Start by marking “In Her Shoes” as Want to Read:
In Her Shoes

In Her Shoes

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  190,705 ratings  ·  2,655 reviews
Rose Feller is thirty; a successful lawyer with high hopes of a relationship with Jim, Mr Not-Quite-Right, a senior partner in her firm. The last thing she needs is her messed-up, only occasionally employed sister Maggie moving in: drinking, smoking, stealing her money - and her shoes - and spoiling her chance of romance. If only Maggie would grow up and settle down with a ...more
Published 2005 by Washington Square Press (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Shoes, please sign up.
Sandy Bergeson I thought the depiction of sisters who are total opposites was spot-on. Rarely do I see sisters who are alike and are best friends...They may love…moreI thought the depiction of sisters who are total opposites was spot-on. Rarely do I see sisters who are alike and are best friends...They may love each other and support each other but are NOT bestf riends.,
(less)
Claire
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  190,705 ratings  ·  2,655 reviews

Start your review of In Her Shoes
Amanda
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
***Some mild spoilers ahead***

Typically, this isn't my kind of book and, if the rating system allowed for half stars, I would have more accurately given it a 2 1/2. This is one of those it was the right book for the right time scenarios. I had just finished reading Nineteen Eighty-Four and Fahrenheit 451 and, suffering a dystopian hangover, needed something light that didn't involve too much thinking. This certainly fit the bill.

From the get-go we have a stereotypical plot: two sisters (one
Karen
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was surprisingly enjoyable - a lot better than some of the other chick lit shit I've read. I would have given it another star, but the movie (which I've seen many more times than I should probably admit) did a much better job of building a story arc and tying up the various plot lines. To the point where it's like, that's so perfect and obvious, how did Jennifer Weiner not think of doing that herself? But still, thumbs up for the book.
Alaina
Pretty sure I didn't even like the movie so I'm kind of wondering why I wanted to read the book? Maybe I thought the book was going to be better? I have no idea why I did though because I didn't like either of them!

Okay, In Her Shoes has one dumb sister and one smart sister. A pretty common theme for some writers but not my favorite. I couldn't really connect to either sister, Maggie or Rose, because it just didn't seem that realistic to me.

Before I get any hate comments or rants from people
Diane
This is another fun novel from Jennifer Weiner. I was curious to read it because I had seen the movie version (starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette) and I liked the story about two sisters who were total opposites, and yet still found ways to love and help each other. It was a pleasant, enjoyable read.
Alison
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Weiner can write funny passages. There's the 80-something woman who uses her new computer to print fake parking permits. The fussy pug that prefers more elegant surroundings. Maggie's attempt to get into the MTV VJ auditions. I did grin a few times while reading this book.

But glimmers of situational humor aren't enough to overcome the bigger problems with this novel. It's formulaic, even for chick lit. Two sisters don't get along - one's chubby and bookish, the other a wild party girl.
Erin
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of chick flicks
Shelves: adultfiction
It's hard to believe that Rose and Maggie are sisters - it seems the only thing they have in common is their shoe size. Rose is the responsible sister; at age thirty, she's a lawyer at a successful firm, and she's finally found herself a good boyfriend. Maggie is twenty-eight; she is the attractive sister. Despite her looks, she has not held a job for very long at all. Flighty and irresponsible, she detests Rose's approach to life.

Unfortunately for the sisters, Maggie is forced to move in with
Tree
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems Weiner must have had a terrible jerk for a father and stuck up leech for a sister, because all her books seem to dance around this.

