Start by marking “Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #4)

Fisherman's Hope (Seafort Saga #4)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Newly appointed Naval Commandant Nicholas Seafort's past unexpectedly catches up with him when an evil politician blackmails him into giving up his commission. But then an alien attack revives Nick's career, and soon he will lead Earth's defenses against annihilation. Alone at the center of a cosmic apocalypses, Nick will face his most challenging battle.
Paperback, Aspect science fiction, 482 pages
Published March 1st 1996 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about Fisherman's Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fisherman's Hope

Daniel
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pocetak ok, srednji deo je dosadan i totalno nepotreban (mirno moze da se izbaci jedno 150 ama bas nista se ne gubi od price). Ali je zato zavrsnica odlicna i preterano odradjena. Glavni lik me je dosta nervirao u ovim knjigama do sada ali nacin na koji je prikazan njegov unutrasnji lom sangom volje da odradi svoju duznost je vrhunska. I sada me malo podilazi jeza kako je sve odradjeno.

Jedino sto mi je smetalo jesu sami protivnici, slobo objasnjeni i sem sto postoje amam bas nista drugo ne znamo
Lance
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Not sure why I read this entire book. Some of it drags on, and paints a future of widening gap between haves and have nots. I have read the Midshipman's Hope but I doubt if I will read the rest of series.
Samantha
This is the fourth voyage of Nicholas Seafort, set in the future 2201 when Earth is under attack by fish-like aliens and suffering crippling losses never knowing when the next attack is coming. Seafort is the newly appointed Naval Academy Commandant, the hero of Hope Nation entrusted with the responsibility of educating and creating the next generation of Navy officers and crew vital for the survival of Earth's future. Basically this is Navy in space.

David Feintuch really knows how to write a gr
Thomas
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Not a bad sci-fi series. It has been a while since I read them but I remember thinking they were a bit repetitive. 100% completely hopeless situations. No chance of survival repeatedly stressed. Then, the good guy wins and or escapes nigh-on completely unharmed. This is followed by the main character wallowing in guilt. And then repeat. Not an unusual pattern, of course, but this pattern repeats so many times in each book that the situations lose any real feeling of hopelessness or suspense. In ...more
Gini
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the final book in the first arc of the Seafort Saga. These books are a bit hard to find because they are out of print, but I was sucked into the series. It's military scifi, which is not a genre I generally read. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the series. The protagonist makes hard and horrible choices, choices that are much more realistic to me than the "we get everyone out alive" rah rah of much scifi. I don't want to spoil the books. I recommend them.
Brad
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Each book in the Seafort saga has basically followed the same premise. Nick Seafort feels bad, saves everybody, is vindicated and then feels more guilt. Not your best military sci fi space opera series. There are some intriguing elements that do keep me a little bit interested, but I am glad I am just over halfway through the series.
Rhode
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

Would have been far better without the long interlude wandering through the post-apocolyptic-style streets of New York. But you can skip that part completely and it's a good book.

And who can't resist it when Seafort shoves his gibbering superiors out of the way to save the day in a space battle?
Foxtower
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
I would HOPE that after the three "something" Hope books I did enjoy that I never read one again. C'mon Mr. Fentuch, one expects mystery writers to use the same characters and basic plots over and over and over again, but one would HOPE sci fi explores original ideas.
Lea
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
thank god he recovered from the writing slump of prisoner's and challengers hope
D.J. Butler
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space-opera
I really like this series. It's Horatio Hornblower in space, with the Hornblower character driven by his self-loathing and an inflexible belief in his own damnation. British naval fiction in space.
Katherine
This is one of the better books in the Seafort series, although at times it seems a little too packed with stuff. The final section is really the best, though.
Jeffrey
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The series still has some good moments, but they are at the tale end of the novel. Its clear that the whole series is starting to go downhill.
Rob Markley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
The rationale has broken down - everything has got too harsh, too extreme and too unlikable. We're looking for Hornblower but we end up with Captain Bligh
Pascal Schuppli
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As with the other Seafort books, I'm a bit uncomfortable with all the corporal punishment and tearful teenage boys. If you can ignore the authors seeming fascination with these, though, this is one of the better books in the series.

The plot is visibly constructed to allow for the ending. But what an ending! As other reviewers write, Seafort is always on a guilt trip. Up to this book the guilt was always ridiculous, stemming from a skewed view of himself and his actions in a universe where mankin
Ed
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: SciFi fans
I hung in there but was put off by the constant, grinding relating of Captain Seafort's screw-ups. This aspect dragged the whole book down and has me thinking twice about reading the next volume in the series. I still gave it a three star rating because there were parts of the book where I couldn't put it down but then we'd revert to Seafort beating himself up for something he said or did in excruciating detail.

