Start by marking “Sprouts: The Miracle Food: The Complete Guide to Sprouting” as Want to Read:
Sprouts: The Miracle Food: The Complete Guide to Sprouting

Sprouts: The Miracle Food: The Complete Guide to Sprouting

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Step-by-step, learn how to grow delicious indoor greens and baby vegetables -- in just one week from seed to salad. Includes extensive nutrition charts, seed resources, and questions and answers with Sproutman.
Published July 9th 2002 by Sproutman Publications (first published May 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sprouts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sprouts

Dejana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is so driving me crazy that I want to re-write it. It's 200 pages, and all I want to know about sprouts can be put on 50! Couldn't he just put a chapter entitled Alfalfa- so when I want to sprout it there's all I need to know. Instead, it's all mixed in a big salad, so alfalfa is on page 11, 41, 48,58,...70, 159...etc. Just to find out how long to soak a certain seed takes me half hour browsing through pages.
He also prefers this strange method with bamboo baskets, and most people who
Alex Strick van Linschoten
This was allright. The author is a bit too energetic for my tastes, but he certainly advocates strongly for a vision of food cultivation that would seem pretty pleasant if you could make it all work. I wish the book was better organised, however. Sproutman goes down too many side-discussions and enjoys his little side-comments too much to make this a valuable reference tool. Perhaps when I'm sprouting more myself I will change my mind.
Naomi
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: instructional
Good resource for sprout descriptions, not really for sprouting methods.

For sprouting methods, the author mostly describes what he thinks is the best way - baskets, and bags, so not as helpful in the different sprouting methods.

Has good descriptions of the sprouts and their flavors. Discusses the need for cooking some sprouts - mostly the bean and pea ones.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2008 rated it liked it
This book covers great information on the different methods of sprouting. I didn't care for the format it was written, it jumped around instead of being a smooth read.
Pixie
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was on an email list for the Sprout Man after wanting to buy one of his sprouting bags. What a sad shock to hear of his untimely passing this past September. My heartfelt sympathies to his family. Of all the books I read when I wanted to start sprouting, this one from the 70s that my local library had was the most memorable, because of Steve's enthusiasm and sense of mission. If his spirit could leave such an impression through this little (but very thorough) book, how much more must he be mis ...more
Kathy
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good overview on sprouting methods and seeds for sprouting. Lots of resources listed in back.
Carrie Mason
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book loaded with everything you will need to know about sprouting. A must have for growing your own sprouts.
Aili
Apr 22, 2009 added it
a little too zealous for me, but the information was good.
WitchHaven Apothecary
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must have for kitchen garden sprouting it is filled with much information and easy to follow. I recommend this for anyone who enjoys healthy living with sprouting.

Namaste
Dani
Lisa
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Fun, informative, practical guide to growing sprouts and benefiting from their amazing awesomeness.
Melanie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Helpful in my new endeavor, but rather dated.
Jane Weeks