I read Weiner hoping to find a new stronger "Good In Bed" but never do. This book was entertaining but not good. I refused to watch the movie because the main character should be at lest a tad fat. Instead, in typical Hollywood fashiong, they just made a thin girl homely.
Alicia Perkins
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad. Just bad. Resisting the urge to burn it, but only to avoid accruing overdue library book fees.
Annalisa
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone with a long flight
Recommended to Annalisa by: Laralee
Maybe there was too much sex or scandal, but I didn't find myself endeared to the characters. The story and writing are alright, about appreciating your sisters, but the inconsistencies of character, plot holes, and shock value ruined it for me. It did have good perspectives into the mind of the smart "fat" girl and the attractive "stupid" girl and how they clash. Plus, Weiner's formula for plot seem to follow to same consistent lines: fat girl who is funny and smart, incredulous twist of fate, ...more
Kolleen
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm gonna be honest, I was a little skeptical of it. I am not one to really get into girly books: books about shopping, and dating, and partying. I usually like the more dramatic fiction, but I fell in love with this one!

The story is ultimately about two sisters: the free spirit, partying, beautiful sister, and the uptight, chunky, plain sister. The only thing these sisters have in common is the death of their mother and shoes. So begins the

Julia (jaylamm.reads)
This was my first time reading a Jennifer Weiner novel, and I think I will read more in the future. I chose this book because it met the requirements for a reading challenge- book with unlikable character. This book delivered on that! I liked the dynamic relationship of the sisters, and I really enjoyed that the story was told through different points of view. I am interested in watching the movie to see how it will portray the characters.
Sandra
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It's been a while since I've read this, think it was 2005.

But anyway, a nice light read, but with some interesting not always fun truth about family. It has this perfect balance between fun and seriousness. The sisters love each other, but there is this older younger sibling dynamic going on that has stuck since childhood. Both have things to learn and do in order to break away from that and that was well written and I was happy with the ending. It was good without becoming corny.
Alicia
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-books
This book was about 400 pages too long. They could have made it cute and fun. It never went anywhere ... it was totally predictable and I kept waiting for some twist. BORING.

I love girl books but this one took way to long and the book ended about half way through.
Jaclynne Ann
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I think I’m coming to the realization that fluffy chick lit is just not for me.
Claire King
A solid 3.5 stars from me! A story that will connect with you for sure if you have a sister. I definitely saw a lot of myself in Rose and a lot of similarities in our lives. Rose & Maggie had my tears flowing by the end! I’m excited to watch the movie.
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Candace
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ok ~ Well I almost burned the book! I was half way through it and one of the most despicable things happened and I felt like it was the last straw! I didn't burn it, even though the rage was definitely there! I just can't do that.
I decided to give the book 1 more chance after I read a few reviews on it proclaiming that it was all going to get resolved... among other things ~ yes there were a few spoilers out there, but they helped me to come back to the book, so I was grateful.
After starting
Jackie's Bookbytes
This story is about two sisters , Maggie and Rose, who lost their mother when they were young and grew up with a cantankerous wicked stepmother . Their father broke all ties toward their mothers side of the family after her car accident but eventually the girls are reunited with their grandmother in the course of the book . It was supposed to be a tearjerker which is why I thought to read it , but it didn't affect me that way .I liked following Maggie , the younger of the two who was more of a ...more
Antof9
If I listed the Jennifer Weiner books in order of preference, I'd say "Good in Bed", then "Little Earthquakes", and then this. But the movie of this! WOW. So good.

My notes from BookCrossing: Another fun book by Jennifer Weiner. Not quite as humorous as Good in Bed, a little deeper and a little more introspective, this one is good, but not as good as GIB. Maybe the author was trying too hard to write a more serious book? It's a fascinating story of 2 sisters trying to navigate through life
Michelle
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prepared to hate this book. I hadn't heard anything about it, but I had seen the movie trailers, and it looked like some kind of silly romance story. Someone told me they loved it, and while I don't remember who it was, it is someone who's opinion I respect, so I figured I would give it a try, just to say I tried. The first few pages made me believe that I was probably going to be right, but I plodded on, figuring I would just "get through it". Well, the farther I got into it, the better ...more
Ellen Gail
Jan 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: seen-the-movie
Clearance book sales are my enemy. I am the proud owner of 9 more paperbacks that I have zero room for (but at a total bargain!) I loved the movie version of this. Toni Collette is amazing in everything ever and I think I love her a little bit? Like she may have been 90% of the reason I bought this.

