Start by marking “Max and Maddy and the Chocolate Money Mystery” as Want to Read:
Max and Maddy and the Chocolate Money Mystery

Max and Maddy and the Chocolate Money Mystery (Max & Maddy)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Another great young readers’ series from the creator of Mma Ramotswe, Isabel Dalhousie, Harriet Bean and Akimbo!

Max and Maddy Twist have a flair for solving crimes. You might even say it’s in their blood. That’s because their parents once ran a thriving detective agency–until their nemesis, the notorious Professor Claude Sardine, shut them down.

But now Max and Maddy are r
Published March 6th 2007 by Knopf Canada (first published February 21st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Max and Maddy and the Chocolate Money Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max and Maddy and the Chocolate Money Mystery

Liam Leftley
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Alexander McCall Smith's 'The Chocolate Money Mystery' sees two siblings, Max and Maddy, take on the villainous Professor Sardine and his assistant in the backdrop of the picturesque and snow-glistened Swiss alps.

The book is written in a style that will allow children to put themselves in the place of Max and Maddy as they leave their family home to help Swiss banker Mr Huddendorf in finding out who has been stealing the bank's money. The children soon discover that the evil Professor Sardine ha
Dolly
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy mysteries
This is the first book in the Max & Maddy series by Alexander McCall Smith. There are only two books in the series, so I'm guessing this series just didn't take off. I can kinda see why.

The story is very odd and implausible and despite the action and drama, the plot falls flat. The book begins with conflict and history that precedes this tale, but with very little details. That story begs to be told, but from what I can tell, it's not going to be.

Overall, the story was okay, but not great.
Sean Harding
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, youth, humour
Next book in the Alexander McCall Smith challenge sees the first of a two part series about two young detectives - all over the top and quite humorous with less mystery and more "Dahlesque" adventure. Fun reading though and should be entertaining for the target market audience.
This one was after his first book in the adult book and now only one more before the ladies detectives come out.
Sarah Adamson
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun chapter book mystery which made my daughter laugh out loud and sit and read for almost an hour straight as she wanted to solve the problem. Excellent writing as usual!
Varenya B
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the book was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Talia
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Max and Maddy’s parents once were detectives, until the evil Dr. Sardine framed them and forced them to close their business. Now Max and Maddy are solving crimes themselves, a robbery that leads to a racket of St. Bernard dogs!

First of all, the title has nothing to do with the story until the very end. Second, if you listen to this on disk, Alexander McCall Smith does not have a very good reading voice. For a short mystery for kids, stick with the Sherlock Files.
JoDean
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We laughed out loud reading this tonight. I'm always looking for early chapter books that are engaging and do not use dumbed-down vocabulary. In my opinion, this book fits the bill. Alexander McCall-Smith writes as well for kids as he does for adults.

The villian is Professor Sardine. He plays mean and nasty tricks like stealing 2000 pairs of underwear, treating them with itching powder and reselling them! Funny to my 9 yo boy!
Easton Gibb
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
What was this book about? -- "It was about Max and Maddy and a chocolate money mystery. There was two bank robbers and they stole dogs. They made those dogs bank rob. They found the money."

Why did you like this book? -- "Because it was about private spys and I'm one too."

Is there anything you did not like about this book? -- "Nope, there wasn't anything that I did not like. I liked everything about this book, because that is what I do."
Theo kids
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A crime solving brother and sister! The kids are clever and smart, and truly brave in the face of danger and nasty criminals. Humorous, interesting and nearly believable. (What parents let their kids go solving mysteries in Switzerland unchaperoned?) The characters and plot were well developed and fun, we'll read more Max and Maddy.
Lessa
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
A good, straight forward 3rd or 4th grade level mystery. The main characters are respectful, don't call each other names, and exhibit logical reasoning. I would recommend this series for kids who's parents want their children to read about characters with traits they can model their behavior after.
M.
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
2nd grade chapter book with a good story--children are hired to solve a mystery involving a bank robbery and a dog--in Switzerland. Exotic location for most 2nd graders, but individual kids will either like learning about somewhere else or they won't.
Megan
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
Coming off the success of the Aunts book, we picked up this one at the next library visit. I don't think i appreciated it as much (it wasn't as quirky or creative, in my opinion), but Madeleine was sold for sure. Certainly a book i'd be happy to offer a kid looking for a mystery.
Tanja
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chn-mystery
A beginning chapter book mystery that will surely find many friends who will hope for more cases to be solved by Max & Maddy. Readers still developing confidence will appreciate the straightforward language that does not overwhelm.
M
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: young readers
An engaging chapter book for children. Doesn't condescend to its readers.
Arpita (BagfullofBooks)

Not as good as the Enid Blyton Five Find Outers mystery series in my opinion. The plot was implausible and too dangerous for two kids to get mixed up in. Still glad I read it.
Ange
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a kid's chapter book. For the age category, it really should have 3 stars. Cute.
Kylie
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Super cute, i think I will read this to my 5 year old.
Anna
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
A great book for younger readers, although as an adult I couldn't accept that the villain had successfully trained dogs to rob banks by themselves when it turned out he was abusive to them.
Nora
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-reading, mystery
MCL. I thought the bank was very nice to Max and Maddy. I like reading mystery stories.
Barbara
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute little madcap story with St. Bernard's and Swiss Chocolate! Would make a nice little animated short.
Jenny Dow
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Great Book for Second Grade. Alexander McCall Smith has a wonderful way with words that makes me want to read out loud! This will be the first Read-Aloud of the year for my class!
Dstrat6134
Luca
Dec 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Cam Jansen and the Summer Camp Mysteries: A Super Special
  • Sophie's Lucky (Sophie, #6)
  • Wolf Story
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • Margaret and the Moth Tree
  • Ruby Lu, Star of the Show
  • Beany and the Meany
  • Pictures from Our Vacation
  • I Was a Third Grade Science Project
  • Secrets from the Sleeping Bag (Blogtastic!, #3)
  • Ducktails
  • The Werepuppy on Holiday
  • Mr. Chickee's Messy Mission (Mr. Chickee, #2)
  • Clover Twig and the Magical Cottage
  • Winnie in Winter
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Secrets of the Terra-Cotta Soldier
  • Chicken Feathers
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what ...more
More about Alexander McCall Smith