The story opens with Seafort taking over command of the Naval Academy. A good part of
hevs
I fell in love with first book almost instantly. Then, when I was reading the second I thought it is not as good as the first... (first part of Challenger's Hope is TERRIBLE, I was so happy I didn’t bought all books at once, just the second one at the time!) until it became as good or maybe even better at some aspects as the Midshipman's Hope. Then, reading third I was like “cool, but not as good as the first two”... until it proved its merit. Fourth one was nice from the beginning but... yeah, ...more
Lara
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: space-adventures
The first three-quarters of this book were eons better than the last two. Is Nick Seafort still waaaaaaay too hard on himself? Yes he is. But the supporting cast of bright young cadets, the sarcasm of Tolliver, and the interlude-adventure when he and Eddie go into the depths of ruined New York kept his self-loathing from overwhelming the narrative. I also enjoyed the flashback scenes of Young Nick, a couple of which even gave his cold father some depth.

Then came the last bit. The fish, and the c
A. Roy King
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fisherman's Hope is the fourth novel in David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, a military science-fiction series reminiscent of C.S. Forester's Hornblower novels. In Fisherman's Hope, Nicholas Seafort finds himself in charge of the UN navy's academy. However, an alien attack forces him to take desperate measures to defeat a relentless enemy, using a fighting force made up only of midshipmen and cadets.

As with the other novels in the series, Fisherman's Hope is exciting and well-written. The main charact
Kickarse Heroine
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, military
Fisherman's Hope is the fourth in the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. Taking up where Prisoner's Hope left off, Nick Seafort tried to resign from service but was roped into becoming the new Academy Commandant. Not only is the job not quite what he expected, but there are a few major issues within the structure of the academy that Nick has to sort out along the way. Then the alien enemy finds Earth and everything Nick Seafort believes in and stands for is tested.

I nearly cried at the end of this
Leelan
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a KILLER. Everything is going along just as they always seem to in Seafort's life, lurching from one crisis to the next, until you get to nearly the end and he faces "the end of life as we know it!" Once that starts it is pellmell and the devil take the hindmost! I was exhausted by the time I read the last page. To worn out even to tell Goodreads that I was finished. There are two more books in the series but I am in no shape to read them. I will try to find something lighter to rea ...more
Chris Moyer
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Michael
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This was the toughest of 4 to get through. The lack of realistic military discipline is distracting, and the story line focused on Annie tiring. Being stationed at an Academy is less exciting than zipping around the Galaxy.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The book "Fisherman's Hope" by David Feintuch, is a lovely book. You realy feel what is going on in Nicky's head and all the trouble he has been through. At the end He does the most unspeekable thing. To find out, STOP READING REVIEW AND READ SOME BOOKS!!!
Patrick Nichol
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing piece of sci-fi goodness. A hard-charging adventure complete with lessons on morality, military leadership and class. Nicholas Seafort shares a lot of with leaders like Hornblower and Sharpe. This is well worth your time.
Brad T.
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ever, 2013
So good
Andy2302
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Started this not knowing it was book 3. It's for a younger reader but quite interesting none the less.
Fatbaldguy60
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Maybe not quite up the previous books, but good.
G.M.
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite authors and one of my Top 5 Book Series!
Kevin Taylor
Sep 08, 2013
Adam Fassanella
Dec 27, 2015
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Rising Storm (Exodus: Empires at War, #3)
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • Admiral's Tribulation (Spineward Sectors, #3)
  • Command Decisions (Empire of Bones Saga, #3)
  • Singularity (Star Carrier, #3)
  • Commander (The David Birkenhead Series, #4)
  • Shadows of the Gods (Crimson Worlds Refugees #2)
David Feintuch (1944–2006) was the author of the award-winning military science fiction Seafort Saga series, which spans Midshipman’s Hope, Challenger’s Hope, Prisoner’s Hope, Fisherman’s Hope, Voices of Hope, Patriarch’s Hope, and Children of Hope. Feintuch came to writing late, previously having worked as a lawyer and antiques dealer. In 1996, at the age of fifty, he won the John W. Campbell Awa ...more
More about David Feintuch...

Seafort Saga (7 books)
  • Midshipman's Hope (Seafort Saga, #1)
  • Challenger's Hope (Seafort Saga, #2)
  • Prisoner's Hope (Seafort Saga, #3)
  • Voices of Hope (Seafort Saga, #5)
  • Patriarch's Hope (Seafort Saga, #6)
  • Children of Hope (Seafort Saga, #7)