Start by marking “The Arrl Extra Class License Manual ” as Want to Read:
The Arrl Extra Class License Manual

The Arrl Extra Class License Manual

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
All You Need To Pass Your Extra Class Exam!

Pass the 50-question Extra Class test.
All the Exam Questions with Answer Key, for use July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2012.
Detailed explanations for all questions, including FCC rules.
The ARRL Extra Class License Manual is your ticket to every privilege granted to Amateur Radio Operators. Our expert instruction will lead you through a
Paperback, 1 page
Published June 1st 2002 by American Radio Relay League (ARRL)

To ask other readers questions about The Arrl Extra Class License Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arrl Extra Class License Manual

Stephen Rapley
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I passed my amateur license exam here in Australia about 40 years ago. For that, I had to write essays about things like neutralizing a valve (tube) power amplifier. A lot has changed since then. New technology like software defined radio. In January I heard that local hams were conducting US license exams here. My first resolution of the year was to pass the US exams for all three levels. I'm happy to say I made it. There was no real need to do it, but it was a personal challenge - a little lik ...more
X
Dec 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amateur radio operators
I finally made it through this book! It's very technical, and there are a lot of typos that are hopefully corrected in the newest edition. Recommended for amateur radio operators who are going to up-grade their license, but not for the casual reader.
Frank A
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to spend $25, buy the 2012-2016 edition of this book. The FCC's Extra class question pool was updated in 2012. Not all of the exam questions in this book will be the same as those in the current question pool. If you want to save money, buy this outdated edition for $4 to $7.28, then DOWNLOAD THE MOST CURRENT QUESTION POOL FOR FREE AT http://www.arrl.org/question-pools . The questions might be different, but the theory is exactly the same.

I took a nighttime class, in 2009, in a physi
David Waldron
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech-ham-radio
Just like the Technician and the General before it, this book covers everthing you need to know to pass the test. That's the rub. You also need to have a background in electrical engineering to understand about 30% of what's being discussed unless you are simply going to memorize answers.

The book is an incredible reference though. I passed the test on my first try and I didn't just memorize question/answer combinations (though I'll admit that there was some of that...I'm not too proud to admit t
James
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
I haven't touched amateur radio in almost 20 years, and I pretty much had no future interest without doing some serious learning about it. Working towards my Extra license help fulfill that interest.

I give the book 3 stars which for a technical book should not be construed as a low rating. It falls comfortably in the category of "i liked it" just fine. I learned much and with the aid of a sample test app, passed my exam only missing one question.

The book is mostly laid out in a sensible and lo
Vernon
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I managed to get this in the mail about two days before I took the Amateur Extra exam. I had been studying with online materials up to that point. It was nice to be able to have a corpus of text that fully explained each question. There was a lot of material in this book that I never learned in college, so it was good to have diagrams and detailed explanations of new topics. I kind of wish that the book went into more detail on some of the subjects; it seemed that many of the subjects only cover ...more
Eugene Mah
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amateur-radio
Filled with lots of info to get you through the Amateur Extra test and beyond. Even after you've passed the test, this book will serve as a useful reference for the future. The entire Element 4 exam pool is provided in the back of the book. The software included on the CD lets you review all of the questions and can be set to give brief explanations of the answers. You can also take practice exams to your heart's content.
Nathan Shepherd
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Includes all the ARRL test questions, but provides a grounding in basic electronics, RF theory, operation, safety, etc. that builds on previous ARRL license manuals and that keeps you referring to it well beyond having passed the Extra exam. Contains hours and hours of study material, but presents it in a way that allows you to quickly prepare for the exam while hopefully remembering how those questions fit into the larger scheme of radio communications, in general. Excellent.
Blair
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The last certification in the path to becoming a Ham guru. With the Amateur Extra license, no amateur radio band is off limits to you and you can begin designing your own antennas and even radios. You also get into the nitty-gritty of signal propagation, circuit calculations, and more.

When I take the test (50 questions this time), I'll let you know how I did.
John
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edge-of-your-seat-reading! Espcially the propagation secont. Trans-equatorial, Grey-Line, Meteor-Scatter, Moon Bounce, Auroral. And transmission lines? Who knew....elecrical length is different than physical lenght. Gotta love it!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »