Start by marking “ Do And Die : The Chittagong Uprising 1930-34” as Want to Read:
 Do And Die : The Chittagong Uprising 1930-34

Do And Die : The Chittagong Uprising 1930-34

AS TAKEN FROM FLIPKART.COM

A forgotten chapter of Indian history come alive
On 18 April 1930 at around 10 p.m., a clutch of men, most of them still in their teens, challenged the might of the British Empire through a series of raids in Chittagong. Their actions stunned the colonial power and ignited the spark of rebellion throughout Bengal.
In this book, the first of its kind
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 408 pages
Published 2010 by Picador India (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Do And Die , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do And Die

Mohsin Khan
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think the first page will make you have a biased opinion of the complete novel. Either you like reading how revolutions take place or you don't.

I started it just a book which will help me know something about a chapter in Indian History that I never read in my text books. Although it just felt like a text book itself, but in the end I think Manini Chatterjee justified what she was doing. A very in-depth research and lots of days is what takes to write such a book, and she manages to give a ver
Vaibhav Anand
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book after I came to know the movie version wasn't really an accurate adaptation of the actual history of the Chittagong uprising. Being a history buff, I really wanted to know what actually happened in Chittagong.

Chatterjee does justice to the subject and keeps you hooked even though you know the fate of the uprising already (from the movie and the one line you read about it in history books). After I read the book, I was sort of pissed off at our education system for passing off su
Supriya
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Disappointed in it as a work of narrative history. I expected justice, not justification. The story itself is heartbreaking and bitter. I'm not sure why we set such store in judging loss as sacrifice.
Sucharita
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well researched book bringing some recognition to the contribution of the armed revolution in the war of independence. Very interesting, very well written.
H
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
Amazing account of young Indians fired by patriotism sacrifice everything.... for the country. No military training no strategic training, yet they got so far!

Worst part is, no textbooks carry this account, not even a cursory mention.
Our kids must know abt such stories n it’s our duty to make our kids read,
Philip Tucker
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was in Bangladesh in October 2012 when I first learnt about a Bengali heroine called Pritilata Wadedar. She was involved in the resistance movement against British occupation of India in the 1930s. Of course, whilst the locals saw her as a freedom fighter, the British saw her as a terrorist. I was lucky enough to be working with a group of police officer friends from Bangladesh and we candidly discussed these diametrically opposed perspectives as a way of understanding the nature of terrorism, ...more
Suriti