Start by marking “Comes the Blind Fury” as Want to Read:
Comes the Blind Fury

Comes the Blind Fury

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  6,022 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
A century ago, a gentle blind girl walked the cliffs of Paradise Point. Then the children came -- taunting, teasing -- until she lost her footing and fell, shrieking her rage to the drowning sea... Now Michelle has come from Boston to live in the big house on Paradise Point. She is excited about her new life, ready to make new friends... until a hand reaches out of the swi ...more
Published November 3rd 2010 by Dell (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Comes the Blind Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comes the Blind Fury

Sandra
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, horror
The Pendleton family arrive at their new home in Paradise Point (a village a couple of hours northeast of Boston). Dr. Calvin Pendleton has switched jobs, from working at a hospital in Boston, to a small clinic in Paradise Point. After treating a small boy in Boston who had an accident and died (he fell from a roof) Cal now feels guilty over the boy's death and is questioning his abilities/judgment. Another doctor that originally worked on the boy, who happened to be from Paradise Point, suggest ...more
Matthew
3.5 Stars

Not bad for a simple thriller - easy to read and creepy in several places.

I started reading Saul from the beginning of his career and in these early books he definitely has a formula - in a couple of months I am pretty sure I will not remember if something happened in this book or the others I have read. But, i do enjoy these and will probably read more.
Kasia
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few John Saul’s in the past but this one was a bit different, it went deeper into the psyche of the characters he created making their grief and pain so much more realistic. The atmosphere surrounding this scary and thrilling novel was quite good, in fact it was one of the most realistic parts and I felt the salty breeze, saw the sandy dunes and the sea grass sprouting near the Pendleton house right over the cliffs near the cemetery in the quaint town of Paradise Point. It seemed t ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Rather generic, but chilling and haunting enough to be memorable. John Saul's novel is filled with cliffhangers, complex characters and eerie false innocence that'll leave you ever-wondering.
Kate
John Saul's early novels are characterized by archaic, Biblical-sounding titles with pictures of people with weird blank eyes.

When I searched for John Saul, the first FIRST book on the list is by Dean Koontz. Ah, John Saul, did you want to be Dean Koontz as well as Stephen King? Well, I suppose since you would never be Stephen King, and Dean Koontz for a while was a second-rate Stephen King, then we are left with John Saul, who is the bargain-basement Stephen King.
Melanie
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first John Saul and had it not been for this one I probably wouldn't have tried for years to get my hands on every John Saul book that was ever written. It was the first of many to be read. Loved it; cover to cover Exceptional Writer. Highly recommend this.
Jessica
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books stressed me out in the best possible way. Vivid but heartbreaking characters and great suspense. I all at once needed to know how it ended and dreaded reading the next page.
Rhonda A.
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first John Saul book that I read and I was completely hooked on his books from day one. They are well written, interesting, and easy to read. This is the only author that I own every single book he has written and when a new one comes out I buy it without even looking to see what it is about. He is THAT good!
Tom
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Twelve-year-old Michelle isn't sure what to expect when her family moves from Boston to the tiny seaside village of Paradise Point. She knows her father, Dr. Cal Pendleton, is reeling from a mistake he made, a mistake which caused a young boy to die during surgery. Michelle's mother, June, is very pregnant, and can't wait to resume her career as an artist.