Long story short I have it so I suppose I'll read it at some point.
Elyse
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first stab at "chick lit". Entertaining, but also long-winded and editing mistakes drove me crazy. Also, subplots and characters disappear without explanation, or seem completely unnecessary. The main characters are unrealistic and unlikeable.
Katherine Bates
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I kept thinking the book was to familiar (sometime is read things again without realizing - that is why I use Goodreads now) but then I realized I think I saw part of the movie on TV at some point. Guess that is why I kept picturing Shirley McClain as Ella!
M
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose and Maggie. Siblings who share a true love-hate relationship. Rose is the sorted one. A successful career and many many amazing shoes. Maggie is the wayward child. A child who enters the big bad world too soon, and too badly.
Rose does take care of her as much as she can, but how do you help someone who doesn't want to be helped?
Maggie doesn't make it any easier. She decided to fight the world right back; the world includes Rose.
Rose is battling a few demons of her own, as well.
I will
Britt Vermeylen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book “In her shoes” is about two sisters, Maggie and Rose Feller, that have nothing alike except for their shoe size. When Maggie got in some trouble at her High School reunion, Rose is there to help her sister out. Rose allows Maggie to stay with her as long as she needs to but along the way the two sister have some serious ups and downs. Which lead to Maggie leaving the apartment and Rose left behind in a furious rage. After a while of wandering around at Princeton University, Maggie ...more
Sonja
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The art of losing isn't hard to master." - Elizabeth Bishop 'One Art' poem

I read this book before the movie came out and I was so excited to see the movie after reading it. The movie is very close to the book, but of course the book is better! There is so much more you get from the book, though you can easily watch the movie without reading the book.

This is ultimately a story of sisters - their differences, their strengths and their weaknesses and the ultimate bond that glues them together for
S.J.
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many good moments and interesting thoughts, sadly coupled with questionable drivel. The humour sometimes bordered on offensive, as seems too often the case with today's chick lit/comedy fiction.

It's the story of three women. Rose Feller is a plain, conservative, bright thirty-year-old lawyer in Philadelphia. Her younger sister Maggie is a learning-disabled, shallow, irresponsible young woman who loses one job after another and keeps a string of boyfriends. Ella Hirsh is an old widow in Florida
Angie ColourMeBlessed
I was wanting a frivolous light read and this fit the bill perfectly. To the review that said they like the movie better... No. I immediately watched the movie the day I finished the book. No comparison. Enormous character developing portions of the book are missing. But thumbs up on the book.
Clacie
I pretty much hated this book. Neither of these women were likable or had any redeeming qualities, and I had no desire to root for either one of them. Maybe this made them more "real" but I come across enough jerks in real life that I don't need to experience book jerks.
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was an option for 3.5 stars. It was a quick, fun summer read. Nothing earth shattering ad far as the writing. The relationships and characters were well written and well defined with a good sense of closure at the end. Worth a read.
Formatted Files Recovery software 1 4 Nov 23, 2018 04:19AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count 4 18 Aug 24, 2016 03:19AM
Lets get some shoes 3 51 Aug 12, 2011 08:57PM
Currently Available Free 1 57 May 18, 2008 01:37PM

• The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)
  • The Nanny Diaries (Nanny, #1)
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel, #1)
  • Everyone Worth Knowing
  • Baby Proof
  • The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1)
  • P.S. I Love You (P.S. I Love You, #1)
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
  • Love the One You're With
  • Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
  • Chasing Harry Winston
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Trading Up
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of sixteen books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and, most recently, Mrs. Everything. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.
“Hell is an Eagles game where the bleachers are always freezing, the team is always loosing, and my family is insane” 9 likes
“Baby," groaned the guy-Ted? Tad?-something like that-and crushed his lips against the side of her neck, shoving her face against the wall of the toilet stall.” 6 likes