Start by marking “North” as Want to Read:
North

North (Exile trilogy #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  510 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Accompanied by his wife, their cat, and an actor friend, our autobiographical narrator Ferdinand leaves Paris for Baden-Baden (a World War II hideaway for wealthy Germans), is then sent to a bombed-out Berlin, and finally leaves for Denmark in search of the gold he had stashed there prior to the war. With the Third Reich in ruins and the Allied armies on Ferdinand's heels, ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North

Allan MacDonell
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By the time cranky French anti-patriot Louis-Ferdinand Celine scratched out North, he had wandered a far distance from the truculent cataclysms of his Journey to the End of the Night. Celine had slipped from acclaimed iconoclast to outsider disgrace. Branded an anti-Semite, reviled as a Nazi sympathizer, Dr. Destouches had etched a paper trail to support both those assessments. North depicts the squalid exile of Celine, his wife and his cat (the cat is much more fleshed-out than the wife), accom ...more
Mary
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and have finished it more than
once but just keep dipping back into it. It's
always invigorating. If you had to be in Europe
during the final months of World War II, you'd
be lucky to be in the company of this shrewd,
humane doctor (the autobiographical narrator),
and his wife and cat and their actor friend.
"Documentary realism and hallucinatory images"
abound, as the book cover says
Kobe Bryant
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could go on adventures with Celine and his wife and his cat
John
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Run Ferdinand! Run!
Esdaile
J'ai lu la moitié et je suis fasciné. Imaginez un melange de que sais-je? Virginia Woolf et Ernst Junger, peut-être cas donne une idée de cet débordement des récits, obervations, exclamations. Nous sommes aux temps des derniers mois du Troisième Reich. Celine, "collabo" s'échappa de Paris afin de se sauver d'une France invahie par les alliés et les "francais libres" de de Gaulle, une Franmce où il serait surement éxecuté. Comme le francais n'est pas ma langue maternelle j'ai rencontré pas mal de ...more
lyell bark
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
very nice celine, probably his funniest post ww2 novel imho, + nice splenetic h8 for everyone except his wife and bebert the cat. everyone who says journey and morte on the installment plan are his only good books are wrong and imma punch you if you say it to my face. well, not really. but please to reading about a horde of attack geese trained by angry german housewives and have a larff or two. kind of wish they would update the footnotes tho, like, i don't know who all these political ppl form ...more
Richard Fulgham
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Cleline continues his grotesque and unbearably funny journey to the end of the night as WWII ends and he must flee Paris, where he has been rightly branded a Collaborator. This is the story of his escape from France and his journey through a crumbling Germany . . . an absolutely must read for Celine nuts, like me.
Stephen
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read! By turns grotesque and savagely funny, Céline is in top form here.

Who knows how much of this story is fictionalized, but the writer - a Nazi collaborator - did flee Paris as the Allies invaded the continent at the end of WWII.

The journey is a harrowing one but only Céline could make such a thing laugh out loud funny.

HIGHLY recommended.
Tedopon
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
Shelves: fiction
The image of Celine, his wife, best homey and THEIR CAT wandering through bombed out europe during the war, alternating stops between resistance and nazi strongholds is one you will never forget.
Great because it's true (for the most part, I think).
Will More
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
At 450 pages, it's quite a challenge to get through it. I tore through the last 100, though. Celine's style has matured a lot from Journey to North. He's only gotten more despicable and charming over the years. He paints an interesting picture of Nazi Germany on the cusp of defeat. There's a lot to learn from it, and Celine keeps the reader on his toes. I highly recommend this book.
João Reis
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Céline translated by Manheim is just sheer perfection and I wouldn't mind traveling with Céline, Lili and Bébert.
Ali Bagheri
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب ته ندارد، یعنی در واقع ادامه ای دارد که ترجمه نشده، در ویکیپدیا نوشته بعدش ریگادون است. کتاب ابتدا هم ندارد، در ویکیپدیا نوشته قبلش «قصر به قصر» است، که این یکی ترجمه شده، اما چون حواسم نبود که در کتابخانه دارمش و هیچ جای مقدمه به آن اشاره ای نشده متاسفانه نخواندمش
داستان در هتلی در سوییس شروع می شود، آقای سلین مثل خودش دکتر است و زن دارد، اولین بار است که داستانی از سلین میخوانم و ایشان متاهل است، اما تقریبا شخصیتش هیچ جایی حضور ندارد، بیشترین محبتی که آقای نویسنده به زنش کرده فصل آخر بود ک
scott
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Céline's writing style isn't for everyone, but I dig it. I got into him in a European Lit class in college where we read Guignol's Band, which wound up being one of my favorite novels. North comes nowhere near the excellence of that book, but along the way Céline provides us with many great insights and entertaining moments.

North is a sequel to Guignol's Band, and I feel like at this point Céline wasn't as passionate about the events happening to his characters (the main one being a fictionaliz
Maria Gutu
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
''in primul rind indiferent unde si cind,pace,searbad,razboi,convulsii,,vaginuri,stomacuri,penisuri,guri,chestii,,de nu mai stii ce sa faci cu ele!cu toptanul!...inimile insa?...infinit de rare! de vreo cinci sute de milioane de ani,penisurile,tuburile gastrice nici nu se mai numara,inimile insa?...pe degete!...'' si aapre intrebarea vdrug in mozgu tau"a у тебя есть сердце?''da folos esti?
Benjamin
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm lying, I only read half of this. Lots of useless ellipses in a fairly dry autobiographical account from this cantankerous French dude in Germany during WWII. I guess I see why Mark E. Smith dug this guy's writing, and also why so many Fall songs surpass the 5 minute mark. My guess is this book is like 300 pages longer than it needs to be, but I can't really say since I had to bail.
Steve Evans
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second of Celine's end of war trilogy. It is not my favourite and had to be withdrawn and changed because of its depiction of one of the characters. Still, yet another wild ride en route to the finale...
Vincent
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Une merveille. Sûrement, le meilleur ours de Céline avec l'indépassable Voyage.

Un style hallucinant, un sens aigü de l'observation au service d'une histoire parfaitement construite. Un chef d'oeuvre !
Michael S
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Celine does not like mankind...if you can ignore his personal demons and enjoy his skill with the prose then it is fine...however, even at that level this gets a little monotonous...stick with Journey to the end of the night...unless you too are a misanthrope!!!
Steve
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: world-war-2
A man, his wife, and their cat leave Paris as World War II draws to a close and make their way through Germany and Denmark in search of hidden gold from the pre-war days. Celine's writing style isn't for everyone.
Adam  McPhee
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't really describe what it is about Celine. You should read one of John Dolan's reviews instead.

There's this: http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.p...

And this: http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.p...
Gary
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny, brutal, hallucinatory novel about the destruction of Germany at the end of WWII. I'm an admitted Celine nut, but this (along with Castle to Castle and Rigadoon, the other two novels in this WWII trilogy) is just brilliant on another level.
Rooja K-d
چیز زیادی از کل کتاب نفهمیدم... به نظرم یه روایت نگاری اومد اما خیلی برام مفهوم نبود...
Clifford
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
hoorar bebert
Lolo
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Première partie d'une trilogie autobiographique sur l'exil de Céline en Allemagne à la fin de la guerre. Un style unique, un récit haletant, vivement la suite...
Esdaile
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to read this in English. So much depends upon the language. I have written a short review of the book in French for the French edition.
Sorin Hadârcă
Un stil de a scrie original, suculent, demenţial... şi aproape ilizibil.
Ian Rogers
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Only as high as a 3 because it's Celine, and because the historical context is interesting. I would not recommend this book to any but fairly serious fans of Celine's work, it's a bit of a slog.
Soheyl Vahed
  • The Voyeur
  • Vichy France: Old Guard and New Order 1940-1944
  • Christ Versus Arizona
  • Querelle of Brest
  • The Politics of Cultural Despair: A Study in the Rise of the Germanic Ideology
  • On Elegance While Sleeping
  • The Adventures of Gil Blas
Louis-Ferdinand Céline, pen name of Dr. Louis-Ferdinand Destouches, is best known for his works Voyage au bout de la nuit (Journey to the End of the Night), and Mort à crédit (Death on the Installment Plan). His highly innovative writing style using Parisian vernacular, vulgarities, and intentionally peppering ellipses throughout the text was used to evoke the cadence of speech.
Louis-Ferdinand Des
More about Louis-Ferdinand Céline...

Exile trilogy (3 books)
  • Castle to Castle
  • Rigadoon

“so many vaginas, stomachs, cocks, snouts, and flies you don't know what to do with them ... shovelsfull! ... but hearts? ... very rare! in the last five hundred million years too many cocks and gastric tubes to count ... but hearts? ... on your fingers! ...” 80 likes
“whenever they get a chance, never fear, people make you waste hours and months ... they use you as a wall to bounce their bullshit off of ... blah! and blah! and blahblahblah! ... you put up with it for an hour, you'll need two weeks to recover ... blah! blah!” 40 likes