them to get the answer he's looking for. Here's some questions he conveniently avoided:

Question: When in Luke's story did Jesus' family have time to flee to Egypt?
Answer: There is no where you can put it without changing what the text says. Matthew is explicit that they fled to E
Lila Diller
The material was well-researched and logically organized, and the editing and formatting was excellent. I agreed with the thesis and the arguments.

I didn't like how almost every chapter began with a story of violence. And there were a couple of times he had to fall back on the old, “it's just not possible for finite humans to understand this concept” cop-out.

I think this book by itself leaves a little more to be desired. Used in conjunction with the video series is the only way I would really re
Robert Reed
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and concise. Mostly an excerpt from his longer (and equally compelling) book, The Case for Christ, Strobel presents a factual case for the birth of Jesus. As a courtroom reporter for many years, he brings a unique perspective to the investigation and begins each chapter with a unique case from his time in the judicial system. The methods used to present evidence in the courtroom are then applied to the Case for Christmas. Easily read in one sitting, especially during the holidays when you ...more
Samantha
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read

Scholars who have spent years exploring some of the objections to Christianity provide Lee Strobel to his questions in this book in a down-to-earth way. A very interesting read for anyone, whether explorer or someone who already has faith in Christ. If we, as Christians, learn about at least some of the objections then this may provide a guiding light to those who seek answers from us. I probably will read this book more than once and also go and read the books those Scholar
Ta'Neisha Kemp
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This journalist styled narrative was excellent! I know everyone can relate to having questions themselves or to not knowing a response when asked a question related to the birth of Christ. In my opinion, reading this book is a good way to prepare your children for apologetics. Since the research was conducted by Mr. Strobel when he was an atheist, you hear a good breakdown of commonly asked questions. Is Christmas a pagan celebration? Did a star really appear? All those questions and more will b ...more
Kev Willoughby
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered whether Jesus was a real person... if you've ever doubted about whether his existence could be proven... this book was written by a skeptic who investigated for 2 years, speaking with experts in archaeology and history and using sources outside the Bible to determine the authenticity of what is written in the Old and New Testaments. This book is certainly worthy of your time and only takes about an hour to go through. You'll likely find every question you've ever thought ...more
Terri Holmgren
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. Written to be easily understood, but debunks all the skeptics complaints about Christmas being based on "pagan" festivals, or borrowing from other supposedly 'virgin births.' Tons of science and archeological updates, but a true believer will not need these. They are encouraging and may be good if you ever get in a discussion where someone raises all these false claims.
Refreshing reinforcement for someone who already has faith, and perhaps instructive for those with d
Rochelle
Lee Strobel was a journalist who set out to prove Christianity wrong, but was surprised that the facts actually led him to believe Jesus was really who He said He was. In this short and quick read, Lee focuses on the birth of Jesus and whether it can be proven that he was really born and that Jesus and only Jesus can be the saviour he claimed to be. I found this deeply fascinating and moving, It was easy to read and the writing style relatable. I would recommend this to anyone seeking their own ...more
Amy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this to any one who has questions about Jesus's birth and the events surrounding it. Weither you are a skeptic or beliver - it is a good read. It really gets you thinking deeper about Jesus and Christmas. It helps it be more than a story or a play kids put on every year. It made me want to continue to look deeper and grow more in my personal faith. It is also a great group study, which I'm also doing with my Sunday school class.
Dan Hamman
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not about a man in a red suit.

This is the story of one man's journey to prove to himself that the story of the Babe in a manger in Bethlehem is the real Christmas story. In his typical mode, the author cover every angle of the story to convince himself that the baby born to a virgin in Bethlehem is the Christ. If you have any doubts about the Christmas story, this is the book for you.
John
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
A short book that gives you some good information, some just condensed from Lee Strobels other books it seems while adding a little bit extra for the Christmas theme here. It could be more Christmas themed, it does not dwell too much into the details around Christmas as it does into Christ. The book, however, is good standing on its own, but it's not too deep dive and does not examine the argument from all sides - but, well enough. Fast read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Romancing Death: A True Story of Vampirism, Death, the Occult and Deliverance
  • Smokescreens
  • Footsteps In The Attic
  • The Next Step
  • 12 Days at Bleakly Manor (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas, #1)
  • Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • Gone Before Christmas (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #10.5)
  • Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church
  • The Rising: Antichrist is Born  (Before They Were Left Behind, #1)
  • Miracles
  • The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope, #6)
Lee Patrick Strobel is an American Christian author, journalist, apologist and pastor. He has written several books, including four which received ECPA Christian Book Awards (1994, 1999, 2001, 2005) and a series which addresses challenges to a Biblically inerrant view of Christianity. Strobel also hosted a television program called Faith Under Fire on PAX TV, and runs a video apologetics web site. ...more

News & Interviews

“Dr. J. P. Moreland pointed out that the disciples were in a unique position to know whether the resurrection actually happened, and they were willing to go to their deaths proclaiming it was true. Moreland’s logic was persuasive. “Obviously,” he said, “people will die for their religious convictions if they sincerely believe they are true.” Religious fanatics have done that throughout history. While they may strongly believe in the tenets of their religion, however, they don’t know for a fact whether their faith is based on the truth. They’re simply not in a position where they can know for sure. They can only believe. In stark contrast, the disciples were in the unique position to know for a fact whether Jesus had returned from the dead. They said they saw him, touched him, and ate with him. And knowing the truth of what they actually experienced, they were willing to die for him. Had they known this was a lie, they would never have been willing to sacrifice their lives. Nobody willingly dies for something that they know is false. They proclaimed the resurrection to their deaths for one reason alone: they knew it was true, because they had personally encountered and experienced the risen Jesus.33 So, ironically, it’s the evidence for Easter that provided the decisive confirmation for me that the Christmas story is true: that the freshly born baby in the manger was the unique Son of God, sent on a mission to be the savior of the world. GOD’S GREATEST GIFT After spending nearly two years investigating the identity” 1 likes