After the mishap in Boston, Cal meets Dr. Josiah Carson, the elderly doctor who accompanied the doomed boy from Paradise Point to Boston. Dr.
Crystal
While I loved this book - classic John Saul - and read it within a two days - I felt that some of the characters acted like props. The father figure turns easily into a complete *hole. The mother figure goes with it and tries to make everyone happy without really doing anything about it. The neighbor boy seems to lack action or feelings unless it is related to someone else's feelings. It was a classic John Saul story - something horrible happen in the past and the house is haunted in some sense ...more
Joanie
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school, scary
My sister and I were on a big John Saul kick when we were in junior high and high school. We eventually got tired of the formulaic storytelling but for a while there we were hooked. This one was about a blind girl who winds up dying while being teased by a group of kids and she comes back to enact her revenge. I think I'll stay away from any re-reads and just be happy with my memories of this one!
Trudi
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read early John Saul since I was a teenager. Can't remember hardly a thing other than they scared me at the time and contributed to my love of horror. I can't imagine any of his books would have the same effect on me now. John Saul just isn't that good of a writer, even all these years later, I don't think he's gotten any better.
Anne Barnett
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have actually read this book twice. The first time was when I was a tween. I reread it recently because I had always been bragging about what a great book it was. This book is a great starter book for someone who wants to get into the horror genre. Nothing gruesome particularly disturbing occurs in this story.
Wendy F
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this in years. My rating may change if I were to read it now. I just remember loving the premise of this book, I would read it over and over again.
Brandy
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Great book for being my first John Saul book I read.I give it 5 stars
Sarah Moser
Read it when I was 12. Scared me to death. About to reread it again 13 years later! :-D
Molly
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good, definitely spooky at times, if it was a movie I probably couldn't watch it, but it was a fun read. Fast-paced and attention grabbing!
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
John Saul isn't particularly adventurous with venturing far off formulas, but I remember enjoying this one. It needs a re-read to refresh my memory and so I can give it a proper review.
Roger Ouellette
Ghostly retribution and creepy dolls, what's not to like.
Trisha
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
Amanda net twaalf jaar. Ze was een klein, tenger meisje. Altijd in het zwart gekleed. Het belangrijkste ze was blind. Ze liep met haar stok tastend over het pad langs de kust over de rotsen.
Toen kwamen de kinderen. Ze treiterden haar en Amanda wilde daar weg. Ze vluchtte en toen was er niets meer. Geen grond niets...

Honderd jaar later verhuist Michelle met haar stiefouders naar Paradise Point. Ze is twaalf en altijd vrolijk. En verheugd zich op haar nieuwe bestaan in een nieuwe omgeving. Maar da
K.S. Thompson
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don’t remember how old I was the first time I read “Comes The Blind Fury”. It was published in 1980 and was one of my Mom’s Doubleday Book Club picks. Her copy was a hardcover, so she must have bought it within a year of it being published. I saw it sitting on the shelf, in all its purple glory, and was immediately drawn to the image on the cover. This book had a huge impact on me. So much so that I have re-read it almost every year since.

The only fault I found when reading it this time around
PJ
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing with John Saul - at least some of his earlier stuff from the late 70s, early 80s: his characters make decisions and act based on the needs of the plot, rather than on their own internal logic.

There's a lot to like about this story. It's rare these days that I get really creeped out by a book, but there are some images early on in here that really feel like they're going somewhere; really gave me a chill. Unfortunately, the characters were so poorly realised that as the story pr
Geoff Battle
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saul doesn't pull any punches in this old school horror yarn. As ususal the supernatural is low key, a mencaing undercurrent, whilst the actions of the central charatcers are the keystones of this pageturner. The fractured family and little-girl-lost approach were far fresher back when this was written, however it plats out better than many of today's similar stories.

The writing is a little clumsy for Saul, the stalling in the middle parts distracting, however the final fifth made this one of hi
Harry
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh this book is a complete page turner I could not put it down. The story line is terrific and just over all... a great book.
Heaven
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is really well written and it kept me in the book the whole time i was reading it.
Raomer
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typisch John Saul. Das Grauen nimmt kein Ende.
Jackie Green
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first John Saul I ever read. It will always be my fav
Monica Perez
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saul
Saul outdid himself with this book. So spooky!
Gore and More: The Other 3 16 Nov 11, 2013 11:44PM
  • University
  • Haunted
  • Julia
  • The Lake
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Bethany's Sin
  • American Supernatural Tales
  • Ancient Images
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • The Haunting
  • Prom Dress
  • Darkfall
  • Kathleen (Sunfire, #8)
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland