Start by marking “The Icebound Land” as Want to Read:
The Icebound Land

The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  52,553 Ratings  ·  1,802 Reviews

Kidnapped after the fierce battle with Lord Morgarath, Will and Evanlyn are bound for Skandia as captives aboard a fearsome wolfship. Halt has sworn to rescue Will, and he will do anything to keep his promiseeven defy his King.

Expelled from the Rangers he has served so loyally, Halt is joined by Will's friend Horace as he travels toward Skandia. On their way, they are cha

Published September 15th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Icebound Land, please sign up.

Angie Lots of local libraries are associated with Overdrive.com, where you can borrow both an e-book as well as the audio book.
Dawn Try your local library - many libraries have an online ebook service and you can also borrow it there.

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice #3), John Flanagan
عنوان: سرزمین یخ زده - جنگاوران جوان کتاب سوم؛ نویسنده: جان آنتونی فلانیگان (فلناگان)؛ مترجم: مسعود ملک یاری؛ تهران، افق، 1391؛ در 380 ص؛ مجموعه جنگاوران جوان کتاب 3؛ شابک: 9789643698373؛ موضوع: رمان نوجوانان و داستانهای کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
C.B. Cook
It's getting kind of repetitive to tag all of these books with "pure awesomeness," but... I mean... HALT. <3 How could that not be pure awesomeness???? Can I like... meet him? Or become his apprentice? My poor baby. Getting himself kicked out of the country and Rangers just so he can go rescue will. <3 <3 <3 (Not a spoiler, since it's in the blurb...)

And then Evanlyn and Will! Will's so sweet and courageous, and Evanlyn is epic. AND HORACE. Okay, so Horace is pretty much my second fa
Johanna
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
And I continue my reading of the Ranger's Apprentice series. I'm pretty sure this one was the last book I had read during my first go at the series.
The story took a bit of a darker turn in this book but exciting nonetheless.
I found it interesting how the author turned more and more away from a single POV story during this book. There were always some chapters from different POVs but mostly the story was told from Will's POV. In this book that became even less (I'm not gonna tell you why because
Rachel Lightwood
Contains minor spoilers.

I know that I've said this a couple of times already but it deserves repeating: I am enjoying this series so much more than I would have ever expected. I've flown through these first three books, and have the fourth book sitting on my bedside table begging to be read. It's completely addictive.

The characters are some of my favourites already. We get to see a new side of all the characters in this sequel. I especially loved getting into Halt's head and seeing him
C.P. Cabaniss
This as another solid fantasy adventure to add to the series. In this installment Will and Evanlyn have been taken by the Skandian Jarl Weak back to his homeland to be sold as slaves. Halt, unwilling to let Will disappear forever, leaves behind the Rangers to go after his young apprentice with Horace as his companion.

Horace and Halt were a fun team, although not as entertaining as Halt and Will often are. Their adventures and dedication to Will were a nice touch to the story and we got to see q
Ashrakat Deyab
2.5 stars- it was OK.
As captivating as they were, if the 200+ pages of this book had been summarized into a chapter or two and had been merged with the previous or next installment of the series, I would have liked it much more. But the plot just doesn't deserve a whole book of the series to itself. And I understand that Flanagan was merely giving the readers a chance to identify with Evanlyn, but he didn't have to cut Will out of the action do so. The series is called the Ranger's Apprentice af
Cody
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was so good with tons of twists.
Cordelianne
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-library
These books are so quick and easy to read, while there is still a lot of action and other things happening. I really enjoy the friendship between Will, Horace and Evanlynn!
Rebecca L. Snowe
This book was so captivating I read it in two days. The third in John Flanagan's 'Ranger's Apprentice' series 'Icebound Land' takes up where 'Burning Bridge' left off in a cliffhanger ending and follows Halt and Horace as they travel to Skandia to rescue Will and the princess. Well to say the least I absolutely loved this book. So exciting and fast paced and vivid and funny and oh man I just LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to read the next few and move on to John's 'Brotherband Ch ...more
Lexie
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 4-stars
7/10. This book was good, but it wasn't as good as the first two and many others in the series. It was a little more slow paced and just not quite as engaging. But it was still good, I still never got bored, which is the main thing. The writing style of these books make them interesting and entertaining no matter what's happening.
Lazybee
Three down 9 to go.

The book was good but not great.
This book comprises of journey and survival of two parties. Horace and halt, will and Cassandra aka evanlyn.

The main purpose of this book is to lay the framework for the next one. And it does a good work in that.
Dan
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, 2016
Very good.
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Reread Jan 2017.

They are growing up so fast and I love them
~ Odette Knappers
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Not as good as the first two, but will definitely continue this series because I can listen to them when I bike to work.
Moriah
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
4.8 stars!!!!
Bobby Luke
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was better than the second book. No stupid scenes like what we get with Horace towards the end of book 2. (Although I don't buy that people didn't realize what Halt was up to at the beginning of the book - it couldn't have been more obvious). We get suspense, but in different forms than we have seen previously. I loved the direction this book went - it was not what I was expecting, and it was captivating.

The end of the book didn't really have what I would call a climax - but these are shor
Hank
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really is a great kids series. My 12 year old loves it as much as he did the first time we listened to it 4 years ago.
Kayla Loewen
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!
I read this book in less than a day, which is not really normal for me.(I tend to read slow!) But it's just so fast-paced and absolutely unputdownable. My love and admiration for Halt increased throughout the whole book as I read all the sacrifices he made in order to rescue Will; purposely publicly insulting King Duncan, and hoping the resulting punishment would be banishment, although it could have resulted in death; being expelled from the Ranger Corps and having to ha
Trisha
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Short and Sweet of It (from Amazon)
Kidnapped after the fierce battle with Lord Morgarath, Will and Evanlyn are bound for Skandia as captives aboard a fearsome wolfship. Halt has sworn to rescue Will, and he will do anything to keep his promise—even defy his King.

Expelled from the Rangers he has served so loyally, Halt is joined by Will’s friend Horace as he travels toward Skandia. On their way, they are challenged constantly by freelance knights—but Horace knows a thing or two about combat.
Janor
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bailey Marissa
(Thanks a lot GR for errasing my first review and making me type this out again. Grr.)

This book is about Halt (who I really want to start calling Logan, but I'll restrain myself) and Horace trying to track down Evanlyn and Will, and about Evanlyn and Will trying to survive their kidnapping. There's a lot of telling instead of showing in this one. It's not the greatest, but it's not too bad either.

Also, because of the showing instead of telling, I don't like Evanlyn. I don't want her dead hate he
Gabriella
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters are great and I loved the story. It broke my heart on multiple occasions because of Will and Evanlyn's situation. The only thing that I didn't like was that the whole gang wasn't together!!! And that's to no fault of writing or anything, just a personal preference. Love the writing and I'm gushing at this point. So.... read this.
Snigdha Thatikonda
3.5 out of 5 stars. This felt more of a filler book to me, and while I did enjoy it, nobody really made any progress. Kind of disappointing, but I will continue in with the series- still fantastic books.
More detailed review to come, as I need to fall back into my old schedule.
Callee
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and would like to give it 3 1/2 stars. My main hesitation in not giving it more stars is bc this book goes on location and characters are separated. I still liked it, but miss all the characters left "at home."
Andrew
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't the best, but not the worst.

Will has been taken
Halt was awakened
He wanted to get him back
No matter who he had to attack
Syd
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything is falling in place, in places where they should be. The power of friendship is remarkably strong.
Ali
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
خوب بود
Jessica McDermitt
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great little book. This one had lots of great examples of the Guardian archetype during the characters' travels. And poor Will! I won't say any more but his main problem in this book broke my heart. And I still love Halt. Can I just have Halt? To keep? I'm sure he doesn't eat much...
Janouk
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars||5 stars
Hadessephy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mg, 2017
I think I am developing a huge crush on Halt. This is my favorite installment so far, packed with adventure and trials of the soul for young Will and EvanLyn. These books are written very well, the author is good at getting you in the grip and you just can't wait to see what happens next. This series is in the kids section but is written smart and surprisingly has many adult themes. The series takes place in a fantasy setting but doesn't shove the fantasy/supernatural down your throat, resulting ...more
Oakleaf Bearers: The Icebound Land 1 1 Oct 20, 2016 04:23PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Ranger's Apprentice: The Icebound Land 1 4 Jan 13, 2016 02:42PM
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • Apartment 255
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • Shadow of the Hawk (Wereworld, #3)
  • Dronningens Tåre (Historien om Mira, #2)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • The Islands of the Blessed (Sea of Trolls, #3)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Halo
  • The Three Furies (Erec Rex, #4)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)

“Ow!" said Horace as the Ranger's fingers probed and poked around the bruise.
Did that hurt?" Halt asked, and Horace looked at him with exasperation.
Of course it did," he said sharply. "That's why I said 'ow!”
271 likes
“Sometimes," Halt continued, "we tend to expect a little too much of Ranger horses. After all, they are only human.” 249 likes